Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

lads, should I upgrade to Oneiric? I'm cloning my Natty install anyway

tbf, when Installed Windows 7, it didn't have drivers for wifi, webcam, Intel graphics, audio or Ethernet. Ubuntu supported all this out of the box for me
    This is despite the fact that the Windows install ISO is 3GB, while Ubuntu's is just 700MB

Just remember that Linux is NOT Windows.

shadowninty: Go ahead. I don't see why you wouldn't want to have the most up-to-date software, all the time.

Ok, updating now...
    If this goes wrong I'm blaming you Conor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I'm after taking my laptop apart looking for the CMOS battery :pac:

Couldn't find it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Its on the motherboard :D

I thought you fixed it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Its on the motherboard :D

I looked all over the motherboard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Is it possible to like copy dvds to my laptop so I can watch them without the disks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

lads, should I upgrade to Oneiric? I'm cloning my Natty install anyway
    Ugh, I'm now 2 upgrades behind on ubuntu. When did this happen?

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ#Q.29_When_will_the_new_release_be_made.3F

:pac:
    Is it possible to like copy dvds to my laptop so I can watch them without the disks?

Well, you'll have to check first of all if the terms under which you bought the DVD allow you to make a copy. Under Irish law, it's up to the creator of the work to decide if it can be legally reproduced or not.

Given that it's legal to do this if it your DVD doesn't specifically say that you can't (most do), I suppose it's OK to tell you that yes, it is possible. :pac:
    If you Google a tutorial for a program such as "DVD Rip", you can learn how to do it.

Oh, I know you can get rolling updates but that can cause instability and I'm really not that bothered. Hopefully, by September, I should be in a position where I can mess around with my computer without any real major risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Yes I tried the first few parts of this on a dvd I had it seems easy enough, I never got to shrinking it, if you don't a normal sd dvd can be 8gb or more:o

Hope this helps: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/rip-a-dvd/

Updating failed for me so I went back to my partition image backup

Oh, I know you can get rolling updates but that can cause instability and I'm really not that bothered. Hopefully, by September, I should be in a position where I can mess around with my computer without any real major risks.

Can it? :eek: Other distros... :rolleyes:
    (Arch is amazingly stable. The only thing that can break is Wine, but that's not Arch's fault, rather Wine's, and Wine users have ways of dealing with their programs suddenly not-working)

Can it? :eek: Other distros... :rolleyes:
    (Arch is amazingly stable. The only thing that can break is Wine, but that's not Arch's fault, rather Wine's, and Wine users have ways of dealing with their programs suddenly not-working)
    I've never actually set up a rolling updates OS but most warn that things may break because of untested updates.

I've been meaning to get an Arch boot for a while. I've an unused Peppermint boot that can be overwritten. Another task for September.

nothing broke for me when I updated to Natty. Its not Windows

I've never actually set up a rolling updates OS but most warn that things may break because of untested updates.

I've been meaning to get an Arch boot for a while. I've an unused Peppermint boot that can be overwritten. Another task for September.

In my experience, Arch hasn't broken. Maybe packages might, but the packages are well-maintained and tested anyway. Best of luck when you do get it going. It's a learning journey, alright.

In my experience, Arch hasn't broken. Maybe packages might, but the packages are well-maintained and tested anyway. Best of luck when you do get it going. It's a learning journey, alright.
    Well, I'm fairly comfortable on ubuntu atm. At a stage where I don't have to go to google all that often anymore. Starting to get the hang of terminal command and other stuff at this stage.

Upgraded to 11.10. Found out that LightDM was the cause of my problems. Stick to GDM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

This looks like an appropriate place to post this:

quad_formula_proof.jpg

I had a nerdgasm when I saw it first... :cool:

Isn't that how everybody does quadratic equations? :P

[latex]x^2 + 3x + 8 = 0[/latex]
    [latex](x + \frac{3}{2})^2 + \frac{23}{4} = 0[/latex]
    [latex]x = - \frac{3}{2} + \frac{ \sqrt{23}i }{4}[/latex]
    or
    [latex]x = - \frac{3}{2} - \frac{ \sqrt{23}i }{4}[/latex]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Isn't that how everybody does quadratic equations? :P

[latex]x^2 + 3x + 8 = 0[/latex]
    [latex](x + \frac{3}{2})^2 + \frac{23}{4} = 0[/latex]
    [latex]x = - \frac{3}{2} + \frac{ \sqrt{23}i }{4}[/latex]
    or
    [latex]x = - \frac{3}{2} - \frac{ \sqrt{23}i }{4}[/latex]

Nah we always just used the formula which seemed crazy until i saw how straightforward it was to prove :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nah we always just used the formula which seemed crazy until i saw how straightforward it was to prove :-P
    I think this highlights one of the problems with maths education.

Upgraded to 11.10. Found out that LightDM was the cause of my problems. Stick to GDM

Slim worked fine for me. If you want a lighter login manager it might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Installed Ubuntu 11.04 myself a few weeks ago. I was using a previous Ubuntu version in college because it just starts up SO much faster. Still have XP on the HDD to dual boot but I rarely find myself booting into windows these days. Thanks to whoever said you can use Google Earth after installing WINE :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I just downloaded the phpBB English language pack for translation. It's huge. Also, I haven't figured out which pieces of the text I'm supposed to take out, which I'm supposed to leave in English and which I'm supposed to translate. This could take a while...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Has anyone ever read the Apple software licensing agreement?
    THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
    You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.

It's mad, Ted!

The crew of LA Class nuclear submarines must've been disappoint that their ship ran on Red Hat instead of OSX :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Ok, ill be honest and admit that as I was reading that I was thinking more along the lines of Itunes than the Mac OS.....

Advertisement