Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Balmed Out wrote: »
    sounds good but I cant see the girlfriend A) wanting to or B) Having the ability to give me a decent game after a few months training.

Keep her around for a bit longer. After two or three years or intensive training she'll be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

Really hope hotseat is implemented well. I remember in Civ2 you couldnt see the other players moves so it was very confusing at the start of every turn...

Greetings from the Civ V team! Another couple of months have passed, and the team has been busy continuing to refine and improve the game based on your feedback. Aside from the already-announced additions of Hot-Seat and Replays, an entire balance pass has been integrated into the game. New features, gameplay systems, and Diplomacy modifiers have all been added. AI refinements continue as well, and the AI is now better than ever at challenging the player. As we move into summer, we’ll continue to bring new and exciting additions to Civ V, including improvements to Multiplayer, and other core areas of the game. Your continued engagement and feedback is what drives the team to keep working, and to make Civ V everything that our fans expect, and for that, we thank you.

Some massive changes to balance of the game. And replay maps and graphs screens are added :)

To answer my previous posts question regarding implementation; hot-seat will have full animations. Delirah! :)

Full list of changes:
    (there's a lot!)
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?108900-June-July-Patch-Notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

to make Civ V everything that our fans expect
    Well they can start with the pbem they promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

They've nerfed a lot of the wonders, defense structures are going to be rubbish as well.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    They've nerfed a lot of the wonders, defense structures are going to be rubbish as well.

They've also buffed a lot of wonders! Most people have agreed that city's were too hard to capture at the start of the game. Wall's defence adds 4 instead of 5 strenth, hardly making them rubbish!
    The happyness changes are the biggest issue I have, it will make the game much more challenging.

As for pbem, 2k greg has said theyre working on it and it's nearly ready. It's half implemented with the saves in this patch anyway. The next big patch after this will revamp the multiplayer entirely. Cant wait to play hot-seat :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wouldn't hotseat be something similar to pbem?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Going from the patch notes, it would seem pbem, like we play civ4 over at darkkeep.com, will be possible after this patch. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

More happiness nerfing. Not sure I like, but then again I managed to win a game with 163 overall happiness not too long ago...

Research agreement nerfing was definitely needed. They were way too powerful giving the full tech.

Quicker to set up Railroads, much appreciated :D

Am actually glad to see a drop in city defense. They were actually quite tough to crack, even when under constant assault by three melee units and two siege units :confused:

Damn, I thought Harbours were finally generically useful, turns out they just become mini-Seaports as well, with Seaports now requiring them and nerfed too :(

"Barracks, Armory, Military Academy and Krepost now provide experience to all units trained." Thank christ. It was always annoying that only land units got the boost, especially since I generally play Small Continents or Archipelago where navy rules supreme.

The Social Policy finishers are an interesting touch, and adds some more depth to the tracks as well. Mertiocracy is back to it's former glory (:)), no longer gives a GP, which moves to the finisher. Honour's got quite a buff.

"Destroyers no longer start with extra sight.
    Extra Sight promotions are now lost with upgrade (Caravel)." Dammit, dammit, dammit. There go my huge-LOS scouting Destroyers :mad:

Ironclad upgrade to Battleship now, eh? That opens them up to early use...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

didn't notice the barracks thing - very welcome. although I will miss my uber recon destroyers too.

• Advertisement

Glad they nerfed destroyers a bit! They were way too valuable. The poor subs had no chance sure!

Found this a good review: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?108907-My-Long-Review-for-the-Upcoming-Patch

Patch is live? Steam downloaded stuff about two hours ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

don't think so.

edit: I got an update too.

It's version 1.0.1.332 now, must be the patch

Yup, patched!

Link to Civilopedia in Main Menu -> Other :)

Cool, looks like we're going to be starting a new game over where we play our pbem games. So if you've a year or two to spare come join us :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

Is the patch only available on steam?
    I got the version from the Mac App store, must go check to see if I can get the update...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cool, looks like we're going to be starting a new game over where we play our pbem games. So if you've a year or two to spare come join us :p

I'd defo be up for it. Might need a new thread to get a list of interested people?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*grumbles about Mac version patches being delayed*

I'd defo be up for it. Might need a new thread to get a list of interested people?

http://www.darkkeep.com/showthread.php?620-Civ-5-pbem

I'd imagine we'll limit the game to 6 or 8 people. Any more and things break down as far as game flow is concerned, less of an issue for us since we're all in 2 to 3 games of civ already :D

YUSSSS!! Patch is live. See you guys in a few days... one....more...turn.... :D

• Advertisement

Well, not sure if the happiness changes properly nerfed it like they seemed they would.

I currently have around +60 happiness with 6 cities, a few happiness Wonders, nearly every luxury resource, Stadiums/Colosseums/Circuses/Stone Works everywhere, about to hit Modern Era in late 1850's...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

We're letting the great unwashed join us? What next, a Justin Bieber theme?

What next, a Justin Bieber theme?
    well we do need a new theme...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

How does that work out? Do ye have a time limit for submission of each turn?

Always wanted to try this method of play. Hotseat in CIV II wasn't quite the same.......

Tenger wrote: »
    How does that work out? Do ye have a time limit for submission of each turn?

Always wanted to try this method of play. Hotseat in CIV II wasn't quite the same.......

Its pretty straight forward, you load your turn and once you've completed it the password for the next player is prompted. At that point you can save the game and upload it for the next player.

As for time limits we normally let the turn go for three days before the red flag of shame is shown, though in practice people normally get a turn every 1 to 2 days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hey guys would you recommend this for someone who admits to sucking badly at rts games like SC2 etc?
    While i enjoy SC2 and similar games concepts im just never tuned in enough or able to think quick enough how to react to what an ememy player is doing.
    When SC2 was released i wached every noob and tutorial video on the net but never got out of the bronze league.
    It all just got frustrating and ive not playing online SC2 since.
    All this hotkey and APM malarky also isnt my thing so i was thinking would a good turn based rts suit me.

Completely different ballgame. CiV V's gameplay suits any kind of gamer. A defensive slow or a quick attack. It really blends a lot of variety of strategies into a completely workable and excellent game. I also suck at SC2 but CiV V gets my vote over it any day, not because I'm better at it, but I can be better in any strategic approach I desire

Completely different ballgame. CiV V's gameplay suits any kind of gamer. A defensive slow or a quick attack. It really blends a lot of variety of strategies into a completely workable and excellent game. I also suck at SC2 but CiV V gets my vote over it any day, not because I'm better at it, but I can be better in any strategic approach I desire

Cheers mate, i might just grab it on the steam sale.
    I saw it on gamersgate for €10 the other day, should have got it then :(

What a game,im hooked :eek:
    Easily the most enjoyable experience ive had with any form of strategy game.
    Ive never played a proper turn based strategy game before but man ive been missing out it seems.
    Everything about Civ 5 oozes class,im only scratching the surface as of now but so far its amazing.

• Advertisement

I pity AND envy you at the same time :) You never played any civ games 'til now?

Pick up Civ4 if you find it cheap too. It's patched to perfection and plays quite differently.

Advertisement