Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Singles, Timothy Croughs , Inchicore - Starts 20/2 for 10 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.T.D Ste

Go shane because one day soon you'll come up against the real barrel ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Will nobody go please so I can win at least 1 game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Jaysus Andy going through a rough patch? your normally in the latter stages mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

its me shane o connor do ya think i shold turn out tomorrow because i am no going all i am doing is trying to better myself by playing
    "I am the one and only
    Nobody I'd rather be
    I am the one and only
    You can't take that away from me"

Loving the Chesney Hawkes walk-on music O Connor:pac::pac::pac::cool::p

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

its me shane o connor do ya think i shold turn out tomorrow because i am no going all i am doing is trying to better myself by playing

Maybe they should tell phil taylor to stop playing in events to give others a chance .What aloud of balls if shane keeps winning so be it if he is paying his money he is intitled to enter if people cant beat him tough try HARDER..

• Advertisement

think i might venture over to this for some practice before sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maverick180

i am turning up today im doing nothing wrong

Might see you there so shane

AndyP wrote: »
    Will nobody go please so I can win at least 1 game!

There ya go, ya beat me handy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭btx170

Week No 6 Results
    Competition going well despite efforts of some detractors on this site.
    Good turnout and some excellents darts played on the day. Only 4 weeks to go so anybody wishing to qualify for overall finals should ensure that they meet qualifying criteria.

Last 8
    Michael O'Sullivan bt Andy Poole
    David Byrne bt Paul Ryan
    Shane O'Connor bt Ken Kennedy
    James Hoban bt Arthur O'Brien

S/Finals
    Michael O'Sullivan bt David Byrne
    Shane O'Connor bt James Hoban

Final
    Shane O'Connor 3 Michael O'Sullivan 0

• Advertisement

It would appear that certain armchair darts philosophers who frequently contaminate this site with inane drivel have been having a pop at my running of this competition. I subscribed to this forum for the primary purpose of furnishing darts information and if possible to participate in constructive and intelligent dialogue. However I have no intention of engaging in any ongoing innocuous verbal debate with individuals who would perhaps be better suited to the Soaps forum :P
    However I would like to avail of this opportunity to clarify the actual situation and to outline the background to this exaggerated controversy so that it can finally be put to bed :)

This competition, ls open to all players including the previously named player who allegedly has been told not to turn up for future competitions. Some weeks ago, in the course of a private and informal conversation I remarked to the player in question that as a consequence of him winning the competition nearly every week I was losing players. This had actually happened at another competition I ran last year in a different pub.
    I suggested that perhaps he should go awol for an odd week to alleviate the situation and make my position a little easier. I did not tell him that he was banned or could not play in the competition. :( He said that he would not be at the next two competitions anyway citing personal family reasons so I thought no more of the matter. He subsequently turned up and won the next two competitions. :confused: Had I banned him as alleged I would have simply refused his entry. Shane's participation in this competition, as a present/former PDC player had in fact been queried on the very first week of the competition but I ignored suggestions that he should not be allowed to play. Had I wished to prevent him playing I would have done so then. Indeed I would have been perfectly entitled to do so as there are many instances of player restrictions in other competitions.
    This competition is only a local pub competition designed to encourage young and not so young inexperienced players to compete against more seasoned players. The short format 3x601 games and the Double start attempts to address the imbalance between both category of player. However cream inevitably rises to the top and the better player usually triumphs as is certainly the case in this competition so far.
    Again I stress that this was an informal discussion among friends. I actually started Shane playing darts competively and nurtured and encouraged him through his formative years. I think therefore I am entitled to speak frankly to him and in fact often do on other unrelated matters.
    For reasons best known to himself Shane has foolishly chosen to go public with what was essentially a private matter portraying himself as somewhat of a victim. In doing so he misrepresented the substance of our conversation with the result that I have been unfairly castigated and pilloried as being unfair and incompetent. Anyone who knows me will assure all that I am neither. Shane should have discussed any percieved grievance with me and only me. This competition acknowledges all participating darts players not just for the gifted few. I run this competition fairly I reserve the right to continue to do so in the interests of the overall sport. Finally I would suggest that that only individuals with something constructive to offer should post on this thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭damo180

I would like to apologise for my previous post regarding your tournament.
    I now realise I posted without the full facts.
    Continued success in all you do in promoting the sport you obviously love.

I was at this tournament on saturday just gone, first time i went, i'll probably come back again i reckon.

Tournament was pretty well run, it got running shortly after 5 as advertised (and lord knows some tournaments take forever to get underway) so that was a nice + point for it.

Shane was there but then so was McCracken, Michael O Sullivan and Joe Coyne appeared too, Andy Poole. There wasnt a lack of people who could give shane a game.

Double in was a real leveller (ironically i was away in a snap and couldnt finish), Its a short enough format but it was enjoyable, had i been snappier finishing i think i might have made a better fist of my game with Andy, we were polar opposites, he was slow away, i was snappy away, i was slow finishing, get gobbled up the finishing doubles. Thats the difference

Despite losing 5-2 the next day in the players championship, i feel playing at this the day before helped settle nerves and helped me on my doubles.

Would reccomend anyone around to head along. I also would like to apologise to everyone, i gave shane a set of flights and he seemed to love them and went on to win it. Thus im clearly at fault for not making him play with his busted up flights :)

i kid i kid

Thanks Damo. Your honesty is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Dicie

btx170 wrote: »
    It would appear that certain armchair darts philosophers who frequently contaminate this site with inane drivel have been having a pop at my running of this competition. I subscribed to this forum for the primary purpose of furnishing darts information and if possible to participate in constructive and intelligent dialogue. However I have no intention of engaging in any ongoing innocuous verbal debate with individuals who would perhaps be better suited to the Soaps forum :P
    However I would like to avail of this opportunity to clarify the actual situation and to outline the background to this exaggerated controversy so that it can finally be put to bed :)

This competition, ls open to all players including the previously named player who allegedly has been told not to turn up for future competitions. Some weeks ago, in the course of a private and informal conversation I remarked to the player in question that as a consequence of him winning the competition nearly every week I was losing players. This had actually happened at another competition I ran last year in a different pub.
    I suggested that perhaps he should go awol for an odd week to alleviate the situation and make my position a little easier. I did not tell him that he was banned or could not play in the competition. :( He said that he would not be at the next two competitions anyway citing personal family reasons so I thought no more of the matter. He subsequently turned up and won the next two competitions. :confused: Had I banned him as alleged I would have simply refused his entry. Shane's participation in this competition, as a present/former PDC player had in fact been queried on the very first week of the competition but I ignored suggestions that he should not be allowed to play. Had I wished to prevent him playing I would have done so then. Indeed I would have been perfectly entitled to do so as there are many instances of player restrictions in other competitions.
    This competition is only a local pub competition designed to encourage young and not so young inexperienced players to compete against more seasoned players. The short format 3x601 games and the Double start attempts to address the imbalance between both category of player. However cream inevitably rises to the top and the better player usually triumphs as is certainly the case in this competition so far.
    Again I stress that this was an informal discussion among friends. I actually started Shane playing darts competively and nurtured and encouraged him through his formative years. I think therefore I am entitled to speak frankly to him and in fact often do on other unrelated matters.
    For reasons best known to himself Shane has foolishly chosen to go public with what was essentially a private matter portraying himself as somewhat of a victim. In doing so he misrepresented the substance of our conversation with the result that I have been unfairly castigated and pilloried as being unfair and incompetent. Anyone who knows me will assure all that I am neither. Shane should have discussed any percieved grievance with me and only me. This competition acknowledges all participating darts players not just for the gifted few. I run this competition fairly I reserve the right to continue to do so in the interests of the overall sport. Finally I would suggest that that only individuals with something constructive to offer should post on this thread. :)

After speaking to mac cracken on sunday in the green isle over a beer or 2, it wud seem that Bobby isnt at fault, but neither therefore is Shane.

Competition, within the name, is just that, we pitt our wits or skills versus them that are better/worse than us on any given day.

But darts players are a fikkel bunch, hate to see anyone doing well, or better than they think they shud do. Shame that instead of moaning behind closed doors, or having a word with Bobby they shud get the arris up away from the bar, and practice, maybe it is these people who wud be better suited to these soap forums, seeing as how they have acted like old women in the 1st place.

Im sure Bobby, your around long enough now to know, not everyone is going to be pleased all of the time, and there is very little worse than a darts player that cant see past 1 player in the room winning. Better they get off de ar se and practice rather than moaning like old ladies.

great competition, and was way back when we had Jack/John Mac Kenna, tom Kirby, Mick mac Gowan, John Burke, Gary buchanan to name but a few.... Not many moaned then, what they done was got up and tried to beat them.

As for Shane, i dont think it was him that made it public, i think it came from someone who heard it second hand..

All the best, and i know these competitions bring players on, the likes of Gareth gray, shane, and even god forbid Mac Cracken.

Alan

This weeks competition has been put back to 7pm to facilitate players involved in the competition in the nearby Good Counsel on the same day.We will revert back to the usual 5pm start next week. This is week No 7 and there are a lot of good players who need to pick up points to ensure participation in the overall finals. If you are not in you can't win. Happy Easter all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bettyswollox

This weeks competition has been put back to 7pm to facilitate players involved in the competition in the nearby Good Counsel on the same day.We will revert back to the usual 5pm start next week. This is week No 7 and there are a lot of good players who need to pick up points to ensure participation in the overall finals. If you are not in you can't win. Happy Easter all :)
    You might see a few ex players from the borough league travel over in the next few weeks, im sure we would be made welcome.

Actually we have already had a few players from the Borough League play in this competition. Steven Andrews, Gary Gregory,Gary Healy and Clive and Will Devlin to name but a few that come to mind. Traditionally the standard in the Borough League was very good. I actually played darts with such players as Dave Kellaghan, Stephen Mulhall, Ciaran McGrath, Billy Matthews, Anto Lynch, Peter Crowe, Robbie Hammond and Mick Kane etc. who were all excellent players.
    The present standard of Darts in Ireland is very very good. However I personally believe that the standard in Dublin is very poor. Dublin is not producing sufficient quality players to make an impact at national level. I have my own ideas as to why this has happened but that is another days work. I would not be in a position to voice an informed opinion as to the present standard of darts in the Borough League. However I have a suspicion that the present Dublin malaise is perhaps also reflected by a similiar deterioration of standard in that league. Either way I do know that there are still some excellent players in Borough League and you are all more than welcome in this competition. I hope to run a League in Dublin next year and perhaps we will revive the annual fixture between the Borough League and ourselves which was a feature of the Dublin darts calender in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Actually we have already had a few players from the Borough League play in this competition. Steven Andrews, Gary Gregory,Gary Healy and Clive and Will Devlin to name but a few that come to mind. Traditionally the standard in the Borough League was very good. I actually played darts with such players as Dave Kellaghan, Stephen Mulhall, Ciaran McGrath, Billy Matthews, Anto Lynch, Peter Crowe, Robbie Hammond and Mick Kane etc. who were all excellent players.
    The present standard of Darts in Ireland is very very good. However I personally believe that the standard in Dublin is very poor. Dublin is not producing sufficient quality players to make an impact at national level. I have my own ideas as to why this has happened but that is another days work. I would not be in a position to voice an informed opinion as to the present standard of darts in the Borough League. However I have a suspicion that the present Dublin malaise is perhaps also reflected by a similiar deterioration of standard in that league. Either way I do know that there are still some excellent players in Borough League and you are all more than welcome in this competition. I hope to run a League in Dublin next year and perhaps we will revive the annual fixture between the Borough League and ourselves which was a feature of the Dublin darts calender in my time.
    Alright Bobby, who ended up winning this saturday?

Apologies to Peter Rowe for misspelling his name in last post.

• Advertisement

Big crowd again Saturday. Competition did not go as smoothly as usual because of overrun with the earlier George Byrne tournament in the Good Counsel. A lot of players played both competitions and a good sup was had by one and all. Congratulations to the brillant Willie O'Connor on winning the George Byrne Memorial and fair play to the Byrne brothers who again did their father proud. The darts on stage were of the highest quality emphasising the fact that the standard of darts in Ireland is exceptionally good at present.
    Our own competition overran a bit timewise but this was a one off hiccup and we revert to the usual 5pm start next week. This weeks winner was the talented and improving David Byrne from Kildare who defeated John Dunne(Wesso) in a closely conttested final. Other players of note on the day were Alan O'Reilly, Sean Egan, James Hoban, Anto Doyle, Owen Kelly and brothers Graham and Nathan Matthews.

Week No 7 Results

Last 8
    David Byrne bt Alan O'Reilly
    John Dunne bt Paul Irving
    James Hoban bt Anto Doyle
    Sean Egan bt Gerry Healy

S/Finals
    John Dunne bt Sean Egan
    David Byrne bt James Hoban

Final
    David Byrne 3 John Dunne 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Big crowd again Saturday. Competition did not go as smoothly as usual because of overrun with the earlier George Byrne tournament in the Good Counsel. A lot of players played both competitions and a good sup was had by one and all. Congratulations to the brillant Willie O'Connor on winning the George Byrne Memorial and fair play to the Byrne brothers who again did their father proud. The darts on stage were of the highest quality emphasising the fact that the standard of darts in Ireland is exceptionally good at present.
    Our own competition overran a bit timewise but this was a one off hiccup and we revert to the usual 5pm start next week. This weeks winner was the talented and improving David Byrne from Kildare who defeated John Dunne(Wesso) in a closely conttested final. Other players of note on the day were Alan O'Reilly, Sean Egan, James Hoban, Anto Doyle, Owen Kelly and brothers Graham and Nathan Matthews.

Week No 7 Results
    Last 8
    David Byrne bt Alan O'Reilly
    John Dunne bt Paul Irving
    James Hoban bt Anto Doyle
    Sean Egan bt Gerry Healy

S/Finals
    John Dunne bt Sean Egan
    David Byrne bt James Hoban

Final
    David Byrne 3 John Dunne 1

That's Davb from boards, fair play mate! :)

You might see a few ex players from the borough league travel over in the next few weeks, im sure we would be made welcome.

Thought the ex in your post was a misprint. Sorry to hear of your troubles in the Borough League. Had a few similiar problems regarding breach of rules and procedure in the League we played in this year. We fulfilled our fixtures but the enjoyment went out of it. Have decided to run our own League next year. League rules can only be changed at an AGM or at an extra ordinary general meeting though most Leagues have a nuclear option empowering themselves to override everything bar the budget.
    I hope you can resolve these issues privately. They most definitely should not be aired in public as outside interference tends to blur the picture and can lead to needless anomosity.
    Anyway you are more than welcome to pay us a visit. Could be doing with the competition.Give my regards to Anto.

Only three weeks remaining to qualify for the overall finals with a prize fund of 1200 Euro :) So come on lads lets be having you. If you are not in you can't win. Competition this week reverts back to usual 5pm start
    Points Position Week 7 --3rd April

Shane O'Connor 56
    2 Paul Ryan 28
    3 James Hoban 22
    4 Eugene McArdle 20
    5 Mark Kinsella 19
    6 David Byrne 18
    7 JP Kinsella 18
    8 Anto McCracken 17
    9 Sean McArdle 16
    Gary Buchanan 15
    11 Jason McCann 13
    12 Graham Rooney 12
    13 Arthur O'Brien 12
    14 John Dunne 12
    15 Ben Stenson 10
    16 Andy Poole 10
    17 Glen Spearing 9
    18 Frank Kelly 9
    19 Keith Crook 9
    20 Steven Andrews 9

The top how many qualify for the finals?????

how many points is it for semi final / final places???

just wanna see what kinda damage i need to do to qualify

The top how many qualify for the finals?????

how many points is it for semi final / final places???

just wanna see what kinda damage i need to do to qualify

Top 20 Qualify for overall finals.Winner each week gets 10pts --R/U 8pts --S/F 6pts etc

Gah lost in the Last 16 again, should have won my match too, missed D12 for a 103 checkout to win it, then wired 12, 6 and 3

nightmare

Numbers down this week possibly due to our much needed blast of sunshine. However the quality of the darts compensated for the lack of numbers. Overall standard was excellent with numerous 180's recorded. Players of note included Gareth Gray, Shane O'Connor, James Hoban, Ken Kennedy, Jason McCann and the luckless Ross O'Brien.
    Form players Gareth Gray and Shane O'Connor eventually contested a classic final. First four games went with throw but Gareth then produced an exceptional last leg against the darts to emerge victorious. Both players are to be commended for their contribution to an epic finale.

Week No 8 Results
    Last 8
    Shane O'Connor bt Glen Spearing
    James Hoban bt Jason McCann
    Gareth Gray bt Ken Kennedy
    Ross O'Brien bt Eamon Dempsey
    S/Finals
    Gareth Gray 2 Ross O'Brien 1
    Shane O'Connor 2 James Hoban 0
    Final
    Gareth Gray 3 Shane O'Connor 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

That was big Ken I take it Bobby? I was telling him about this a few weeks ago and he said he would call over.

• Advertisement

Carrickman wrote: »
    That was big Ken I take it Bobby? I was telling him about this a few weeks ago and he said he would call over.

Same as. Played well and got to quarter finals both occasions he togged out . Up against eventual winner each time so not disgraced. Said he needed more drink :) Donegal prices in this venue 3 Euro 30 cents all pints.
    How are you keeping yourself ? Well I hope. I see you are still heavily involved in the Darts up there. Sure why not. I can't seem to get away from them myself though I do not play a lot nowadays. The remote control on my darts hasn't worked for some time :) Good to hear from you. Take care and drop in next time you visit the big smoke.

Advertisement