Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

South West here!:)

Depression doesn't care for geography eh?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'm in the pale.

Ach tá gaeilge agam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hersheys wrote: »
    I'm in the pale.

We can all crash in your place so! :D

I'm pissed off.

The past few weeks I've been an amazing friend.

This evening I tried to open up to a friend who I've been a great friend to and I was met with: "I can't deal with you right now" even though I have been there for them...

Maybe I can be an island!! (except for the thread!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well at least you've identified that the person is one-way. Hang around with them if you need someone to hang out and have fun with but don't put yourself in a position where you're listening to them through their problems if they're not there for you.

I have, through necessity, mastered the art of not talking about my problems. It sounds bad but for me in a way it helps me deal with them better. I ask myself what I would gain from talking to someone on a regular enough basis about what's wrong and I realise it wouldn't help ME. Not saying this is the case for everyone.

I find the expression I have on here is enough. Everyone is an island imo in the sense that even words are a coarse tool for really explaining the subtleties of feelings. Keep up your mindfulness, keep up with good friends, but don't invest to heavily in anyone else.

May sound like bad advice but its my take, and I don't mean it at all negatively either. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

We can all crash in your place so! :D

That's quite a turnabout, one minute you're not going next you've invited us all to Hersheys! :D

murria wrote: »
    That's quite a turnabout, one minute you're not going next you've invited us all to Hersheys! :D

BYOT. Barry's preferred. Lyons accepted. Tetleys mocked. Bewleys in the garden only.

Ok, sensible hat on. As we have been talking about the next meetup, just want to remind you of the details.

Date: Saturday 7th December 2013.

Time: 15.00

Venue: Octogon Bar, Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2.

Put it in your diary, I will remind you nearer the time.

I will also put this up on the Let's All Laugh thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

BYOT. Barry's preferred. Lyons accepted. Tetleys mocked. Bewleys in the garden only.

Barry's for me please!:)

Barry's for me please!:)

Blue shirt ;)

I love tea. Strong. Sweet. Milky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Ok, sensible hat on. As we have been talking about the next meetup, just want to remind you of the details.

Date: Saturday 7th December 2013.

Time: 15.00

Venue: Octogon Bar, Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2.

Put it in your diary, I will remind you nearer the time.

I will also put this up on the Let's All Laugh thread.

Its a date so. In London atm but dont know where I will be based with work then yet. If its London or Ireland, will definitely be there. Will know in the next 2 weeks.... hopefully :D

Blue shirt ;)

I love tea. Strong. Sweet. Milky.

Definitely;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

I haven't read all the replies yet, but just thought I'd share abit of my story and to say to people that you are most no ALONE in this.

It all started with a bad infection and from there it seemed that my mental health took a turn for the worst.

I dont know how many times I took a trip to the A&E, with what I know now as panic attacks. Before this I was just a normal 19 year old and all of a sudden I was a nervous wreck. Long story short I was diagnosed as have major depression and GAD.

That was three years ago and today I feel that I have the depression under control, but anxiety is through the roof.

I wake up in the morning with shaking hands, and this continues on till bed time, my stomach constantly feels like a washing machine.

I find going to college a huge struggle, basically I find every day a struggle, and when I go to bed at night I say to my self I cannot live like this.

I've being under a psychiatrist, but have not seen him in over a year, currently trying to get referred. Till then I'm just living one day at a time.

Thank God this thread is here, I wouldnt know where else to turn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

15:00 as in 3 o clock in the day? I fear I may be sneered at for having a drink at such a time :L

15:00 as in 3 o clock in the day? I fear I may be sneered at for having a drink at such a time :L

Ah but that's a Saturday and it's in the build up to Christmas so it's almost expected!

I haven't read all the replies yet, but just thought I'd share abit of my story and to say to people that you are most no ALONE in this.

It all started with a bad infection and from there it seemed that my mental health took a turn for the worst.

I dont know how many times I took a trip to the A&E, with what I know now as panic attacks. Before this I was just a normal 19 year old and all of a sudden I was a nervous wreck. Long story short I was diagnosed as have major depression and GAD.

That was three years ago and today I feel that I have the depression under control, but anxiety is through the roof.

I wake up in the morning with shaking hands, and this continues on till bed time, my stomach constantly feels like a washing machine.

I find going to college a huge struggle, basically I find every day a struggle, and when I go to bed at night I say to my self I cannot live like this.

I've being under a psychiatrist, but have not seen him in over a year, currently trying to get referred. Till then I'm just living one day at a time.

Thank God this thread is here, I wouldnt know where else to turn

That’s a great post, thank you so much for sharing your story. This thread and the one in After Hours http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009 are wonderful, free resources for like-minded people to share stories and experiences.

Your story particularly interests me because I feel the college years are when depression and anxiety hit hard for the first time. We underestimate the impact going to college has on a young person. It’s a huge transition moving from the familiar setting of school and home in your community to the big world of the college campus. It’s a lot to juggle, making new friends, making your own decisions, a new academic setting, often being away from home and having to feed yourself and run your own life, perhaps homesickness, it’s a very big deal. Even just reading back my own sentence there it’s no wonder young people start to crash at this point.

To the outside world it appears that this should be the best time of your life, school over, LC done, 6th year holiday, debs, etc., but the reality is it’s probably the most miserable time for a lot of young people. For many depression starts sneaking up from the mid teens, if we don’t recognise the symptoms and start tackling them early, the outcome can be overwhelming. We have to get the message out there.

Some of us have to be back in the Retirement Home for the Bewildered by19.00/ 7.00. :)

So I'm taking that as a yes you're coming. Any more cheekiness and I might have to introduce a Christmas themed dress code. :D

Some of us have to be back in the Retirement Home for the Bewildered by19.00/ 7.00. :)

So I'm taking that as a yes you're coming. Any more cheekiness and I might have to introduce a Christmas themed dress code. :D

Dont scare people murria... You cant be that old :p.

+ 1 :D

Gosh there is a hint of a teacher coming through!

I have a Christmas jumper and I would be only too happy to wear it.

• Advertisement

I have a Christmas jumper and I would be only too happy to wear it.

I have a Santa suit:D

That’s a great post, thank you so much for sharing your story. This thread and the one in After Hours http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009 are wonderful, free resources for like-minded people to share stories and experiences.

Your story particularly interests me because I feel the college years are when depression and anxiety hit hard for the first time. We underestimate the impact going to college has on a young person. It’s a huge transition moving from the familiar setting of school and home in your community to the big world of the college campus. It’s a lot to juggle, making new friends, making your own decisions, a new academic setting, often being away from home and having to feed yourself and run your own life, perhaps homesickness, it’s a very big deal. Even just reading back my own sentence there it’s no wonder young people start to crash at this point.

To the outside world it appears that this should be the best time of your life, school over, LC done, 6th year holiday, debs, etc., but the reality is it’s probably the most miserable time for a lot of young people. For many depression starts sneaking up from the mid teens, if we don’t recognise the symptoms and start tackling them early, the outcome can be overwhelming. We have to get the message out there.

Thank you so much for the reply. When it all started I just finished a FETAC V in Social Studies, and I can honestly say it was on of the best years, but the the summer came around and it felt like I got a brain transplant.

I tried two times after that to go back to college but each time my anxiety wouldn't let me.

I'm no in a course that I love, but I still have days when I get the negative thoughts back about college, dont know how I leave my house some days.

Im currently waiting for an appointment with the psychotherapist, God knows how long that will be.

Someone suggested to me that I write letters to the psychotherapist, that it could help.

I'm going to look through the thread and see did anyone mention tips for dealing with anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yes, tips.

Unfortunately it usually involves taking care of ones body. Exercise etc. will really really help with anxiety because sometimes anxiety is the nervous system on fire, being absolutely stimulated to the max without being able to take it down to a slower level. Physical exercise is a good combatant for this.

Although, I know too well how hard it is to get outside in this state, which rules physical exercise out somewhat. So I began doing yoga videos on youtube. My main criteria was it was simple, yet effective, aimed at beginners while still giving some benefits of yoga.

I'm sorry about the ridiculous attractiveness of the girl in the video but its incidental, I have no control over that, it's just one of the simplest beginners videos I've seen. Then again, the healthy appearance I would imagine is present as a result of regular yoga.

This video I began to use regularly to give just that little bit of relief:

Mindfulness also is a powerful tool, I use it informally any time I can. Here is a talk the doctor who brought it to light did at google, just so you get an idea what it's about. Essentially it is about coming out of the mind and into the subtle feelings of the body (note this is mainly a 'talk'):

I highly recommend a book by Dr. Claire Weekes 'Self-help for you nerves' which articulates the physical nature of symptoms and how if the stomach is churning for example, to sit and let it churn. If you let it churn without fear, holding it in your attention but allowing yourself to feel it, it can subside in time.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Help-Your-Nerves-Overcoming/dp/0722531559/ref=la_B001HOT92I_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381070962&sr=1-4

And not directly relating to anxiety, but Sadhguru, the wisest man on planet earth. The only teacher with no pretensions on the internet ALWAYS calms me. ALWAYS provides insight and ALWAYS brings my attention inward in a real way. He also has a free meditation video you can get via his not-for-profit isha foundation website.

Coming in contact with him has changed my life. It was changing anyway but his words stabilise the change. He and I would both highly recommend yoga.

Best of luck

I have a Santa suit:D

No! Just no and we're not playing Countdown either. The Centrum seem to be taking effect. :pac:

No! Just no and we're not playing Countdown either. The Centrum seem to be taking effect. :pac:

Oh please play Countdown, I am a Rachel Riley fan :D

How about a Santa or Reindeer onesie? It will keep it classy :D

Maybe we could do the " 8 out 10 cats" version of countdown?

Del, more of a fan or Carol Voderman a few years ago... just saying :p

Yes, tips.

Unfortunately it usually involves taking care of ones body. Exercise etc. will really really help with anxiety because sometimes anxiety is the nervous system on fire, being absolutely stimulated to the max without being able to take it down to a slower level. Physical exercise is a good combatant for this.

Although, I know too well how hard it is to get outside in this state, which rules physical exercise out somewhat. So I began doing yoga videos on youtube. My main criteria was it was simple, yet effective, aimed at beginners while still giving some benefits of yoga.

I'm sorry about the ridiculous attractiveness of the girl in the video but its incidental, I have no control over that, it's just one of the simplest beginners videos I've seen. Then again, the healthy appearance I would imagine is present as a result of regular yoga.

This video I began to use regularly to give just that little bit of relief:

Mindfulness also is a powerful tool, I use it informally any time I can. Here is a talk the doctor who brought it to light did at google, just so you get an idea what it's about. Essentially it is about coming out of the mind and into the subtle feelings of the body (note this is mainly a 'talk'):

I highly recommend a book by Dr. Claire Weekes 'Self-help for you nerves' which articulates the physical nature of symptoms and how if the stomach is churning for example, to sit and let it churn. If you let it churn without fear, holding it in your attention but allowing yourself to feel it, it can subside in time.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Help-Your-Nerves-Overcoming/dp/0722531559/ref=la_B001HOT92I_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381070962&sr=1-4

And not directly relating to anxiety, but Sadhguru, the wisest man on planet earth. The only teacher with no pretensions on the internet ALWAYS calms me. ALWAYS provides insight and ALWAYS brings my attention inward in a real way. He also has a free meditation video you can get via his not-for-profit isha foundation website.

Coming in contact with him has changed my life. It was changing anyway but his words stabilise the change. He and I would both highly recommend yoga.

Best of luck

Thank you so much for the detailed post.

I am defo going to try the yoga. I've always wanted to try it!

I'm defo going to sit down tonight and watch through these videos, so thank you again for the post.

ulinbac wrote: »
    How about a Santa or Reindeer onesie? It will keep it classy :D

Maybe we could do the " 8 out 10 cats" version of countdown?

Del, more of a fan or Carol Voderman a few years ago... just saying :p

No objection to Carol Vordeman either, afterall I guees she is closer to my vintage. Though I think Rachel is a little honey:D

Sorry for hogging up this great thread, but just wanted to drop in and say I'm having a real hard time tonight. Even took one of my sleeping tabs to try and get a sleep as I'm up early for college tomorrow but as you can see its still not doing nothing.

Just feeling really anxious and shaking all day today. Just a sense of doom following me around, anyone else get like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

anyone know what, if any, use the old medical card is when it comes to counselling etc?
    (apologies if wrong thread I've actually always just wanted to post here I love the thread title :pac: )

Ps Hi. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement