Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I always knew it (as in I knew the order of priority!), but never as an acronym!

Noel, have a look here, it's an acronym for the order in which operations (like addition, multiplication etc) should take place.

EDIT: Also, a lot of people seem to have issues with the acronym as it seems to imply that Multiplication and Division are of a different priority (they're equally important, you just go left to right across whatever you're working out. Addition/Subtraction are similar, but of lower priority than M/D).

Ooh, I've never heard of that before.. :confused:

I always just assumed you do the multiplication/division first..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Use BOMA, thus ending the problem once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A friend of mine has gone mad into investing in stocks. Hes showing me his method now. This'll be me in a months time...

Gordon_Gekko.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone looking to start a pension fund should lob into Petronas and Petrobras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

amacachi wrote: »
    Anyone looking to start a pension fund should lob into Petronas and Petrobras.

Maybe invest in Libya when everything calms down. It's a goldmine. Bit of a mad idea but could well work.

• Advertisement

No no no! I tell you, Asias economy has nowhere to go but up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

flyswatter wrote: »
    Maybe invest in Libya when everything calms down. It's a goldmine. Bit of a mad idea but could well work.
    If I had money I'd have been buying BP stocks a while back, couldn't understand their price collapse. Your idea would be good if there was a way to know what companies will be getting contracts later.
    No no no! I tell you, Asias economy has nowhere to go but up!
    Petronas is Malaysian, Petrobras is Brazilian, both are close to huge and growing markets. Short-term I'd be pushing into them and in a while move to the older oil companies.

Economics and finance in general is quack witch doctor magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I don't think the specifics matter, as TV always tells us, get-rich-quick schemes always work, and any incompetence in implementing them just makes it more hilarious, not less effective.

In particular the stock market is guaranteed money, who ever heard of the price of stock falling?

Never mind stock, property is a safe bet!

• Advertisement

Sooo.. for any Mathsy people who may be here before 2ish.. >_>

Let u = 4+3i and w= 6-8i

Find the value of the real number k such that | u |= k | w |

Now I assumed | | = Square root?

But in the solution it goes:

| 4 + 3i | = k | 6 - 8i |

-> Square Root of 16 + 9 = k by square root of 36 + 64

Does that mean that | | means get rid of the imaginary numbers, square the number, and then square root the sum? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Sooo.. for any Mathsy people who may be here before 2ish.. >_>

Let u = 4+3i and w= 6-8i

Find the value of the real number k such that | u |= k | w |

Now I assumed | | = Square root?

But in the solution it goes:

| 4 + 3i | = k | 6 - 8i |

-> Square Root of 16 + 9 = k by square root of 36 + 64

Does that mean that | | means get rid of the imaginary numbers, square the number, and then square root the sum? :confused:

the absolute value, magnitude or modulus of an imaginary number denoted by || is the square root of the sums of the parts squared.

More simply, think of complex numbers geometrically with the imaginary axis where you might normally see the y axis (i.e., vertical), now the magnitude is simply the distance from the origin to the point in question, apply pythagoras' theorem and you're there =)

cocoa wrote: »
    the absolute value, magnitude or modulus of an imaginary number denoted by || is the square root of the sums of the parts squared.

More simply, think of complex numbers geometrically with the imaginary axis where you might normally see the y axis (i.e., vertical), now the magnitude is simply the distance from the origin to the point in question, apply pythagoras' theorem and you're there =)

Oooh thank you :)

I hope it doesn't come up, it was up last year so it seems unlikely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

For any maths people i need help D:

It says Solve for X the equation

(8^1/3)(4^1/4)=2^5-x

The ^ means to the power of..
    Any help would be appreciated :D

marko93 wrote: »
    For any maths people i need help D:

It says Solve for X the equation

(8^1/3)(4^1/4)=2^5-x

The ^ means to the power of..
    Any help would be appreciated :D

(8^1/3)(4^1/4)=2^5-x

(2^3.1/3)(2^2.1/4) = 2^5-x

(3 x 1/3) x (2 x 1/4) = 5 - x

I think it's something like that? :)

I probably did it wrong, but I know you have to get them to common bases, then the powers become addition/subtraction

EDIT: What year in the exam papers is it?

(8^1/3)(4^1/4)=2^5-x

(2^3.1/3)(2^2.1/4) = 2^5-x

(3 x 1/3) x (2 x 1/4) = 5 - x

I think it's something like that? :)

I probably did it wrong, but I know you have to get them to common bases, then the powers become addition/subtraction
    I dont understand how to break down the numbers and fractions to get what i need D:

I dont understand how to break down the numbers and fractions to get what i need D:

What year in the exam papers is it and I'll take a look at my hardback?

It's OL... :/

It's OL... :/

I am OL :P

I am OL :P
    WIN :D
    ehmmm, 2004 Q2 C(iii)

• Advertisement

Is it 2^(5-x) or 2^5-x = 32-x ?

If it's the former, you evaluate the left hand side to get 2^(3/2)

You get 2^(5-x) = 2^(3/2)

So 5-x = 3/2, solve for x.

For evaluating the left hand side:
    8^(1/3) means the cube root of 8, i.e. the positive number y such that y^3 = 8, which is 2. Similar case for 4^(1/4) which is the square root of the square root of 4.

Ok I never did that...

@Davidius, it's

(8^1/3)x(4^1/4) = 2^5-x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mahblah

[LATEX]

8^{\frac{1}{3}}.4^{\frac{1}{4}}=2^{5-x}
    [/LATEX]

[LATEX]
    (2^{3})^{\frac{1}{3}}}.(2^{2}).^{\frac{1}{4}}}=2^{5-x}
    [/LATEX]

[LATEX]
    2^{1}.2^{\frac{1}{2}}=2^{5-x}
    [/LATEX]

[LATEX]
    2^{\frac{3}{2}}=2^{5-x}
    [/LATEX]

[LATEX]
    5-x=\frac{3}{2}
    [/LATEX]

[LATEX]
    x=\frac{7}{2}[/LATEX]

mahblah wrote: »

Legend! :)

I was close.. I got the first 2 lines right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Oh hai computer genii. My laptop screen is flashing every time I click something, every few letters I type, and when I scroll down on pages etc. What's wrong? :(

320696.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Get a good OS

Oh hai computer genii. My laptop screen is flashing every time I click something, every few letters I type, and when I scroll down on pages etc. What's wrong? :(

Mmm is it a netbook? If so the wire yoke that connects into the screen could be outta place.. Same with a laptop I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Mmm is it a netbook? If so the wire yoke that connects into the screen could be outta place.. Same with a laptop I suppose..

Nope, its a laptop. Its strange, its not always the full screen, at the moment the forums bar across the top is flashing on and off and so is this line of text...but not the rest :confused:

Nope, its a laptop. Its strange, its not always the full screen, at the moment the forums bar across the top is flashing on and off and so is this line of text...but not the rest :confused:

Maybe all your pixels are dying.. :( that happened to mine and I had to get a new one grr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

In all serious, it sounds like a hardware problem. Backup your crap and bring it to a repair place/ buy a new one (best option :p)

Advertisement