Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    Why does it have to be the players of the 90s? Why does it have to be those 3?

The problem with Clare is Pat Fitz, pure and simple, but there's no-one either willing or with the backing to replace him

how do you get rid of him , have you ever heard of a treasure been sacked form a county board , he was put there by croke park there is nothing clubs or ex players can really do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

He's the secretary, if clubs were to bring a vote against him then Croke Park wouldn't have a choice but to remove him from the position, he's not far off retirement though at this stage so that'll be the only way to get rid of him.

He's the secretary, if clubs were to bring a vote against him then Croke Park wouldn't have a choice but to remove him from the position, he's not far off retirement though at this stage so that'll be the only way to get rid of him.

and you are aware that his daughter is in line to take over his position if he dose retire which would be a disaster , the gaa really need to review this process of secretary's in county boards especially after what frank murphy got away with in the end down in cork

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My understanding is that the daughter was in line but because of "issues" with the Clare Supporters thing that she'll never be near the top table

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

how do you get rid of him , have you ever heard of a treasure been sacked form a county board , he was put there by croke park there is nothing clubs or ex players can really do

He is secretary.

In the immediate term, I am more worried about junior getting back in, and there is plenty that clubs and ex players can do about that.....if the appetite is there to do so

• Advertisement

sasol wrote: »
    He is secretary.

In the immediate term, I am more worried about junior getting back in, and there is plenty that clubs and ex players can do about that.....if the appetite is there to do so

i rushed my post earlier today sorry , he is secretary and a whole lot more with it :rolleyes:

my belief is that this maybe gerry and donal's last year due to both having top jobs for the companies they both work for
    if it is there last it wont be junior that takes up the helm , here's why

1. anthony daly stepped aside from the process to allow gerry and donal get the gig the last time , he had said he didnt want to run against them especially if it divided opinion in the county , he has not put his name in the hat for an inter county job since and is waiting to take over next

2 fitz wont get the backing of the full squad , why ? he left the post at the end of 2016 after asking the players to have a vote if they wanted a change or not they voted for a change i doubt they would be as quick to vote him back

3 transition , at some point over the next 3 or 4 years whoever gets the job next will have to oversee a transition of some sort this would not suite fitz who just wants to win , a number of players have already suffered burn out , i imagine players like kelly podge and galvin who have given so much to the county wont play too much hurling into there 30s john conlon is probably the first of our golden generation of u21 players to have hit the 30 mark lately

there is a fine bunch of kids on the way through ,we will probably see more of them at minor level next year ,including this year and last years u17s they are all about 5 years away from becoming intercounty hurlers

4 underage , his sidekick bruiser lynch is already in at u17 level as manager at the moment , dont be surprised if fitz takes up this role or u20s role first , from there he can implement his game plan early rather then waiting for them to come to him at senior level

as one high profile hurling man in the county put it , in ten years time we could have some of the best players in the country playing with two sweepers :rolleyes:

were safe at inter county level for the moment at senior level any way ;)

i rushed my post earlier today sorry , he is secretary and a whole lot more with it :rolleyes:

my belief is that this maybe gerry and donal's last year due to both having top jobs for the companies they both work for
    if it is there last it wont be junior that takes up the helm , here's why

1. anthony daly stepped aside from the process to allow gerry and donal get the gig the last time , he had said he didnt want to run against them especially if it divided opinion in the county , he has not put his name in the hat for an inter county job since and is waiting to take over next

2 fitz wont get the backing of the full squad , why ? he left the post at the end of 2016 after asking the players to have a vote if they wanted a change or not they voted for a change i doubt they would be as quick to vote him back

3 transition , at some point over the next 3 or 4 years whoever gets the job next will have to oversee a transition of some sort this would not suite fitz who just wants to win , a number of players have already suffered burn out , i imagine players like kelly podge and galvin who have given so much to the county wont play too much hurling into there 30s john conlon is probably the first of our golden generation of u21 players to have hit the 30 mark lately

there is a fine bunch of kids on the way through ,we will probably see more of them at minor level next year ,including this year and last years u17s they are all about 5 years away from becoming intercounty hurlers

4 underage , his sidekick bruiser lynch is already in at u17 level as manager at the moment , dont be surprised if fitz takes up this role or u20s role first , from there he can implement his game plan early rather then waiting for them to come to him at senior level

as one high profile hurling man in the county put it , in ten years time we could have some of the best players in the country playing with two sweepers :rolleyes:

were safe at inter county level for the moment at senior level any way ;)

I hope you’re right about your short term vision

Looking at the current Clare setup.

There's a group of 25/26 year olds that have won all Ireland's
    There's a potential group of under 15/16

Looking at the current Clare setup.

There's a group of 25/26 year olds that have won all Ireland's
    There's a potential group of under 15/16

in a nutshell yes , but i think it is slightly unfair on last years u17 team , a number of them are 18 this year and missed out on minor level with the change around , so i reckon they will make up a fairly competitive u20 team later in the year too

its no bad place to be in better then where we were this time 10 years ago , but a team of 25/26 year olds needs to be taken with a pinch of salt the likes of podge , tony kelly and shane o'donnell all fall into this bracket but are all coming close 10 inter county seasons , 2012 most of them made there debuts and have huge millage on the clock they already have 7 seasons of this level behind them , how much more can they give ?

Most of the current crop of players have over a decade of slogging done for Clare at this stage, they started at under 16 development, got to an All Ireland Minor, then to the under 21s and straight to seniors, lots of them have never had a summer holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Most of the current crop of players have over a decade of slogging done for Clare at this stage, they started at under 16 development, got to an All Ireland Minor, then to the under 21s and straight to seniors, lots of them have never had a summer holiday.

I'd agree with all that. McInerney has had his injuries aswell. But the fear with the 2013 crop was that they were fast ,quick stepping smallish guys. People like Podge and McGrath, Tots and the like. Those 'types' peak earlier. We see now that the 3of those guys best days are behind them. The likes of Conlon who relies on strength and even Duggan can play into their mid 30s in my opinion. The problem with Clare is that new additions to the panel seem to take 3 years to come good. In Limerick they are ready to go quicker...same with Cork. Theres a lack of development between 17 and 20 and that's an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

A huge week for our respective Clare inter-county teams. The minor footballers take on their Tipp counterparts in the Munster Phase 1 final on Wednesday with a place in Phase 2 against Cork and Kerry, up for grabs for the winners. Throw in at the Gaelic Grounds is at 7 pm.

On Saturday, the Clare senior footballers, take on Waterford at 7 pm. In relation to this match, any word on whether Sean O'Donoghue and Dermot Coughlan will be involved in the match day panel come Saturday? Will David Tubridy be ready for action after his recent injury?

Then on Sunday its the big one as the Clare senior hurlers take on Waterford at Walsh Park at 2pm. The minor hurlers also take on the Deise men, with throw-in at that match at 12 noon.

Best of luck to all teams. An Clar Abu!!

The O'Gorman Cup has turned into a complete farce. All 6 O'Gorman Cup matches scheduled for this past weekend have been cancelled for one reason or another. The football tournament which is for non-county players, clearly is not getting the support it deserves. The county board should do so much more to promote the competition but has turned a blind eye on it, yet again another damning indictment on the CCB's lack promotion of football in the county.

We hear of club managers telling the public the narrative that "we need more games for our club players". But it appears there is a lack of appetite from both the county board and the clubs to back this what I would consider to be a very good competition, to blood new players and get more games into club players, that are not part of the respective county panels.

I feel most sorry for the organizers of the O'Gorman Cup, who have done wonders with this tournament being here in the first place, without any help of our failed county board. But clubs also have to take their own responsibility too, by ensuring that they do field teams that are of a competitive nature of course. Another sign of our neglect of club football in the Banner county. Sad really and no sign of changing our poor approach to improving standards in Clare club football, any time soon, judging by events or in this case the lack of this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well out of the loop on all things Clare gaa the last few months. What’s the team that looks like taking the field on Sunday in Waterford??

Lots of so called experts either have us not getting out of Munster or else winning the all Ireland!!! Personally think we will do very well to get out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Well out of the loop on all things Clare gaa the last few months. What’s the team that looks like taking the field on Sunday in Waterford??

Lots of so called experts either have us not getting out of Munster or else winning the all Ireland!!! Personally think we will do very well to get out of Munster.

I'm hearing:

Touhy
    Patch - DMac - Morey
    Malone - Browne - Fitz
    Galvin - Golden
    Dugs - TK - Ryan
    SOD - Conlon - Podge

I think we are maybe even stronger than what we were last year from 8-15 with Ryan and Golden for Malone and Reidy. But our back line is weaker and unsettled. If we do go with the full back line above, it's the same one that played in 2017 that was shipping big scores per game. 3 good stickmen but I prefer man markers. We don't have a good back line tbh and it lacks discipline and depth down the center. Cleary is a loss, while O'Brien will miss this game, he would be a good man marker to have back there with Browne moving out.

I think if we have any chance we obviously need our big guns up front (especially Duggan, Kelly and Conlon) to fire. But we really need Davy Mc to come to play and impose himself on Bennett. If those 4 lads go well we have a chance. Malone will be probably follow Aussie everywhere.

Waterford favorites for me, but we can win if we perform.

letowski wrote: »
    I'm hearing:

Touhy
    Patch - DMac - Morey
    Malone - Browne - Fitz
    Galvin - Golden
    Dugs - TK - Ryan
    SOD - Conlon - Podge

I think we are maybe even stronger than what we were last year from 8-15 with Ryan and Golden for Malone and Reidy. But our back line is weaker and unsettled. If we do go with the full back line above, it's the same one that played in 2017 that was shipping big scores per game. 3 good stickmen but I prefer man markers. We don't have a good back line tbh and it lacks discipline and depth down the center. Cleary is a loss, while O'Brien will miss this game, he would be a good man marker to have back there with Browne moving out.

I think if we have any chance we obviously need our big guns up front (especially Duggan, Kelly and Conlon) to fire. But we really need Davy Mc to come to play and impose himself on Bennett. If those 4 lads go well we have a chance. Malone will be probably follow Aussie everywhere.

i have us down as the most consistent front 8 in the country , we were excellent in the league up front also , our discipline at the back killed us and in truth hid just how good we are going forward

i was told before the last game against waterford that the panel were just starting to work on a defensive system , down in waterford in the 1/4 final of the league we looked like a side that was trying a new system , something more akin to a challenge game then a full blown league knock out game and got slaughtered as a result

the one worry i had coming away that day as the pitch is very small , we struggled with our running off the shoulder game plan as waterford flooded the middle 3rd , they will have a lot of joy in this area of the pitch against both us and limerick at that venue

like cork last year in the first round if we lose it should be nothing to get excited about , limerick is our net away game which is home from home for us and we have an excellent record lately against them while i fancy our chances at home against an uneasy looking tipperary(they badly need a win in cork for confidence alone ) and i fancy us against cork in the last game , here's hoping it will see us through to the knock out rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

letowski wrote: »
    I'm hearing:

Touhy
    Patch - DMac - Morey
    Malone - Browne - Fitz
    Galvin - Golden
    Dugs - TK - Ryan
    SOD - Conlon - Podge

Not the worst team in the world but I’d imagine our bench isn’t the strongest now. Top 8 are excellent on paper at least but of course our backs are the issue. I like JB at center back actually. Been impressive for Ballyea in that position and with the pitch being quite narrow he might not be moved around as much.

Imagine it will be a very tight game and critical to both teams chances of progressing out of Munster. Might have to get GaaGo for this one as the Irish bar will have all the football on if day. Back to watch the Tipp game though.

The draws for the 2019 Clare GAA Club Championships will be made next Tuesday at Clareabbey at 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

For Clare to win Sunday. Discipline and shooting needs to improve. Since 2013 tackling has been very poor and didn't improve during league. Composure in front of goal has been another issue for Clare in big games over last 5 years, need to take simple scores especially from placed balls. Tony Kelly needs to have more impact in games. Should be in his prime now and needs to start dominating games.

The 2 main things for Clare to do to help them win is to cut down on the frees being given away and being missed, we're leaving 2/3 points off the board every game with misses or blocks and the disaster of our defence is well documented.

• Advertisement

i have us down as the most consistent front 8 in the country , we were excellent in the league up front also , our discipline at the back killed us and in truth hid just how good we are going forward

i was told before the last game against waterford that the panel were just starting to work on a defensive system , down in waterford in the 1/4 final of the league we looked like a side that was trying a new system , something more akin to a challenge game then a full blown league knock out game and got slaughtered as a result

the one worry i had coming away that day as the pitch is very small , we struggled with our running off the shoulder game plan as waterford flooded the middle 3rd , they will have a lot of joy in this area of the pitch against both us and limerick at that venue

like cork last year in the first round if we lose it should be nothing to get excited about , limerick is our net away game which is home from home for us and we have an excellent record lately against them while i fancy our chances at home against an uneasy looking tipperary(they badly need a win in cork for confidence alone ) and i fancy us against cork in the last game , here's hoping it will see us through to the knock out rounds

Good post and I understand where you are coming from. I disagree. If we lose in Waterford on Sunday it is panic time.
    Clare have a good recent record against Limerick. Have we better players and teamwork? No we dont ,so something has to give. Our backs are not as good as Limericks. Mark my words , Limerick are due a big game against Clare and I sure as hell dont want to rely on having to beat Limerick in the Cauldron that is the Gaelic grounds. Remember 96. They will target this game.
    Much better go into that game having points in the bag. I hate to say it but Clare havent delivered a trophy winning result since 2013. Couldn't beat a wavering Galway over two games....barely got over the line against Tipperary in Thurles..The usual result against Cork. Weve it all to do to get out of Munster. And this fortress Cusack Park rubbish. My God weve played one Championship season at home since 1993 and whilst winning both games it's hardly Galatasary.

The way the Munster championship is any team who lose is under pressure straight away, the fact that we have a break week in week 2 means if we lose this weekend we will be bottom of the table by the time our next game comes around and we'll have to win 2 of the remaining games to get through, might even need to win 3 or at least draw the other 1.

Waterford away in the first game is probably the most difficult game we could have, it's so far away with a 2 throw in means the team has to go down the night before, Waterford have also being playing competitive games up to the last day of March and have a huge advantage in a new ground. Saying all that, if we are to challenge for the championship we have to be beating last years bottom of the table team who were also the only Munster team in division 1B this year, we beat them by 9 points last year (thanks to a fortunate red card in my opinion), with Tipp and Cork coming to Cusack Park and being away to Limerick we don't have any easy game, if we lose this we're in trouble straight away.

In the weekend's other game, Clare should beat Waterford in Ennis on Saturday night, hopefully there will be a good crowd in for it, I for 1 am looking forward to it, it seems very early to have a championship weekend. You'd expect a division 2 team to beat a division 4 team easy enough but Keelan Sexton not being available is a huge loss to us.

The way the Munster championship is any team who lose is under pressure straight away, the fact that we have a break week in week 2 means if we lose this weekend we will be bottom of the table by the time our next game comes around and we'll have to win 2 of the remaining games to get through, might even need to win 3 or at least draw the other 1.

Waterford away in the first game is probably the most difficult game we could have, it's so far away with a 2 throw in means the team has to go down the night before, Waterford have also being playing competitive games up to the last day of March and have a huge advantage in a new ground. Saying all that, if we are to challenge for the championship we have to be beating last years bottom of the table team who were also the only Munster team in division 1B this year, we beat them by 9 points last year (thanks to a fortunate red card in my opinion), with Tipp and Cork coming to Cusack Park and being away to Limerick we don't have any easy game, if we lose this we're in trouble straight away.

I agree. It's a must win game. The last 3 games are just so tough. But at the same time it's great to have a quality team. Clare are a quality team.
    Just a minor thing but Limerick take the train everywhere. They are taking the train to Waterford the morning when they play them. It's about 2hrs 30 from Limerick and 3hrs from Ennis. It's the best way for a team to travel..you can walk around and no sudden braking. Might be better to stay in your own bed. I'm not a great hotel bed man myself. Feels good..but just cant relax as much as I would at home. You can stretch and have a wander on the Locomotive. I'm not sponsored by Iranrod Eireann by the way.

3 games in 3 weeks will be extremely tough but 2 of them are at home, if you don't win your home games you don't have a hope unfortunately.

Brilliant win for the Clare minor footballers against Tipp this evening, to give the Banner lads a chance to contest a third consecutive Munster final, as they take on Cork and Kerry in phase 2 of the Munster minor football championship. Any day you win by 15 points is a good day and once again the defense really stood up extremely well, with Michael Garry and Tadgh Lillis to the fore. Cillian McGroary was immense also, chipping in with 2 points. Brendan Rouine (1-1 in total) was outstanding, along with fellow Ennistymon man Eoin Rouine in the middle.

In attack all the forwards stood up. Dara Nagle and Diarmuid Fahy all got a goal that their fine efforts deserved. Jamie Stack and Shane Meehan were very much to the fore also. In general Clare played this possession game really well, and used the ball intelligently and credit for that goes to manager Dermot Coughlan for implementing a great defensive structure too.

Cork next Wednesday then for the Clare minors. A winnable game no doubt, if we were to come out on top, we will qualify for our third consecutive Munster minor football final and a place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals too. The Daryl Darcy cup will be with Clare tonight, but there is so much more possibilities where these impressive young men wearing saffron and blue could do. Roll on 7 days time. A good start to a big week for Clare GAA. HON THE BANNER!!!

Did Rory Hayes leave the panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭914

Sorry of this has been posted already. For anyone travelling from clare to waterford for the game sunday. Due to traffic and parking restrictions around Walah Park, Mount Sion GAA club which is less than a five minute walk to Walsh Park will have ample parking available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭914

Forgot to attach the photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Good win for the minors tonight. Donald Trump has posted a good report. But realistically it will be next Wednesday to find out how good they are. But they played well in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement