Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

Here is the problem for the show as far as I see it.

I am like the majority of radio listeners in the morning, I will switch the dial at the slightest reason.

For me the main reason I turn off Foley is that he never seems to be on. This week I tried 98fm about 3 times in the morning and every time I heard the lady (Claire?) on instead and switched straight away.

I won't try again for at least a week.

Main cause is that they always seem to be on holiday. At least Dempsey is nearly always on the radio when I switch to Today.

I can't listen to the Strawberry for more than 2 minutes and the only reason Hector would go on would be by mistake.

So for me Foley is up against Dempsey and also Newstalk.

But he needs to be on the radio a bit more than he is.

I couldnt of put better myself. Not from dublin but from time to time if im up early enough i give him a listen online or through the telly but he always seems to be sick or off or when he ever is so on he sounds half sleep and ready to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I just feel the music being played every day is absolutely dire. Pink, Bruno Mars and more Pink. It's been discussed so much since he moved to 98FM, but his lack of ownership of the songs being played is so crystal clear.

The best time the music is good is when he plays his own Friday mix at the end of the week.

I was thinking back to his show on Today FM, and the way listeners could ring in and request any song at all. He's also have the craic with the listeners. That doesn't happen anymore.

Strawberry Alarmclock do a good job in going through their usual Top 10 list of whatever (robbed from buzzfeed or dailyedge), and getting the listeners to email/text in with their thoughts on the list. This interaction with the listener I feel is crucial and adds a lot to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

They should get rid of the kid's bit too, they put in a lot of effort for what is basically crap shoved on them by the radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

They'll surely have something to say about all this Boards activity on Monday's show!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

iseegirls wrote: »
    I just feel the music being played every day is absolutely dire. Pink, Bruno Mars and more Pink. It's been discussed so much since he moved to 98FM, but his lack of ownership of the songs being played is so crystal clear.

The best time the music is good is when he plays his own Friday mix at the end of the week.

I was thinking back to his show on Today FM, and the way listeners could ring in and request any song at all. He's also have the craic with the listeners. That doesn't happen anymore.

These are two great points.

The amount of times a text has come in asking for some brilliant song and Ray's just said "You do realise this is 98FM right?" is countless at this stage.

Like, I get that the station has a music policy but, seriously, in a personality driven show like this there has to be a certain amount of leeway. I refuse to believe what seems to be a consensus on commercial stations that listeners are going to turn off en-masse if they play the Foo Fighters or something rocky. What I'm damn sure certain of is that I would turn off instantly if I heard the same songs over and over again. I know as soon as I hear Pink come on a station I switch off, not because I dislike the song (it's impossible to dislike Pink because her music is so bland) but because I've heard it so often I'm sick of it.

On listener interaction, yeah, it's certainly lacking. I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're so pressed for time and don't have a time where they can just ramble on. On Today FM you could tune in after the news at 12 and they might spend 25 minutes chatting, talking to listeners, reading texts and what-have-you, whereas now the only real chance they get to do that is at 6:30.

Personally, I'd be in favour of ditching the kids' bit, potentially ditching "Eh, Yah, OK" and doing more random rambling stuff. But I doubt that would ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

We all talk about getting rid if the kids bit and now Eh Yeah Okay (both of which I would personally agree with getting rid off), but realistically they are two of the main bits of the show which allow the lads to interact with listeners. So if people feel more of that is needed, why should such features go?

I love the show and I think the team put a huge amount of work and effort into what they do. But obviously 99% of Dublin/surrounding areas don't agree with me going by the listenership figures. I don't think its even the music that's the issue; it seems to go deeper than that. Wouldn't like to be the person with the job of finding out why and how to change it...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Seren_ wrote: »
    We all talk about getting rid if the kids bit and now Eh Yeah Okay (both of which I would personally agree with getting rid off), but realistically they are two of the main bits of the show which allow the lads to interact with listeners. So if people feel more of that is needed, why should such features go?

Just from a personal point of view I think the kids' bit should go because it takes up time from the show that could be used better (with a random feature like a parody song, story, etc). I think it comes across as just ticking the boxes. "Oh, we're a breakfast show, let's have a segment where we talk to some kid... but we don't really want to do this, so let's try and subvert it by obviously scripting answers and doing games that don't really work on radio like Rock, Paper, Scissors to take the piss out of the whole thing." (not saying that that was the thinking behind it, that's just how it comes off to me)

I only mentioned Eh, Yeah, OK because I've been listening to it since The Blast days, so it'd be nice to see a new feature. But I suppose to be fair it's been pretty good the last few weeks with getting the same guy on every morning. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

stannis wrote: »
    They should get rid of the kid's bit too, they put in a lot of effort for what is basically crap shoved on them by the radio station.

Exactly, they do it as well as they can but it's an awful principle and is not what the audience wants. I switch over to SPIN for Ryan & Tracy's Naughty Threesome when the Kids Bit is on and won't bother switching back up to when I get to college at 9:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

You're all missing a massive point

Foley was on a radio station where the show before him HANDED him 240+ thousand listeners of which 150
    hung around.

Now he has to start from scratch on a station that's changed breakfast presenters every other week

I'm devastated for them, but hopefully things will stabilise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Hey Ray when you're reading out these comments on Monday's show... gimme a shout out :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Such a shame that they're not getting the listeners. Having them off for so many weeks during the year isn't going to help matters either.

As many people have said, continuity is the key and it's lacking with so much time off.

I think a time limit on their chatting segments really stifles the show a lot which is a shame as I think Deeno and Phil especially add a lot to proceedings and their dynamic is great.

I get the feeling that Ray is getting fed up with the music he can and can't play. When picking first songs, somebody might mention Queens Of The Stone Age or something and he'll say, "we can't play that, we'll get in trouble".

98's music policy is utter crap anyway. "Best music mix" my hoop. Same generic shíte being churned out over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think the problem is that a lot of his previous listeners(myself included) are outside of Dublin which wasn't a problem on today fm as we counted toward the figures as we listened live. I listen through the app but we don't count.

The show is more tightly run now than before but breakfast radio seems that way in general, so the lads can do less of the messing and ****e talking they used to do.

The kids bit needs to be killed with fire SOON. It's not even remotely good.

I think the fact that Deeno and Phil are only after the news is a good thing and helps them not become over exposed. I think if Deeno and Phil were in studio for four hours id get bored with it. Less is more I think as Phil and Deeno are clearly on the same page personality wise with ray and JP.

That's my opinion anyway.

Lovely hurling.

The lads are in the studio in Dundrum as 98fm are getting a new studio in the malt house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,850 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

They're after switching out the Big Money Minute and Obligatory Kids bits now.

They're taking the busiest time of the morning (after 8am news, when most people are on their commute and are integrating what is arguably the least popular segment?

Hmmmm...

Multi baby max.

Just give the money to Donal for jaysus sake.

JP is walking up to women in underground carparks this morning.sure if you've tried everywhere else.

The caller talking about her billions family members and the 25th of December and in the background you hear Deeno go "what?." I found that funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Weird ad break right in the middle of the Eamon Dunphy interview today.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Weird ad break right in the middle of the Eamon Dunphy interview today.

am guessing it was a pre recorded interview so they just played bit before the break and a bit after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

am guessing it was a pre recorded interview so they just played bit before the break and a bit after

And the fact that he was on Today FM and pretty much exactly the same time ;)

And the fact that he was on Today FM and pretty much exactly the same time ;)

and the fact that they said they were live from the Dundrum studio... but the pic from their facebook page was from the 98fm building .

I have too much time on myhands :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

During the 'free money minute'.

Ray: You're in bed? Are you alone?
    Caller: My girlfriend is with me.
    JP: Are you in touching distance?
    Caller: We are.
    Ray: Is she going to give you a ha.... Is she going to help you with the quiz?

That_Guy wrote: »
    During the 'free money minute'.

Ray: You're in bed? Are you alone?
    Caller: My girlfriend is with me.
    JP: Are you in touching distance?
    Caller: We are.
    Ray: Is she going to give you a ha.... Is she going to help you with the quiz?
    I heard that too hahaha may have wee'd a little when i was laughing at it...

and also laughed at the amount of times he "hit the wrong button" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Were they on this morning? Doesn't seem to be a podcast...

Edit: its up now

Phil got shafted on seven days yesterday. Shockers of questions in all fairness.

The child today wasn't a complete disaster.

Adelle had a baby boy yesterday. When JP said the weight I was thinking the same as Phil. The snapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

When's the 1 year anniversary of starting on 98? Or has it already gone past? Haven't noticed them mentioning it and was just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Seren_ wrote: »
    When's the 1 year anniversary of starting on 98? Or has it already gone past? Haven't noticed them mentioning it and was just wondering.

He started on November 19th according to their facebook

Advertisement