Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

+1
    Haven't played in a few weeks now because it just got unplayable toward end game. When is this patch out does anyone know?

All 2KGreg would say is this month - no specific date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Booooooooo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

Sweet, more improvements! :)
    Disappointed we'll have to wait longer for hotseat multiplayer but Greg said its definately on their list so I'm happy.

Scaled up tech costs throughout the game (slight change for early eras; close to double for Modern)

About time! Definately flew through the late stages of the game way too fast before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Invisible Rivers now display correctly.

Thank **** that's fixed. I've had too many games with an invisible river that pretty much forced me to border it with Roads so I would realise it was there.

I wonder how the economics of the game will change with all these production changes. An extra production to the Palace will make a very clear difference in the very early game, particularly for the first Wonder rush, as will the hit to Aristocracy.

Also surprised it took so long to fix the CS connecting road bug.

Also, major overhaul to the Tradition Social Policy branch. Hopefully when it comes into effect, old save games won't suddenly find themselves massively changed (I know I have two leftover saved games which I had to stop because of the CS road bug).

EDIT: Just noticed it's 40% off on Steam this weekend. Don't know if you can still get it cheaper than €30 somewhere else, but it might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wonder did they fix the bug where stealth bombers wouldn't get promotions? I used to promote my bombers up to a good level then upgrade them to Stealth Bombers. Stealth bomber with city siege level 3 is absolutely lethal!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Some February patch that was..... :rolleyes:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think they've been infected by Valve Time.

Well, they still have a few hours, right? I know TF2 updates have come out 3-4am...

EDIT: Guess it mightn't be until Thursday...

Update released. Haven't tried it myself yet.

• Advertisement

'bout damn time.

/me runs giddily to Civ 5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

143 mb patch and it says it's going to take 4 hours? I have a 20mb connection ffs

Changed to London and it downloaded instantly :rolleyes:

Cities are almost impossible to capture early on now, great :rolleyes:

ShaneU wrote: »
    Cities are almost impossible to capture early on now, great :rolleyes:

Actually, I think that was the last patch that caused that. Although the new Oligarchy doesn't help the situation much!

While I'm glad to be able to get back to two of my saved games I had to stall due to the CS road bug, I think I'm going to have to start afresh, particularly as there are so many core changes, especially to Tradition/Liberty, as well as the production changes, you'd really need to start a new game to get an idea of their real potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

later turn time is a lot faster then it uesd to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Balmed Out wrote: »
    later turn time is a lot faster then it uesd to be.

You mean the AI turn time? That's bloody good news... That used to do my head in.

Yep, late game turn times are dramatically faster for me. Not that I had a problem with it before.
    Not sure about all the new balancing yet though.

Even the early game turn time turnaround is vastly improved from before. Haven't gotten far enough in a new game to experience late-game times - nor have I tried a Huge (12 Civ/24CS) game yet, that will be the real test.

1920 playing on huge map with maximum civs and city states and it's fine. I was waiting a few minutes at this stage before.

Has anyone noticed a difference with the policy balancing. Liberty seems on par with Tradition now. Which tree do you go for? Obviously I pick Honour if I'm going striaght out conquering (no need for settlers).

• Advertisement

I still tend to go for both, seeing as I've never really been a big fan of the later-stage policy tracks like Rationalism, Freedom or Autocracy.

But they both still have their place. Tradition is still good for a civ that is very "capital city"-centric, seeing as you give the capital +3 Culture, +1 Gold for every 2 citizens, and have half the unhappiness per citizen there (or 0 rather if playing as India!). Whereas Liberty is still best for a civ with loads of cities, since it gives them all +1 Culture and +1 Production. Taking the starting track of both is also a viable strategy for +4 Culture in the capital to hurriedly expand borders and to set the stage for more policies quicker. Also that free Great Person for Meritocracy is a big thing. But Tradition now has the benefit of giving +2 Food everywhere and +15% growth though, possibly meaning you now need one less Maritime City State?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Very happy with the performance improvements. The diplomacy screens in particular are MUCH quicker now! I used to have to wait around 5-10 seconds before I could click on one of the buttons even with the animation turned off.

Polynesia civilization and maps were added yesterday as DLC. Bought it off steam for 3 euro. Comes complete with Hawiian tropical music, their unique stones wonder and fat belly warriors. A nice addition!

civ5poly5309.jpg

is it any good? I got the new world one and thought it was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭compaqlaptop1

Got this game and thought it was absolute sh*te. One unit per tile is crap and really has terrible knock on effects for the overall gameplay as is detailed in this article posted by someone earlier on this thread - http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

Takes absolutely ages to build anything, I hear that that is by design so that armies only consist of very few units to prevent the map clogging up because of 1UPT. Whatever the case, I could not be arsed sitting around clicking 'next turn' 37 times for a frigging barracks or catapult to build.

Have you guys ever played civ II? I dont know how anyone who experienced that masterpiece could like civ V.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    is it any good? I got the new world one and thought it was crap.

It wasnt great. I find the best scenario's are on the civfanatics website. There's no amazingly good WW2 scenario out yet and I always love them so I've taken it upon myself to make one. I'm using the civII scenario as a template as it was epically fun!

Got this game and thought it was absolute sh*te. One unit per tile is crap and really has terrible knock on effects for the overall gameplay as is detailed in this article posted by someone earlier on this thread - http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

Takes absolutely ages to build anything, I hear that that is by design so that armies only consist of very few units to prevent the map clogging up because of 1UPT. Whatever the case, I could not be arsed sitting around clicking 'next turn' 37 times for a frigging barracks or catapult to build.

Have you guys ever played civ II? I dont know how anyone who experienced that masterpiece could like civ V.

I've been playing civ since civII aswell and I think you're being a tad irrational!

You can accelerate production if you want to, there's hundreds of mods out. Is that your only quelm? That detailed article is more the most part a load of BS and also outdated.
    The 1UPT system was the best thing that ever happened to civ, eliminating "stacks of doom".
    I could expand in greater detail but im tired and going to bed now.. :P

By the way have you read any actual professional reviewers reviews of the game on the major websites?
    Here's one:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationv/review.html
    ...and that was before the major patches and fixes. ;)

There's another big patch coming out soon to so keep an eye out; the features of it are on the 2k forums.

I hate what the recent patches have done to this game, it's got to the point where I don't even consider domination victories, why did they think it's a good idea for it to be possible to defend a city with one archer against a catapult and 5 horseman. The cities heal far too quickly between turns, it's just farcical. Far too much effort that could be spent towards getting one of the far easier victory conditions.

ShaneU wrote: »
    I hate what the recent patches have done to this game, it's got to the point where I don't even consider domination victories, why did they think it's a good idea for it to be possible to defend a city with one archer against a catapult and 5 horseman. The cities heal far too quickly between turns, it's just farcical. Far too much effort that could be spent towards getting one of the far easier victory conditions.

I dont have any problems getting domination victory, but that said I dont play on the hardest difficulty.
    You know you can turn off the other victory conditions and leave domination and conquest?!

Though I've started to shift more towards playing scenario's like WW2 and shizzle now rather than new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Great, been looking forward to this – hotseat update coming in July.

• Advertisement

sounds good but I cant see the girlfriend A) wanting to or B) Having the ability to give me a decent game after a few months training.

Advertisement