Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi PC on sale 4th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What difference does the 64bit make?

Allows you to use more than 4GB total memory; some programs run faster, e.g, encryption software designed for x64.

Main disadvantage is that slightly more memory is used.

It's still handy to have to start with, in case you upgrade your RAM, unless it's too much bother.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I got one of these in Limerick on the "Dublun" Road* at about 9:20 on the day. There didn't seem to be any panic. Also they appeared to have one of the quad pcs from the previous offer, most likely a return.

I havent had much time to play with it yet but I can tell you that this weeks PC has a Western Digital Caviar 1TB drive with 64MB cache, model: WD10EARS

* well, that's how they spell it on the receipt :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

nellyshark wrote: »
    Whats all this about keys? I *think* I just booted the cd and that was it, cant entirely remember tho!
    you could be right i did not get a chance to try yet. i just asssumed it would need a key.

How are you getting on with the 64 bit on 3 gigs of ram?

FWIW I got one of these in Limerick on the "Dublun" Road* at about 9:20 on the day. There didn't seem to be any panic. Also they appeared to have one of the quad pcs from the previous offer, most likely a return.

I havent had much time to play with it yet but I can tell you that this weeks PC has a Western Digital Caviar 1TB drive with 64MB cache, model: WD10EARS

* well, that's how they spell it on the receipt :rolleyes:
    wd are good aren't they? There is no brand of disk on my receipt?

• Advertisement

It uses the same key for both 32/64bit. Should be stuck to the computer itself.
    thanks it is. should have thought of that:o:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

They had 1 on the shelf at the checkout in the Trinity St shop in Wexford at 10am this morning. Box looked as if it was opened, so it may be a return

Just wondered how people are getting on with this as I have not had time to set up properly.

What is the 64 bit like?

If you reinstall the 32 bit from the disc are is the preinstalled crap still there. Might want to go with 32 bit but do not want to be uninstalling all that.

I find it very quiet anyway, that is good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

iamskippy wrote: »
    Just wondered how people are getting on with this as I have not had time to set up properly.

What is the 64 bit like?

If you reinstall the 32 bit from the disc are is the preinstalled crap still there. Might want to go with 32 bit but do not want to be uninstalling all that.

Install a 64bit OS to get the most out of this.

What is the 64 bit like?

Heres a benchmark comparison between 32bit and 64 bit. The 64 bit also has a 9500gt video card in it,hence the big difference between the graphics scores. But it fares very well in the CPU mark so its well worth putting the 64bit version on. It is a clean install of windows with none of the crapware.

benchmark.jpg

• Advertisement

Heres a benchmark comparison between 32bit and 64 bit. The 64 bit also has a 9500gt video card in it,hence the big difference between the graphics scores. But it fares very well in the CPU mark so its well worth putting the 64bit version on. It is a clean install of windows with none of the crapware.

benchmark.jpg
    Thanks for that. I have now installed the 64 bit. before i go loading all the programs i want i wondered about http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Says some avs may not run. Good to be rid of all that crap

Has anyone any problem with screensaver ubder 64 bit ? Mine says screen saver cannot run because it needs a newer video card or one that is compatible with direct3d.

Is blank or none ok?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Has anyone any problem with screensaver ubder 64 bit ? Mine says screen saver cannot run because it needs a newer video card or one that is compatible with direct3d.

Is blank or none ok?

Reload Direct X- should solve your problem.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Reload Direct X- should solve your problem.
    from where do i reload it?

from where do i reload it?

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx

Choose 'All Direct X downloads' then on the next page 'Direct X End-User Runtime'

etc......

Choose 'All Direct X downloads' then on the next page 'Direct X End-User Runtime'

etc......
    OK thanks ;)not online yet securing it first:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

any left?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

YNWA wrote: »
    any left?

Check your local stores, you might get lucky with a return, but as there was only something like 4 PC's per store is unlikely....

invest4deepvalue.com

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx

etc......
    Thanks I have installed that now and rebooted but i have the words "the screensaver cannot run etc" running as a screensaver!

Thanks I have installed that now and rebooted but i have the words "the screensaver cannot run etc" running as a screensaver!

Try downloading a free screensaver and try that out? Its a nice bit of experimentation!

• Advertisement

Try downloading a free screensaver and try that out? Its a nice bit of experimentation!
    well i would like to know if others have this on the 64 bit version? would it be the Aldi monitor?

So far I have found this PC to be fast and very quiet. The 210 graphics card does seem to be the weakest link.
    I put 64bit OS on too and have not had any problem with the screensaver
    I'm amazed at how little info is in the manual, not even a spec sheet of any kind.

So far I have found this PC to be fast and very quiet. The 210 graphics card does seem to be the weakest link.
    I put 64bit OS on too and have not had any problem with the screensaver
    I'm amazed at how little info is in the manual, not even a spec sheet of any kind.
    There is a freefone number on the back of the manual, they might hvae a spec sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

If you do have an older PC to get rid of, don't forget www.Camara.ie - they recondition older spec PCs and send them to Africa to be used in schools;

http://camara.ie/web/pc-recycling/

well i would like to know if others have this on the 64 bit version? would it be the Aldi monitor?

Its definitively not the monitor.
    The 64 bit version of the operating system does break a number of apps- which is most probably the issue. the link to the Microsoft site earlier in this thread goes into more details.

Its definitively not the monitor.
    The 64 bit version of the operating system does break a number of apps- which is most probably the issue. the link to the Microsoft site earlier in this thread goes into more details.
    I have it now there was an update due for the video card.. Thanks for your help.
    Edit: posting this edit from it now

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Does any webcam work with this comp on 64 bit?

nellyshark wrote: »
    Does any webcam work with this comp on 64 bit?

I've a cheap piece of crap webcam that I got in Tesco for a tenner working on 64 bit Windows Ultimate here (not the Aldi PC). Its all to do with drivers (and the applications you're using with the webcam). There should be no issue using even older webcams with the Aldi PC or any other PC using 64 bit Windows- if you do hit problems- choose to install the webcam in 'compatability mode' (where it uses drivers designed for previous versions of Windows).

S.

I'm still very happy with this PC, it's fast and quiet.
    I did notice that when I went to install an old-type PCI card (extra USB controller) that it almost completely obscured the air intake of the power supply. The case itself has no outlet fan although there is space for a 9cm(?) fan. I couldn't see any spare fan headers on the Mobo although I didn't spend all day looking TBH.
    I ended up leaving the card out.
    If I need to put the card back in later, could anyone suggest the best way to connect up a case fan?
    Just FYI there is space and an available power supply for a second disk drive and as far as I could see, one free SATA port on the Mobo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Anybody else getting STOP 0x0000007A and STOP 0x000000F4 BSOD. I have had more than I like and applied a hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/ but that hasnt solved anything?

Any solutions?

Advertisement