Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I wouldn't try anything like that at the moment as I feel I couldn't face up to the challenge: like that it's just easier to stay the same way even if it's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Thanks ulinbac. It's something I had heard of but never really looked at. €600 was exactly the price on the site I looked at. :) Always good to hear positive experiences of different therapies and modalities, I'll put that in the mental filing cabinet for future use if necessary.

It's well worth investing whatever we can afford in our mental and physical wellbeing. That said there are some fantastic free and inexpensive resources available to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

As I said it wasn't an attack on it. Very happy it helps and qi gong is extremely interesting to me although I haven't practiced it.

Didn't take it as an attck CMJ. Have tried bits of Qigong as my PT is a teacher in it. Just getting time for it. I like the fight preparing ones I like..

Always feel quite powerful after it and look strong after too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I am interested in it because of it's slowing of the body down which can be an avenue to slowing down the mind. I do my own form of it lately where sometimes I walk around the house in extreme slow motion :pac:

I have done yoga before just through looking online and watching videos but I have 0 euro to invest in anything at the moment but if I feel good enough qi gong will be right up there with yoga.

I wouldn't try anything like that at the moment as I feel I couldn't face up to the challenge: like that it's just easier to stay the same way even if it's not great.

Hugo, thats a theme that comes up here repeatedly. When you are feeling low you don't have the motivation to try to effect change, when you are feeling better you don't bother doing anything because, "well sure I'm grand, no point bothering the doctor."

It's easier to stay the same, I agree, but is that what you you want? Once you get on the road to improving your life you won't regret the work you are putting in. There is so much good advice between this thread and the After Hours one, start with something small like improving your sleeping patterns or taking a bit of exercise. Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

murria wrote: »
    Hugo, thats a theme that comes up here repeatedly. When you are feeling low you don't have the motivation to try to effect change, when you are feeling better you don't bother doing anything because, "well sure I'm grand, no point bothering the doctor."

It's easier to stay the same, I agree, but is that what you you want? Once you get on the road to improving your life you won't regret the work you are putting in. There is so much good advice between this thread and the After Hours one, start with something small like improving your sleeping patterns or taking a bit of exercise. Take care.

I'm not particularly bad or low presently thankfully but it is like a constant black cloud on the horizon.

Regarding change, more of a fear that the effort would be too much or that I won't like what I'll learn about myself if I do try.

You will learn that you tried and have the intelligence to want to improve yourself but are possibly overwhelmed and that you may not be able to keep it up.

You will get to a point where you are more free and whatever you try you will succeed at because you will no longer suffer.

I'm not particularly bad or low presently thankfully but it is like a constant black cloud on the horizon.

Regarding change, more of a fear that the effort would be too much or that I won't like what I'll learn about myself if I do try.

There are lots of different therapies out there that people use to accomplish change. Not all of them require you to analyse the past, I'm guessing that's what you mean by not liking what you may learn about yourself. Some of them teach you how to change the way you think.

I tried self-help with a technique I had read about, with some success, but I became a bit confused and overwhelmed so I went to a therapist who showed me how to use it effectively. I use it now myself whenever I need to and haven't visited him for a few years, but I know he's there if I need him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not having the best day to be honest. Best week even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I've been getting increasingly frustrated because all of my family are constantly in a bad mood and agitated with me because of my problems. :mad: As if I can help having depression.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Not having the best day to be honest. Best week even.

Sorry to hear that Cloud493, take it easy and try to get some rest. Anything anyone here can help you with?

Sorry to hear that Cloud493, take it easy and try to get some rest. Anything anyone here can help you with?

I went into college with bare arms. Now no one will even go near me. One thing anyway

How do you feel with bare arms cloud?

I don't like it. But I was trying to make a statement to someone. So I went for it.

I've been getting increasingly frustrated because all of my family are constantly in a bad mood and agitated with me because of my problems. :mad: As if I can help having depression.

I'm sure you wouldn't choose this Mick. You know your family are probably worried about you and don't know what to do for the best. Our instinct is to want to fix things and make everything better for our loved ones, they could be frustrated at themselves for not being able to solve your problems. If you can, let them know how they can best help you. Maybe you need to visit your GP.

I know you have trouble sleeping, maybe try to wind down now, have a bath and a warm milky drink, its ok just to rest if you can't sleep, put on some nice chill out music and try to relax. Just be kind to yourself.

Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow. :)

I don't like it. But I was trying to make a statement to someone. So I went for it.

How did they react to your statement?

Well the person the statement was aimed at said I was a freak. Some girl threw up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

1. If things don't change they will stay the same.:)

2. If it is to be , it is up to me.:)

Well the person the statement was aimed at said I was a freak. Some girl threw up.

You're not a freak, you're a human being. Have you been to see your GP since the therapist in Pieta House mentioned it?

You are not a freak.

You are just like anyone else with your own ideas, needs, and thoughts.

• Advertisement

I know it was a silly thing to do. But this guy, he just stopped talking to me. For no reason. And he didn't say a single word to me before. I wanted to show him how I was feeling. For once

I know it was a silly thing to do. But this guy, he just stopped talking to me. For no reason. And he didn't say a single word to me before. I wanted to show him how I was feeling. For once

I suppose the thing is no one knows what's going on in someone else's head. I mean that for you and for him. Let go of what happened today, tomorrow is another day it can be better than this one. Try to get some rest now, I'm sure you're tired after all that's happened. Goodnight pet.

My college know oh god their gonna kick me out im gonna be sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

They're not gonna kick you out cloud - they can't kick someone out because they're ill.

Cloud that's not what is going to happen, there will be someone in college who can help you. Can you contact someone in student support services or a welfare officer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

Feeling alright today. Went to the psychiatrist appointment at hospital where he assessed me. I felt as if he didnt fully understand the extent of my anxiety and how low my mood can get, just because I'm in an ok mood today and the past week.

Told me that I wasnt depressed enough for medication, and that my anxiety could be overcome via other methods. Left feelt pretty rejected and not taken seriously, which was my greatest fear for the whole appointment. I didnt cry my eyes out to my GP for nothing, and she wanted to put me on the medication anyway.

Whatever. On the plus side, I did get referred to some anxiety management thing for next friday in another hospital.

Maybe the psychiatrist is right, but if he is then I guess im just going to have to remain feeling like crap with my mood going up and down every other week/day for the rest of my life.
    I cant even form social relationships or work up the courage to even talk to the opposite sex outside of work related things, so I just wanted something to help me feel like I'm not going to throw up and look like a total freak.

tosspot15 wrote: »
    Feeling alright today. Went to the psychiatrist appointment at hospital where he assessed me. I felt as if he didnt fully understand the extent of my anxiety and how low my mood can get, just because I'm in an ok mood today and the past week.

Told me that I wasnt depressed enough for medication, and that my anxiety could be overcome via other methods. Left feelt pretty rejected and not taken seriously, which was my greatest fear for the whole appointment. I didnt cry my eyes out to my GP for nothing, and she wanted to put me on the medication anyway.

Whatever. On the plus side, I did get referred to some anxiety management thing for next friday in another hospital.

Maybe the psychiatrist is right, but if he is then I guess im just going to have to remain feeling like crap with my mood going up and down every other week/day for the rest of my life.
    I cant even form social relationships or work up the courage to even talk to the opposite sex outside of work related things, so I just wanted something to help me feel like I'm not going to throw up and look like a total freak.

Hi tosspot15 (wish you had a nicer username:)) Hope the anxiety management works out well for you, it could have life changing benefits. I think its fine to use medication if you need it, but if you can turn things around without drugs, why not?

Absolutely not! No one is going to kick you out of college. On the contrary they should support you. Have you spoken with the student welfare officer?:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

Hi tosspot15 (wish you had a nicer username:)) Hope the anxiety management works out well for you, it could have life changing benefits. I think its fine to use medication if you need it, but if you can turn things around without drugs, why not?

Yeah im going to try my best to overcome my issues, but I guess im disappointed because I feel like I couldnt fully convey how the anxiety and depression affects me.

Its genuinely impacting my life and I cant stand it anymore, hence why I seeked help. I couldnt help but feel like the psychiatrist was just looking at me like "what the hell are you doing here", as if I was supposed to be in some state of psychosis or something.

Sorry about the name. I found it amusing at the time :/

• Advertisement

tosspot15 wrote: »
    Sorry about the name. I found it amusing at the time :/

I'm sure you're a lovely tosspot. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement