Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sorry to hear that guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Depression coming back to me again too. 2012 hadn't been too bad until yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Haven't taken meds since Sunday night, withdrawals are starting.. Sat on the Luas sweating and shaking with a terrible headache and puked when I got off. According to my family it looks like in coming off heroin or something. Thursday can't come quick enough, in desperate need of a prescription.

Haven't taken meds since Sunday night, withdrawals are starting.. Sat on the Luas sweating and shaking with a terrible headache and puked when I got off. According to my family it looks like in coming off heroin or something. Thursday can't come quick enough, in desperate need of a prescription.

If I'm in this kind of situation my GP will write me a short term script for free. I've a good GP though and she's very familiar with my prescription. I'm not sure if your pharmacy can help but it might be an idea to ask them if they can do anything for you.

I'm having a **** night. Not out of the woods yet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Nesf: gp isn't there of a Wednesday unfortunately. I'd get an emergency prescription from the chemist but the last time I did that it was over twenty euro for two out of the four I'm on.. And that was just for a days supply! Very very grateful for the medical card, I dunno how anyone manages to afford these things otherwise. Anyway, my cousin is going to come around soon, he's on one of the same as me - efexor, which is what I reckon is making me feel so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So I broke my ten month streak of not hurting myself last night. In a moment of madness, so to speak. And I went over the top, so to speak. And it needed stitches today :( so not in the best frame of mind

I just... wanted it to go away for a bit. Just a bit. Even if it hurts like it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

cloud493 wrote: »
    So I broke my ten month streak of not hurting myself last night. In a moment of madness, so to speak. And I went over the top, so to speak. And it needed stitches today :( so not in the best frame of mind

I just... wanted it to go away for a bit. Just a bit. Even if it hurts like it does now.

You said you had been going to Pieta House? When can you go next?

I have an appointment for friday morning, 10am.

Bad that it happened, good that you're talking about it on here.

• Advertisement

Cos I feel so regretful about it :( I know it never helps, never does. All it does hurt, and give me one more scar to cover up. I just wanted to feel something, that wasn't this nothing, despair, for once. Even if it is physical pain. And now, I just feel like a arse.

Cos I feel so regretful about it :( I know it never helps, never does. All it does hurt, and give me one more scar to cover up. I just wanted to feel something, that wasn't this nothing, despair, for once. Even if it is physical pain. And now, I just feel like a arse.

Yeah but hiding it is the worst thing. Some people never talk about it, hide the scars well and pray it never comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

absolutely nobody here thinks of you as an arse for doing it. it's great that you avoided it for so long. and you're looking for the help that you need. it's only a set back if you let it be. It's really good that you could share it on here, that took courage!

Nesf: gp isn't there of a Wednesday unfortunately. I'd get an emergency prescription from the chemist but the last time I did that it was over twenty euro for two out of the four I'm on.. And that was just for a days supply! Very very grateful for the medical card, I dunno how anyone manages to afford these things otherwise. Anyway, my cousin is going to come around soon, he's on one of the same as me - efexor, which is what I reckon is making me feel so bad.

Ahh, Effexor, yeah I've had the withdrawal effects, not nice at all! I forgot them after travelling to Dublin for a weekend once. Very "interesting" experience indeed. You have my deepest sympathy on this one.

Yeah, but online is different i suppose. I met my girlfriend online funnily enough. I'd never discuss this with people I know. Last year when I.... did this, but worse, to try to kill myself, I confided in a school friend, who swore he wouldn't tell another soul. 3 days later, pretty much everyone knew. So, not telling anyone.

Yeah, but online is different i suppose. I met my girlfriend online funnily enough. I'd never discuss this with people I know. Last year when I.... did this, but worse, to try to kill myself, I confided in a school friend, who swore he wouldn't tell another soul. 3 days later, pretty much everyone knew. So, not telling anyone.

It gets easier to tell people as you get older. People take it more seriously and can hold their tongues easier. Well, I found that anyway.

Yeah, I can imagine so. not even 19 yet is **** :( People I know, talk about how mental health is stigmatized, and how if they need any help, turn to them. Yet, those same people wouldn't give me the time of day If I needed someone.

Anyway, I'm being self indulgent. Stitches aren't in for long really are they. How is everyone else?

How is everyone else?

Crap, but the kids are asleep so I can wallow in misery in peace. :p

Early night? Everything seems worse when you're knackered :P

Early night? Everything seems worse when you're knackered :P

Nah, I finally get some peace and can listen to some music or an audiobook in peace for a while. No way I'm getting an early night, I'm not particularly bad tonight just low and somewhat miserable.

• Advertisement

Fair enough :) early night can work wonders when your feeling more down than usual, I find :)

Fair enough :) early night can work wonders when your feeling more down than usual, I find :)

I've had difficulty falling asleep at night since I was several years younger than you. ;)

Fair enough ;) can't say I sleep much myself. Nightmare. Normally watch bad tv all night.

I'm ok once I get to sleep normally. Thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Been doing well today. I didn't do any exercise, went shopping instead, which normally gets me a bit down, trying to find things to wear that don't make me feel self conscious. I got something, so don't feel too bad. it's still getting to me that my exercise hasn't done anything.

i'm kinda getting into my cooking though, a bit more interested. just have to hope my motivation keeps up.

I've got an interview for next week, which is already making me quite anxious but i'm trying not to worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

nesf wrote: »
    Ahh, Effexor, yeah I've had the withdrawal effects, not nice at all! I forgot them after travelling to Dublin for a weekend once. Very "interesting" experience indeed. You have my deepest sympathy on this one.

Eep! That sounds pretty bad.

I'm lucky that I've never really had any physical side effects from medicines; either taking them or stopping taking them. (I'm probably on a lower dose though)
    After a really good September though I did neglect taking my Efexor for a little while; it was stupid but in my mind I felt like I was doing really well and didn't need them. Few weeks later I was back to feeling awful again, so much so that I ended up being dumped because I had become "too negative" :rolleyes:

My GP put me back on a very low dose (75mg) and I've been feeling ok again since. Still, it does scare me a little to think I could have the same kind of trouble if and when the meds get phased out. As much as I appreciate the help I get from them, I can't bear the thought of being dependent on them forever. :( It's not even so much the physical withdrawal symptoms that worry me as it is the mental withdrawal. What if my happiness and my sanity are dependent on them and if I ever stop taking them that happiness and will to live would simply go away?

I've actually been in really uncharacteristic good moods recently; going to China in a couple of weeks and got accepted to do a Masters over in Nottingham in September. My GP has given me meds to take to China with me but will probably to consider phasing them out gradually when I return home. Things could hardly have gone any better so far in January, yet I'm still stuck thinking about "but what if?.."

From my experience, every silver lining seems to come with a cloud. I just want that feeling to end, and if I can't get past it even when things are going well for me....well what does that say about me?

Eep! That sounds pretty bad.

I'm lucky that I've never really had any physical side effects from medicines; either taking them or stopping taking them. (I'm probably on a lower dose though)
    After a really good September though I did neglect taking my Efexor for a little while; it was stupid but in my mind I felt like I was doing really well and didn't need them. Few weeks later I was back to feeling awful again, so much so that I ended up being dumped because I had become "too negative" :rolleyes:

My GP put me back on a very low dose (75mg) and I've been feeling ok again since. Still, it does scare me a little to think I could have the same kind of trouble if and when the meds get phased out. As much as I appreciate the help I get from them, I can't bear the thought of being dependent on them forever. :( It's not even so much the physical withdrawal symptoms that worry me as it is the mental withdrawal. What if my happiness and my sanity are dependent on them and if I ever stop taking them that happiness and will to live would simply go away?

I've actually been in really uncharacteristic good moods recently; going to China in a couple of weeks and got accepted to do a Masters over in Nottingham in September. My GP has given me meds to take to China with me but will probably to consider phasing them out gradually when I return home. Things could hardly have gone any better so far in January, yet I'm still stuck thinking about "but what if?.."

From my experience, every silver lining seems to come with a cloud. I just want that feeling to end, and if I can't get past it even when things are going well for me....well what does that say about me?

I was on 300mg or 350mg back then (I forget). These drugs effect everyone differently I knew people who could handle missing a dose no problem, hit me like a truck though if I forgot one. I wouldn't worry about it if the drug is suiting you. :)

Don't phase out the drugs without talking to your doctor first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

nesf wrote: »
    I was on 300mg or 350mg back then (I forget). These drugs effect everyone differently I knew people who could handle missing a dose no problem, hit me like a truck though if I forgot one. I wouldn't worry about it if the drug is suiting you. :)

Don't phase out the drugs without talking to your doctor first!

I've never been on a dosage that high, thankfully. But reading stories about people having side effects and stuff, I can't help wondering if me not having any means the drug isn't doing a whole lot? Objectively I know that's a stupid thing to think, because I know drugs can effect different people in different ways, but when the mind wanders it sometimes comes up with the silliest things.

And trust me, I've learned that stopping the drugs randomly without talking to a GP is a bad idea. I didn't actually make a conscious decision to stop taking them, it was more just a laziness thing; it was more "Meh, I couldn't be bothered" as opposed to "I refuse to take this", if you get me. But I know better now. Won't be making that mistake again. :)

As well as three months worth of the Efexor, my GP also gave me antihistemines, an insect cream, an antibiotic and tablets for indigestion and stomach problems for China. If customs check my bag they're gonna think I'm off to set up a black market pharmacy or something! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Couldn't get valium or anything to help me sleep off my 'friend',what a wasted journey.Going to be a long,long night.

• Advertisement

I've never been on a dosage that high, thankfully. But reading stories about people having side effects and stuff, I can't help wondering if me not having any means the drug isn't doing a whole lot? Objectively I know that's a stupid thing to think, because I know drugs can effect different people in different ways, but when the mind wanders it sometimes comes up with the silliest things.

No, basically what happens is that most of the people who get side effects bitch about them online and very, very few of the people who get no side effects make any comment about the drug's lack of side effects. In my experience anyway. Side effects or the lack thereof don't have anything to do with whether the drug is working or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement