Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

For any self injurers, pieta house really is invaluable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Do you mind me asking, has there been much focus on mirror work with any of the people you've seen? Do you feel you have a problem with visual perception as well? I only ask because I think I do and I've been thinking a lot about mirror exercises that you hear about from people with eating disorders.

I remember in hospital, a patient doing a mirror exercise with me and it was like my eyes could see (for about a minute) what was really there and it was incredible. But I can't remember the specifics and I'm not sure if it was my imagination or not...

My homework for the week is to stand naked in front of the mirror and write what I like! Have not yet done it. We did a few tasks in group last week that involved looking at pictures of different people, mostly women. It's a lot about physical perception. I know I have a problem with physical perception and I am way too obsessed with comparing myself to others.

Ugh from what I can gather from eavesdropping and a cryptic conversation with one of her friends, my housemate tried to kill herself yesterday and then fled the hospital. When I left her in cause she had no key she was laughing. Then there was a lot of coming and going from the house. She was alive this morning anyway and a friend came over. We're not close at all so I don't know what to do. Just scared if she is alone and something happens how I will feel knowing I didn't do anything to help. I know its not my place and she had friends with her, but I'm still worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

What counsellors are ya'll seeilng? I'm on a very very long waiting list.

I'm getting appointments every four weeks on the HSE as i was referred by my gp and first CBT in two weeks. Today was my second appointment and tbh i didnt feel any benefit from it what so ever...it was a different man from the first time i went. He didnt really talk about much just was i feeling any improvement, self-harm, ocd, do i hear voices etc. I brought up my paranoia and he didnt even discuss it, and this was something i really wanted to talk about as it affects my life so much, I'm not good at bringing up topics though or pushing things so maybe that was my own fault.

All i got from today was a higher dose of fluoxetine. Really quite disappointed with it...I dont know maybe i had too high of expectations or something but i have to do with it because can't afford private. Just feel like s/h again but trying not to or o/h will go crazy with me if he sees it.

Then the pharmacist says they dont make 30mg tabs so he gave me the liquid version on fluoxetine which will only last a week because it's all they had left. Am dreading taking it tomorrow, it smells wierd, kinda like mouth wash but wit someting else in it too.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Talullah to me that sounds like the person you're seeing is the consultant psychiatrist,and not the Cbt therapist.they'll only deal with medication,and you'll be on the waiting list for the Cbt therapy.though don't hold your breath,i'm waiting almost 11months now.

Does the HSE prioritize people for therapy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

cloud493 wrote: »
    Does the HSE prioritize people for therapy?

Yes.

i'd love to know what it's based on though

i'd love to know what it's based on though

Same. If you are 'priority', wonder how long it takes to get a therapist sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Same. If you are 'priority', wonder how long it takes to get a therapist sorted.

I was on priority last year after sexual assault and was seen in two weeks.

I'm now back to the back of the waiting list as I missed a few appointments through finding it hard to be organised, my counsellor was very sympathetic but explained to me their protocol is if you miss a few appointments you have to go to the back of the waiting list and she had to do it. I understood.

Guys, Aware now have an online instant chat support room which is excellent. Really fantastic.
    http://support.aware.ie/meetingRoom/873/

• Advertisement

What's guys aware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

What's guys aware?

Eats, shoots & leaves

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anonimous

What's guys aware?

(guys, aware)
    aware is a charity for depression/bi polar etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think i'm going to have to give up work, i really don't want to because it keeps me stable, but feel like there is no option left. Can any of ye let me know how not working feels? I'm just stressed to the ends. :(

What's guys aware?

Aware Cloud, www.Aware.ie, I'd really reccomend it.

Aware Cloud, www.Aware.ie, I'd really reccomend it.

Ah, I see. I'm ok for that kind of thing. Silly to burden myself on anyone. Thank you though :)

I think i'm going to have to give up work, i really don't want to because it keeps me stable, but feel like there is no option left. Can any of ye let me know how not working feels? I'm just stressed to the ends. :(

I've been finished with work since the end of November. work and unemployment are two different worlds. with work you can have so much stress, and no free time, and you can be tired etc. with unemployment (depending on the kind of person you are) you can get very agitated with having nothing to do with your time. the isolation can get to you a lot. some days I only realised i haven't spoken all day until I go into town and hear other people around me. even at that I use self service checkouts so I still don't actually speak to anyone! my friends all work 9-5 so I don't see them mostly till the weekends. wanting to work and not being able to get anything is very bad for your confidence too.

it is nice to not have the stress you'd have from work, but not having a job too easily facilitates sitting in your room by yourself. and it gives you so much time to think. which can be a very bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Guys, Aware now have an online instant chat support room which is excellent. Really fantastic.
    http://support.aware.ie/meetingRoom/873/
    Ah, I see. I'm ok for that kind of thing. Silly to burden myself on anyone. Thank you though :)

I might give that a try actually, thanks. I found the real life groups a bit hit and miss to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

came looking for a thread like this, have felt low and anxious for years, so sick of it! When i get a bad few months I don't want to move I don't want to see people I just want to shut the door which is how I am at the moment! But just looked at Aware website and there's a support group meeting tonight at half seven near me so I'm gonna get up and go can't be going on like this, glad to know i'm not the only one was beginning to crack up by myself :D

I got real panicky this morning. I get this horrible dry throat when I'm anxious and when I started gagging the panic started. :(

• Advertisement

frulewis wrote: »
    came looking for a thread like this, have felt low and anxious for years, so sick of it! When i get a bad few months I don't want to move I don't want to see people I just want to shut the door which is how I am at the moment! But just looked at Aware website and there's a support group meeting tonight at half seven near me so I'm gonna get up and go can't be going on like this, glad to know i'm not the only one was beginning to crack up by myself :D

They also have online support groups which I find to be excellent.

I'm gonna say something awful now but I just kinda want to ask it. Do ye ever find yourselves hearing about someone else talking about their depression and kinda not believing it. Like they have the odd down day, and don't have the best situation in their lives so they diagnose themselves with clinical depression? But I kinda just think they are saying it for attention :-/ Mostly cause they just seem to talk about it a lot but not get any help.

Mostly I feel bad at myself for having these thoughts though. I always seem to jump to the negative in situations. And I know I shouldn't think of myself as some kind of expert! Or judge people, but I do!

Just bothers me that because someone's life isn't great right now does not mean they have depression! Its something I've been dealing with for years and I have been seeking help for for a few years too. I just find it kinda belittling.

I'm gonna say something awful now but I just kinda want to ask it. Do ye ever find yourselves hearing about someone else talking about their depression and kinda not believing it. Like they have the odd down day, and don't have the best situation in their lives so they diagnose themselves with clinical depression? But I kinda just think they are saying it for attention :-/ Mostly cause they just seem to talk about it a lot but not get any help.

Mostly I feel bad at myself for having these thoughts though. I always seem to jump to the negative in situations. And I know I shouldn't think of myself as some kind of expert! Or judge people, but I do!

Just bothers me that because someone's life isn't great right now does not mean they have depression! Its something I've been dealing with for years and I have been seeking help for for a few years too. I just find it kinda belittling.

The internet is full of people with self diagnosed depression :rolleyes: I know plenty of people like that, don't think its wrong to think that.

Its just like "Oh I've told my friends and my family I have depression, huge weight off my back. Now to go on about it but not get any help."

I'm not saying my depression is better or worse than anyone elses, but at least its been diagnosed by several professionals.

I never told my family, and I told a couple of friends but they didn't really want to hear about it like.

Had a bit of a moment earlier. Was on Skype to my mam, and she is sending me out a parcel and I mentioned a few t-shirts I had left at home that I like. Then it entered my head that before I left for Canada I got 6 months of my tablets, but took them out of the cardboard boxes, just took the pill sheets. And I have a vague memory of me putting all the boxes in my t-shirt drawer. Now I can't remember for sure, but I really don't want her looking there :-/ Don't know how I'd explain it.

I know what you mean. Like if they honestly think they're depressed then by all means I'll help them and encourage them to go to their doctor. Self diagnosis and just moaning isn't gonna help anyone.

Kaching wrote: »
    I'm really sorry now but do you know for certain that they dont ? its very stigmatized so as you can imagine people don't like to talk about it. Some don't get any help because they are terrified and not quite sure what "help" actually entails. And some people do try to get help but they dont find it does them any good.
    I'm not having a pop at you but people talking about their depression is a lot healthier than them bottling it all up and killing themselves in my opinion.
    I have heard some weird tales about people cutting themselves to show the scars to their friends. You may call it attention seeking , many would but personally I think there is a deep rooted depression there .
    Bottom line is we never truly know what goes on in someones head so its not for us to say that they dont have depression.

Which is why I feel bad for having the thoughts!

My point really is that the particular person I have in mind does talk about it all the time, but no has never sought professional help.

I know what you mean PP, but I try not to assume that the person hasn't actually been diagnosed. if you know they haven't then yeah it's very frustrating.

I particularly hate people saying something is 'depressing', am, no it's not.

I particularly hate people saying something is 'depressing', am, no it's not.

So true. It almost belittles people who are actually depressed.

My main goal in life is to not let others get to me so much. I have such a short temper and will get upset and go off on a rant over the smallest thing!

I mean this person talking about their feelings does not affect me at all, why I am so upset about it? I just want to be one of those easy going people who just gets on with their day. Need to stop letting everything affect me so much.

I blame the internet though, not myself :pac:

• Advertisement

I have a lot of people, specially on facebook, who think their depressed, when their like, 14, 15, and it bugs me, to be frank :pac:

*Not that I'm saying you can't be depressed at that age, just that.. I can tell their not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement