Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car uprooted by a bollard in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

JHMEG wrote: »
    Those yokes are dangerous and should be banned. A few law suits will make sure they are.

Beemers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you look closely at the two front wheels, you can see that they are both pointing inwards. ouch! :eek:

and it's a 09 reg (I've seen the original ;)) so someone is going to have arather painful call to the insurance company.

not even sure if they'd cover something like that, even if they swore blind they didn't see the signs.

The insurance would have to cover it. The whole point of having insurance is for when you make a stupid mistake.

She might have a case against the business park. I'm sure the legality of those things would be fairly dubious, especially when privately installed. (Not that I didn't gloat a little when I saw the picture).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I see a signpost about the gate being bus only and a picture implying there is some sort of camera there. I don't see a sign about an automatic raising bollard that'll write off your car though.

Are those auto-raising bollards even legal? Seem pretty dangerous to me, just because I break the law in my vehicle doesn't give anybody the right to cause it damage.

<3 these bollards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sign States "bus gate enforcement cameras", there is nothing about automated rising bollards. ..... I would suggest a good solicitor.

Mmmm - could be down to semantics tbh....it's 'you' who's calling it a bollard. That object may be a Bus gate. Potato's/Potatoes.........Solicitor ? waste of time.......
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Those yokes are dangerous and should be banned. A few law suits will make sure they are.

At least barriers that raise and lower are visible.

They are dangerous, when ignored. It does raise/lower, and is highly visible to me........;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

haha i was there the other day and wondered if someone would ever get stuck! haha fookin idiot deserved what she got!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stark wrote: »
    .... I'm sure the legality of those things would be fairly dubious, especially when privately installed....
    ....not a hope, they're widely used by local authorities already. Galway City Council has them in......5 different streets iirc...........been there for years.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if there's a camera on top of the bollard i'd say they're covered. :D

it's actually HERE anyway.

it's just grass in the pic, but te line that goes from the top to the bottom of the map there is now a bus shortcut.

i was actually looking forward to them finishing it as it would cut 10 minutes off my journey home to cut through there, then they went and made it buses only. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

galwaytt wrote: »
    It does raise/lower, and is highly visible to me........;)

Only when it's up. She could have seen the bus and followed it out, there's no denying that every single person here would take a short cut like that. If you know that area you'll be aware that the alternative can be fairly long depending where you want to go.

There's no signs indicating a raising bollard and she probably wasn't aware there was one there. I think she does have a reasonable case against the management of the estate

I don't think all the usuals saying she's a fookin idiot and deserves it are correct and are a bit hasty in their comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As amusing as I find it, there are no signs about the bollard, I'd be taking a trip to my solicitor if I were her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

galwaytt wrote: »
    Mmmm - could be down to semantics tbh....it's 'you' who's calling it a bollard. That object may be a Bus gate. Potato's/Potatoes.........Solicitor ? waste of time.......
    College Green "Bus gate" dosen't have any of these. "Bus gate" referes to a bus only route and not the device used to block traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

im glad you ignored the requests to delete your photo...you have every right to phot anything in a public place with the possible exception of anything affecting national security

she wont get any satisfaction going to law...it is quite clear that that exit is for buses only....did someone say its on a private estate? the Gards wont be interseted if so.

PS they are in Oliver Plunket St Cork too...

Doesn't matter that is says it bus only I would imagine, there's no warning what so ever of any type of physical barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Jip wrote: »
    Only when it's up. She could have seen the bus and followed it out, there's no denying that every single person here would take a short cut like that. If you know that area you'll be aware that the alternative can be fairly long depending where you want to go.

There's no signs indicating a raising bollard and she probably wasn't aware there was one there. I think she does have a reasonable case against the management of the estate

I don't think all the usuals saying she's a fookin idiot and deserves it are correct and are a bit hasty in their comments.

I agree. Getting a ticket is one thing, having your (expensive) car destroyed is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

corktina wrote: »
    im glad you ignored the requests to delete your photo...you have every right to phot anything in a public place with the possible exception of anything affecting national security

I'd have thought that it was the security guards being not happy with their picture being taken rather than the car

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If she was so far up the buses arse that she didn't see the bollard, I doubt that she would have seen any signs...

Also, I'd say she has no case. To the right of the 2nd picture is a no entry sign, as well as a "bus only" sign written on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Doesn't matter that is says it bus only I would imagine, there's no warning what so ever of any type of physical barrier.

are you sure

there is no entry sign on the right at the railings wiht some text underneath and also some signs at the railings on the left with text I cannot make out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Pedestrian gets hit in the middle of the road - they shouldn't be there but if you smack 'em it's your fault.

If I pull into a bus lane I'm liable to get a ticket for breaking the law. I'm not liable to have my car totalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, I'd say she has no case. To the right of the 2nd picture is a no entry sign, as well as a "bus only" sign written on the road.

So then next time that you nip into a bus lane early to turn left you have no issues with some warden coming over and writing off your car as you shouldnt have been there and there are signs?

If it was your first time in the area and you were within 5-10 feet of a bus (thats probably doing 30k max) you could easily not see any of these signs. Besides, as mentioned a million times already, there is no sign to warn you that "trespassers will be destroyed from beneath".

Would you not have a legal liability to warn people of possible damage for disobeying the sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Why is there such force used in raising the bollard? The ones in Galway raise slowly and if there is any heavy resistance they fall again.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would you not have a legal liability to warn people of possible damage for disobeying the sign?
    I would say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would say that whether the driver was right or wrong is irrelevant here.

Although there was signage about the bus lane, there was no signage about the mechanical barrier. The private management company may well be liable here.

Funny how the opinion is that signs saying cars parked at owners risk don't mean a thing but now all of a sudden they're gospel and the woman is completely to blame. Next time a thread starts about a car being damaged in a carpark i expect all the same people to tell the owner that's his or her fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Found an earlier vid of the bollard rising so it will give you an idea at the speed at which it rises. Vid is only 4 seconds long so play it on go slow to get the picture :)

From an earlier observation, I reckon its a 3-5second gap between when the bus passes and when the bollard starts rising. Also you can see the bus that just passed in the distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

GreeBo wrote: »

You mean like an obligatory "Train will smash your car" at a level crossing sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I find it very hard to have sympathy for someone who'e either not been paying enough attention or chancing their arm with ignoring the 4 foot lettering on the road and the no-through-traffic except buses and cycles signs on each side of the road.

Those bollards don't exactly shoot up out of the road so she must have been right on the busses hole (another driving offence there - tailgating).

Failing to see why anyone other than the driver is to blame here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

nipplenuts wrote: »
    You mean like an obligatory "Train will smash your car" at a level crossing sign?

Bit different from drive in the bus lane and have your car written off. Hell you might even end up with the gearbox on your lap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Top Dog wrote: »
    I find it very hard to have sympathy for someone who'e either not been paying enough attention or chancing their arm with ignoring the 4 foot lettering on the road and the no-through-traffic except buses and cycles signs on each side of the road.

Those bollards don't exactly shoot up out of the road so she must have been right on the busses hole (another driving offence there - tailgating).

Failing to see why anyone other than the driver is to blame here.

That doesn't make sense. They take a while to go up so she was probably well behing the bus. Look at the video.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement