Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Amazon has a good price, IIRC.

Unfortunately I bought it straight from Steam once I noticed they had it available. Although at least that has the benefits of being available as soon as possible, which is helpful for making videos for it :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Amazon has a good price, IIRC.

Unfortunately I bought it straight from Steam once I noticed they had it available. Although at least that has the benefits of being available as soon as possible, which is helpful for making videos for it :P

haha *facepalm* but what you said about making videos is true : )

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nickco

Just started playing Civ 5, never played any of the other ones before though.
    Made a lan with some friends and the game kept on crashing and disconnecting, as you know, having to restart a game is a pain in the ass :/ Kinda turned off of it because of that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nickco wrote: »
    Just started playing Civ 5, never played any of the other ones before though.
    Made a lan with some friends and the game kept on crashing and disconnecting, as you know, having to restart a game is a pain in the ass :/ Kinda turned off of it because of that.

Civ IV LAN is vastly superior. Thoroughly recommend it, on fast settings though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement

Patch out now

[MODDING]

- Steam Workshop enabled.
    - DLL swapping is now possible in-game.
    - Updated mod browser to utilize Steam Workshop.
    - Font Icons are now moddable.
    - Unit art is now fully moddable.
    - Mods are now activated the moment you click "Next" on the mods browser rather than when you click "Single Player."

[ADVISORS & TUTORIALS]

- Improved the queuing and prioritization of advisor pop-ups.
    - Unique advisor portraits per era now show up for the advisor counsel screens and advisor info screens.
    - Adjusted advisor levels down a bit so that experienced users won't see so many tutorials.
    - Fixed several issues with the Tutorials.
    - When selecting "Learn as you play," all tutorial messages are now enabled despite having your options set to "No Advisors."

[MULTIPLAYER]

- When switching players in hotseat, have the new players existing notifications rebroadcast to them. This allows the player to see non-expired notifications such as deal proposals.
    - Fix Diplomacy Deals in Hotseat.
    - Add a few multiplayer error messages to let the player know what went wrong (disconnects, gets booted, etc.).
    - Add invite button to in-game view. (This brings up the Steam Invite list, which is different from the Shift-TAB overlay).

[UI]

- Main Menu now contains an option to activate/deactivate specific DLCs.
    - Quick combat and Quick Movement options are now part of the Options menu and can be changed during gameplay.
    - Options menu now contains "Skip intro video." \O/
    - New Loading screens have been implemented.
    - Diplomacy: Disabled modifiers for trying to win the same way.
    - Diplomacy: Layout changes to diplo modifiers for better readability and more information.
    - Mods and DLC used in a game are now stored in the Hall of Fame database (Only games which match currently active DLC are displayed in the Hall of Fame).
    - The "Time Spent" message now displays in the saved replays.
    - Load Replay Menu now defaults to "Sort by Last Modified."
    - Added a "Retire" button to the game menu.

[GENERAL]

- In some cases, previous saves may not work correctly after updating.
    - Several text bugs fixed (in all languages).
    - Prevent escape from being used when a leader requests a luxury resource from you.
    - Social policies may not be unlocked unless the player has founded at least 1 city.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

any good mods in the workshop?

Who's getting this friday?I see it's 20 euro on the gamestop website

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Who's getting this friday?I see it's 20 euro on the gamestop website

Holy carp! Sold!

Only £13 on amazon

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Only £13 on amazon

ah ya but that's about 25 euro,I just realised you'd probably be better off just going with steam 26 euro because gamestop have the 5 euro for express delivery

ah ya but that's about 25 euro,I just realised you'd probably be better off just going with steam 26 euro because gamestop have the 5 euro for express delivery
    It's €16 :confused:

It's €16 :confused:

strange :confused:

I've had it on Steam since the pre-order was available. Damn this regional release staggering :mad:

I preordered it last week on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I've had it on Steam since the pre-order was available. Damn this regional release staggering :mad:

Can you not proxy into the US?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

VPN won't work if you bought G&K through Steam this side of the pond.

http://www.twitch.tv/bridger15

Stream of civ 5 expansion

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ha that's pretty nifty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Only £13 on amazon
    Gone for this (+ a few books to make up for free delivery.)
    I presume I can add this to my steam a/c for the future?

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    I presume I can add this to my steam a/c for the future?

Well, you HAVE to add it to your Steam account, since it's a Steamworks game.

Damn this is back up to 29.99 on steam again,amazon charging me 25 euro,gamestop it is then :mad:

I got an email asking me to fill out a form from the above crowd,did you get that email too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

In the middle of my first game with the expansion , went the celtic and tried to do a strong faith/religion playthrough

Im doing ok , but i just cant see the big advantage of playing this way, as i find im falling behind a bit technoogy wise, im doing well anytime im attacked i can hold my ground and even expand slighltly to push back more technologically advanced invaders.

But whats the point of the religious style of play, it doesnt seem to give me extra sway diplomatically even though im the strongest religion on the map by a long shot with only one or two minor religions barely surviving elsewhere.

Anyone any opinions ?

Really, religion is there as another thing that you need to manage along with science and culture. Going super-heavy Faith is only a real benefit if your religious beliefs can help to give you a leg-up elsewhere. Also, taking the belief that allows you to buy pre-Industrial land units with Faith can be a big help especially if you find you have too much Faith and not enough of anything else.

From the diplo side of things, it helps keep you friendly with the other Civs if they have taken on your religion, and it also increases the influence resting point with City States who have your religion.

Really, religion is there as another thing that you need to manage along with science and culture. Going super-heavy Faith is only a real benefit if your religious beliefs can help to give you a leg-up elsewhere. Also, taking the belief that allows you to buy pre-Industrial land units with Faith can be a big help especially if you find you have too much Faith and not enough of anything else.

From the diplo side of things, it helps keep you friendly with the other Civs if they have taken on your religion, and it also increases the influence resting point with City States who have your religion.
    Its odd i went faith heavy and the only units i could ever seem to buy in the cities with faith was missionaries and inquisitors. Is there a different way to buy other units ?

Ya having the strongest religion in the land did keep me friendly to a point , but as soon as other civs found their own religion, it has led to them attacking me. Civs that havent founded their own religion want to be all friendly with me.

Im currently transitioning into a Scicence/faith model as i have reached industrial age, i will post back on how it works out.

They've added religion but not added a religious victory scenario, don't see the point in pursuing it.

Its odd i went faith heavy and the only units i could ever seem to buy in the cities with faith was missionaries and inquisitors. Is there a different way to buy other units ?

There's a particular Belief - Holy Warriors - that lets you buy pre-Industrial land units with Faith, and a cost equal to double the gold cost.

• Advertisement

There's a particular Belief - Holy Warriors - that lets you buy pre-Industrial land units with Faith, and a cost equal to double the gold cost.
    ah thanks for that.

The fact that theres no way to get a religous win is a bit disapointing, im holding firm with my belief that its great being dominant religious wise early , but as soon as others start founding their own religions they will hate you , but the other nations that dont found religons seem to want to be best buds with ya.

Advertisement