Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Sorry for hogging up this great thread, but just wanted to drop in and say I'm having a real hard time tonight. Even took one of my sleeping tabs to try and get a sleep as I'm up early for college tomorrow but as you can see its still not doing nothing.

Just feeling really anxious and shaking all day today. Just a sense of doom following me around, anyone else get like this?

That's what this thread is for, we're not usually so flippant. Do you have any reason to feel like that? If the answer is no, try telling yourself that you are only "having thoughts" about doom there is nothing actually about to happen. It's ok if you cant sleep, just allow yourself to rest, try listening to some meditation music. Hope thst helps. Goodnight History Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Sorry for hogging up this great thread, but just wanted to drop in and say I'm having a real hard time tonight. Even took one of my sleeping tabs to try and get a sleep as I'm up early for college tomorrow but as you can see its still not doing nothing.

Just feeling really anxious and shaking all day today. Just a sense of doom following me around, anyone else get like this?

Hi HM,

Dont worry. This is very common with anxiety. Well done for getting this far. You have to let the tablet work and dont fight it.

Try sone of the mindfulness mentioned above and see if it helps. Try and let the anxiety be and recognise that it cant and wont hurt you. It will start to decrease then.

Easier said tgan done but it honestly works

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

I really find breathing exercises a big help (sounds silly, but give it a chance..)
    Inhale for five seconds and exhale for seven.

Hey HM,

How was the night? Did you go to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hey HM,

How was the night? Did you go to college?

Hey Unlibac!
    I had an alright night, ended up sleeping it out for my first class, but got there in the end. Assignments coming up are stressing me out, but I done that Yoga for beginners, brilliant resource. Can't thank you enough for posting it.

How are you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Been a while since i posted, just dropping in to say hi (also welcome to any newcomers) I've been going through a tough time of late, physical pain keeping my mood low, then took a massive nosedive yesterday and had to go to bed for fear of doing anything serious. Ho hum. Bit better today. Won't be leaving the house though..

How is everyone else?.

Hey Unlibac!
    I had an alright night, ended up sleeping it out for my first class, but got there in the end. Assignments coming up are stressing me out, but I done that Yoga for beginners, brilliant resource. Can't thank you enough for posting it.

How are you?

Hey HM,

Thats great you made it into college. Always endorse for effort, once you tried!!

That was CMJ with the yoga, but don't mind taking the credit :P.

I'm good. Up to my tonsils in work as usual, long hours aren't fun but its worth it.

Are you in group assignments for any of them? Try not to worry about them and remmeber you are not the only one stressed about them. Try not to get in to asking others how much they have done (or not done), just makes it more stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

One of them days when you know it's gonna be a bad one from the moment you wake up.. Back to bed for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Been a while since i posted, just dropping in to say hi (also welcome to any newcomers) I've been going through a tough time of late, physical pain keeping my mood low, then took a massive nosedive yesterday and had to go to bed for fear of doing anything serious. Ho hum. Bit better today. Won't be leaving the house though..

How is everyone else?.

Hi Gremliertia. Nice to hear from you again, I often wonder how you are. Sorry to hear things haven't been great, but glad you're feeling a bit better today. Life sucks sometimes, but not always. :)

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone else afraid to get a job that it brings about depression/suicidal thoughts/running away thoughts? After finishing college and everything, and just when looking at employment opportunities and thinking about it, I get bad. Doctor and psychiatrist say that I should get a job just to have a structure, but after the last one, I'm afraid it'll just pile too much on to me again where I can't cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea titan I'm in the same situation, finished college taking time out to get the fundamentals because I would have just descended into hell with a job right after college. Just signed on there despite family and social scrutiny but it doesn't effect me because I have my own welfare at heart.

Ah **** that pun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I've been very normal the past week. No real anger outbursts or mood problems outside of a harder depressive episode than usual a few days ago. At the moment I'm feeling jittery and happy. Also been finding it very difficult to sleep at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Would you not just try a job anyway? There's no use trying to predict how you might feel. You won't know until you actually get one. Every work place is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Would you not just try a job anyway? There's no use trying to predict how you might feel. You won't know until you actually get one. Every work place is different.

True. Occupying yourself with work and having something to do also helps.

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone else afraid to get a job that it brings about depression/suicidal thoughts/running away thoughts? After finishing college and everything, and just when looking at employment opportunities and thinking about it, I get bad. Doctor and psychiatrist say that I should get a job just to have a structure, but after the last one, I'm afraid it'll just pile too much on to me again where I can't cope.

HI titan,

Have to agree with Negative Creep. A job is great for strucutre. I'm at my best when working and fing the come down when on holidays tough enough.

The longer you leave it, the more pressure you will put on yourself about it. Go for some interviews and imagine what it will be like to be getiing paid!!

There is no harm in getting a job and sticking with it for a few months to see how it goes. Maybe give yourself some sort of reward each month you get through. Then save a little each month and give yourself a BIG reward after 12 months.

Pure cheesy pun CMJ, but love it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I get that, but just even starting the search attempt panics me enough that my razor blades look appealing again. Doesn't help that I've managed to get myself qualified in and good at an area I hate, so there's pressure on me from family/people I know to be doing well

I get that, but just even starting the search attempt panics me enough that my razor blades look appealing again. Doesn't help that I've managed to get myself qualified in and good at an area I hate, so there's pressure on me from family/people I know to be doing well

One step at a time titan. Maybe google cv's and how to write them. Search for companies in your field.

Maybe you could study the subject you want to do at night while working in the other job that you are good at?

If you want, I can look your cv to take some of the pressure off.

My job is one of the things that kinda keeps me going I guess? It makes me get out of bed on the mornings when I would have stayed there all day, and it proves to be a distraction sometimes.

It makes me angry,frustrated and irritated sometimes but I like it because most days I can't even justify my feelings at all, it sounds crazy but I guess it's the little things that make you just feel better about yourself.

I think you should give it a go, or at least try to. If it doesn't work out or proves to be too much, at least you gave it your best shot.

I'm searching for a new job too and know the struggles and stress and the huge amount of frustration that comes with it!
    Maybe you could PM me if you like and it might make it easier for each other? Am I allowed offer up a PM, sorry if i'm not, honestly don't have a clue :o

Just thought I'd drop by to see how everyone is doing?

Good luck with the job hunting. I know how stressful going for a college course can be, so I can only imagine what your feeling.

Wishing you the of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Trying to find the bonus to insomnia, watching a boxset it is.. Attention span is not great but luckily this isn't too taxing.. Anyway for those of you making changes in your lives, courses or jobs, keep keepin on, it can be stressful, but, in my case at least, some structure to the day is fiercely important to keep spiralling thoughts and stresses quashed enough to not overcome you.

Trying to find the bonus to insomnia, watching a boxset it is.. Attention span is not great but luckily this isn't too taxing.. Anyway for those of you making changes in your lives, courses or jobs, keep keepin on, it can be stressful, but, in my case at least, some structure to the day is fiercely important to keep spiralling thoughts and stresses quashed enough to not overcome you.

Insomnia is the worst. i don't know how I function some days after make a nights tossing and turning, think my body is just so use to it!

100% agree with the the little bit of structure in life. I'd had to think what way I'd be if it wasn't for college keeping me sane a few hours aday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Hey all,

Anyone here ever stayed in Edmundsbury in Lucan??

neemish wrote: »
    Hey all,

Anyone here ever stayed in Edmundsbury in Lucan??

Hi neemish, is it like SJOG nand St. Pats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hi neemish, is it like SJOG nand St. Pats?

Ya, but looking to speak to someone who has been to eds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I haven't posted in here in a long time; hope you're all getting on okay. Feel like I need a bit of a rant.

This is a bad time of year for me. My mood is really affected by the changing of the seasons, and this past few weeks have been not a lot of fun. There's been a huge undercurrent of frustration with everything in my life, and lots of negative thinking. It's weird though, 'cause I'm just after starting a course in college which I absolutely love and which I know is going to be the right career for me. Therapy is going really well at the minute and I'm enjoying my life. But this stupid negativity that has been colouring stuff for me lately is very annoying and I want to make sure that it doesn't end up taking over. Blehhh.

Seren_ wrote: »
    I haven't posted in here in a long time; hope you're all getting on okay. Feel like I need a bit of a rant.

This is a bad time of year for me. My mood is really affected by the changing of the seasons, and this past few weeks have been not a lot of fun. There's been a huge undercurrent of frustration with everything in my life, and lots of negative thinking. It's weird though, 'cause I'm just after starting a course in college which I absolutely love and which I know is going to be the right career for me. Therapy is going really well at the minute and I'm enjoying my life. But this stupid negativity that has been colouring stuff for me lately is very annoying and I want to make sure that it doesn't end up taking over. Blehhh.

Hi Seren,

Not a bother, its a great place to have a rant :D. Thats great about your course amd chosen career, well done for getting it.

Do you know why the seasons affact it so much? Del has previously mentioned a light box for this type of thing and I find taking a vitamin D supplement in water is good. Hope thus helps and the mood changes soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Yeah, working has always lead me to feeling worse. When you explain that you can't do this job or can't do that job, my friends occassionally give me these worried looks. Wish i could understand what it's like to have a normal attitude to work like theirs. then parents always come out with 'well, there are bound to be some aspects of any job that you don't like'. Oh yeah, I hate the suicidal feelings I get at work, but hey, it's a job!! Gotta keep your job, right?? (sarcasm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Bit of a newbie.

Was on anti-depressants there for a few months to help me with my anxiety and mild depression. Had a lot going on but things got better and stayed better and talked to the doc and agreed to come off them and did it as instructed and was gradually weaned off them over several weeks. Turns out I became unemployed during this time which wasn't totally unexpected as my job was a contract however there was a lot of uncertainty about whether it would get extended or not (it didn't). Some of the anxiety has come back.

Been out of work almost 3 months and starting a new job tomorrow. I'm a bit meh about it and it's caused me some anxiety and stress and I haven't even started, although not through anything the new company has done, just me and my stupid thoughts.

I'm rapidly losing interested in the career I've been in for the last 10-15 years and I've this urge to do something more altruistic but it's taking a while to work out what that is.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful as I know there's lots of others out there looking for work. I do feel better about it than I did when they offered it but I'd still rather be doing something I enjoyed more and felt somewhat passionate about.

Just needed to get it off my chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Bit of a newbie.

Was on anti-depressants there for a few months to help me with my anxiety and mild depression. Had a lot going on but things got better and stayed better and talked to the doc and agreed to come off them and did it as instructed and was gradually weaned off them over several weeks. Turns out I became unemployed during this time which wasn't totally unexpected as my job was a contract however there was a lot of uncertainty about whether it would get extended or not (it didn't). Some of the anxiety has come back.

Been out of work almost 3 months and starting a new job tomorrow. I'm a bit meh about it and it's caused me some anxiety and stress and I haven't even started, although not through anything the new company has done, just me and my stupid thoughts.

I'm rapidly losing interested in the career I've been in for the last 10-15 years and I've this urge to do something more altruistic but it's taking a while to work out what that is.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful as I know there's lots of others out there looking for work. I do feel better about it than I did when they offered it but I'd still rather be doing something I enjoyed more and felt somewhat passionate about.

Just needed to get it off my chest.

Glad to hear you got a stage off medication! Don't worry about feeling how you feel at any moment, there is no inner audience judging any of your thoughts. I'd say you'll find your vocation but you already know that, just give yourself time and space it will become clear.

A good step is you have identified something that you are NOT interested in doing, even if you have to do something like this in the interim let your mind go with the possibilities of what you could do.

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement