Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Can anyone help with this? :o

2 + Square Root3 is a root of the equation x^2 - 4x + c = 0, where c is a real number.
    Find the value of c and write down the other root.

Ok so, I get it down to c=1, which means that the root must be 2 - Square Root3, so what I'm wondering is, if that were to come up in an exam, but the answer was c=3, how would I find the other root? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Let c=3 and re-write the equation to suit that?

Let c=3 and re-write the equation to suit that?

Oh I see, thanks. :)

It's just all to do with the minus b formula so. :) I don't think they'd ever put it up on ordinary level, but better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

How odd, I was just coming here for maths help myself.

I've a note scribbled in my maths notebook, in a little faraway corner, that the exponential (e) raised to the power of a natural log, say of x (ln x) is equal to x.

i.e e^lnx = x

or, to use a constant

e^ln5 = 5

I've obviously forgotten this, as this was news to me (it's not in any of the T&T books, as far as I know). My calculator is unwilling to verify it too, helpfully letting me know "SYNTAX ERROR". So what I'm wondering is, is this true or is this some mistaken note I scribbled down eons ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If anyone has a casual interest in Philosophy I'd recommend watching this series. It deals with Nietzsche, Martin Heidegger, and Jean-Paul Sarte and explains their lives and opinions in a very accessible way (Which suits me because I wouldn't have a notion what they were on about otherwise!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nietzsche is a fascinating philosopher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

jumpguy wrote: »
    How odd, I was just coming here for maths help myself.

I've a note scribbled in my maths notebook, in a little faraway corner, that the exponential (e) raised to the power of a natural log, say of x (ln x) is equal to x.

i.e e^lnx = x

or, to use a constant

e^ln5 = 5

I've obviously forgotten this, as this was news to me (it's not in any of the T&T books, as far as I know). My calculator is unwilling to verify it too, helpfully letting me know "SYNTAX ERROR". So what I'm wondering is, is this true or is this some mistaken note I scribbled down eons ago?

Yup, e^lnx = x. Also works the opposite way: ln(e^x) = x.

This is a property of logs: for any constants a and x,

[latex]
    \displaystyle
    {log_a a^x = x}
    [/latex]

and

[latex]
    \displaystyle
    {a^{log_a x} = x}
    [/latex]

In your case, a is Euler's number. :)

Me again.. :( haha

f(x) = x - 5 over x, ie: x -5/x not x-5/x

Find F'(x), the derivative of f(x).

So I get that down to x-5x^-1

But then I was looking at the answer, and when they differentiate it, it goes to:

f'(x) = 1+5x^-2 :confused:

Where does the ^-2 come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

suspect knifey's interpeted the question wrong, this is why brackets are the best!

if it's x-(5/x) then the answer given is correct and there's no need for the quotient rule, just the standard rule for differentiating powers. -1 -1 = -2, gives us -1*x^-2, but it was -1/x so we get +5*x^-2

the one is the derivative of x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ah, I kept reading it as (x-5)/x instead of x - (5/x). Oops. :o

Noel, in future remember that brackets are your friend!

• Advertisement

Use the quotient rule:

[latex]
    \displaystyle
    \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{v\frac{du}{dx} - u\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}
    [/latex]

So put u = x -5 and v = x.
    Then du/dx and dv/dx both equal to 1.
    Now apply the quotient rule and you should end up with 5x^-2. (Unless I missed something, the 1 in the answer you quoted is a typo and shouldn't be there.)

Remember: for any number a, [latex]\frac{1}{x^a} = x^{-a}[/latex]

Btw you could also use the product rule to solve this, by rewriting it as [latex]x^{-1}(x - 5)[/latex]
    Or you could just rewrite [latex]\frac{x-5}{x}[/latex] as [latex]1 - \frac{5}{x}[/latex] and differentiate it then. :)

Sorry I worded my original post terribly, I forgot to put the brackets in to make it seem how it should've been, so it should've been x-(5/x) as cocoa says! :( Thanks btw. :)
    cocoa wrote: »
    suspect knifey's interpeted the question wrong, this is why brackets are the best!

if it's x-(5/x) then the answer given is correct and there's no need for the quotient rule, just the standard rule for differentiating powers. -1 -1 = -2, gives us -1*x^-2, but it was -1/x so we get +5*x^-2

the one is the derivative of x.

Thanks also. :) I'm confused though. I get how the x in x-5x^-1 turns to 1, but how do you differentiate the -5x^-1? It's the one bit that's really confusing me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Omg lads I know it was wrong and whatever but I had to use the quotient rule in my TY maths test yesterday!!
    Like Im nearly certain I did it wrong, but like, I feel so old just about understanding these leaving cert sums...
    Crazy!

/pointless contribution

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks also. :) I'm confused though. I get how the x in x-5x^-1 turns to 1, but how do you differentiate the -5x^-1? It's the one bit that's really confusing me!

sorry, I actually explained it really poorly =(

so the rule involved is x^a (differentiates to) -> a*x^(a-1)

in this case we have - 5*x^-1, the -5 is just a constant so can be ignored throughout the differentiation, a is -1, so a-1 = -2 so we get...

-5 * -1 * x^-2 = +5 * x^-2

hopefully that makes sense

sorry, I actually explained it really poorly =(

so the rule involved is x^a (differentiates to) -> a*x^(a-1)

in this case we have - 5*x^-1, the -5 is just a constant so can be ignored throughout the differentiation, a is -1, so a-1 = -2 so we get...

-5 * -1 * x^-2 = +5 * x^-2

hopefully that makes sense

Thanks a million! :D

When differentiating powers is it always (a-1) yeah? :)

Thanks a million! :D

When differentiating powers is it always (a-1) yeah? :)

yep, that's the rule, it's in the tables on the differentiation page. I know the tables have changed, but it's still in there, it just seems all weird to me (old) =P

Basically, if you can learn to read and then apply the rules from the tables, you've got a pass at the very least =)

yep, that's the rule, it's in the tables on the differentiation page. I know the tables have changed, but it's still in there, it just seems all weird to me (old) =P

Basically, if you can learn to read and then apply the rules from the tables, you've got a pass at the very least =)

I got an A in my mocks but I didn't do question 6 then, I'm just preparing it now in case a bad question comes up on anything else! Thanks a million for all your help. :)

I got an A in my mocks but I didn't do question 6 then, I'm just preparing it now in case a bad question comes up on anything else! Thanks a million for all your help. :)

good job! sounds like you'll do fine. When I said pass I meant at the very very least and it's 4 years since I did my leaving so I don't know stuff any more anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

The... GENIUS THREAD??
    HTF did I miss this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The... GENIUS THREAD??
    HTF did I miss this :eek:

FarSide--gifted_school.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Im giving maths grinds to an LC and before me she had never heard of BOMDAS before me..WTF like! That's the foundation of everything i know about maths...

• Advertisement

What I don't like about Bomdas is that apart from brackets and fractions its not realistic to put the rest in order.

I presume the grinds were for OL, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Im giving maths grinds to an LC and before me she had never heard of BOMDAS before me..WTF like! That's the foundation of everything i know about maths...

Wow, that's pretty impressive o_o. I'm surprised you can go that long without at least encountering it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

What I don't like about Bomdas is that apart from brackets and fractions its not realistic to put the rest in order.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I've never heard of BOMDAS :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.
    The order in which you take different parts of a sum.

Brackets.
    anything to the power Of.
    Multiplication.
    Division.
    Addition.
    Subtraction.

BOMDAS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I could never work out what the O stood for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Isn't there also BIRDMAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I always knew it (as in I knew the order of priority!), but never as an acronym!

Noel, have a look here, it's an acronym for the order in which operations (like addition, multiplication etc) should take place.

EDIT: Also, a lot of people seem to have issues with the acronym as it seems to imply that Multiplication and Division are of a different priority (they're equally important, you just go left to right across whatever you're working out. Addition/Subtraction are similar, but of lower priority than M/D).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The order in which you take different parts of a sum.
    I know what BOMDAS is, I just don't understand what they mean by it being unrealistic to put them in order.
    Lawliet wrote: »
    I could never work out what the O stood for
    Order.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, a lot of people seem to have issues with the acronym as it seems to imply that Multiplication and Division are of a different priority (they're equally important, you just go left to right across whatever you're working out. Addition/Subtraction are similar, but of lower priority than M/D).
    What I meant :)

Advertisement