Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building biceps?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

I'm fairly happy with how my body is progressing in most areas but my biceps seem to be lagging behind a bit.I'd appreciate if people could recommend what exercises to do for biceps(and what ones to avoid).

I'm more geared to muscle than strength btw.

Thanks.

P.S before the inevitable "you shouldn't just concentrate on your biceps" comment comes, let me assure you i am not neglecting any area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Standing one arm cable curl. I'm trying these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

I'm not sure of your other exercises but if you are deadlifting, benching, shoulder pressing, rows, squating you are using your biceps to an extent. So on top of them i find the best for adding size for me has been a simple barbell curl. At the moment i'm doing seated hammer curls which have really been harsh on me as i deadlift and barbell row before them. I've made good strength and size gains in the 2 months i included them into my routine. Don't try get too fancy and overtrain your biceps. If you really want your arms to look bigger try focusing on triceps. close grip bench press, dips, pulldowns or whatever are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Perfect Curl is the perfect addition to any perfect bicep routine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Spider Curl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Resistive force is greatest when path of weight is parallel to gravity.90degrees
    At 45 degrees, approximately 71% of weight * lever arm ratio
    at 30 degrees, approximately 50% of weight * lever arm ratio

Close grip chin ups beat curls hands down.Keep the curls for the women, and there 5 kg dumbbells.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

digme wrote: »
    Close grip chin ups beat curls hands down.Keep the curls for the women, and there 5 kg dumbbells.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭justaday

genetics my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Hanley wrote: »
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:
    258Troll_spray.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

GravityVectorArch.gif

Keep the curls for the women, and there 5 kg dumbbells.
    258Troll_spray.jpg

Less of this rubbish please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

This is like so totally my favourite subject. And you like soooo never get to talk about them on here! Oh my God!!!

Anyway, I'm torn between recommending the pumpy stuff and the stuff that I've found actually works. Ez curls give the best pump for me but preachers (though I hate them) tend to add the most over time. I can't remember the article or the author even but there was something about your lever length and someone had gone to an awful lot of trouble to recommend bicep exercises for long/short levers and peaked/flat biceps. I'm off to bed but I'll have a search for it tomorrow. Think it was on t-nation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Pulls ups can be good for the arms but i'd never substitute them for curls with good form. When i'm doing pull ups i'm using my back to get up over the bar. Not my biceps.

Try short supinated grip pull ups. aka chins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paulo83

Twisting Dumbbell curls - for the biceps brachii,
    Concentration / Preacher curls - more stress on the brachialis,
    Hammer curls - more stress on the brachioradialis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Drop sets seem to work fairly well for me. The easiest way to do them is with a cable stack.

Pick a weight that you can curl for 10, do 10 reps, drop the weight by one plate, rep out to failure, repeat until there's no more plates.

I would only do this at the end of a workout and only once a week.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Thanks for the comments lads.Some good stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The only time I ever get serious DOMS in my biceps (if that means anything) is doing negative only dumbbell curls, I do these one arm at a time with my free hand assisting the dumbbell. I might be able to manage 2-4 normal curls and then do negative onlys.

Even when doing heavy weighted negative only chins I don't get much bicep DOMS, lats can be utterly destroyed though.

I sometimes superset chins with negative only curls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

my fave -

i very rarely do any biceps work - bores me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i keep meaning to try that transform!

i keep meaning to try that transform!
    go nice and heavy on the chins or better still some good heavy negative chins first!

id say id hit 5x5 chins with 10-12kg attached , how much lower would you drop the db curls from when youd be fresh?

• Advertisement

for me and my giant gunzzz i do not drop them at all!!

Seriously - about 3-4kg lighter and go back for some more body weight chins!!

cool, i might try it with a barbell instead of dumbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Transform wrote: »
    good heavy negative chins first!
    Do you still do any negative only work? I think you were the only person I saw doing them before (besides people doing negative chins when they are just starting out). From this ancient thread.
    Just wondering if any of you have used it in your programs.

I am getting great results from it on negative only chins with 20-35lbs weight and performing parallel bar dips (concentric and eccentric i.e. doing them as normal) with an added 20kg hanging off me. By back has not been this stiff in ages and i find the dips excellent for chest development.

There are lots of other exercises but i picked the compound ones only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

justaday wrote: »
    genetics my friend.

Genetics doesnt play that big a role in biicep development, hard work does pay off, and as someone said before me - chin ups work the sh1t out of your biceps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

of course genetics plays a part in bicep development jesus christ....

OP depending on what you think is wrong with your bicep will determine how succesfull your going to be. if you have poor bicep insertion(bicep raises slightly high from the the inside of your elbow) its going to be very hard to get the length you might be looking for. If its that your arm looks smaller head on then then in actual fact your tricep can have more to do with that full look. The bicep is a tiny muscle compared to your tricep and big arms look that way due to all of these muscle groups being hit heavy. You have 3 heads in your tricep and only one in your bicep(unless your a professional body builder and the HGH made yours split off like coleman)

state more as to what it is your trying to achieve. bigger arms, or just a bigger bicep?

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you still do any negative only work? I think you were the only person I saw doing them before (besides people doing negative chins when they are just starting out). From this ancient thread.
    yes i thow them in on chins and other exercises at times throughout a week but to be honest if i have to do say 150 chins for time in a session there is no need as my lats and arms are hanging off me after a session like that.

They do work really well but should NOT be put into every session or you will burn out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

my fave -

i very rarely do any biceps work - bores me

How many rounds of that do you do? It looks like a killer.

I usually do very little direct bicep work, usually at the end of a back day, I'm wondering would it be a good idea to try this or will it just burn me out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38 21inchguns

Websters wrote: »
    of course genetics plays a part in bicep development jesus christ....

OP depending on what you think is wrong with your bicep will determine how succesfull your going to be. if you have poor bicep insertion(bicep raises slightly high from the the inside of your elbow) its going to be very hard to get the length you might be looking for. If its that your arm looks smaller head on then then in actual fact your tricep can have more to do with that full look. The bicep is a tiny muscle compared to your tricep and big arms look that way due to all of these muscle groups being hit heavy. You have 3 heads in your tricep and only one in your bicep(unless your a professional body builder and the HGH made yours split off like coleman)

state more as to what it is your trying to achieve. bigger arms, or just a bigger bicep?

Hmm, HGH makes your bicep split off? Ok, think about the name bicep, the clue is in the bi bit, the same way the tricep has tri in it... I would say biceps account for 40% of the arm and triceps account for the other 60%, I dont think it's tiny compared to the triceps by any means.

I find neutral grip chins the best, I do them after I have done back and really focus on using the biceps to do the work rather than the back. (I have 21" guns, I should know)

Hey 12inch guns, you seem to know your stuff. If HGH makes your biceps split, does that then make them the triceps? Then if your triceps split will they become your quadriceps? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Keep it simple, heavy as possible dumbell curls and the same for barbell curls... throw in maybe 2 sets of any sort of preacher, concentration or hammer at the end and you'll be happy(ish)....

Advertisement