Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

leggo wrote: »
    Ugh, guessing this is someone from 104 considering it's their first post.

104 do a good job with the way they programme their station, having the shows that get the biggest reaction in the morning and at late night (so people go to bed listening to 104 and wake up with it still on).

That doesn't really account for quality, though. The Strawberries are very tired sounding these days (and I loved that show when I was younger, as I've said many times before, so I'm not biased either way). If 98 were to stick on something different at night that'd get people talking, they'd probably kill 104 over time, considering that their daily line-up is probably stronger when you add Dermot & Dave to the mix.

FM104 are #1 on habit and good programming alone. Those are problems that are (relatively) easy to fix. Having someone talented that can win listeners is the hard part. Right now, 98 have that, they just need to figure out the rest (playlist very much included). Don't put too much weight on one JNLR book - it's not as one-sided a race as it looks by any means.

If you want, consider 98 as Manchester City that season after they had the big injection of cash: they're not going to win the league right away, but they did in just two years when they organised the influx of added talent into a well-oiled machine.

Agreed, Fm104 have benefitted in recent times from two things, the first is being consistent and the second is the inconsistency of the competition.

Fm104's chief competitor 98 fm has changed its focus and lineup so many times over the last 5 yeasr that people have just given up and moved to 104 where they seem very sure of their idenitity. Fm104 keep it simple with their music policy and their listeners vote with their ears. 98 fm really need to tighten up their playlist.

Fm 104 have also benefitted from being the big brother to q102 in the utv stable, its fairly clear UTV have favoured fm104 over Q and the proof is in their contrasting fortunes, while Q is nowhere near as bad a case 98FM it is struggling from a tired format and lack of interest by utv, this will change if it continues to fail at FM104's expense.

The absolute mess that is 2fm and the fact that it attracts so few listeners in Dublin also contributes to Fm 104's and Spin's success. So essentially FM104 is benefitting from tight programming and a perfect storm of woeful competitors. Spin are pushing fm 104 close but I really think if Spin had better on air talent theyd really put pressure on 104.

As for 98 fm, if Foley can start taking listeners from strawberry alarmclock it could sound the alarm , forgive the pun, in macken house. As a duo jim nim and noble are poor on every level in comparison with foley's crew. If 98 start winning back listeners on breakfast they will migrate throughout the day also. I also agree 98 fm need to do something different weekday evenings, I know the Seacrest move was purely to save money but i believe its a silly move, theres notheing 'Dublin' about listening to Seacrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Great podcast only bit today. They miss it I know they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

heybaby wrote: »
    Agreed, Fm104 have benefitted in recent times from two things, the first is being consistent and the second is the inconsistency of the competition.

Fm104's chief competitor 98 fm has changed its focus and lineup so many times over the last 5 yeasr that people have just given up and moved to 104 where they seem very sure of their idenitity. Fm104 keep it simple with their music policy and their listeners vote with their ears. 98 fm really need to tighten up their playlist.

Fm 104 have also benefitted from being the big brother to q102 in the utv stable, its fairly clear UTV have favoured fm104 over Q and the proof is in their contrasting fortunes, while Q is nowhere near as bad a case 98FM it is struggling from a tired format and lack of interest by utv, this will change if it continues to fail at FM104's expense.

The absolute mess that is 2fm and the fact that it attracts so few listeners in Dublin also contributes to Fm 104's and Spin's success. So essentially FM104 is benefitting from tight programming and a perfect storm of woeful competitors. Spin are pushing fm 104 close but I really think if Spin had better on air talent theyd really put pressure on 104.

As for 98 fm, if Foley can start taking listeners from strawberry alarmclock it could sound the alarm , forgive the pun, in macken house. As a duo jim nim and noble are poor on every level in comparison with foley's crew. If 98 start winning back listeners on breakfast they will migrate throughout the day also. I also agree 98 fm need to do something different weekday evenings, I know the Seacrest move was purely to save money but i believe its a silly move, theres notheing 'Dublin' about listening to Seacrest.

See that's what I mean about the easy and hard part: if 98 iron out the creases now then they're literally one inspired, big money promo away from winning a LOT of listeners back. People will listen in for the cash and stay listening for the content. With the Dublin Bus marketing campaign (6 months overdue but still), they're off on the right foot. They just need to sort out the music then pull the trigger on something to kickstart a mass exodus.

I can see what they're trying with Seacrest. It doesn't appeal to me at all, but who knows... there's definitely a market for celeb goss out there. I think the Joan Lea show needs to be scrapped first and she should take up residence elsewhere. The show is like Adrian Kennedy on training wheels. If you're gonna do late night phone-ins (and I don't feel that's the way either, like them or not 104 have their stick to a tee) then either do it right or not at all. Joan simply doesn't have the edge to keep them competitive anymore, she'd be better suited to a talking spot on Q102, 4FM or the likes. And she'd walk into one of those with her experience and name.

They should take a punt at late nights (where you can afford to) to tide listeners over to Foley in the morning, then they've a perfect line-up for the day right up til Seacrest (which could yet find a niche market, and that's all you really want in that slot so they can focus their energy elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

Heybaby - as usual, you try to talk the talk but you fail to walk the walk.

How have UTV shown a lack of interest for Q102? Last time I checked, they marketed the station on bus sides, they revamped their schedule to play more music as recently as September/October and their market share has held. Their playlist is robust. More of your rubbish.

Hate to break the news but 2FM has never (in the last 15 years at least) been dominant in Dublin. Whatever Spin and 104 have in Dublin has zero to do with any RTE offering. If Spin had a better line up they'd put it up to 104 says Heybaby, well the market share seems to say different. The reach on the shows seem to say different. More of your rubbish.

The rest of your most recent blinkered post is full of what ifs and maybes - if it's so simple for 98 to be fixed with a couple of posts on an internet forum then why has 98 been in distress for 5/6 years? If someone like you has all the solutions, how come the actual professionals in 98 can't get it right? How come the shows you mention as being part of 98's huge appeal are down in the latest JNLR?

Your continued support for radio products that are being laughed at in the industry are priceless. How many markets around the world do you consult in Heybaby? Absolutely fu**ing zero that's how many!

The weather is lovely, why don't you go out and kick a ball around?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Podcast only bit was hilarious!

Ray: So how's the cancer?
    Ann: It's gone!
    Ray: Awww.. disappointing..
    Ann: Why is that?
    Ray: Cos you have nothing.. but a bad hairstyle!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Hi All,

Let's please try and keep things civil, attack the post, not the poster, regardless of your opinion of them

as you were!

Splinter

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Basq wrote: »
    Podcast only bit was hilarious!

Ray: So how's the cancer?
    Ann: It's gone!
    Ray: Awww.. disappointing..
    Ann: Why is that?
    Ray: Cos you have nothing.. but a bad hairstyle!

:D

One of the best Podcast Only Bits (POB's from now on? :P) in a long time.

I was doubled over laughing at Paul Collins on about the really long gap in the interview. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think the 6:30 bit is my favourite part of the show. Could be because it's the part I hear most often, but it just seems like they are doing the old POB (you're welcome wnolan :p ) there instead. They often comment how nobody is listening and just talk shite for the first 10 or 15 minutes. If you havent heard it before, use the listen back to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I was doubled over laughing at Paul Collins on about the really long gap in the interview. :)

Paul Collins? Ann? Did they suddenly go back to TodayFM? Right, I'm listening to all 17 unlistened-to podcasts today!

Heybaby - as usual, you try to talk the talk but you fail to walk the walk.

How have UTV shown a lack of interest for Q102? Last time I checked, they marketed the station on bus sides, they revamped their schedule to play more music as recently as September/October and their market share has held. Their playlist is robust. More of your rubbish.

Hate to break the news but 2FM has never (in the last 15 years at least) been dominant in Dublin. Whatever Spin and 104 have in Dublin has zero to do with any RTE offering. If Spin had a better line up they'd put it up to 104 says Heybaby, well the market share seems to say different. The reach on the shows seem to say different. More of your rubbish.

The rest of your most recent blinkered post is full of what ifs and maybes - if it's so simple for 98 to be fixed with a couple of posts on an internet forum then why has 98 been in distress for 5/6 years? If someone like you has all the solutions, how come the actual professionals in 98 can't get it right? How come the shows you mention as being part of 98's huge appeal are down in the latest JNLR?

Your continued support for radio products that are being laughed at in the industry are priceless. How many markets around the world do you consult in Heybaby? Absolutely fu**ing zero that's how many!

The weather is lovely, why don't you go out and kick a ball around?!

I'll address each of your points.

Q102 are playing more music in only one hour of the day, thats between 5 -6pm, this became so when Aiden Cooney took over from Williams on drive, aside from that their music policy hasnt changed, neither has their playlist and their consistently falling JNLR for the last 18 months shows this, meanwhile fm104 with its huge marketing war chest keeps rising in the JNLR. 98 fm are spending 500k euro on their current marketing drive for Foley alone, q102 have never ever spent anything like that kind of money, even if you include the sides of buses in Dublin.

As regards 2FM. If it was a station with an actual identity, a dedicated youth music station as was its remit, it with all its resources could blow both spin and fm104 out of the Dublin water, thats IF. The fact that in the capital city 2FM has 1 % of the Dublin listenership at breakfast is a disgrace for the national broadcaster and its in this context that FM 104 has flourished.

I think the point about any station having a stronger lineup is a very legitimate one. With a stronger lineup Spin would be a better station and would be in an even better place to challenge fm 104.

The rest of my 'blinkered post', much like all my posts are my opinion, not fact. Its absolutely no secret that 98 fm has been in disarray for 5 years, despite a succession of radio professionals and programme directors ( professionals more experienced in the field than me) tinkering with the format, playlist, schedule and jock lineup. The most recent PD Dave Smith (another radio professional ) was flown from Australia, he made his changes to 98fm, then decided the job was too big for him and recently went back home, cue the arrival of Michael Brett, another radio professional. Its also no secret that if you get the breakfast show right, then the effect bleeds through the day. At this point it is far too early to judge whether Foley on breakfast will be a success. As i pointed out in another of my posts, I'm sure you've read, it takes up to 2 years for a breakfast show to bed in. Foley has the raw materials to take many listeners off fm104, thats very obvious.

I have supported no laughable radio products. I would merely like to see 98 fm , q102 , 2fm and spin provide credible competition to the all conquering and in 'my opinion' bland fm104.

Indeed the weather is lovely, but its far too warm for ball games.

• Advertisement

...well we've got an interesting insight into how defensive some are in the FM104 offices today... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Fact! Same! Paul Collins is a legend! They do miss it! :(

Haha is it a bad sign if Paul Collins is crapping all over you as a radio station. Imagine them on todayfm on breakfast with Ann Adelle, Paul Collins ? Hurry up Dempsey for Christ sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 comegowithme

Come now Leggo, because of one observation you automatically assume I'm from 104 ?

Let me tell you something, there are far more than just 'anoraks' and paranoid radio presenters taking an interest in Dublin radio at present. Every marketing institution and sales agency in the city is looking at the current situation.

I like Ray but I also like the strawberry for a bit of light listening in the morning. However, I find that these days at the age I'm at (late 40's) my tolerance level only permits me to listen for short periods. That, of course, can be put down to the fact that I'm way out of both stations' demo.

It's a given that Ray will eventually take listeners from the strawberry but the question is how many and how quickly. The gap between both shows is now more than double and as good as Ray is, it will take more than a little talent and luck to bring 98 to a position where it will be considered a credible rival. And I am someone who has spent many years analysing JNLR books. I agree with the point you made Leggo about not reading too much into the last set of figures. Let's get back to this some time toward the latter part of the year to see how things stand then.

500k on marketing for Foley I hear you say, heybaby. The figure I heard was closer to a million....

It's not just yourself, to be fair. But when people start registering just to attack people making non-personal criticisms of a radio show (which they're entitled to make, stations should be happy that they're at least being discussed even if it's negative...look at how little everyone cares about 2FM at this stage for example!), it's a bit suspicious. I'm sure you can see that side of it too. Nobody outside of a radio station cares THAT much about critiques to come on and start pretty much insulting people. I'm sure there'll be an internal group email being sent around the 104 office tomorrow, if they're smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

500k-1 million spent on advertising for a radio show... That makes me feel a little sick tbh.

I know this will be a huuuuuuugely unpopular post in here, but if (or when) they go to breakfast on Today FM I hope Ann/Adele won't be on it. Any time I listened to the lunchtime show (albeit not many times), they used to really annoy me :o Not that they're not funny or bad at their jobs like, I just don't know what it was. Although I vaguely remember Ann being on Pet Sounds back in the day and I enjoyed her input then, so it must have just been the dynamic with the rest of them? Hmm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Seren_ wrote: »
    500k-1 million spent on advertising for a radio show... That makes me feel a little sick tbh.

I know this will be a huuuuuuugely unpopular post in here, but if (or when) they go to breakfast on Today FM I hope Ann/Adele won't be on it. Any time I listened to the lunchtime show (albeit not many times), they used to really annoy me :o Not that they're not funny or bad at their jobs like, I just don't know what it was. Although I vaguely remember Ann being on Pet Sounds back in the day and I enjoyed her input then, so it must have just been the dynamic with the rest of them? Hmm.

What's that noise?

*listens carefully*

Oh, it's just the angry mob sharpening their pitchforks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Adele hasnt been as good since she went and got knocked up. She doesnt seem as much fun since. Could be just me.

I'd like Deano to go with them even though she is a newsreader.

It's a commercial venture, so you can only really judge that figure in terms of the potential margin, i.e. if they make more money from it in the long run than they spend, it's a sound investment. Looks crazy on paper, but when you add up the potential ad revenue it could garner for the station then it's just a bloated figure. I'd imagine 104 spent close to the same on the whole 'Jim Jim's Back' campaign a couple years back, and probably don't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

€1m seems way overstated. Has anyone any evidence of this?

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    €1m seems way overstated. Has anyone any evidence of this?

I can only find evidence of 500k spend: http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/40694-98fm-launches-500-000-ad-c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The guys had a light discussion/banter before Feedback this morning about how the music has changed for the better on 98FM over the past while.

Obviously it sounds like there were some big talks over the playlist, especially after the dismal JNLR figures.

Lot more different songs being used which is great - although there is a small slip-up at times when Pink comes on. :rolleyes:

Is there anyone out there that actually enjoys Pink songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

I actively turn off when they play Pink songs (which is quite often)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

iseegirls wrote: »
    The guys had a light discussion/banter before Feedback this morning about how the music has changed for the better on 98FM over the past while.

Obviously it sounds like there were some big talks over the playlist, especially after the dismal JNLR figures.

Lot more different songs being used which is great - although there is a small slip-up at times when Pink comes on. :rolleyes:

Yeah interesting point from the lads this morning. They could easily push the boat out and widen the musical net. I would imagine people tune in for the chat rather than the music anyway.

It's not that I dislike them its the fact that one song is played all the ****ing time is the problem.

Hahaha. Just listening to the story about JP and the county Clare SPA and now we know a female reaction to that image is laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Most radio stations are playing pink on rotation,she has a new song out now with lily allen so expect to hear plenty.

The aideen finnegan show ? I could see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The aideen finnegan show ? I could see it.
    I thought that was so funny!!!

I was one of the callers on Eh Yeah Okay this morning, made a show of myself I think :o

Advertisement