Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's just not going to plan..is it? And I don't think it their fault. 98fm just seems stuck in a rut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

bbability wrote: »
    It's just not going to plan..is it? And I don't think it their fault. 98fm just seems stuck in a rut.

Yeah more worringly the half million they spent on marketing for Ray Foley & DD. I'd like to see it work out for them as they are both brilliant shows, can't say I listen in between as I'm not in Dublin do I listen online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Yeah more worringly the half million they spent on marketing for Ray Foley & DD. I'd like to see it work out for them as they are both brilliant shows, can't say I listen in between as I'm not in Dublin do I listen online

They are two shows I can see working at a national level but its not working in the Dublin Market. I'd like to hear them on 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

These things take time. If you keep chopping and changing, it'll only hurt you more. Stick with it and things will turn. 98 could do with something better between Foley and D+D though. It would be hard for any Dublin station to compete with that line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah I can't see either side just cutting and running at this stage. With the billboard ads, even the new jingles (I can't remember where I heard it, could've even been here, but I believe the crew they use costs a small fortune), 98 have obviously invested a bomb in making this work. It makes no sense to let a couple of disappointing books undo that. You can hear it: the lads are bringing the quality on-air, I enjoy the show now as much as I ever have, people just haven't had that one big incentive to switch.

One thing I think they're missing out big-time is: local radio succeeds a lot based on virality (whereas national is more loyalty-based over the long-term...another reason I think they did better on Today FM, people who love the show LOVE the show), i.e. a YouTube ad of a funny song getting spread on Facebook or even people just ranting about a caller on Adrian Kennedy and others switching on. I know they do the podcast, but they don't have that instantly clickable thing that's given everyone an excuse to start chatting about it yet (D&D, incidentally, do this quite well from time-to-time). A podcast takes an hour to listen to. A quick YouTube clip of a funny thing happening on the webcams is short, immediate and effective. Doesn't have to be a clip, necessarily, just...something (I have ideas but **** they can call me and pay me if they wanna hear them :p). Something that can achieve that goal and that people will want to spread to their friends. Word of mouth is still the best form of advertisement, especially in radio.

Right now they're just doing very stellar radio. It sucks that it's this way...but that sometimes doesn't do the trick, because people are habitual in their listening preferences so just stick with what they know as long as it keeps doing it's thing. Even a big, clever cash promo can still work in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Looks like they've dropped the new Eh Yeah Okay jingle already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    These things take time. If you keep chopping and changing, it'll only hurt you more. Stick with it and things will turn. 98 could do with something better between Foley and D+D though. It would be hard for any Dublin station to compete with that line up.

Agreed. To everyone saying the 98fm schedule isnt working I say its far far too early. Yes 98 has been in freefall for several years due to constant schedule changing due in my opinion to successive errors by the powers that be in malt house. However in Foley and D and D I think they are on to something of a winning combination, the key with schedule changes especially breakfast is that it takes time. People could be forgiven for being impatient in the light of 98's recent ongoing demise and Foley's remit to turn things round for 98 but a new breakfast format normally takes at least 18 months to bed down. Foley's not even there 10 months.

If Fm104's success has shown the industry anything its the importance of keeping it simple and being consistent, they have thrived by doing so. 98fm on the other hand in the last 5 years have changed to Dublins 98, adopted q102's old purple-ish logo for a time which is one of the reasons q changed their logo colour to blue. Then 98 changed to using the 'classic hits' line to compete with 4fm and q102 and then changed logo colour to red with the tag line Now is good and using Dublins best music mix on air. In the interim 98 have had 3 breakfast formats, several mid afternoon / drive formats and 3 post 7 pm formats. 98 has had no clue of what its identity is, consequently neither did its listeners.

Now fm104 slightly altered their line up by bringing Jim Jim and noble to breakfast , moving Ben murray to the Jam and Killian to Its your call. Potentially fm104's schedule changes could have been disruptive but any disruption was minimised by the domiinance music has on the station over personality, coupled with the utter chaos at 98fm and you have one way traffic from 98 to 104.

Having listened to both breakfast shows, i think Foley will in time take listeners from 104 because its a superior product, but it will take till next year to begin to see a difference. If I was going to change anything about 98's schedule it would be to get rid of the Ryan seacrest show and the Late night talk. Broadcasting a syndicated show from the states might be a money saver in the short term but will win you zero Dublin listeners. As far as Late night weekday talk shows are concerned 104 have that won hands down, Dublin is too small to have 98 , 104 and 4fm doing talk at the same time. 98 need to go back to music after 7pm.

98fm is going nowhere, its DOB's baby since the early days, think about it if he's gonna bankroll phantom then he's not gonna think twice about maintaining his support for 98fm.

In other news, Dan Healey reckons 2FM have turned a corner apparently ? Yes into a cul de sac.

heybaby wrote: »
    As far as Late night weekday talk shows are concerned 104 have that won hands down, Dublin is too small to have 98 , 104 and 4fm doing talk at the same time. 98 need to go back to music after 7pm.

I agree and disagree. I don't think they should compete with a phone show, as Adrian Kennedy and Niall Boylan both know exactly what they're doing in that slot so anyone will just look inferior by comparison. And sending people to bed listening to 104 is also harming your morning show when they wake up with that on too.

But I think it's also an open goal if they were to come up with something different that could compete (and music, in any format, isn't anything different). Listeners just don't have the hunger for that type of phone-in show anymore, it's a format that's played out and hasn't evolved in yonks, but both 104 and 4FM still win by virtue of nothing else being on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

They made a dig at the JNLR on the radio today listening on the podcast.... JP looking out the sun roof of the bus - I'm going up in the world.. Ray- not like out listenership figures

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Re: the need for virality, I think that the video of JP hitting Ray with the car was a foray down that route. Perhaps when they show has a new producer (not sure how this is going, they advertised but nothing's been said either here or on air yet) they'll be doing more stuff.

One thing I think they should try and do is move the vidcasts from Vimeo to YT. I know the reason given for putting it on Vimeo is that they can put up more HD footage, but I think YT is a better way to spread awareness TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

YouTube can be a pain to upload to at times. That could also play into the thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Deeno is gone to Ghana is it ? Strange place for a holiday is it not. I listened to yesterday's podcast and so it is/was Tina today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Those callers for the quiz today were very aggressive. "Ya having a dig ?"

Clearly I was taking the piss

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Re: the need for virality, I think that the video of JP hitting Ray with the car was a foray down that route. Perhaps when they show has a new producer (not sure how this is going, they advertised but nothing's been said either here or on air yet) they'll be doing more stuff.

One thing I think they should try and do is move the vidcasts from Vimeo to YT. I know the reason given for putting it on Vimeo is that they can put up more HD footage, but I think YT is a better way to spread awareness TBH.

YouTube is good because people can subscribe plus people would check it out every day. But, realistically speaking, when you've a massive platform like they have to advertise from, it doesn't matter where the content is coming from as long as you're putting out something people are likely to click and in a way that makes them more inclined to click and want to share it.

The amount of support the station gives them for these areas can also be pivotal too. For example some of the stuff I've seen from Today FM has shown the station will back them fully with extra-curricular activities (though that's an unfair comparison). It's the kinda thing you have to commit to and plan around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Were the lads off yesterday or was there just no podcast?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Were the lads off yesterday or was there just no podcast?

Yeah I was thinking the same. No sign of a podcast but there is one today on sound cloud at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They've been in yesterday and today anyway.

Maybe the lack of Aideen has meant making the podcast seem pointless :P

iseegirls wrote: »
    They've been in yesterday and today anyway.

Maybe the lack of Aideen has meant making the podcast seem pointless :P

There was no links in the podcast on Friday with the news lads. But they talked to phil today at least at the start. I've said it before but funny man.

Mini gauntlet with magazines. Haha. "Amanda brunker on a horse."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mini gauntlet with magazines. Haha. "Amanda brunker on a horse."

Make your own royal baby, part one with this issue! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 disc79

Looking back through this thread am I right in saying that people's perception has changed about foley

Since moving to 98 there are very little negative comments about him and the show compared to his time in today fm.

Personally was a fan of his show on today fm . But the time on 98 doesn't suit to listen , have some of the the early podcast but what put me off was the beds & stings they used ...

disc79 wrote: »
    Looking back through this thread am I right in saying that people's perception has changed about foley

Since moving to 98 there are very little negative comments about him and the show compared to his time in today fm.

Personally was a fan of his show on today fm . But the time on 98 doesn't suit to listen , have some of the the early podcast but what put me off was the beds & stings they used ...

I preferred the format on Today FM, I think by virtue of it being a breakfast show he's too restricted on 98. On the lunchtime show he had more time to 'ramble on' for want of a better term, without the contraints of kid's bits and more-money-minutes, not to mention bulletins taking up what must be a third of the airtime.

Still like him of course. Though I'd rather they mix up the gags a little, getting a bit tired of Jayo and the two Johnnies...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JP always delivers with Jayo, but The Two Johnnies is getting very stale!

Loved the 'Pat Kenny song' this morning!

leggo wrote: »
    I know they do the podcast, but they don't have that instantly clickable thing that's given everyone an excuse to start chatting about it yet (D&D, incidentally, do this quite well from time-to-time). A podcast takes an hour to listen to. A quick YouTube clip of a funny thing happening on the webcams is short, immediate and effective.

Noticed they've been putting up shorter clips on Soundcloud this week. You're welcome for the tip 98FM. I prefer cash but can take cheques. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ray: "It was yesterday revealed that Simon Cowell is to become a father. What is the name of the woman who is carrying his baby allegedly?"
    James:: "I'll confer with that one.."
    Phil: "Awwww God.. I know what she looks like... I googled her to see was she any use!"

Phil's great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What's going on with iTunes? Supposedly the podcast isn't available in the Irish store and I've now been subscribed to something called "The Block"

Eh?

That_Guy wrote: »
    What's going on with iTunes? Supposedly the podcast isn't available in the Irish store and I've now been subscribed to something called "The Block"

Eh?

Yeah listening to today's podcast and it does say the ray foley show podcast in the small writing on downcast but then in big text it says the block with Peter curtain ? The hell ?

I've had no issue with it...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure Peter Curtin is a really nice guy (whoever he is), but I've no interest in listening to his block. Bit of a balls up by the looks of things. Could have something to do with the Soundcloud syncing, I know that's a feature that's still in beta testing, but not an ideal thing to happen for a big commercial radio station.

Advertisement