Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I never told my family, and I told a couple of friends but they didn't really want to hear about it like.

Had a bit of a moment earlier. Was on Skype to my mam, and she is sending me out a parcel and I mentioned a few t-shirts I had left at home that I like. Then it entered my head that before I left for Canada I got 6 months of my tablets, but took them out of the cardboard boxes, just took the pill sheets. And I have a vague memory of me putting all the boxes in my t-shirt drawer. Now I can't remember for sure, but I really don't want her looking there :-/ Don't know how I'd explain it.

Would you not want your Mam to know about it? Not to be worrying about you but just to know nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anonimous

just if anyone is interested there's an aware depression support meeting on now here:

http://support.aware.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I wouldn't worry about anyone else claiming depression or talking about it (other than the fact that it can become boring if you're subjected to it often) because if the whole world falsely claimed all day every day that they were depressed it still wouldn't change the things I know I have to do to feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I wouldn't worry about anyone else claiming depression or talking about it (other than the fact that it can become boring if you're subjected to it often) because if the whole world falsely claimed all day every day that they were depressed it still wouldn't change the things I know I have to do to feel better.

I like your attitude :) Sorry about the rants, have a bead headache today and I was getting very agitated at everything!

I've been very up and down the last month. But I'm not going to put that down to my past with depression. I've just moved by myself to a new country and started back in college, I think its normal for me to feel like this and anyone would. Plus I am having plenty of ups, and when I used to feel very down it would be for long long periods with no ups. Its just settling in emotions. Had a drama queen moment the other week when I didn't really get out of bed for 2 days and I was thinking of going to get my dosage increased. Then I just told myself to cop on, 2 down days is not a spell a depression.

So yeah then it does just annoy me when someone has a bad day and "Oh I'm so depressed. Better tell all of facebook." But it shouldn't and I should just be able to let it go and get on with things.

I think ranting on about it does not help :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greenshoes88

You could be immune to em. Maybe you should go back to the doctor. I'm no-one to preach. I haven't even been able to tell a doctor how i feel yet. I know i should but the severe anxiety i feel just thinking about going to the doctor is too much

I went to my doctor when I was at the end and wanted to kill myself-he told me "ah it can't be that bad" MY DOCTOR said that and iv'e been with him all my life (I was 20 at the time)

• Advertisement

So yeah then it does just annoy me when someone has a bad day and "Oh I'm so depressed. Better tell all of facebook." But it shouldn't and I should just be able to let it go and get on with things.

I think ranting on about it does not help :pac:

Funnily enough, just reading that line about someone saying their depressed on facebook reminded me of something that I only realised now I've been doing a lot more recently.

Basically with something like a post on facebook along the lines of "Had to work late!! I think I have depression :(", it's like a vortex because of the infinite ways in which it is retarded. So if you even begin to rant about it, ye'll be frustrated because your vocabulary and ultimately your stamina will not be sufficient enough to do justice to the depths of the stupidity of it, leaving you with blue-balls of the brain.

Now, unless I have some interesting point about something retarded that could be funny, I just acknowledge it as a 'vortex' and don't even indulge. I think I'm of pretty much average intelligence but if someone says something that makes me feel like Einstien (can't even spell it :P) I know I should probably just leave it be.

I went to my doctor when I was at the end and wanted to kill myself-he told me "ah it can't be that bad" MY DOCTOR said that and iv'e been with him all my life (I was 20 at the time)

That is an odd reaction. What's up with you greenshoes?

Sorry about the rants, have a bead headache today and I was getting very agitated at everything!

A rant does a lot of healing to be fair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

Bad bad bad day, tried so hard not to use the knives at work...wanted to do it so bad that i'd have to go to hospital but i managed to stop myself. Still need to do something, it's so hard to fight it. :( i hate this.:(

When you say bad, do you mean in terms of circumstances or that you felt lower than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

When you say bad, do you mean in terms of circumstances or that you felt lower than usual?

Well feeling very very low and then a situation occurred (work related) that in itself i suppose isnt too bad but it's a reoccurrance because of a particular couple of people and i just cant handle any stress or complications at all at the minute so it was enoughh to completely ruin an already very low day.

Tbh i was managing ok before the 'incident' today and doing things to keep my head above water, nice peaceful things in the bit of sunshine - a bit of gardening, played with the dogs etc. but it really doesn't take much to turn me into a blubbering wreck. Actually turned up to work in floods of tears, lovely woman i work with gave me a hug before she went home (she doesnt know about my depression) One of the lads knows and was trying to be supportive but when you're in such a state nothing really matters, words are meaningless unless they're the distructive ones.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Has anyone had experience being on an ssri while taking a slimming/exercise supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

talullah wrote: »
    Bad bad bad day, tried so hard not to use the knives at work...wanted to do it so bad that i'd have to go to hospital but i managed to stop myself. Still need to do something, it's so hard to fight it. :( i hate this.:(

No hospitals. Hospitals arent nice, specially for self harm :(

talullah wrote: »

Tbh i was managing ok before the 'incident' today and doing things to keep my head above water, nice peaceful things in the bit of sunshine - a bit of gardening, played with the dogs etc.

I think that's why I'm going through such a 'good' patch. I have a couple of months off before work starts so I can just sit around being peaceful and trying to expand my mind with lofty thoughts of inner calmness but once I start the job I know it'll be hard not to lose everything I've gained.

Can't relate to the cutting though myself... never could understand it even at times where I'm thinking about suicide I just think 'Either jump under a train or else there's no point hurting yourself unless it gets the job done'. I have a vague awareness of why people self harm but it's just too scary to me.

You keeping ok at the moment Jimmy?

Tough one to answer my friend. On the scale of the last 4 - 5 years I'm internally quite good but in a way I'm still avoiding my main issue to do with my appearance. So I can be all grand in my room, thinking I'm improving (which I feel I am) but there is so much fear relating to balding, wierd face etc. that I can feel the tension physically. That's what I'm addressing at the moment.

It's harder for me to talk about my stuff because I feel like people are usually turned off by anyone who shows any vanity, but it's not vanity it's the reality of attraction. Sure, not great looks can be overcome almost 100% by charisma, charm, warmth etc. but you need to have an inner confidence that I don't feel I could ever have without decent aesthetics.

How bout you? What's your gig?

How bout you? What's your gig?

I've the blues, anxiety along with a whole range of social and self image issues. A well rounded individual you could say :o

So right now, you good or bad? Do you feel like there is one core thing stopping ye from just exploding out into the world in a nuclear bomb of joy and creativity?

I'm alright. Mood is alright however the anxiety has been nagging at me more and more lately.

You do any physical stuff to combat your anxiety?

You do any physical stuff to combat your anxiety?

I live a very sedate lifestyle and that's after not after helping at all.

Do you do anything?

• Advertisement

I'm the same at the moment, exact same because I'm off. Yeah I do a lot, but it's all a bit hard to articulate.

But i'll throw it out there, ye have to open your mind a bit though and realise that you could at the very least strive to be as physically comfortable as you can in every moment.

One thing I do is try and be still like a statue, really disciplined like. Hold my breathing (without puffing my cheeks or a big breath, just stopping everything for a few seconds mid flow) and just and see what happens. I usually recognise quite quickly that I am in a lot more pain than I am usually conscious of.

The key for me is to slow down and appreciate the feeling of physical comfort in each part of my body. Also, making sure I'm not tilting my head. I've been so many years with my head looking down that I have to keep correcting myself and tilt it up.

Ah, if we were talking in person I know I'd be able to connect with ye and get you to feel what I'm talking about but it's hard for someone not to think your a nutjob through text. But just, try to focus on the areas with tension (stomach, neck, arms anywhere) and think "that should not be that uncomfortable" and try and correct it.

Nah doesn't come across nutjob at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anonimous

reading back through this thread, cloud493, have you been to pieta house?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

Sitting on my couch having a cup of tea to nurse a splitting head ache ! No wonder i have a head ache with all the stress i'm putting my self through ( and my partner ! )
    Think I'm nearly getting past the anxiety to go back to work but still have to go back, have swore i would each day this wk, well there is always tomo.

Would love to have this problem over me and then I coudl just worry about enjoying the lovely sunshine !
    Hope someone out there is getting over their problems :)

So right now, you good or bad? Do you feel like there is one core thing stopping ye from just exploding out into the world in a nuclear bomb of joy and creativity?

I very much like the way you've worded that, ohh wouldnt we all love to do that......

Its anxiety stopping me at the moment, it used to be always depression stopping me.......or at least i wasnt as aware of the anxiety, but i certainly am now !!

And u ?

Tough one to answer my friend. On the scale of the last 4 - 5 years I'm internally quite good but in a way I'm still avoiding my main issue to do with my appearance. So I can be all grand in my room, thinking I'm improving (which I feel I am) but there is so much fear relating to balding, wierd face etc. that I can feel the tension physically. That's what I'm addressing at the moment.

Gees dont be so hard on yourself, as a hairdresser said to me lately, what percentage of the population are models anyway ?? Not everyone out there is drop dead gorgeous, and for some its gorgeous on the inside that counts most....
    you sound like a very nice guy ...

I very much like the way you've worded that, ohh wouldnt we all love to do that......

Its anxiety stopping me at the moment, it used to be always depression stopping me.......or at least i wasnt as aware of the anxiety, but i certainly am now !!

And u ?

I think it's much better to be aware of anxiety because I believe it is beaten once you stop trying to hide it from yourself. Mine is improving every day now.

But the one thing stopping me is shame of my appearance. I feel like I'm letting people down just from how I look. It takes a lot of discipline for me to talk to someone (anyone) close up because I feel sorry for what they have to look at. I'm working on it, but it is such a deep-seeded feeling that it doesn't change overnight.

Hope you get back to work soon if that's what you want to do. Otherwise I hope you keep having days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

I think it's much better to be aware of anxiety because I believe it is beaten once you stop trying to hide it from yourself. Mine is improving every day now.

But the one thing stopping me is shame of my appearance. I feel like I'm letting people down just from how I look. It takes a lot of discipline for me to talk to someone (anyone) close up because I feel sorry for what they have to look at. I'm working on it, but it is such a deep-seeded feeling that it doesn't change overnight.

Hope you get back to work soon if that's what you want to do. Otherwise I hope you keep having days off.

I so know how you feel :(

It is my biggest Issue. I am overweight and have a skin condition. I used to be good looking :o, fit and healthy. I feel I cant move on with my life until I at least beat the weight and skin problems. I feel strong in so many ways now and I know myself better then I ever have before but this appearance thing is really holding me back.

I've gotten that too. I call it "flip flopping". It's after happening a couple of times, first anxiety, then the mood, then anxious again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

anonimous wrote: »
    reading back through this thread, cloud493, have you been to pieta house?

Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement