Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moneybookers PrePaid MasterCard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

AntiRip wrote: »

Oh for flip sake!

I wonder if they charge an admin charge on gift vouchers, I wonder would that be another way to avoid that dam charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Has anyone successfully applied for one of these cards? I've tried twice and when you proceed to order the card at the end seems to crash and refuse the application and return to the first page.
    Not sure I can be bothered with this anymore. Think I'll just start flying Aer Lingus after 1st March! :rolleyes:

Have tried 4 times to buy one of these cards, each time the site crashes at the very end!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Squaredude wrote: »
    Anyone having problems using this card with netflix?

They do a authorization for 1.50 eur when you register for NetFlix with you cc or prepaid card.
    It is released couple of days later.

Happened to me.

Tried again today and finally managed to successfully order one of the Ryanair prepaid cards.
    Tried IE, Firefox, Chrome with no success. Tried Opera and it worked.
    Also used a different email address than I usually use with Ryanair.

It's a real ordeal trying to get hold of one of these cards with barrier after barrier placed in our ways to avoid getting one of these cards, which after 1st March will be the only way of avoiding the EUR6 each way admin charge.

Now Have to hope it arrives, then have to ring a number to activate it, then have to register it with Ryanair and then try booking a flight with it! CRAZY!! But they are not getting this admin charge out of me no matter how hard they try to make it!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Tried again today and finally managed to successfully order one of the Ryanair prepaid cards.

It's a real ordeal trying to get hold of one of these cards with barrier after barrier placed in our ways to avoid getting one of these cards, which after 1st March will be the only way of avoiding the EUR6 each way admin charge.

Now Have to hope it arrives, then have to ring a number to activate it, then have to register it with Ryanair and then try booking a flight with it! CRAZY!! But they are not getting this admin charge out of me no matter how hard they try to make it!! :rolleyes:

Are you aware of the possible hidden charges associated with that card?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm aware of the charges.

I usually fly Ryanair at least once a month so the card will be used plenty so the non usage fee won't apply.

I won't be using it to withdraw cash.

I know they charge EUR3 to load money onto the card but I won't keep loading small amounts onto it to avoid having to keep paying that.

I'll make sure there's always a small balance on it to make sure it doesn't go into negative balance.

I had to pay EUR10 to apply for the card but will receive a EUR10 Ryanair voucher with the card.

There is no other way to avoid the EUR6 each way charge after 1st March. If you fly regularly or with a family that all adds up! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Squaredude wrote: »
    Anyone having problems using this card with netflix?

Wouldn't work for me last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Wouldn't work for me last night.

i'm also having issues updating details to my new MB card .... My mastercard has been cancelled, so looks like i cant get netflix now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

peepingtom wrote: »
    i'm also having issues updating details to my new MB card .... My mastercard has been cancelled, so looks like i cant get netflix now

My Moneybookers card worked fine when i signed up, but dont work anymore when renewing the Netflix membership.

Called them, and they told that its an unreliable card in unreliable platform and they dnt support it. Told them that it works perfectly fine elsewhere.. got nowhere, so i cancelled my Netflix account.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mikg

it seems that trying to save admin fees on Ryanair bookings is turning into a game of continuous cat & mouse with Micko changing the fee-free payment option as often as he changes his ...

anyway, as the Ryanair Cash Passport will be the only way of avoiding admin fees after 1st March here's the 'user manual' for the card ... ;P

(Summary: Ryanair gets its 'fees' one way or another)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

re - moneybookers & netflix
    worked for the free trial and now for my first months renewal automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Tried to book flights with ryanair using moneybookers card today but it wouldn’t let me. Should it not work up till end of month??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Random wrote: »
    re - moneybookers & netflix
    worked for the free trial and now for my first months renewal automatically.

It wouldnt take mine. It was saying something about the address on the card being incorrect. I put in every variation of the address on the card and it wouldnt take it.

Hi Paddy,

I used mine yesterday to book flights in april no problems - saved €24 :)

things to check:

- has card been activated on the www.moneybookers.com web site?
    - is sufficient credit loaded on card to pay for flights?
    - is cardholder address in Ireland and same address used when booking?

hope it works out for you .. only another 7 days to go before these cards also incur the Ryanair rip-off 'admin' charges :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delicate100

Hi everyone

Can you believe that you can only get an ryanair cash passport if you are the holder of an Irish passport!! I have a British Passport but have been resident in Ireland for 12 years and only have an Irish bank account etc! Have emailed them about it but haven't received a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Hi everyone

Can you believe that you can only get an ryanair cash passport if you are the holder of an Irish passport!! I have a British Passport but have been resident in Ireland for 12 years and only have an Irish bank account etc! Have emailed them about it but haven't received a reply!

I'm in the same situation as you! I'm an Irish resident but I don't have the Irish passport, please let me know what they'll tell you about it.

I think that they're doing this in order to make sure that non irish resident don't get a card, but they can easily verify this by asking for an utility bill instead of Irish passport!

Ridiculous!! especially since they already offer the 'Cash Passport' to UK residents
    Already, I'm having doubts about this latest Ryanair wheeze - would you trust them not to mis-use, give or sell on your personal information when it suits them ..??

Anyway, keep us posted on the outcome ..

have finally heard back from the issuers of the cash passports :-

At present we are only accepting applications made online from Irish residents holding an Irish passport. In order to comply with anti-money laundering regulations we are required to verify your identity and your residential address prior to processing an order, our systems can currently only accept Irish passports as a valid form of identity.

I've written back complaining and asking the question why can't they verify who I am through my UK passport.

I was under the impression that Ryanair HAD to offer an option whereby you can avoid the fees?? Anyone know if this is right? Because as of 1st March I have no way of avoiding the fees and I travel at least twice a month!

Hey delicate100,

thanks for the update, afaik, you're correct - Ryanair HAVE to provide a payment method which does not incur transaction charges when booking flights.

Your situation is not unique and I would strongly urge you to contact the CAI and/or ECC by email to highlight this unfair discrimination against you ..

If you need any help 'wording' your correspondence let me know .. ;)

Hi mikg

thanks for your advice .. I will do as you suggest and get emails sent off asap and let you know how I get on ..

in the meantime, my sister who is still in the UK is applying for one (in her name but I will be the user and I will be the one putting funds onto it which is a pain because will have to send over a bank transfer to her!) which I hope to be able to use ....

let you know how I get on :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 consum

Tried to book flights with the moneybookers card yesterday and no dice! Tried several times but it kept giving me an incorrect details entered error.
    It doesnt matter anyway as it will be unusable on the 1st but its a bit cheeky of them to roll it out days before the changeover

I guess I got lucky last week so - managed to book flights OK using my Moneybookers prepaid Mastercard & saved €24 ..

Am royally p**sed off that it will incur fees from now on though - any chance we could organise a petition/group email to send to the EU Consumers Centres Network (ECC-Net)?

Suggestions welcome! ;)

Can you not just make up a passport number? How can they check it unless they have access to passport information in the passport office (which I would imagine they don't have access to)?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

d@rk l0rd wrote: »

Just can't get this to work - even with Opera (

If you go to the basic website (www.cashpassport.com) it says its down (has been like this for days), if you try the link on the Ryanair page it just goes blank :(

It took two days to finally submit for me! :rolleyes: Such an annoying process to have to go through.

Some tips: 1: Use the calendar to enter your date of birth (don't type it in).
    2: Use a different email address to the one you usually use when booking Ryanair flights.
    3: Enter your address exactly as it is on the electoral register.
    4: Try as many different browsers as possible. Worked for me with Opera, with some others using Chrome and others using IE.
    5: Make sure you enter your passport number without any <<s

If all else fails, email them. They do reply. I think they can send you out a form to fill out. When you get it you ring a free number to register it but that only takes a few seconds and is completely automated.
    From March 1st it will be the only way to avoid the EUR6 admin fee. :rolleyes:

I've checked the website and it's working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 honeybea

I too spent all weekend trying to book a Ryanair flight...booked 2 flights early last week and had no problem.....Seems as if the 1st March has come early with Ryanair ..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ITBhoy

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have tried 6 times or more in the last week! rather frustrating to say the least, on the back of that I was on to their support desk for 30 mins, and I kid you not, they are worse than ryanair for answers, I can see why they partner, anyway I'm off to try opera, will let you know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Jaysus lads... been away for a while and have not looked at booking a Ryanair flight since late last year (when the moneybookers card worked a treat).

Are you saying that from 1 March 2012 the moneybookers prepaid mastercard will NOT save you the booking fee we were avoiding?.

And the only way to avoid it is to sign up for some Ryanair card that has loads of hidden charges/extras?.

F me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads... been away for a while and have not looked at booking a Ryanair flight since late last year (when the moneybookers card worked a treat).

Are you saying that from 1 March 2012 the moneybookers prepaid mastercard will NOT save you the booking fee we were avoiding?.

And the only way to avoid it is to sign up for some Ryanair card that has loads of hidden charges/extras?.

F me.

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

U know this after 6 month of no use crap/penalty... I guess this means you could use the card anywhere every few mths (not just booking Ryanair flights) and avoid those penalties?, does anybody know?. Seems the €3 to deposit money to it though is unavoidable.

Oh and the €10 to buy the feckin thing too of course.

And Govt stamp duty too, wow. Glorious.

Advertisement