Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Fighters XIII discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    is this worth buying/playing, i knew i said i would buy it prior to release but the demo ultimately put me off [mainly the loading time between all matches, which essentially is just 1 match?]

Personally I think it's a great alternative to SSFIV myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i shall buy it this weekend !
    that and catherine if its out

Untitled-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Personally I think it's a great alternative to SSFIV myself.

That's pretty high praise.

I've been feeling pretty burnt out on buying new FGs I only plan to mess around in (basically everything except the SFIV series).

Would you still recommend KOF to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

i think KoFXIII is worth the buy to be honest. also where yo comeback mechanic at. If anything i think its a shame not alot of people play this. i didnt know much of the game and thought it looked rather ehhh before i got XIII and now its hopped right up to the top of my favourite fighting games right under GG and BB

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

Loading times between matches is a real pain.
    BUT its good fun, high execution game.

I buy more or less everything that komes out with a few exceptions.
    Good fun if your not just fighting Kyos and K' s all the time.

All the best,
    RAZER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Nothing wrong with Kyo.

When 2 many people play him yes there is, same for K'.
    Gets boring man like the twins when AE came out or Bob in Tekken.

At least thats what iv experienced mostly.
    Kyos, K's, Shens, Kulas lol

Fun game though.

All the best,
    RAZER

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I must confess that I've been playing more Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code v.1.07 than KoF XIII lately...

When 2 many people play him yes there is, same for K'.
    Gets boring man like the twins when AE came out or Bob in Tekken.

At least thats what iv experienced mostly.
    Kyos, K's, Shens, Kulas lol

Fun game though.

All the best,
    RAZER

You'll like my team then, Terry Robert Ash.

Never been one to play popular chars :D

I'm terribad at KoF though.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I've been feeling pretty burnt out on buying new FGs I only plan to mess around in (basically everything except the SFIV series).

Hmm for a casual player I'm not so sure. I think SFIV is still the most accessible series for fun (that is until sfxt comes out).

That's not to say KoFXIII is not fun, because it is, but I don't think it really promotes a casual userbase. If it's only messing about then I would recommend to not buy it tbh.

• Advertisement

Monkeyto wrote: »

Hmm for a casual player I'm not so sure. I think SFIV is still the most accessible series for fun (that is until sfxt comes out).

That's not to say KoFXIII is not fun, because it is, but I don't think it really promotes a casual userbase. If it's only messing about then I would recommend to not buy it tbh.
    KoF will teach you better fundamentals than SF4 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

The fundementals in KoF are quite different to Street Fighter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Indeed KoF will teach you to get your ass kicked badly at most games.

-Jump ins all day.
    -Everything is safe on block.
    -Reversals don't exist.

Of course I'm exaggerating... very, very slightly.

Think people are over exaggerating, KoF is fun as long as you know a little bit about fighting games and you're not playing someone who's way beyond your level.

Obviously if you're playing someone who really knows your stuff you'll be destroyed, but isn't that true of every game?

I've done next to no work in the lab and I enjoy it immensely every time I play.

I also can't agree with this notion that SF4 is not fundamentals based.

Indeed KoF will teach you to get your ass kicked badly at most games.

-Jump ins all day.
    Hops, yes. Jumps, no.
    -Everything is safe on block.
    WHAT.
    -Reversals don't exist.
    No, mashing through blockstrings/in combos doesn't reward you.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

No, mashing through blockstrings/in combos doesn't reward you.

It doesn't in SF either, long as you bait your opponent once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Where can I buy this lads..online is the only way it seems.
    Any deals knockin about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

yes because hops aren't a kind of jump, reversals are only ever mashed in strings, never used to punish predictable meaties and I never openly said I was exaggerating...

Oh wait. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Where can I buy this lads..online is the only way it seems.
    Any deals knockin about?
    GAME in Cork had it. Might want to try calling a few GAMEs in Dublin and see if they have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Cheers,
    Tried all the ones in city centre and no joy.
    They must have ordered feck all for stock..either that or there is a big demand for it,which is unlikely.
    Bloody capital,I wish I lived in the culture capital:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Online play has now been patched on both consoles. Haven't tried it out myself yet, but general opinion seems to be that it's a bit better now.

EDIT: Played some online games last night. Did not notice much of an improvement to be honest.

Worst online lag iv ever played with in a fighting game.
    Might try the patched version tonight.... if I can claw my way away from SC5.

All the best,
    RAZER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Fell asleep at 8 last night, woke up late and decided it was finally time to practice a little KoF. Found loads of stuff I am sure I could have done by just reading, but where's the fun in that?

Got Ashes dash into Sans Coulotte off the bat, which could be handy in a pinch.

Was rather amused by the fact you can combo his flash explosion desperation quite easily off his snot ball desperation. Might be worth a punt buffering it to catch an early jump as it's pretty safe as far as I can see.

Was also working on making his sweep safe by cancelling into that horrible kiss move. If you use it at just the right space it effectively makes them stand up into an eye of agamotto. LOL.

His level 3 is SICK for mind games. Guile with Gief's ultra. lol

Was working with Robert a bit too. Think clever play with him might make him a nightmare in projectile play. Think I might be able to scare the crap out of anyone engaging him in a fireball war.

I got one of his bnbs down (my first actual KoF combo) and spent time messing around with him in whatever geneijin is called in this game. Dive kick into ex dive kick into close c into dp into ex dp. So pro :D

So nothing too impressive but a lot of fun, need to really crack it open before Cannes though. Mr KoF is going down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Fell asleep at 8 last night, woke up late and decided it was finally time to practice a little KoF. Found loads of stuff I am sure I could have done by just reading, but where's the fun in that?

Got Ashes dash into Sans Coulotte off the bat, which could be handy in a pinch.

Was rather amused by the fact you can combo his flash explosion desperation quite easily off his snot ball desperation. Might be worth a punt buffering it to catch an early jump as it's pretty safe as far as I can see.

Was also working on making his sweep safe by cancelling into that horrible kiss move. If you use it at just the right space it effectively makes them stand up into an eye of agamotto. LOL.

His level 3 is SICK for mind games. Guile with Gief's ultra. lol

Was working with Robert a bit too. Think clever play with him might make him a nightmare in projectile play. Think I might be able to scare the crap out of anyone engaging him in a fireball war.

I got one of his bnbs down (my first actual KoF combo) and spent time messing around with him in whatever geneijin is called in this game. Dive kick into ex dive kick into close c into dp into ex dp. So pro :D

So nothing too impressive but a lot of fun, need to really crack it open before Cannes though. Mr KoF is going down :D

main_v_athena_e.jpg

Fergus_ wrote: »
    main_v_athena_e.jpg

Yeah, Onion tried that, look where it got him!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yeah, but wait til you have to deal with a good one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Also DooM, you should be playing Terry as a boxer. Hit confirm everything off cr. lp, then again that won't be hard since you'll be cr. blocking everything anyway...
    He's best in mid, he's a monster with meter and HD (800+ damage for 3 stock), and he's not bad at building meter either.
    Almost all of his normals are good, and his standing hp has one of the best ranges I've seen in the game so far.

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    Also DooM, you should be playing Terry as a boxer. Hit confirm everything off cr. lp, then again that won't be hard since you'll be cr. blocking everything anyway...
    He's best in mid, he's a monster with meter and HD (800+ damage for 3 stock), and he's not bad at building meter either.
    Almost all of his normals are good, and his standing hp has one of the best ranges I've seen in the game so far.

Tonight is a KoF night, I shall be taking Terrence for a good spin.

Might hit you up for a few games soon (need to practice for Cannesylvania.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Tonight is a KoF night, I shall be taking Terrence for a good spin.

Might hit you up for a few games soon (need to practice for Cannesylvania.)

Sure. Going to be in for Saturday, I'll give you a few then.

Advertisement