Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car uprooted by a bollard in Dublin

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And, she done something illegal, they won't pay out.

Is there a 'duty of care' to the tresspasser? (just like putting up barbed wire on your front wall is dodgy in law due to 'duty of care' thing :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

gurramok wrote: »
    Is there a 'duty of care' to the tresspasser? (just like putting up barbed wire on your front wall is dodgy in law due to 'duty of care' thing :))
    Of course there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And, she done something illegal, they won't pay out.

Assuming she is Full Comp, they will pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What happens if you are driving a private bus/coach. You won't have a remote to operate the bollard. 40 plus people in said bus/coach, no seatbelts, many soft tissue injuries :rolleyes: and the bus/coach driver is completely in the right as the signs say bus only and do not mention anything about a rising bollard that we may presume needs a remote to operate it. If it was my business park I'd pay her off quick and get rid of the bollard before the above scenario happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

IS BUS LANE ONLY NOT FAIR WARNING?!!!!!!!!!!

NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I mentioned this in an earlier post. THe photos show that the ordinary driving lane turns into a bus lane. THere is no devision of the lanes prior to the bollard location and the only 'bus only' sign that I can see is the one on the road. THe bus would have been passing over this sign so obscuring it. If its a case that the bus doesnt have to stop to get by the bollard, well then I can see how any driver unfamiliar with the area would get caught following the bus for those couple of all important seconds where the bollard then does its damage. The owners of that park are totally liable imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

IS BUS LANE ONLY NOT FAIR WARNING?!!!!!!!!!!

If you accidentally drove in an indicated bus lane and a lad popped out in front of you and sledge hammered your engine out of your car and onto the ground, would you see it as fair warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why have toll barriers at all either. Wouldnt it be better if they just had an open road but if you tried to drive though without paying, they could have a massive hammer that crashes through the window. Of course they wouldnt need to mention that they had this device in place. They would just need to say 'Toll. Cameras in operation' and if you tried to go without paying by accident or on purpose, you deserved to have to head smashed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1081519_bollards_hit_fire_engine

Just go`s to show there is NO justice in life :rolleyes:

Just to return to the general principle for a sec.....

One of the area`s in Dublin where a similar rising-bollard would wreak havoc is the entrance to the Stephens Green Contra-Flow Bus Lane.
    It`s similarly marked and signed as well as having a Bus-Specific Traffic signal which many motorists regard as having no meaning at all or perhaps meaning the direct opposite to what it says.

I`m beyond counting now the numbers of Mororists I have watched either following a bus or nipping in front of a bus at the BUs Lane entrance only to clatter into another motorist emerging from Hume St who`s gaze is focused in the opposite direction.....happens continually....traffic emerging from Hume St,ignores both STOP sign and STOP line and the inevitable occurs.

It`s not generally accepted in Irish driving as yet that all them oul signs actually do have a relevance to the individual.....Learning is a slow process and not without a certain pain...

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kat1170 wrote: »
    What happens if you are driving a private bus/coach. You won't have a remote to operate the bollard. 40 plus people in said bus/coach, no seatbelts, many soft tissue injuries :rolleyes: and the bus/coach driver is completely in the right as the signs say bus only and do not mention anything about a rising bollard that we may presume needs a remote to operate it. If it was my business park I'd pay her off quick and get rid of the bollard before the above scenario happens.

There is a private bus going through there every day. Been in it myself a few times.
    I dont know what that bint was thinking but the times i got through with the bus, the bus has to come to a complete standstill before it can go.

Pure speculation of course but i can see moblie phones and lipstick being applied. Because if you miss all those signs and a that a bus had to stop before going through the gate, you clearly arent paying attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Of course there is.

What is it? Has it been breached?Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

some of the opinons being spouted here are stomach churning in their stupidity. If I struck a child outside a school, would the child be liable for the damage to the car? oh wait let me see, was there a sign up saying children crossing? no? well off you go sue that brazen child.

what is this nonsense about roads not being expected to have bollards in them? of course roads arent expected to have bollards in them, bus lanes aren't expected to have cars in them. Roads aren't generally expected to have anything other than tarmac in them and other roads users on them. Thats why you drive with DUE CARE AND ATTENTION

If i have a green light and theres a car blocking the junction in front of me is it ok for me to drive into the car? Durr, well the light was green so the signs were there for me to go so it must have been ok right?

honestly, stop being so F"cking retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

questioner wrote: »
    some of the opinons being spouted here are stomach churning in their stupidity. If I struck a child outside a school, would the child be liable for the damage to the car? oh wait let me see, was there a sign up saying children crossing? no? well off you go sue that brazen child.

Child = bollard. Yes, that analogy is clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

questioner wrote: »

Well if the child popped up from a manhole under the road.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This thread is spinning around in circles and going nowhere so no point in continuing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement