Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The footballers had a great win, I went out for a couple of pints to watch the rugby before the match and then headed into the game so I wouldn't be taking any of my analysis seriously, again like the hurlers though they completely turned off, to go a half an hour in a match without scoring just isn't good enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The 2 minor teams had great wins, some great structures in place and you can see the talent coming through, the county board is doing something right with developing underage teams.

4 Clare lads named on the GAA team of the week, 2 names in positions different to their jerseys

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/gaa-ie-hurling-team-of-the-week-x0652/

GAA.ie Hurling Team of the Week

1: Donal Tuohy (Clare)

2: Padraic Mannion (Galway) 3: David McInerney (Clare) 4: Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny)

5: Brendan Maher (Tipperary) 6: Ronan Maher (Tipperary) 7: Padraig Walsh (Kilkenny)

8: Tony Kelly (Clare) 9: Cha Dwyer (Laois)

10: Marty Kavanagh (Carlow) 11: Seamus Callanan (Tipperary) 12: TJ Reid (Kilkenny)

13: John O'Dwyer (Tipperary) 14: Shane O'Donnell (Clare) 15: Patrick Horgan (Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Good win yesterday. Backed Conlan for first goalscorer too :) The 5 minutes before half time Clare were on fire. Decision making and discipline was generally good until last 10 minutes. Think Clare need to using the bench sooner. McCarthy and Taylor both made instant impact from bench scoring a point each. Conlan and O'Donnell will get sharper as season goes on. Though Jack Browne done well at centre back. Malone was excellent,Fitzgerald grew into game after caught for steps a couple times. Duggan was excellent on the frees, Tony Kelly has a major impact and didn't fade in second half. Shane Bennett struck Pat O'Connor with his hurl in the second half. Will CCC be looking at that? Far worse than red Conor Cleary received in the league between the 2 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Gael85 wrote: »
    Good win yesterday. Backed Conlan for first goalscorer too :) The 5 minutes before half time Clare were on fire. Decision making and discipline was generally good until last 10 minutes. Think Clare need to using the bench sooner. McCarthy and Taylor both made instant impact from bench scoring a point each. Conlan and O'Donnell will get sharper as season goes on. Though Jack Browne done well at centre back. Malone was excellent,Fitzgerald grew into game after caught for steps a couple times. Duggan was excellent on the frees, Tony Kelly has a major impact and didn't fade in second half. Shane Bennett struck Pat O'Connor with his hurl in the second half. Will CCC be looking at that? Far worse than red Conor Cleary received in the league between the 2 teams.

Bennett was all over the shop, he gave away frees with rash challenges.. We'd have been worse off if he had been sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The draws for the county championships has just taken place.

No real standout game in the hurling championship. Eire og get to play Kilmaley again after the beating we took last year.

Feakle v NOF
    Mills v Clonlara
    Bridge v clarecastle
    Inamona v tulla
    Tones v crusheen
    Ballyea v Quin
    Cratloe v whitegate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Football senior draw, group 4 looks very though

St Joseph’s Miltown
    Kilmihil
    Kilrush Shamrocks
    O’Curry’s/Naomh Eoin

Group 2
    Kilmurry Ibrickane
    Lissycasey
    Corofin

Group 3
    Ennistymon
    Doonbeg
    Cooraclare

Group 4
    Cratloe
    Clondegad
    Éire Óg

Intermeadite and junior football

Group 1
    Kilfenora
    Liscannor
    Wolfe Tones

Group 2
    Kildysart
    St Joseph’s D/B
    Naomh Eoin

Group 3
    St Senan’s Kilkee
    O’Curry’s
    Shannon Gaels

Group 4
    Coolmeen
    Éire Óg
    St Breckan’s

JFC

Clare Jnr A Football Championship
    Group 1
    Ballyvaughan
    St Joseph’s D/B
    Meelick
    Kilrush Shamrocks

Group 2
    Cratloe
    Banner
    Ennistymon
    Michael Cusack’s

Group 3
    St Joseph’s Miltown
    Cooney-Quin
    Cooraclare
    Killimer

Group 4
    Doonbeg
    Lissycasey
    Kilmurry Ibrickane

Intermeadite and junior A Hurling

Tubber v Newmarket-on-Fergus
    Bodyke v Parteen
    Clarecastle v Corofin
    Killanena v Inagh-Kilnamona
    Éire Óg v Scariff
    Broadford v Ruan
    Smith O’Brien’s v Sixmilebridge
    St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield v Cratloe

Junior A Hurling
    Group 1
    Crusheen
    O’Callaghan’s Mills
    Clonlara
    Clooney-Quin
    Ennistymon
    Ballyea

Group 2
    Ogonnelloe
    Broadford
    Kilmaley
    Wolfe Tones
    Inagh-Kilnamona
    Meelick

The draws for the county championships has just taken place.

No real standout game in the hurling championship. Eire og get to play Kilmaley again after the beating we took last year.

Feakle v NOF
    Mills v Clonlara
    Bridge v clarecastle
    Inamona v tulla
    Tones v crusheen
    Ballyea v Quin
    Cratloe v whitegate

Mills clonlara is intresting, if the Mills can carry on last years championship form , feakle will fancy there chances against the blues.

The bridge v magpies game could be the most onesided of the round given how much clarecastle have falling back over the last few years

I would say there is nothing much between the other games , whitegate will be dogged against cratloe , ballyea and clooney quinn could come down to which free taker is on better form
    Kilmaley v eire og will be much closer then the 1/4 final last year
    Inagh will probably have enough for tulla
    Crusheen and wolfe tones is anyones guess , if tones are up for it and have a full fit panel they win in my opinion ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Mills clonlara is intresting, if the Mills can carry on last years championship form , feakle will fancy there chances against the blues.

The bridge v magpies game could be the most onesided of the round given how much clarecastle have falling back over the last few years

I would say there is nothing much between the other games , whitegate will be dogged against cratloe , ballyea and clooney quinn could come down to which free taker is on better form
    Kilmaley v eire og will be much closer then the 1/4 final last year
    Inagh will probably have enough for tulla
    Crusheen and wolfe tones is anyones guess , if tones are up for it and have a full fit panel they win in my opinion ,

There's the makings of a few nice accumulator bets there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

How does this championship work? Top 2 from each group into quarter finals or 4 group winners straight in semi final? Presume bottom team from each group into relegation semi finals with one team going down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

Football senior draw, group 4 looks very though

St Joseph’s Miltown
    Kilmihil
    Kilrush Shamrocks
    O’Curry’s/Naomh Eoin

Group 2
    Kilmurry Ibrickane
    Lissycasey
    Corofin

Group 3
    Ennistymon
    Doonbeg
    Cooraclare

Group 4
    Cratloe
    Clondegad
    Éire Óg

Top two through to quarter finals and bottom teams (excluding amalgamation) involved in relegation?

It's a pity not to see more amalgamations in there but the intermediate and junior teams involved would need to have their championship run off before senior one starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Group 1
    Kilfenora
    Liscannor
    Wolfe Tones

Group 2
    Kildysart
    St Joseph’s D/B
    Naomh Eoin

Group 3
    St Senan’s Kilkee
    O’Curry’s
    Shannon Gaels

Group 4
    Coolmeen
    Éire Óg
    St Breckan’s

JFC

Group 1
    Ballyvaughan
    St Joseph’s D/B
    Meelick
    Kilrush Shamrocks

Group 2
    Cratloe
    Banner
    Ennistymon
    Michael Cusack’s

Group 3
    St Joseph’s Miltown
    Cooney-Quin
    Cooraclare
    Killimer

Group 4
    Doonbeg
    Lissycasey
    Kilmurry Ibrickane

Have Clarecastle no football team this year? They were relegated from intermediate last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Figerty wrote: »
    Bennett was all over the shop, he gave away frees with rash challenges.. We'd have been worse off if he had been sent off.

Stephen struck out, not Shane. Not sure if the ruling, is it deemed “dealt with” by the referee as he went in and spoke to umpires and both players at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Stephen struck out, not Shane. Not sure if the ruling, is it deemed “dealt with” by the referee as he went in and spoke to umpires and both players at the time?

Depends on what he writes in his report, same as Austin Gleeson in 2017. And funnily enough same referee too

That said, from the footage I saw which was obviously quite brief and only one angle I thought O Connor made a meal of it. Not sure how much contact there actually was, and Bennett protested that point at great length from the minute he went down.

Gael85 wrote: »

Group 1
    Kilfenora
    Liscannor
    Wolfe Tones

Group 2
    Kildysart
    St Joseph’s D/B
    Naomh Eoin

Group 3
    St Senan’s Kilkee
    O’Curry’s
    Shannon Gaels

Group 4
    Coolmeen
    Éire Óg
    St Breckan’s

JFC

Group 1
    Ballyvaughan
    St Joseph’s D/B
    Meelick
    Kilrush Shamrocks

Group 2
    Cratloe
    Banner
    Ennistymon
    Michael Cusack’s

Group 3
    St Joseph’s Miltown
    Cooney-Quin
    Cooraclare
    Killimer

Group 4
    Doonbeg
    Lissycasey
    Kilmurry Ibrickane

Have Clarecastle no football team this year? They were relegated from intermediate last year?

They pulled out of the intermediate championship at some point last year after round 2 I think,

They have falling back massively in hurling in recent times and nearly relegated to intermediate , despite having good under age structures they got hammered by cratloe by 20 points in the championship last year which set alarm bells ringing in the club to concentrate on one code for the moment

Clarecastle took the eye off the ball for a few years, they concentrated on their facilities while most of their senior players too up coaching roles with other clubs which left to a vacuum, it shouldn't be long until they come back though they seem to have grear structures in place, saying that having a strong Ballyea won't do them a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭17togo

That said, from the footage I saw which was obviously quite brief and only one angle I thought O Connor made a meal of it. Not sure how much contact there actually was, and Bennett protested that point at great length from the minute he went down.

The best shot I saw of it was actually from Buff Egans snapchat. It clearly showed Bennett pulling back and striking him. Not sure if the powers that be are followers of buff Egan though! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

So with just over an hour to go before the Clare v Cork Munster Minor Football Championship "unofficial" semi-final, with the winners set for a tilt against Kerry in the Munster final on June 22nd. Really looking forward as a Clare fan to see how Cillian McGroary and Shane Meehan will get on, after a tough match with the minor hurlers against Waterford in Walsh Park last Sunday, which would have taken a lot out of their bodies, both mentally and physically.

The midfield battle will be immense with the two Rouines, Brendy and Eoin sure to make their presence felt against the rebels. While in defense, expect the likes of Michael Garry, Ciaran McMahon and Tadgh Lillis also to play big roles if we are to come out on top in Ennis this evening.

A huge game for the Clare lads this evening. Cork may have the favorites tag, and despite their 16 point loss against Kerry 8 days ago, are still a formidable opponent for the Banner youngsters. Best of luck to the Clare lads tonight and fingers crossed that come just after 20 past 8 this evening, that they will be in a third successive Munster final next month. I will give a match report shortly after the game.

• Advertisement

Cork 3-9 Clare 0-14

Well the old saying of goals win matches, couldn't be more truer tonight. Our defensive was caught napping several times by good Cork play, resulting in plenty of overlaps for the rebels, that the Clare lads could not deal with.

However despite this disappointing loss for the Banner county, there were some immense performances from Clare. Shane Meehan. What a amazing talent. He is like a jumbo jet, such his is amazing ability to duck and dive to win frees and his extraordinary pace to burn was too much for the Cork lads to keep up with. Dara Nagle and Jamie Stack were also influential and chipped in with very good scores.

In defense I thought that Michael Garry and another dual minor Cillian McGroary were most impressive with their tenacity to win ball back and in Cillian's case his ability to run at speed from the back was a joy to behold. In general I could not fault the effort from ourselves. Cork don't become a bad team overnight and that certainly showed today.

So Kerry next in 7 days time. It looks the impossible task, but knowing Dermot Coughlan and his selectors, they and the lads will dust themselves down and reflect on a brave but ultimately defeat in the end. Plenty of positives going forward but with Clare's 6th match in a space of 7 weeks, tiredness and fatigue will be an issue. Still plenty of heart from these lads which is most positive going forward.

A very interesting tweet by Derrick Lynch from the Clare Champion this evening. He may be referring to an Cusack Cup game this evening.

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1129802758868148224

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

A very interesting tweet by Derrick Lynch from the Clare Champion this evening. He may be referring to an Cusack Cup game this evening.

He definitely is, fairly scumbag comment to be making towards someone who was a great player for the banner

i would love if lynch named and shamed the person responsible for the comments , i have heard some serious crap aimed at top clare players over the years , cathal malone got some dose of tons of clare supporters last year despite being one of the best defensive midfield players in the championship last year , tony kelly was the worst though , a few weeks after missing a last minute free off the post in an all ireland minor semi final back in 2011 against galway kelly was involved in a club minor game a few weeks later where he was just about to take a free for ballyea against sixmilebridge where a supporter about 4 times his age shouted in
    "go way kelly you useless p***k you just cost us an all ireland " :confused:

some people should not be let near a gaa field

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Great report there Donald Trump.
    You seem to have a great knowledge of the team etc. so perhaps you will be kind enough to settle a small bet for me. A friend of mine maintains that the majority of the Clare minor football team will be eligible to play u 17 again next year. If that is true, then this was an extraordinary performance and from listening to the game on Clare FM it seems they were unlucky to loose?
    Thanks in advance.

wackokid wrote: »
    Great report there Donald Trump.
    You seem to have a great knowledge of the team etc. so perhaps you will be kind enough to settle a small bet for me. A friend of mine maintains that the majority of the Clare minor football team will be eligible to play u 17 again next year. If that is true, then this was an extraordinary performance and from listening to the game on Clare FM it seems they were unlucky to loose?
    Thanks in advance.

Brendan Rouine, Matthew Reidy, Dara Nagle, Cillian McGroary and Shane Meehan are just some of the names that will be eligible for U17 next year. Yeah this is a very good Clare team and were desperately unlucky to not defeat the rebels, last Wednesday. Kerry next Thursday will be a very tough task.

But knowing the heart they have shown throughout this year, expect another brave performance from these lads under the management lead by Dermot Coughlan, who is an outstanding coach and manager. Possibly the next Clare senior football manager come 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Thank you Donald. Looks like I lost my bet when you say those five lads are just SOME of next year's team.
    Might get my money back by having a little wager on them to come good next year?
    Your prompt reply is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Clareman wrote: »
    Clarecastle took the eye off the ball for a few years, they concentrated on their facilities while most of their senior players too up coaching roles with other clubs which left to a vacuum, it shouldn't be long until they come back though they seem to have grear structures in place, saying that having a strong Ballyea won't do them a favour.

I think the emergence of Ballyea is a bigger contributor. If you went back to when Clarecastle were last successful they had a lot of hurlers from that area. They don’t have that talent pool now and won’t for foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

wackokid wrote: »
    Thank you Donald. Looks like I lost my bet when you say those five lads are just SOME of next year's team.
    Might get my money back by having a little wager on them to come good next year?
    Your prompt reply is much appreciated.

Fahy and Talty also available next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

Even though we were not playing, yesterday still significant bearing on our chances in the hurling.

As feared, Tipp are now coming to town red hot and full of confidence. 4-58 scored in two games is a ridiculous number. I've said previously, Clare have to come out of the traps fast in this one, we cannot afford to slip behind early because they have too much firepower. One aspect of our game that I cannot emphasise enough is our work rate from 8-15. We worked hard against Waterford in fairness, but it needs to go up another notch. I think Podge will play deeper in this game. If the Tipp half back line and midfield are allowed to come out unchallenged to spray lovely diagonal balls into the forwards, we can forget about it. Having said that, I do think we can test out their rearguard and I'd like to see us run at them around midfield/half forward where I think they have questionable pace. I think we can win this game, but work rate and discipline is everything to our chances in two weeks.

Cork beating Limerick really showed that they are going to be a massive proposition for us in the final round (not that they already weren't). But getting that win down the Ennis Road yesterday, they will have full confidence in their ability to turn us over in our backyard too. They have had our number since 2013 and I'd expect them to have two wins going when they arrive. Limerick losing means the game against us will be a bloodbath, packed house, it will be a proper edgy Munster championship game.

It's must be said, we have won our first game away from home but it still feels like its a huge task just getting out of the province. Tickets for the bank holiday weekend are almost sold out so it should be a great occasion when Tipp come to town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement