Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

actually if we beat limerick next week we have them on the head to head as do cork , so you would imagine they will be out if they lose next week , and the game v cork in ennis will be to see who joins tipperary in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭17togo

Who do you think should be dropped?

Might be easier say who shouldn't...

But Tony Kelly has to be the first, again in a game when he was needed against a quality team he disappeared, until the last 10 minutes when tipp had started their recovery session. Look at limerick today and the impact dowling had when he came on, he played like he had a point to prove. Kelly needs this kind of kick up the arse. So after that, take your pick. Podge is another, started well, but then runs around not really doing a whole pile for the rest of the day! Cathal malone I feel was one of the few that can feel OK about themselves, he worked his arse off all day and got on some good ball. Jack brown did ok in the first half, I think we should stick with him at 6.
    The result in the limerick waterford game probably put this result in perspective. Were we ever really gonna trouble Tipperary?!
    If we could bring on substitute managers maybe?? 🀔 Playing galvin as a sweeper when we're chasing the game?? Come on!! 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

you could pick any amount , probably the only one that played well for us today was cathal malone

I ll name a few. John Conlon is one. He is totally out of form and would be good sub to bring on with 15min to go. I'd bring Cleary back in and I'd drop Fitzgerald. Tony Kelly should have been taken off today but I'd start him again next week. They wont play as bad again but it wont be enough next week.

17togo wrote: »
    Might be easier say who shouldn't...

But Tony Kelly has to be the first, again in a game when he was needed against a quality team he disappeared, until the last 10 minutes when tipp had started their recovery session. Look at limerick today and the impact dowling had when he came on, he played like he had a point to prove. Kelly needs this kind of kick up the arse. So after that, take your pick. Podge is another, started well, but then runs around not really doing a whole pile for the rest of the day! Cathal malone I feel was one of the few that can feel OK about themselves, he worked his arse off all day and got on some good ball. Jack brown did ok in the first half, I think we should stick with him at 6.
    The result in the limerick waterford game probably put this result in perspective. Were we ever really gonna trouble Tipperary?!
    If we could bring on substitute managers maybe?? �� Playing galvin as a sweeper when we're chasing the game?? Come on!! ��

to be fair to kelly today it wasnt his fault ,he was asked to do a marking job on paudie maher , who he did take out of the game but kelly was taken out of the game himself by doing so ,

we went 15 v 15 and got slaughtered , galvin as a sweeper is how we should have started , it was only after we put him back there that we got on top of there forwards ,

our forwards were diabolical today we scored 0-9 points from play , one point from our inside forward line in total , most of our scores came from the middle 3rd of the field , our top scorer was taken of first again today and we persisted with a tactic of long high balls down on top of probably the best backline in the country for winning high balls

our game plan is simple , flood the middle 3rd , bring galvin back the field to act as sweeper and play a short to medium passing game off the shoulder working the ball up to the forwards , it dam near got us to an all ireland last year

we done none of this today we went man for man and got well beaten as a result , its a pity we didnt drop back a man sooner because our scoring average is ****ed now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

actually if we beat limerick next week we have them on the head to head as do cork , so you would imagine they will be out if they lose next week , and the game v cork in ennis will be to see who joins tipperary in the final

Yes Limerick are out next week if Cork and Clare win.

• Advertisement

to be fair to kelly today it wasnt his fault ,he was asked to do a marking job on paudie maher , who he did take out of the game but kelly was taken out of the game himself by doing so ,

we went 15 v 15 and got slaughtered , galvin as a sweeper is how we should have started , it was only after we put him back there that we got on top of there forwards ,

our forwards were diabolical today we scored 0-9 points from play , one point from our inside forward line in total , most of our scores came from the middle 3rd of the field , our top scorer was taken of first again today and we persisted with a tactic of long high balls down on top of probably the best backline in the country for winning high balls

our game plan is simple , flood the middle 3rd , bring galvin back the field to act as sweeper and play a short to medium passing game off the shoulder working the ball up to the forwards , it dam near got us to an all ireland last year

we done none of this today we went man for man and got well beaten as a result , its a pity we didnt drop back a man sooner because our scoring average is ****ed now

Unfortunately you cant win an All Ireland without 15 v 15. Clare weren't slaughtered when 15 on 15. They went behind yes but were bang in the game. The sweeper was defeatist. Tipperary arent as dumb as Galway and were never going to fall for it. Plus Tipp can play 5 forwards on y backs and still come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 insecurebiped

Thought the same re: Cathal Malone, he was a work horse today alright. Especially at the beginning of the second half, he contributed a lot to pushing things forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Clare almost certainly out if they lose, would have to beat cork the following week and home Limk beat Tipp. So next week is sh1t or bust for both really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Thought Malone did well today, the less said about the rest the better. I won't shed a tear if this management team is replaced after this year.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Unfortunately you cant win an All Ireland without 15 v 15. Clare weren't slaughtered when 15 on 15. They went behind yes but were bang in the game. The sweeper was defeatist. Tipperary arent as dumb as Galway and were never going to fall for it. Plus Tipp can play 5 forwards on y backs and still come out on top.

the idea of a sweeper system is to make up for areas where you are short defensively , we were killed for pace today at the back , because we went man for man ,

we dont have the players to go man for man against this tipp team so you have to adjust , we can go 15v 15 against several other teams but not tipperary , they have us for pace and physicality and height in many areas of the field

to me we got it totally wrong tactally , what makes this team dangerous is the running game , we destroyed limerick with it last year before they won the all ireland , if we use that tactic next week by playing galvin back and a roaming half forward line we have a serious chance

if we go 15 v 15 like we did to day we wont win , i think the management bottled it because our game plan all year was fine up to today , i feel they didnt want to drop a man back because it would have given paudi maher a free run at the other end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

if we go 15 v 15 like we did to day we wont win , i think the management bottled it because our game plan all year was fine up to today , i feel they didnt want to drop a man back because it would have given paudi maher a free run at the other end

what reality do you exist in?

what reality do you exist in?

he absolutely destroyed us in the league , when given a free role , clare were incredibly naive in going man for man against this tipp team especially in the form they are in

he absolutely destroyed us in the league , when given a free role , clare were incredibly naive in going man for man against this tipp team especially in the form they are in

Clare went man to man? PM spent the whole 2nd half as a spare man.

Clare went man to man? PM spent the whole 2nd half as a spare man.

dropped a man back after the 3rd goal went in , was man for man before that , the 3rd goal killed the game off put 13 between the sides it was point for point after that , granted the game was over but it stopped the rot

That Tipperary forward line are class acts but they arent pacey...none of them are..Callinan has even lost a yard or two. And they arent big either. We would do ok man on man. We might still lose...but there is no chance of winning with Clare playing a sweeper.
    Next week Galvin will be back just in front of Cleary and it ll steady Clare abit. I dont see them beating Limerick. The form isnt there,Limerick will be perfectly tuned in and Clares formline is gone. It could be a good tight game but their subs will win it...or else Clare will get a spanking from the get go. Tony Kelly was a disgrace today. . What does he have to do or not do to get subbed?

That Tipperary forward line are class acts but they arent pacey...none of them are..Callinan has even lost a yard or two. And they arent big either. We would do ok man on man. We might still lose...but there is no chance of winning with Clare playing a sweeper.
    Next week Galvin will be back just in front of Cleary and it ll steady Clare abit. I dont see them beating Limerick. The form isnt there,Limerick will be perfectly tuned in and Clares formline is gone. It could be a good tight game but their subs will win it...or else Clare will get a spanking from the get go. Tony Kelly was a disgrace today. . What does he have to do or not do to get subbed?

granted we might not win , but why change tactics that were working well since the all ireland series last year let alone the league this year , it was a stupid mistake to make from the management , everyone knew tipperary were flying there was no need nor point in going man for man against what is probably the best team in the country at the moment ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

This beating was so bad, these pints arent even cheering me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

But if all 3 of those teams end up on 4 points each, then they can go through on points differential?

Tony Kelly was a disgrace today. . What does he have to do or not do to get subbed?

there is more then him

you would imagine one of

kelly
    john conlon
    podge
    o'donnell
    should have been taken off before duggan ,

also how many chances dose david mc get at full back , browne at half back didn't work either , why didn't cleary come on for one of them ,

it was 3-17 to 0-9 from play today surely we needed to make more then one defensive change in 70 minutes

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kelly was crap today and was also crap against Galway last year. Doesn't seem like a man who will grab a game by the scruff and go for it.

In fact, seems a problem with Clare in general. There are mental issues that need resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

there is more then him

you would imagine one of

kelly
    john conlon
    podge
    o'donnell
    should have been taken off before duggan ,

also how many chances dose david mc get at full back , browne at half back didn't work either , why didn't cleary come on for one of them ,

it was 3-17 to 0-9 from play today surely we needed to make more then one defensive change in 70 minutes

We need to get back to the idea that each man has to beat his own man. Even if we have a sweeper each has to hold their own. I'd go three in midfied, 3 in the half forward line and two up front. No sweeper just pull out deep.

Put Cleary back where he belongs. Jack Browne back to Corner back and drop either Morey or Malone,..

Malone get the ball, runs up the field, and the hand passes it backwards. Full forward line will get the pension before there a quick ball coming in.

We were asleep for their puck outs short and long. Did the whole team look over trained and mentally tired?

Figerty wrote: »
    We need to get back to the idea that each man has to beat his own man. Even if we have a sweeper each has to hold their own. I'd go three in midfied, 3 in the half forward line and two up front. No sweeper just pull out deep.

Put Cleary back where he belongs. Jack Browne back to Corner back and drop either Morey or Malone,..

Malone get the ball, runs up the field, and the hand passes it backwards. Full forward line will get the pension before there a quick ball coming in.

We were asleep for their puck outs short and long. Did the whole team look over trained and mentally tired?

malone is one of the only players putting in a shift at the moment , regardless of how one dimensional he may be . we need to stick to the system of galvin dropping back , weather as a 3rd midfielder or as an out and out sweeper , our backs need help at times ,

cleary at 6 yes have no problem with that , but i wouldn't drop malone no way

today was lost on the line to be fair , a bad day at the office against a really good tipp side we are much better then this hopefully we show it next week

FT Munster minor hurling championship

Clare 2-13 Tipperary 1-9

Outstanding win from the young men in saffron and blue. They now top the Munster MHC table and have games against Limerick next week and Cork the following Sunday. AN CLAR ABU!!!!!!

we owe mr bruiser lynch a huge apology , he has a fantastic job done with these lads

for anyone that did not see the game it was not a blow out more a controlled explosion , it was on the cards from half time when tipperary struggled to find scores with the wind at there backs

young shane meehan showed his class again today this time with the hurlers with his pace and new found strength:) he was brilliant , along with young cahill from corofin and the brilliant tony butler at wing back , colm collins nephew jarlath was at number 5 and had a fine game also , while fergal hegertys son connor scored 4 from play

poor game but it was a very comfortable win , a tip of the hat to joe cooney who has endorsed the development squad system in clare , i know praising the board on here can land a man in serious trouble but he deserves credit

purple jumper is still the real problem on the board i am informed ,

butler, hegerty, collins ,meehan and cahill along with devaney at corner back really excellent hurlers at this level , well done lads

the media scrum from yesterday ,john mcgrath very gracious in victory , someone needs to give him a clip round the ear and tell him just how good he really is

letowski wrote: »
    But if all 3 of those teams end up on 4 points each, then they can go through on points differential?

If cork and Clare win next weekend both on 4. One will be on 6 or maybe 5 each as they play the following weekend so all 3 can’t end on 4. As head to head then limerick who can only make 4 will be out.

Of course based on yesterday it’s a big if that Clare will beat limerick in their home patch but should be big incentive to qualify and knock out big rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd like to think that yesterday was just an off day, rather than confirmation that we are not up to standard.

Conlan had a serious off day, some awful wides - but generally he has been very consistent over the past few years.
    Duggan was off-form, but again he has been pretty dependable since coming into the team.
    and many others etc.

And of course Tipp were excellent, and have also hammered Cork already.

It's really down to performance levels on the day. If we play at our best we can beat Limerick.
    I'd expect only minor changes to the team for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

I'd like to think that yesterday was just an off day, rather than confirmation that we are not up to standard.

Conlan had a serious off day, some awful wides - but generally he has been very consistent over the past few years.
    Duggan was off-form, but again he has been pretty dependable since coming into the team.
    and many others etc.

It's really down to performance levels on the day. If we play at our best we can beat Limerick.

Tipp fan here, I agree that I don't think wholesale changes are required by Clare. The tactics though do need to be looked at. When Galvin sat back it did stem the Tipp forwards. Was most surprised Clare didn't try to run at Tipp more though, they have a lot of pace in them and didn't seem to utilize it, maybe the conditions nulled that a bit. Up against it vs Limerick, but I would not rule out ye getting a result. Limerick looked great yesterday but they were allowed to hurl without any resistance. Get stuck in early and anything can happen on the day.

and many others etc.

Tipp definitely the form team but difficult to keep that level through until August. Will be interesting will they rest players against limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Ompala wrote: »
    Tipp fan here, I agree that I don't think wholesale changes are required by Clare. The tactics though do need to be looked at. When Galvin sat back it did stem the Tipp forwards. Was most surprised Clare didn't try to run at Tipp more though, they have a lot of pace in them and didn't seem to utilize it, maybe the conditions nulled that a bit. Up against it vs Limerick, but I would not rule out ye getting a result. Limerick looked great yesterday but they were allowed to hurl without any resistance. Get stuck in early and anything can happen on the day.

I agree, I also think Tipp had done their homework and outplayed our system.

• Advertisement

Ompala wrote: »

I not sure how people expected Clare to counter Tipps sweeper system in the 2nd half yesterday once Dan McCormack went in wingback at the start of the 2nd half.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement