Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Clareman wrote: »
    In the weekend's other game, Clare should beat Waterford in Ennis on Saturday night, hopefully there will be a good crowd in for it, I for 1 am looking forward to it, it seems very early to have a championship weekend. You'd expect a division 2 team to beat a division 4 team easy enough but Keelan Sexton not being available is a huge loss to us.

Should they beat Waterford the semi final against Kerry is scheduled for 7pm on the 1st of June, the same night as the Champions League final, be interesting to see if they move it to an earlier time or just leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

Boots234 wrote: »
    Should they beat Waterford the semi final against Kerry is scheduled for 7pm on the 1st of June, the same night as the Champions League final, be interesting to see if they move it to an earlier time or just leave it

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Just thought they might move it as it might affect the attendance otherwise. Did the Ulster council move a match last year to avoid a clash with last years champions league final?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

Knowing the GAA they won't move it. Remember when Galway GAA asked FIFA to move the kick-off time for the world cup final? Hopefully we won't have to endure the embarrassment of a similar request to UEFA... Either way, we need to win against Waterford first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

Just thought they might move it as it might affect the attendance otherwise. Did the Ulster council move a match last year to avoid a clash with last years champions league final?

They had Down and Antrim playing the same night last year at the same time.

Foolish really. Did the same the night of the 2011 CL Final. Probably under the impression that its them v us with soccer. Most people follow both. Even as a big GAA fan the Champions League final is the big draw this time of year by a long way.

5 o clock start for these games is ideal. Give fans a chance to watch both is needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Looks like Stephen Ryan from the Kilrush Shamrocks club could start in goal for tomorrow's Munster Football Championship clash against Waterford in Ennis. That's because Robert Eyres and Eamonn Tubridy are likely to miss out. Keelan Sexton and Pearse Lillis are gone travelling. While in a huge blow, David Tubridy is likely to miss out too. Could Cormac Murray from Miltown St. Josephs, who has been in brilliant form for his club, be included in Colm Collins' side as a result? The team is set to be announced tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Where is Sean O'Donoghue? That is the only surprise on that team. Great to see Gavin Cooney and Cormac Murray start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Where is Sean O'Donoghue? That is the only surprise on that team. Great to see Gavin Cooney and Cormac Murray start though.

carrying a knock , plus bohannon has been in the squad for ages now , deserves his start , aqquited himself well against cork before getting injured in that game in the league , realistically he would be very much 3rd choice behind brennan and o'connor but i reckon collins has him in to see if he can cut it at championship level from the start

in time i reckon cillian brennan will take over his brothers place in the middle , cillian has been excellent at full or center back since coming on board last year

stephan ryan is another excellent choice for the future , played in the mcgrath cup win over waterford , found himself outside the panel due to the number of players ahead of him on the pecking order but at the moment all 3 of robert eyres , pearse de loughry , eamon tubridy are injured , while killian Roche is off the panel and concentrating out field for his club

ryan is definitely one for the future in around the 19/20 age group and looked the part in kilrush's intermediate win last year and especially in the munster championship game against kilcumman where he pulled off some excellent stops that day too

cooney should be a consistent starter now , was excellent in the league and a real prospect , hoping to see cormac murray light up this level fantastic club player for miltown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

https://twitter.com/ClareSenHurlers/status/1126939780544114689

Colm Galvin will have 6 on his back. Not sure he will play there though. The starting 15 personnel wise is as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

letowski wrote: »

Colm Galvin will have 6 on his back. Not sure he will play there though. The starting 15 personnel wise is as expected.
    Would expect Malone to follow Gleeson to negate him, brown to centre back and galvin to midfield perhaps!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Strange seeing Galvin named at 6 but the way the game is now who knows where players end up.

Looking through the Waterford team, I think we are matched up fairly well. Getting good ball into the full forward line will be critical along with the basics of stopping giving away needless frees and taking our free chances.

Hopefully get the win in a very tight contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Would expect Malone to follow Gleeson to negate him, brown to centre back and galvin to midfield perhaps!!?

I think that's it, I wouldn't fancy Fitzgearld marking Gleeson as he isn't a proper back. Browne will need to be ready of Aussie goes to center forward too.

Fairly evenly matched teams. I hope this game isn't decided on our discipline or missed frees by Duggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

Would love to see the elder Brennan start at FF, I think he's not able for a full game at MF anymore but you'd get a full 70 from him at the edge of the square.
    carrying a knock , plus bohannon has been in the squad for ages now , deserves his start , aqquited himself well against cork before getting injured in that game in the league , realistically he would be very much 3rd choice behind brennan and o'connor but i reckon collins has him in to see if he can cut it at championship level from the start

in time i reckon cillian brennan will take over his brothers place in the middle , cillian has been excellent at full or center back since coming on board last year

stephan ryan is another excellent choice for the future , played in the mcgrath cup win over waterford , found himself outside the panel due to the number of players ahead of him on the pecking order but at the moment all 3 of robert eyres , pearse de loughry , eamon tubridy are injured , while killian Roche is off the panel and concentrating out field for his club

ryan is definitely one for the future in around the 19/20 age group and looked the part in kilrush's intermediate win last year and especially in the munster championship game against kilcumman where he pulled off some excellent stops that day too

cooney should be a consistent starter now , was excellent in the league and a real prospect , hoping to see cormac murray light up this level fantastic club player for miltown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

How is Roche doing after the injury picked up last year? Who will be sub goalie tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

sasol wrote: »
    Did Rory Hayes leave the panel ?

Good question, anyone know what happened ?
    He looked very good in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Think he announced he was going to the states for the summer.

Did Rory Hayes leave the panel ?

I believe he is still part of the panel but going travelling , dont know why he picked this summer though taught he was doing enough to stay in the hunt for a place

funnyname wrote: »
    Would love to see the elder Brennan start at FF, I think he's not able for a full game at MF anymore but you'd get a full 70 from him at the edge of the square.

Maybe if sean o'donohue and o Connor were available we could put him inside

In fairness to gary he had an excellent league , but like a few hurlers for a young man has huge milage up

It is very possible he would be on gerry and donals panel sunday had he not being such a gifted Footballer , had a serious championship with ballyea last year

letowski wrote: »

Thats a deacent bench to have too in fairness , its not much worse then what Waterford have , i dont see us wining espically if our running game gets exposed early ,

However there wont be much in it , as everyone says up here we have "3" home games after sunday so no excuse to get out of the group ,

• Advertisement

Kerry people wont care what is on , they will bring a sizable crowd up espically the season ticket holders

Hopfully it gets moved back to half five or something , create a bit of atmosphere in town after , ...........provided we win of course

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So league form doesn't matter and SoD goes straight into the team, nice to see that lads killing themselves during the winter being rewarded with a chance to shine in the championship.

Last year SoD wasn't good enough to keep his place (neither was Kelly in my opinion) but it's clear that your reputation is worth more than your performance.

So league form doesn't matter and SoD goes straight into the team, nice to see that lads killing themselves during the winter being rewarded with a chance to shine in the championship.

Last year SoD wasn't good enough to keep his place (neither was Kelly in my opinion) but it's clear that your reputation is worth more than your performance.

There was no stand out performance by one player to say they could take his place over the league

Everyone knew he would be back for this game anyway , players had plenty of time to lay down markers

There was no stand out performance by one player to say they could take his place over the league

Everyone knew he would be back for this game anyway , players had plenty of time to lay down markers

He wasn't good enough in a lot of games last year either but himself and Tony Kelly are undroppable because of what they might do rather than what they will do

He wasn't good enough in a lot of games last year either but himself and Tony Kelly are undroppable because of what they might do rather than what they will do
    I get what your saying; but who is good enough to start instead of o donnell? To me,our bench looks a bit light to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

I get what your saying; but who is good enough to start instead of o donnell? To me,our bench looks a bit light to be honest.

Shanagher

Shanagher

I don't know if he really impressed that much during the league to be honest, I still think he has a massive part to play this year though and could be a starter by the end of it

Lads that was putrid stuff from the Banner county senior footballers. Waterford brought massive energy and workrate, that Clare did not match. Time after time when Clare got into the Waterford 22, they were smothered up by three or four Waterford lads who were immense today. They had plenty of men back and forced Clare to shoot from distance which we were terrible at. Our shooting was shocking, taking the right option that Colm Collins has installed to the lads was not there. Above all else Clare just lacked energy and a zip to our play. To score only 1 point in the entire second half says it all really. They conceded the last 6 points of the game too.

For Waterford that was their finest 70 minutes plus for a long while. They played with great structure and honesty of effort. That's all you could ask of any team, Benji Whelan has done trojan work with the Deise men. He is an outstanding coach and you could see that the team reflected what Whelan has brought to the group.

For Clare, I just feel that they are at a crossroads with what they are trying to achieve here. We don't have the players that can kick from distance, barring Eoin Cleary. So they play a running game but that gets easily swallowed up by a well coached defensive team. A lot to ponder but at worst we have avoided the 1st round of the qualifiers, regardless of the Kerry result, but it looks like a massacre is on the way against Kerry in 3 weeks time, I'm afraid.

to be fair to shane , he was excellent in the last 3 championship games against wexford and galway last year , i agree wit your stance on kelly , especially when we had david reidy and shanahan playing so wel,l we had more options to replace him then we probably do now

in defence of the bench , ryan taylors performances have been underrated by many i think , while adian mccarthy , cooney who looked lively but a bit inexperienced in the league cathal mcinerney has never let us down off the bench and shanagher is an excellent impact sub also , i dont se a replacement midfielder but we have plenty of impact subs in backs and forwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Jaysus our footballers were very lucky. Sounds like we were absolutely rubbish. Only one point in the second half!!

Really thought we were continually improving but looks like we are going backwards.

I’ll take a one point win tomorrow though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement