Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not sure if it's going to suit my work life, sleep is all over the shop with it. Bit of jiggling with the dosage i think. But if it keeps the pain in the chest away while i try get on with some counselling i'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was on 400mg of it for ages. Didn't do much for me but I hope it works for you. I know several people who swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

Not sure if it's going to suit my work life, sleep is all over the shop with it. Bit of jiggling with the dosage i think. But if it keeps the pain in the chest away while i try get on with some counselling i'll stick with it.

I am on serequel at the moment what do you think of it???

Well another bad day got another panic attack in Dunnes stores ,they seem to be overtaking me at the moment and i was doing so well anyone got any tips to avoid one coming on or how they dealt with them.

I think i am setting myself up for them as i got really bad one yesterday and i am apprehensive of it happening again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

pejay wrote: »
    I am on serequel at the moment what do you think of it???

Only on it about a week and haven't been able to take it three of the mornings because of work, but initially it has stopped the palpitations/anxious chest pain thing. The quality of my sleep is better i think, though there's still very little of it. What about you Pejay?

• Advertisement

well i was on 200mg a day and she put it up to 275mg but found it was giving me irregular heart rhythmns so she took me of it altogether and put me on abilify i didnt tolerate that well so she put me back on the serequel 100mg been on that again about 2 weeks now and i find it ok i am on it for bipolar but my anxiety is through the roof i find even typing on here sets me into anxiety and i wish it would go away.

Complete anxiety all day long i am taking diazepam also and a new tablet called lyrica 25mg 3 x daily it was originally used for pain but recently studies shown that it helps with anxiety i was stable all last wek and yesterday had a major panic attack on my sons football field thought i was going to passout,

Today it happened again while i was in dunnes stores i thought i was going to hit the deck shaking all the time and tremors my head feels wonky all the time

What anxiety do you have do you mind me asking??? as i never suffered social anxiety or agraphobia anxiety i feel like i need to be in the house all the time and simple tasks that every women do is getting to me as i cannot do them and i dont know why its so frustrating this episode of anxiety is beating me at the moment and i feel crippled by it :mad::(:(:(

Just wondering what peoples coping strategies are for panick attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Speak to a GP.

Once the source of the panic attacks has been identified and the person suffering them can understand what triggers them then they can deal with it.

oh i have i am currently on medication i just wanted to know what other people do to cope with them or deal with when in that situation thats all as some people have different coping mechanisms that can be useful to others thanks for reply.:D

oh i have i am currently on medication i just wanted to know what other people do to cope with them or deal with when in that situation thats all as some people have different coping mechanisms that can be useful to others thanks for reply.:D

Cool, I didn't want to dish out advice when I'm as unqualified as I am, as the wrong kind of advice can make your situation worse.

All I can say is from my own personal experience of anxiety and depressions is that I found CBT a huge help.

I know what triggers my anxiety episodes and with my GP and counselor I have developed coping mechanisms. I'm lucky in that right now I don't require medication.

What I find helps best is lots of slow but deep breathing and regular mindfulness meditation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

mediacation always helps ,i find talking to someone about it and what triggers it can help too,always bring a paper bag with you so you can breathe into a bag when youre getting panicky,you can always do this in a public toilet or in your car etc..

mediacation always helps ,i find talking to someone about it and what triggers it can help too,always bring a paper bag with you so you can breathe into a bag when youre getting panicky,you can always do this in a public toilet or in your car etc..

Never tried that as i thought it was a load of nonsense but i will give it a go.

Profiler wrote: »
    Cool, I didn't want to dish out advice when I'm as unqualified as I am, as the wrong kind of advice can make your situation worse.

All I can say is from my own personal experience of anxiety and depressions is that I found CBT a huge help.

I know what triggers my anxiety episodes and with my GP and counselor I have developed coping mechanisms. I'm lucky in that right now I don't require medication.

What I find helps best is lots of slow but deep breathing and regular mindfulness meditation.
    Yes waiting on CBT but waiting list is so long apparently this will help me in my way of thinking i hope is does.

I just hate the panick attacks as even though you have had them before you still forget what they feel like and think your dying.

My phobia is health anxiety and dying and i live in a constant state of anxiety all day everyday to the point where it is crippling me and effecting my daily routine as a woman i am not able to do the basics like even go shopping as everything worries me that i will drop down dead in front of people, i only feel safe when i am at home on the couch with the duvet around me and nobody interferes with me or calls upon me out of the blue can you recognise this. Thanks for your advice ;)

My phobia is health anxiety and dying and i live in a constant state of anxiety all day everyday to the point where it is crippling me and effecting my daily routine as a woman i am not able to do the basics like even go shopping as everything worries me that i will drop down dead in front of people, i only feel safe when i am at home on the couch with the duvet around me and nobody interferes with me or calls upon me out of the blue can you recognise this. Thanks for your advice ;)

Everyone's experience is different and can be as individual as your own fingerprint. However I can recognise the desire to stay in bed with a duvet wrapped around me, like my own personal cocoon, feeling totally safe untouchable.

Good luck with the CBT, I hope you get a chance to try it real soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Just wondering what peoples coping strategies are for panick attacks.
    If I ever feel a panic attack coming on, I find grounding myself really helpful. By that I mean just standing/sitting still (as long as it's safe where you are to do that) and then focusing on the things around me and how they feel. So like how the ground feels through my shoes, and how clothes feel against my skin, and little things like that. And taking deep breaths too. I don't know if it would suit everyone, but it used to help calm me down anyway.

My sleep is so messed up lately! Finding it really hard to sleep at night cuz it's like my brain won't shut down >.< it's odd because I never had that problem when I had really low mood, used to sleep all the time. Have an appointment with my psych on the 27th so I'll say it to him then. Think my meds dosage is going to be lowered too (we discussed it at the last app), which is both scary and good.

If I ever feel a panic attack coming on, I find grounding myself really helpful. By that I mean just standing/sitting still (as long as it's safe where you are to do that) and then focusing on the things around me and how they feel. So like how the ground feels through my shoes, and how clothes feel against my skin, and little things like that. And taking deep breaths too. I don't know if it would suit everyone, but it used to help calm me down anyway.

My sleep is so messed up lately! Finding it really hard to sleep at night cuz it's like my brain won't shut down >.< it's odd because I never had that problem when I had really low mood, used to sleep all the time. Have an appointment with my psych on the 27th so I'll say it to him then. Think my meds dosage is going to be lowered too (we discussed it at the last app), which is both scary and good.

what med are you on?? if i am not being nosey and also what are you being treated for thanks will try that also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I never really had bad panic / anxiety attacks Peejay but the mild ones I did get I found that breathing exercises helped. I was wondering though if the breathing itself helped or it was just the distraction, either way give it a shot.

Gillo wrote: »
    I never really had bad panic / anxiety attacks Peejay but the mild ones I did get I found that breathing exercises helped. I was wondering though if the breathing itself helped or it was just the distraction, either way give it a shot.[/QUOTE

thanks will do i will try anything at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

what med are you on?? if i am not being nosey and also what are you being treated for thanks will try that also
    It's okay don't worry :p I'm on venlafaxine (Effexor) for depression. Used to get panic attacks when my mood was very low because I'd generally be more anxious then. Haven't had one in a while though.

oo i tried that didnt work for me i am on serequel now for low and high mood swings and valium and lyrica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I get panic attacks rarely and bad. They can last up to a half hour. I knew a few things can sometimes trigger them, but some triggers are quite hard to avoid, and usually crop up unexpected (I've had people trigger them, sometimes they kinda force their way into your life!)

The best thing to do is deal with it when it starts. Some people say just ride it out, but that doesn't work for me as it gets progressively worse and can last a while. I know a good breathing technique called square breathing, it also helps to focus you mind on something other than the panic.

Square breathing technique Its in 4, hold 4, out 4, wait 4.

I also finds it helps to have a happy thought, bare with me on this one :P Have something stored in you mind that you relate with being calm and happy. Could be a place you've been or want to go, or a thing or person. Keep it simple and memorable. When the fear sets in focus on that thought, imagine what you want to be doing. Bit odd but it helps! I find it useful to do something similar when trying to fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

@ pejay.
    I suffered from the age of 13ish with panic attacks.
    Mine can be so bad that i wont seek any help only from my gp who is brilliant and has been my gp for 30 odd year's so well no's me.
    It then went onto health anxiety mainly a fear of dying from cancer.I never even then knew anyone whoever even had cancer but it went from there i'm now 36 and it still raise its head often.
    I can't take any anti-d's as they give me severe suicidal tendencies within a week of taking them i have tried nearly every type and had to visit my gp weekly or asap if they had an effect,So its Valium for me when required and at this stage they don't work anymore.
    One question my gp did ask me was,What exactly did i think would happen if i had a very bad panic attack and i replied id pass out in front of lot's off people and a giggle needed here,I could wet myself when passed out.
    He said that was most people's fears when he asked that question.
    He offered me every resource possible but nothing suited.
    Except one tiny thing,And some may laugh but it was a stone/pebble in my pocket and when i get the feeling of a dream state or dizziness/panic to get myself back to a reality state was to feel the solid object in my hand and squeeze it and say to my self its real.Im ok this is happening and this is all real. Concentrate on it,Pretend you have to mind it and it takes your mind off the panic.No one can see it,No one can see your panicking(well they cant anyhow).Hth

It's been years since I got anxious enough to have a panic attack but for managing anxiety I find two things help me, breathing exercises as Gillo mentioned and short periods of meditation. I'm lucky though, my anxiety isn't that bad so your mileage may definitely vary.

Oh dear, I'm high as a kite at the moment. Haven't been this high (and this happy!) in most of a decade. Good thing I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Thursday last time I was this high I ended up psychotic... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Breathing exercise will stop an attack in its tracks 99% of the time.

I get panic attacks rarely and bad. They can last up to a half hour. I knew a few things can sometimes trigger them, but some triggers are quite hard to avoid, and usually crop up unexpected (I've had people trigger them, sometimes they kinda force their way into your life!)

The best thing to do is deal with it when it starts. Some people say just ride it out, but that doesn't work for me as it gets progressively worse and can last a while. I know a good breathing technique called square breathing, it also helps to focus you mind on something other than the panic.

Square breathing technique Its in 4, hold 4, out 4, wait 4.

I also finds it helps to have a happy thought, bare with me on this one :P Have something stored in you mind that you relate with being calm and happy. Could be a place you've been or want to go, or a thing or person. Keep it simple and memorable. When the fear sets in focus on that thought, imagine what you want to be doing. Bit odd but it helps! I find it useful to do something similar when trying to fall asleep.
    will try that princess thanks.

It happened to me again today in pennys it seems to be overtaking my life lately, I had to get out the legs started shaking then the warm feeling and then i am going to drop dead thing in my head or pass out, i felt like everyone was staring at me, i ran away from my 14 year old son just to get up to the car park, i find my breathing does be all over the place and then i get dizzy, my husband drove me home quicklywith no shopping done and after 3mg of valium and a sleep i came right but i am only supposed to take 1mg of valium but it does not help.

I had a sleep and i said to my husband will we attempt the shopping again so we drove in again and i got the shopping done only i could feel it creeping up on me at the checkout (your man was real slow on the scanners i was saying in my head will this guy ever hurry up lol) anyway i ran to the car but the full panick attack did not come i am just glad i got the shopping done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Well done for going back :)

Shops like Penneys are probably the worst, so crowded and too hot and no windows! Maybe try go at very quite times, like early in the morning? I can't shop on a Saturday at all!

I get panicky in changing rooms a lot for some reason. Maybe its the weird lights and the heat. There's been a few times I had to just leave all the clothes there and go, mummer some excuse to the assistant.

Try and think if you can pinpoint exactly what it was about the shopping that triggered you off, and see if there is a way to avoid in future.

triona1 wrote: »
    @ pejay.
    I suffered from the age of 13ish with panic attacks.
    Mine can be so bad that i wont seek any help only from my gp who is brilliant and has been my gp for 30 odd year's so well no's me.
    It then went onto health anxiety mainly a fear of dying from cancer.I never even then knew anyone whoever even had cancer but it went from there i'm now 36 and it still raise its head often.
    I can't take any anti-d's as they give me severe suicidal tendencies within a week of taking them i have tried nearly every type and had to visit my gp weekly or asap if they had an effect,So its Valium for me when required and at this stage they don't work anymore.
    One question my gp did ask me was,What exactly did i think would happen if i had a very bad panic attack and i replied id pass out in front of lot's off people and a giggle needed here,I could wet myself when passed out.
    He said that was most people's fears when he asked that question.
    He offered me every resource possible but nothing suited.
    Except one tiny thing,And some may laugh but it was a stone/pebble in my pocket and when i get the feeling of a dream state or dizziness/panic to get myself back to a reality state was to feel the solid object in my hand and squeeze it and say to my self its real.Im ok this is happening and this is all real. Concentrate on it,Pretend you have to mind it and it takes your mind off the panic.No one can see it,No one can see your panicking(well they cant anyhow).Hth

Oh triona that is so me i have health anxiety and i think i am dying from everything 2 weeks ago it was a heart attack so i wont excercise, now its a blood clot travelling through my leg because i honestly feel the symptoms even though they are not real.i have not really had a full blown panick attack since 14 years ago but i got 1 out the blue on saturday at my sons football match and its knocked me back a bit after i though i was making progress of keeping the anxiety at bay.i though my sugar levels were low but they were not it was a frigging panick attack it was that bad i left my son at the match i just needed to get away it frightened me so much.Now i am worried to go anywhere incase of it happening to me again as in my head it keeps saying your going to have a panick attack

I know when the panick is coming because my legs start wobbling and i get really dizzy where a feel a white light or cloud is starting to cover over from the side of my eyes into my vision and then i get hot and feel the heart pounding all i want to do is run and get home, because the hands start shaking then and i have lost control altogether it was that bad today i thought i would never come out of it i asked my husband to sign me into the hospital as i am currently under the mental health service and am seeing my doc tomorro but i have pure dread as i know i will be in the room 1 on 1 and i hate it only recently this started, i am saying in my head hurry up please write the script so i can get the hell out and that will start before i get into the room.

Do you suffer daily with anxiety or panick attacks do you mind me asking and how would they start for you thanks triona

Well done for going back :)

Shops like Penneys are probably the worst, so crowded and too hot and no windows! Maybe try go at very quite times, like early in the morning? I can't shop on a Saturday at all!

I get panicky in changing rooms a lot for some reason. Maybe its the weird lights and the heat. There's been a few times I had to just leave all the clothes there and go, mummer some excuse to the assistant.

Try and think if you can pinpoint exactly what it was about the shopping that triggered you off, and see if there is a way to avoid in future.

Its the fear of dropping down dead or fainting in front of people that triggers me and also the lights would do it for me it send my eyes funny which for some reason starts me off because i get dizzy.
    I did that today i threw the clothes on the floor and just got out,i passed my son the money to pay and got the hell out.

I have never really suffered attacks in the shopping centres before or in the grocery stores this just happened recently so i cant say what triggered it, at the moment i feel safe when i am at home on the couch with the duvet but i cannot keep doing that with 5 kids to look after lucky for me i have my husband who is very understanding and at the moment as took over the role of mother also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

That's brilliant that you went back and did the shopping Peejay!

Having a crap day today myself. Load of grief in work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement