Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I believe there's a couple of students on here. How do ye cope with the increasing workload and stress generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

procrastination . Am now cramming an entire assignment which I had 3 weeks to do and is due Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

So, today was the big day, went to the hospital, found the mental health OPD, went to reception window and dropped in letter. Queue three receptionist (?) types looking at my referral letter and appointment diary. So. No app for me, come back in two weeks. And for some reason i'm a total wreck after it all. Argh. :mad:
    Sorry to hear that, just to be safe I'd ring them a few days before the next apointment.

Feeling low today, could definetly do with an early night.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jammstarr wrote: »
    I believe there's a couple of students on here. How do ye cope with the increasing workload and stress generally?

I crammed everything the day before. I don't recommend it.

nesf wrote: »
    I crammed everything the day before. I don't recommend it.

neither do I but I seem to get the briefs with great intentions then i just get slumped and overwhelmed and nothing gets done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

cloud493 wrote: »
    Didnt actually see anyone wearing orange today, self harm awareness :rolleyes:

I noticed one in real life and three on facebook.

Procrastinate and cram. It doesn't pay off, I've already failed a couple of class tests, scraped a pass in some assaignments and failed an actual exam because of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

How is everyone at the mo? I was high as a kite the last few days so wasn't on here because i could barely sit still. Oh and i note age was asked, i'm 33. Thanks Aoifums, i will definitely be calling ahead, in all my years of appointments for other things this has never happened. Is there many here at college? How is concentration for you all?

Is there many here at college? How is concentration for you all?

Its non existent for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Kaching wrote: »
    Its non existent for me

Do you try anything to help? I'm thinking about a return but like most changes it frightens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can't study at all, so I just don't try these days. Retain as much as I can remember, basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Kaching wrote: »
    Its non existent for me

In the same boat as you there, it's poor at best for me. Generally not interested in my course, but I don't think my concentration is as good as it was years ago. I do worry about it from time to time, well far more so recently if I'm being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Like a few others have said, by immense amounts of procrastination and leaving things to the last minute >.< You think I would have learned by now! Every year I say I won't do it, but it stays the same. I feel bad about it, as my lecturers have been ridiculously supportive, but I still let them down. I failed every one of my modules last semester like :/ Fell like sh1t about that. This year was meant to make up for my crappy degree, but it's the same as always.

I'm 22, seeing as age was mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Youngest person in the thread :cool:

Oh, ahem. i meant 33 months :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Generally no study unless I'm on a high - got a crapload of work done tonight which probably would've taken a couple of weeks otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

I usent to ever study when i was in college...would glance over stuff and whatever the brain remembered would have to do, never been able to concentrate long enough to study or sit and do assignments or anything.

Eventually dropped out of the last course i did because i couldnt do the assignments even though my tutor was so helpful and gave me extensions on them and everything.

It's weird, thinking back my past seems like a blur now, kinda like it never happened or that it was someone else like i'm watching it on tv or something, just feel so detatched from everything at the minute.

I'm only doing a part time access type course and the workload isn't even that bad. I'll be a right mess when I start up full time in Sept :o

Morning all, despite not having had best sleep, form is ok, going to take advantage and head for a good stroll in a while, clear some cobwebs out of my head with any luck. How is everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Got a full night's sleep so pretty ok today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I was never able to cope that well with it. Went from being a straight A student in secondary school to struggling constantly in college. :( Eventually, all I could do was swallow my pride and ask the counselling service at university to contact my lecturers and explain my situation to them.

Am starting a Masters in September and I need it to go much better than my degree. I so hope most of my issues will be gone by then; a fresh start and a second chance at academia may be exactly what I need. But, of course, it could very easily go pear-shaped and drag me back to square one again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I was never able to cope that well with it. Went from being a straight A student in secondary school to struggling constantly in college. :( Eventually, all I could do was swallow my pride and ask the counselling service at university to contact my lecturers and explain my situation to them.

Am starting a Masters in September and I need it to go much better than my degree. I so hope most of my issues will be gone by then; a fresh start and a second chance at academia may be exactly what I need. But, of course, it could very easily go pear-shaped and drag me back to square one again.

Graphite, may I ask you how they helped? I'm in first year as a mature... I did well enough in semester 1, but I literally haven't attended since the start of semester 2 because ive been too anxious about leaving the house..

I have a first time appointment on Monday... I'm afraid I'm going to flunk out. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I just started my masters after taking a year out after my undergrad. Pretty tough to get back into the swing of things and get motivated, have been leaving things till the last minute alot :-/ Maybe try and make a study schedule with lots of breaks and time to relax? I know that helped me during my finals for my degree, must try it again!

I'm an excellent crammer though, work best under pressure. Have been doing better the last couple of weeks though and getting assignments done a few days early. I make a list of all the assignments I have due and prioritise them, but make sure I have time to relax everyday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I just started my masters after taking a year out after my undergrad. Pretty tough to get back into the swing of things and get motivated, have been leaving things till the last minute alot :-/ Maybe try and make a study schedule with lots of breaks and time to relax? I know that helped me during my finals for my degree, must try it again!

I'm an excellent crammer though, work best under pressure. Have been doing better the last couple of weeks though and getting assignments done a few days early. I make a list of all the assignments I have due and prioritise them, but make sure I have time to relax everyday too.
    Would you recommend taking a year out before a masters? I'm in two minds at the minute... There's a course in Trinity I really want to do next year, but I'm worried that I'll still be the same way as I've been the whole way through degree/diploma i.e. procrastinating like a b1tch. On the other hand, I know if I take a year out and I don't end up with anything to do, I'll get really really down due to all the time to think. I'm confused :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Graphite, may I ask you how they helped? I'm in first year as a mature... I did well enough in semester 1, but I literally haven't attended since the start of semester 2 because ive been too anxious about leaving the house..

I have a first time appointment on Monday... I'm afraid I'm going to flunk out. :-(

Well if you're feeling that anxious, going for counselling would definitely be a great idea. If you find yourself unable to leave the house for the appointment, I'd try ringing them and explaining that situation to them.

I probably would have failed my final year if my counsellor hadn't contacted my final year project supervisor. My FYP was a disaster but when my supervisor got the letter he gave me a little extra time to get the report done and stuff. Universities and colleges can be pretty understanding and accommodating when it comes to health issues like this. Depends which college you go to though, I guess.

Concentration is worrying because i know i really should go to college rather than stay in current job, maybe i should look into a work/study type course. To those of you studying, well done being there, still not feeling brave enough to make the jump yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Sorry to interrupt, just thought I'd give a bit of an update: not going inpatient as I'm thankfully more stable now, but am going to a day hospital instead.

You're not interrupting, by the way, that's great. Nobody wants to be in hospital for any reason, i'm sure you're the same. Nearly went myself recently, hopefully i'll be able to stay out. Well done you. ;)

Oops, speaking on my behalf that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Would you recommend taking a year out before a masters? I'm in two minds at the minute... There's a course in Trinity I really want to do next year, but I'm worried that I'll still be the same way as I've been the whole way through degree/diploma i.e. procrastinating like a b1tch. On the other hand, I know if I take a year out and I don't end up with anything to do, I'll get really really down due to all the time to think. I'm confused :/

I can't really make a recommendation, just tell you why I did it. I was super stressed during my last semester of my degree and just couldn't even think about looking into masters courses. So that's when I planned to take a year out and take my time looking into courses. Turns out before I even got my final results I got a scholarship offer to Canada, which I could have take up straight away. But I still needed to do my GMAT entrance exams, apply and sort out a move, and I was having a lot of problems at the time so I put it off until I was ready, just couldn't deal with the stress. I also needed to work for the year to save money.

If your sure that's the course for you maybe go for it? I didn't even know what masters I wanted and didn't have the motivation to do research.It's hard for me to advise you, I think you know better yourself. The year out did the world of good for me but money wise it was necessary. Mood wise, who knows what would have happened? I might have gotten better in college too. I just had so many burnouts during my final year I felt I needed to relax, but kinda love being back in college now.

Sorry to interrupt, just thought I'd give a bit of an update: not going inpatient as I'm thankfully more stable now, but am going to a day hospital instead.

Glad to hear you're doing a bit better man :)

• Advertisement

doubt it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement