Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Maybe all your pixels are dying.. :( that happened to mine and I had to get a new one grr

I'm frantically backing up stuff...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Just copy your home folder somewhere safe really like

Just copy your home folder somewhere safe really like

Like...? :p

Like...? :p

like.

like.

-_- Did you mean a memory card or something? I can't find one so I'm just carrying on an online backup I started a while ago..

• Advertisement

That'll take days! (for me at least, I get 80KB/s upload :o)
    Unless you only have a few documents.
    I'd backup it to an external hard drive! A large Memory card could be big enough too...

That'll take days! (for me at least, I get 80KB/s upload :o)
    Unless you only have a few documents.
    I'd backup it to an external hard drive! A large Memory card could be big enough too...

*sigh* Don't have access to either at the moment :(

Its mainly photos, most of them are on facebook, either private or public, so I *sorta* have them backed up that way. Started backing them up online a few weeks ago, but ya, its taking forever. Only have about a quarter of them up.

How many Gigabytes?
    Don't you have a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Oh hai computer genii. My laptop screen is flashing every time I click something, every few letters I type, and when I scroll down on pages etc. What's wrong? :(

What programs did you uninstall last night out of interest? And did this happen before then?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    What programs did you uninstall last night out of interest? And did this happen before then?

Hahaha I knew someone would bring that up :P Ya, this has been going on about 2 days. Its getting more frequent though. The stuff I uninstalled last night I checked beforehand with the person who had installed them there in the first place so they were grand to get rid of.

I could check with my dad who worked in the aul computer fixy business for years, but tbh, I don't trust my laptop and entire boards etc history with anyone :pac:

Edit: Dad had some super speedy automatic backup thingy. Woo! Although now all my files will be sitting on a device in the house. When I'm not here. Hmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 esbo

Oh hai computer genii. My laptop screen is flashing every time I click something, every few letters I type, and when I scroll down on pages etc. What's wrong? :(

320696.jpg

That's not a great explanation of the problem, is your whole screen flashing?
    Or is it just the window?
    Sound like the whole screen from the way you describe it.

And how exactly does it flash?

Does it flash once when you click a key?

I would try booting up in safe mode and seeing if that clears the problem.

Also does it happen outside windows? Ie when you first boot up you get some options before you go into windows, you could try going into the bios (don't change anything or save and changes if you accidently do).

When a key is pressed it generates an interrupt, same goes for scroll, maybe that is interfering with the screen.

Could possibly be a virus, possibly a (badly written) keyboard logger (just a guess). So I would virus scan. The virus would probably not work in safe mode, but it not working in safe mode don't mean it is a virus.

You could also try downloading Linux and burning to a disk and seeing if that has the same problem, but that's a fair bit of work.

I would try some virus scans, also hijackthis and such like, but be careful as some anti virus stuff you can download can be a kind of virus so get any stuff from a well know legit site.

Like this one:-

http://download.cnet.com/windows/security-software/?tag=rb_content;main

But it may just be a corrupted table which controls the screen attributes in the browser. Does it happen in other browsers? As I said your explaination ain't reallly very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Thanks for all the info esbo :) I got it sorted a few days ago and have everything backed up anyway just in case.

What it'd be worth doing is keeping all your files in your Dropbox folder. This is what I do, I have my Video, Music, Pictures and Documents folder linked into the folder. It works seamlessly (at least in Ubuntu) and you'd only notice by the little shortcut arrow on the folders :)

This way your stuff is always being backed up, and you can access the files everywhere too!

eh, actually do you have Dropbox? :p If you dont you could sign up using my refferal :L

What it'd be worth doing is keeping all your files in your Dropbox folder. This is what I do, I have my Video, Music, Pictures and Documents folder linked into the folder. It works seamlessly (at least in Ubuntu) and you'd only notice by the little shortcut arrow on the folders :)
    Works the same in windows. Only thing is that a recent change of TOS means that dropbox can apparently access (legally) all of the files you upload. There was a thread in the photography forum recently saying that dropbox have the right to use any photos you upload at their own discretion from Sept 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

:pac:

I put the wrong BIOS password in and now it won't turn on!

Have to open up the computer now,anyone know what i'm looking for in there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

It's ok it's fixed!

did you do as I said? :rolleyes:

did you do as I said? :rolleyes:

I just left it and tried it this morning :pac:

I still don't know the BIOS password and have tried to crack it but it's not working.

• Advertisement

Your welcome. I only saved you about €50 :rolleyes:

Just hold F10/12 at boot instead of going to the BIOS if its locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Is ubuntu quicker than Windows?

If so.. should I install it?

Yeah it should be. Crashes less too. At least for me. And its pretty

Yeah it should be. Crashes less too. At least for me. And its pretty

Would I still be able to use iTunes/MS word/connect my cameras/phone, etc, and use wifi though? I hear sometimes they get messed up

You cant use iTunes. There are alternatives for everything. You can run most windows apps through WINE too. Like Google Earth or Picasa for example

My phone, camera, PS3EYE, etc all work fine

Ubuntu is awesome. I deleted my Windows last night

*decides not to use ubuntu, I need my iTunes*

*decides not to use ubuntu, I need my iTunes*

You can run windows as well as Ubuntu and just use Windows for iTunes and stuff that's not on Ubuntu.

Rhythmbox, which comes with Ubuntu, is basically a quicker iTunes. It does the job for music, anyway. If you want apps and all that, there are other options for Linux too.

• Advertisement

Is ubuntu quicker than Windows?

If so.. should I install it?
    With ubuntu, I get from power button press to boards.ie in 38 seconds.

While it is fairly idiot-proof stuff can go wrong. Read up on it before you do anything, calculate the risks and then decide yourself.
    Would I still be able to use iTunes/MS word/connect my cameras/phone, etc, and use wifi though? I hear sometimes they get messed up
    There is an alternative program for nearly everything on ubuntu, but I still kept windows as well for when I want windows-based programs.

About wifi, it all depends on your laptop hardware. Most laptops are supported out of the box, but others need tweaking to get to run right. Wifi not working is one of the more common problems that occurs on install.
    Rhythmbox, which comes with Ubuntu, is basically a quicker iTunes. It does the job for music, anyway. If you want apps and all that, there are other options for Linux too.
    I love Rhythmbox, its just tidier and way less bulky than any other comparable software.

Advertisement