Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seren_ wrote: »
    Poor Ray is the only one without an award thus week now haha.

Well him and phil, although Phil is now broadcaster phillip egan while ray is just....ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭buster180

Its True.... The show should be fun tomorrow

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4 salsal

buster180 wrote: »
    Its True.... The show should be fun tomorrow

image.png

The hunk won !!! GO JP !!

The lads are off next week. Jaysus more best bits marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Dermot and Dave are off this week. More repeats too I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

yesterday was international no bra day... they're not continuing it next year because there was no support.. had me laughing

Funny leprechaun skit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That was the Ray Darcy show. I thought it was decent

Haha I'm sure ray is devastated that the celebrity apprentice isn't doing the interview on 98fm the day after, because I'm sure he was so looking forward to interviewing amanda brunker.

And i laugh at the saoirse Ronan accent impression.

• Advertisement

Ah sweet baby Jesus and the orphans the lads are off for TWO ****ING WEEKS ? Ah here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Ah no, is it definitely two weeks? I've been in the wesht this week and couldn't listen anyway, but will need my morning fix next week to get up for class! Might give Cooper & Oonagh on iRadio a spin so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Claire Solan is a lot better than the other guys they had standing in for Ray and JP before, but really do miss the lads in the morning, even I do only get to here them for 25 mins on my drive into work.

Is there a reason why Claire doesn't take on a few segments like 7 Days? Deeno and Phil just say their bits every half hour - but it would be nice if she interacted with them more outside of the bulletins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Is this the second week the lads are off or the third?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Is this the second week the lads are off or the third?

This is the second week

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The weeks seem somewhat longer without the podcasts.... :o :P

Dermot and Dave off today too. Obviously you'd hope it's nothing serious that has the boys off as I don't think it was advertised but 98fm seems absolutely unreal for people taking time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Just having a look at the JNLR listenerhsip results pulished today for Ray and JP and its not good. Based on the average quater hour (AQH) figures they are 8th in Dublin, Hector is even ahead of them in Dublin...this is a very poor result! Their highest AQH is about 17,000 whereas the Strawberry on 104's AQH peak is about 47,000.

Where do they go from here?

Ref: http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2013-q3-dublin-listenership

Upwards I reckon. Strawberry alarm clock has been going for years and would have a core of listeners. It takes time for a breakfast show to get off the ground, especially on a middle of the road station.

Foley would have no prob taking a 2fm slot and getting better listener figures. Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Upwards I reckon. Strawberry alarm clock has been going for years and would have a core of listeners. It takes time for a breakfast show to get off the ground, especially on a middle of the road station.

Foley would have no prob taking a 2fm slot and getting better listener figures. Guaranteed.

I agree that the only way could be up, they are rock bottom. The trend has been downwards since they have started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bring them back to the national airwaves!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The next book will be the first that is wholly their own. I think if there isn't an increase then then they could be in serious trouble.

Though you'd hope that adding Adrian Kennedy to the station might get more people listening to the station as a whole, so the figures in Q1 next year might be worth waiting for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The amount of holidays cant be helping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The next book will be the first that is wholly their own.

Afraid not. This was their first 12 month on air book.

Afraid not. This was their first 12 month on air book.

Well, first 11 months. :P

But yeah, you're right, I mixed up dates. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

So are their listener numbers up or down? I can never understand the JNLR figures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Cue the new jingles... like the last time...
    The Ray Foley Show..... Dublin's 7th most popular breakfast show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Here is the problem for the show as far as I see it.

I am like the majority of radio listeners in the morning, I will switch the dial at the slightest reason.

For me the main reason I turn off Foley is that he never seems to be on. This week I tried 98fm about 3 times in the morning and every time I heard the lady (Claire?) on instead and switched straight away.

I won't try again for at least a week.

Main cause is that they always seem to be on holiday. At least Dempsey is nearly always on the radio when I switch to Today.

I can't listen to the Strawberry for more than 2 minutes and the only reason Hector would go on would be by mistake.

So for me Foley is up against Dempsey and also Newstalk.

But he needs to be on the radio a bit more than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭D3sperado

Here is the problem for the show as far as I see it.

I am like the majority of radio listeners in the morning, I will switch the dial at the slightest reason.

For me the main reason I turn off Foley is that he never seems to be on. This week I tried 98fm about 3 times in the morning and every time I heard the lady (Claire?) on instead and switched straight away.

Totally agree, used to always listen to Dermot and Dave on breakfast but switched to Newstalk after a couple of weeks of Aidan and Claire starting. Moved back to 98fm when Foley & JP started but I'm certainly not going to hang around to listen to Claire Solan for two weeks after previously jumping ship from her programme a couple of years ago.

Have been listening to Newstalk again for the past couple of weeks and have to say that I'm really enjoying it again with Ivan Yeats back in the slot. I will probably switch back to 98fm on Monday morning but its getting close to the stage where the dial is just going to be left on Newstalk in the morning (as its already there from Off The Ball from the evening commute).

I don't understand why the two lads always have to be off at the same time, sure everyone deserves holidays but there has to be some continuity. I've never listened to a show before where both hosts are off together so often.

• Advertisement

D3sperado wrote: »
    I don't understand why the two lads always have to be off at the same time, sure everyone deserves holidays but there has to be some continuity. I've never listened to a show before where both hosts are off together so often.

Nail on the head there I reckon.

Dublin has never liked Foley and JP anyway. I'd love to see them turn it around, I know and ye know that they are kicking out quality radio (when they aren't off :p ) but I don't see it happening. Their audience was a national one when at TodayFM, and Dublin on the whole still doesn't listen to TodayFM, so they lost a huge chunk when they went to 98fm and figures have only regressed. I don't know anything about Adrian Kennedy but it will be interesting to see if he can help 98 and by association TRFS.

Obviously, if it was up to me they'd be back on a national station. Ideally TodayFM, but can't see where they'd fit in there in it's current state. Hector isn't doing too well either, 2fm could do a lot worse than take a punt on Ray and JP imo.

Advertisement