Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building biceps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

:eek: Has transform's arms given consent???

that's why i said maybe.

I'm not sure if they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

21inchguns wrote: »
    Hmm, HGH makes your bicep split off? Ok, think about the name bicep, the clue is in the bi bit, the same way the tricep has tri in it... I would say biceps account for 40% of the arm and triceps account for the other 60%, I dont think it's tiny compared to the triceps by any means.

I find neutral grip chins the best, I do them after I have done back and really focus on using the biceps to do the work rather than the back. (I have 21" guns, I should know)

it only shows as one recognizable head though unless like a pro bodybuilder the inner head splits off pretty ****ing noticeably. your triceps are considerably bigger or at least should be and i would say a lot more than 10% over the bicep. also, if your going to follow that video about doing pull ups to get bigger biceps, you might want to train your back in the process otherwise your likely to cause injury.

at the end of the day you cant go wrong with;

wide grip
    narrow grip
    hammers
    preachers

3 sets each, done.

leave weighted pull up super sets until your back is better conditioned to cope with it. unless of course you do back and biceps in the same day and already used to it. you can also drop set any of the former for better pump

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Websters wrote: »
    it only shows as one recognizable head though unless like a pro bodybuilder the inner head splits off pretty ****ing noticeably. your triceps are considerably bigger or at least should be and i would say a lot more than 10% over the bicep. also, if your going to follow that video about doing pull ups to get bigger biceps, you might want to train your back in the process otherwise your likely to cause injury.

Couple of mistakes in posts above - your triceps take up WAY more of your arm than bis - approx two-thirds of your arm is tricep and if you look again at someone with impressive arms it's not that that they have big gunzz it's that's they have well developed triceps, biceps AND delts (shoulders)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Couple of mistakes in posts above - your triceps take up WAY more of your arm than bis - approx two-thirds of your arm is tricep and if you look again at someone with impressive arms it's not that that they have big gunzz it's that's they have well developed triceps, biceps AND delts (shoulders)
    agreed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

40% : 60% means a 20% difference between the two, not 10%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

at the end of the day you cant go wrong with;

wide grip
    narrow grip
    hammers
    preachers

3 sets each, done.

leave weighted pull up super sets until your back is better conditioned to cope with it. unless of course you do back and biceps in the same day and already used to it. you can also drop set any of the former for better pump

3 sets of each in one session? Waste of time in my opinion.

That time would be much better spent training your back and throwing in a 3 sets of one of those exercises at the end.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

3 sets of each in one session? Waste of time in my opinion.

That time would be much better spent training your back and throwing in a 3 sets of one of those exercises at the end.
    agreed - more body building BS IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Transform wrote: »
    couldn't give a sh1t about my arms as the 200kg+ deadlift tends to take care of them.

Will I get bigger biceps if I lift over 200kg in the deadlift? How long did it take you to lift over 200kg in the deadlift?

Thanks
    Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Will I get bigger biceps if I lift over 200kg in the deadlift? How long did it take you to lift over 200kg in the deadlift?

Thanks
    Keith

isnt the most important thing that you are lifting as much as you can on DL? the numbers are going to be different for everybody. im sure transform (and his arms :pac:) will answer the other part of the question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

71 posts on biceps?

heres my take on the subject, biceps grow as your squat and deadlift(&bench) go up, If you want to speed up the growth do standing barbell curls. 2-3sets of heavy curls 1-2 times a week at the end of a workout.

im not even as remotely conditioned as them, but i train daily next to some of irelands leading bodybuilders and you pick up a thing or two.if you want big arms, you have to train them as hard as any other group. even dedicating a whole workout to them once a month. and yeah,do 3 full sets, if your workouts are confined to 1 hour of weights and 15-20 mins either side for changing and washing then cool, but if you have 3 hours to do chest and biceps then do it right.and that might mean 3 sets of 4 exercises. also, spend a lot of time at the dinner table ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

im not even as remotely conditioned as them, but i train daily next to some of irelands leading bodybuilders and you pick up a thing or two.if you want big arms, you have to train them as hard as any other group. even dedicating a whole workout to them once a month. and yeah,do 3 full sets, if your workouts are confined to 1 hour of weights and 15-20 mins either side for changing and washing then cool, but if you have 3 hours to do chest and biceps then do it right.and that might mean 3 sets of 4 exercises. also, spend a lot of time at the dinner table ;)

It's one thing for "Irelands leading bodybuilders" to train like that. It's a whole different story for a beginner or even an intermediate lifter to train that way, it's a waste of time. Spend the time getting stronger and it'll stand to you better in the long run.

How is your bench, deadlift, row or oh press ever going to progress if you spend an hour a week on your arms?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks
    Keith[/QUOte
    I deadlifted yesterday for the first time and lifted 160kg once easy enough. I would of tried more only it was ny first time and I was afraid I'd hurt my back.

I watched this video before I lifted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztd3uaNTCwY&feature=fvsr
    but I'm 6ft 1 and read somewhere on boards but can't find it now that I should lift with a wider grip or something if I'm tall.

Its an easy enough exercise and I think I'd be able to lift 200kg in a short time but I can't see how they make your biceps bigger.

I'm 6ft 1
    13 and a half stone.
    I play gaa and used to play rugby and haven't done alot of weights but I plan on doing it twice a week and playing rugby again next year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Deadlifting will have some effect on your biceps due to the time under tension in the lift and also their systematic effect. Not the ideal if you want to directly "target" them, but good nonetheless.

It's amazing how biceps bring people out of the woodwork. It's not so long ago that saying you did curls was taboo on this forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Deadlifting will have some effect on your biceps due to the time under tension in the lift and also their systematic effect. Not the ideal if you want to directly "target" them, but good nonetheless.

It's amazing how biceps bring people out of the woodwork. It's not so long ago that saying you did curls was taboo on this forum. :)

Its still is isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Its still is isn't it?

very much so! :eek:

corkcomp wrote: »
    very much so! :eek:

Oh ok.
    Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Conditioned

Thanks
    Keith

I think Barry has more or less answered your question already but I'll add a bit.

Will you get bigger biceps if you lift over 200kg in the deadlift?
    Well you may get to a stage where you lift over 200kg in the deadlift and have bigger arms but it won't be just the deadlift that helped you. In fact the deadlift's effect on building bigger biceps will be very small. I wouldn't be into bodybuilding but if deadlifts were a great biceps exercise than bodybuilders who wanted bigger arms would be doing a load of different versions of the deadlift for there biceps rather than curls.

The deadlift you showed in the link is the one I'd use if I were you. It suits tall people best. The one you describe with the hands wide is the snatch grip deadlift, which is good but if your only starting to deadlift stick with the conventional deadlift for a while.

How long it takes to get over 200kg will differ from person to person and really its not a huge figure. There's lots of tall slim lads that the deadlift suits that will get to this figure and higher quickly due to the deadlift suiting there frame.

Theres no harm in doing biceps curls as long as you don't get carried away with them. If the amount of sets of curls your doing is more than the amount of sets spent squatting, than you can be sure your getting carried away with them.

People have really become anti-curls mainly due to the amount of time beginners spend doing them but they do have a place in many good programmes. I safely say that any powerlifter at a good level of strength is doing them to protect his elbows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Haha i know, I never expected to get this many replies! BTW lads, tried out a few of these exercises on Friday.Was pleasantly surprised by the single arm cable curls especially, so thanks Squod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Its because deep down inside every guy knows there's nothing more awesome then doing curls til your arms are so pumped you have to loosen your mp3 player armband. The armband mp3 player choosen for its effects on increasing vascularity, colour corodinated with your wife beater:pac:

Its because deep down inside every guy knows there's nothing more awesome then doing curls til your arms are so pumped you have to loosen your mp3 player armband. The armband mp3 player choosen for its effects on increasing vascularity, colour corodinated with your wife beater:pac:

That is literally a guy in my gym.

That is literally a guy in my gym.

Is it you?
    :pac:

Yeah.

It gives a modern look when I'm curling in the squat rack and scaring nOObs with my machismo.

Thats literally the first time I have used the word nOObs.

The deadlift you showed in the link is the one I'd use if I were you. It suits tall people best. The one you describe with the hands wide is the snatch grip deadlift, which is good but if your only starting to deadlift stick with the conventional deadlift for a while.

How long it takes to get over 200kg will differ from person to person and really its not a huge figure. There's lots of tall slim lads that the deadlift suits that will get to this figure and higher quickly due to the deadlift suiting there frame.

I found the thread that I read about the deadlift for tall people. Transform was actually the author too. He recomends Sumo. I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks
    Keith

I found the thread that I read about the deadlift for tall people. Transform was actually the author too. He recomends Sumo. I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks
    Keith
    really depends on your overall deadlift technique but just work hard and progressively on it and i have never seen a lean guy that can pull over 200kg in a deadlift that did not have good looking arms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thanks
    Keith

Did he recommend it for tall people, or people with long legs?

Hanley wrote: »
    Did he recommend it for tall people, or people with long legs?

"my experience is that a sumo stance is best for heavy deadlifts for me as a taller lifter but its really a personal thing. I go normal stance up to 140-160kg and switch to sumo when working up to over 200kg

Both methods work and the most important thing is that you are getting stronger regardless of the stance (obviously with good form). "

I'm much the same build from looking at the bicep video, so I reckon this is what I should be doing. Am I right?

I'm presuming when you talk about long legs you don't mean height, what is considered long legs?

Yeah.

It gives a modern look when I'm curling in the squat rack and scaring nOObs with my machismo.

Thats literally the first time I have used the word nOObs.

And you got it wrong. It's actually n00bs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

"my experience is that a sumo stance is best for heavy deadlifts for me as a taller lifter but its really a personal thing. I go normal stance up to 140-160kg and switch to sumo when working up to over 200kg

Both methods work and the most important thing is that you are getting stronger regardless of the stance (obviously with good form). "

I'm much the same build from looking at the bicep video, so I reckon this is what I should be doing. Am I right?

I'm presuming when you talk about long legs you don't mean height, what is considered long legs?

I'm pretty sure I've heard Transform talk about his sumo preference because of his long legs. With longer legs it can be very hard to get a good starting position.

Leg length is a relative thing. At 5'10, my inside leg measurement's under 30 inches. Short legs in other words.

Advertisement