Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car uprooted by a bollard in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

vibe666 wrote: »

if i make the speed limit through the whole place 5km/h can i enforce those limits and if so, how?

i'm not trying to be argumentative, i honestly don't know so i'm asking if anyone actually does.

The answer to that is no. Speed limits can only be set by the councils/NRA. And 30km/hr is the lowest speed limit that anyone can legally set.

The only legal speed limits are 30km/hr, 50km/hr, 60km/hr, 80km/hr, 100km/hr and 120km/hr. If you see a sign saying anything else, then it's not enforceable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

sesna wrote: »
    Ha ha brilliant, Im having a great laugh at the lady who ruined her brand new BMW. Serves her right.
    Right back to wondering how Im ever going to flog my 13 year old corolla...

Bet the ruined BMW is worth more than the Corolla!!

Anyway, if I'm thinking of the correct place, that bollard/"bus lane" is largely redundant now anyway? When Ballycoolin Road was undergoing roadworks, Dublin Bus were allowed take a shortcut through Stadium Business park and cars were restricted in order to prevent the estates from being overrun with ratrunning commuters. Now that the roadworks are finished, there wouldn't be much advantage to someone trying to use the bus shortcut unless they got lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Perhaps madam could find something here:

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/dynamic.php?lang=&id_menu=143
    So I guess we can see management of this bus corridore company snooping around Merlin Motor auction next week for a replacement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Good spot, now if only the BMW drivers eyesight was as good

Head The Wall might be on the ball here....

Lookin closely at the Blanch BeeMmm it can be seen that the Bollard did not actually rise up benerath the vehicle.

Judging from the damage to the BMW,the front panel,crossmember,grille all took the initial brunt of the damage which points to the car being driven AT the barrier by a driver perhaps distracted by other items,which may well have also distracted their attention from all the signage.

The UK video footage tends to show the bollards rising directly underneath the cars at a much greater speed that the Blanch one.

I would be surprised if any solution other than a claim on the BMW owners Comprehensive policy was the outcome...the alternative will be a VERY lengthy legal process indeed with no guarantee of success at the end of it all.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Head The Wall might be on the ball here....

Lookin closely at the Blanch BeeMmm it can be seen that the Bollard did not actually rise up benerath the vehicle.

Judging from the damage to the BMW,the front panel,crossmember,grille all took the initial brunt of the damage which points to the car being driven AT the barrier by a driver perhaps distracted by other items,which may well have also distracted their attention from all the signage.

The UK video footage tends to show the bollards rising directly underneath the cars at a much greater speed that the Blanch one.

I would be surprised if any solution other than a claim on the BMW owners Comprehensive policy was the outcome...the alternative will be a VERY lengthy legal process indeed with no guarantee of success at the end of it all.
    Did you look at the picture and the video?

The visible damage to the front of the BMW only extends to about 10 inches off the ground. The bollard rises to about 36-40" judging by pictures and video, and does so in about 3.5 seconds.

How do you work out BMW driver being able to see the bollard and driving into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Stark wrote: »
    Anyway, if I'm thinking of the correct place, that bollard/"bus lane" is largely redundant now anyway? When Ballycoolin Road was undergoing roadworks, Dublin Bus were allowed take a shortcut through Stadium Business park and cars were restricted in order to prevent the estates from being overrun with ratrunning commuters. Now that the roadworks are finished, there wouldn't be much advantage to someone trying to use the bus shortcut unless they got lost.
    the roadworks are far from finished, the main entrance to Ballycoolin is still all over the place, I couldn't even drive down the snugboro road on Thursday to get to blanch as it was one way only and the little AM only entrance to the business park next to the IBM building is still being used as an exit in the PM as well with temporary lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Tragedy wrote: »
    Did you look at the picture and the video?

The visible damage to the front of the BMW only extends to about 10 inches off the ground. The bollard rises to about 36-40" judging by pictures and video, and does so in about 3.5 seconds.

How do you work out BMW driver being able to see the bollard and driving into it?
    I'd say she was following the bus at about 10 meters behind let's say. The bus would have passed over the bollard, then I'd say the bollard would be systematically told to come back up, once the bus was out of range. The woman, I'd say, would have thought it'd come up later, but with the delayed process, the bollard would have came up after a few seconds. I reckon she hit it after a second into the mechanical process, which clearly had enough force to stop the car dead on, causing inward buckling of the wheels, and frontal damage. As she was clearly stopped in her tracks, the bollard would have continued upwards to it's final point.

That enough for you? :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    the roadworks are far from finished, the main entrance to Ballycoolin is still all over the place, I couldn't even drive down the snugboro road on Thursday to get to blanch as it was one way only and the little AM only entrance to the business park next to the IBM building is still being used as an exit in the PM as well with temporary lights.

Well the old Dublin Bus shortcut through Stadium business park isn't going to help you there, you still have to contend with the Snugborough road roadworks whether you go that way or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

wouldnt the bus have to stop while the bollard went down, most videos i have seen of them show that

common sense should have made her think there was somethin there if the bus had stopped

imo its tough luck she didnt bother takin notice of the signs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I hope she challenges this ... these bollards are bloody dangerous ... it's one thing to put up a sign prohibiting entry to an area and enforcing it with barriers (the signs do not indicate the existence of these rams). It's entirely another issue when the methods used damage property and may even threaten the lives of passengers in the vehicles.

The barriers used to block the entrance to Dail Eireann would be far safer than those rams.

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    I hope she challenges this

SD
    How can she challenge it if it clearly says busses only, and a huge sign saying bus gate camera?

It's one thing to say to someone - halt no entry - fair enough - but to put up a sign saying - halt no entry - and forget the - or we'll total your car - just isn't on. They're well within their rights to bar her entry to the property - I doubt that extends to totalling her car though.

SD

It's one thing to say to someone - halt no entry - fair enough - but to put up a sign saying - halt no entry - and forget the - or we'll total your car - just isn't on. They're well within their rights to bar her entry to the property - I doubt that extends to totalling her car though.

SD
    They didn't total her car, technically she did it by choice :rolleyes:

Or else, a consequence of her breaking the law, so in reality she should gather a couple points and a fine IMO.

Yes, but was she aware of the pneumatic ram? There are no signs indicating it's existence. Plenty of signs going on about cameras.

SD

Yes, but was she aware of the pneumatic ram? There are no signs indicating it's existence. Plenty of signs going on about cameras.

SD
    Plenty of warning about it being a bus only lane though!

Great - plenty of signs about it being a bus lane - yes - there are no signs saying - watch it - we'll wreak your car! If you decide to follow a bus.

God help these people who operate these barriers if someone gets killed or injured.

SD

Great - plenty of signs about it being a bus lane - yes - there are no signs saying - watch it - we'll wreak your car! If you decide to follow a bus.

SD
    Are you actually that naive?

SHE SHOULDNT HAVE FOLLOWED THE DAMN BUS!

Naieve? LOL Whether she decided to follow the bus or not isn't the issue. She should have been given fair warning. She wasn't.

SD

Naieve? LOL Whether she decided to follow the bus or not isn't the issue. She should have been given fair warning. She wasn't.

SD
    JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

IS BUS LANE ONLY NOT FAIR WARNING?!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What if there was no bollard? What if the bus driver stopped instead, got out and started smashing the car up with a sledgehammer?

Is ''but you shouldn't have been here in the first place'' a valid excuse?

What if there was no bollard? What if the bus driver stopped instead, got out and started smashing the car up with a sledgehammer?

Is ''but you shouldn't have been here in the first place'' a valid excuse?
    There's no law broken there, so it isn't the same.

No - Bus Lane Only and BTW we'll total your car - is fair warning - a person would usually expect a fine or other penalty for using a bus lane when they shouldn't. Having a bloody big ram rise out of the ground wouldn't be top of the list of penalties.

SD

No - Bus Lane Only and BTW we'll total your car - is fair warning - a person would usually expect a fine or other penalty for using a bus lane when they shouldn't. Having a bloody big ram rise out of the ground wouldn't be top of the list of penalties.

SD
    If you break a rule, you deserve punishment, she got hers, understand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's no law broken there, so it isn't the same.
    Huh? But it's bus lane only? What's the difference?

If you break a rule, you deserve punishment, she got hers, understand?

LMAO - now that is funny

SD

LMAO - now that is funny

SD
    Care to tell me why?

:rolleyes: Not really ... to my mind the operators of that ram need to put up better signage ... and again I hope she has a chat with a solicitor about sueing them for damage to her car.

SD

:rolleyes: Not really ... to my mind the operators of that ram need to put up better signage ... and again I hope she has a chat with a solicitor about sueing them for damage to her car.

SD
    So there's no reason to laugh (Y)

Good logic ;)

And, she done something illegal, they won't pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tbh, this thread is really starting to piss me off at this stage. Firstly, why would the op give a thumbs up in the thread title? I don't find it amusing at all seeing an expensive car badly damaged/possibly written off.

My thumbs up was not at been overjoyed at a car been wrecked but managing to get the pic under harassment from the security guards.

My view on the whole thing is that it is an extreme punishment for breaking the rules of the road and unless you knew the area, there is no way of knowing a bollard would rise up out of the ground if you were following a bus at close proximity and as said, there is not a single sign saying that the bollard is in place.

Is it possible for that car going on fire as a result of the bollard hitting/uprooting it? (thats very serious if so)

Also Stark, that road is between Ballycoolin Estate and Blanchardstown Corporate Park. The incident happened at the Blanchardstown Corporate Park end. Nothing to do with Stadium Business Park. Its a permanent road for buses only

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement