Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi PC on sale 4th Feb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

jimogr wrote: »
    What is the build quality like on these MEDIONs?

In general how noisy are they?

How much of a deal is this?
    +1 anyone know about noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jackeen63

See they also give recovery dvd's unlike other manufacturers.

There is also a windows dvd. Does that mean you could install windows alone rather than all the programs that are preinstalled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You can carry sound via hdmi but you have to set it specifically via the sounds area in the Control Panel. The spec would suggest that does not have a hdmi out though...

The medion stuff is ok as its comes with a three year warranty - which realistically is what these things last if you run them day and night. The dell standard desktop is rumoured to have a life of 12 hours a day x 6 years or 24 hours a day x 3 years.

Saying that I bought a median 42 inch plasma from aldi back in the day and it died 6 months out of warranty. The cost to fix it was €500 exactly the same as a 1080p Samsung 32inch I had my eye on so I bought that instead.

Put it this way aldi have an external 500gb drive at the moment and I would not be relying on it to store the pictures of the kids for any length of time without some other form of backup.

Will Windows mail work with windows 7? I do not like windows livemail and want to uninstall it and have win mail or even outlook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Just a warning about buying in aldi.

They tend to have very limited stock in some stores, and a lot of people queue hoping to get one.
    Then they open the door, and say anyone who has a ticket can buy one, other wise, sorry.

I suggest you contact your local aldi store if you intend to buy one and ask how many they are getting, how they will be sold, and if they are running a ticket/hold for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

kmick wrote: »
    Saying that I bought a median 42 inch plasma from aldi back in the day and it died 6 months out of warranty. The cost to fix it was €500 exactly the same as a 1080p Samsung 32inch I had my eye on so I bought that instead.

You know you are covered for up to 6 years in Irish law right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

ch750536 wrote: »
    You know you are covered for up to 6 years in Irish law right?

Can you provide more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

It’s just going to be the same as last pc they will get maybe 20. Ten of those will go to staff and staff friends. Then there will be ten left if you’re lucky. Advertising an item and plastering in every newspaper going. Then have ten or sometimes even less in stock is ridiculous and should be considered as false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

iamskippy wrote: »
    Will Windows mail work with windows 7? I do not like windows livemail and want to uninstall it and have win mail or even outlook

I doubt it, but just use Thunderbird 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i bought one few years back
    generally quite noisey

but i like the humming sound
    puts me to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    that depends entirely on the graphics card and not the OS.

also, im not sure i3 is going to be any good for gaming.
    that said, expect to buy a 2gb ram chip and not 1gb, if you plan to upgrade to 4gb's for gaming, because its going to be in a 1x1024mb + 1x2048mb array, and the i3 is dual channel.

as with the last aldi pc, if you're looking to do some gaming, you'll need to buy a new graphics card (possibly a new PSU too), because the G210 is going to be useless.

The i3 has been reviewed and is very good for gaming.

3 gigs of ram is still more than enough for games.

There are new ATI cards, 5670 and 5750 which have a very low power draw compared to other similarly performing cards, therefore literally no need for a new power supply unit (assuming that the medion has a 300 watt PSU)

Even the 5770 will run on a 300 watt PSU, although its not recommended.

What this means is that you can buy this PC, then spend 80 to 150 euros on a graphics card and be able to play most games very well.

Disclaimer: if you are a super nerd enthusiast who needs to run GTA4 or Crysis on ultra high res with super high frames then .. not this PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Yeah just to add to all those people going on about sound over hdmi.

Unfortunately only very few Nvidia cards support Sound over hdmi and pretty much every AMD card does.

So, I'm 90% sure this pc will not support sound over hdmi and you'd be looking to install an AMD card to do this, something like a 4350 would suffice for around€25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

madmoe wrote: »
    Exactly lads. The 802.11 N support would make up for no USB 3.0 but it would be nice to have at least one USB 3.0 in there....

From what ive learned nothing is fully ultilizing the speeds of USB2 so why would you want USB3??

projectgtr wrote: »
    From what ive learned nothing is fully ultilizing the speeds of USB2 so why would you want USB3??

Nothing is fully utilising the speed of sata 2, not usb 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

projectgtr wrote: »

You might want to do a bit more learning.

HappyHarry wrote: »
    You might want to do a bit more learning.

Well it's hard to keep up with everthing
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/186566/usb_30_finally_arrives.html

Nice article here though.

Should Make sure everyone knows here though that this is not usb 3,

The Aldi pc is usb 2.

Not that big of a deal IMO unless of course you'll be doing a lot of data transfers on new high speed drives

Effluo wrote: »
    Yeah just to add to all those people going on about sound over hdmi.

Unfortunately only very few Nvidia cards support Sound over hdmi and pretty much every AMD card does.

So, I'm 90% sure this pc will not support sound over hdmi and you'd be looking to install an AMD card to do this, something like a 4350 would suffice for around€25.
    Does that mean there would not be sound on the monitor or does that only apply in games? I am hoping to get the aldi monitor too. Will I have sound on it?

Does that mean there would not be sound on the monitor or does that only apply in games? I am hoping to get the aldi monitor too. Will I have sound on it?

Well there are speakers on the monitor, however it says nothing about a hdmi connection.

Either way it will most probably have an analogue sound in connection with bundled vga cable and most likely a cable to connect the sound too, so it's probable that you'll be able to play sound through the monitor using an extra cable(which will prob be bundled with the monitor).
    Although I can assure you it will not be over hdmi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It has all that here you are:

• Powerful Intel® Core® i3-530 processor (2.93 GHz, 4 MB Intel® Smart cache, Intel® Hyper-Threading-Technology)
    • Powerful NVIDIA® GeForce® G210 DirectX® 10 graphics card with 512 MB graphic memory and D-Sub VGA, DVI-I and HDMI interface (HDCP support)
    • Massive 3 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    • Large 1 TB (1000 GB) S-ATA hard disk for more than 200,000 music title or photos1.
    • Multiformat DVD/CD burner2 supports all the usual DVD/CD standards, incl. dual layer DVD-R and DVD+R
    • High speed Wireless LAN 802.11 n-Standard with up to 300 Mbit/s. 802.11 b/g compatible3.
    • Network Controller Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s.)
    • IEEE1394 FireWire on board
    • eSATA connection for connecting external SATA devices
    • 8 channel high definition audio4
    • Multi Card Reader reads and writes all current flash memory cards5
    • PS/2 keyboard and optical USB mouse
    • Connections:
      Front: Multi Card Reader, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x Microphone, 1 x Headphone, 1 x eSATA
      Rear: 2 x PS/2, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 x FireWire, 1 x LAN (RJ-45), 1 x Front line out, 1 x Rear line out, 1 x Subwoofer/Centre out 1 x Surround out, 1 x Line in, 1 x SPDIF optical out
    • Comprehensive software package with original Windows® 7 Home Premium (OEM versions)
      and much more…

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    Well there are speakers on the monitor, however it says nothing about a hdmi connection.
    you mean no hdmi on the monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lads, how come this is €499.99 rather than 450€ as in the OP?

OP , are you sure that the flyer in the rte guide says 450€? If so, turn up with that one and they'd have to give it to you for 450€ surely. They must have though, they can eek out an extra 50€ profit and no-one would notice

you mean no hdmi on the monitor?

yes

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Lads, how come this is €499.99 rather than 450€ as in the OP?

OP , are you sure that the flyer in the rte guide says 450€? If so, turn up with that one and they'd have to give it to you for 450€ surely. They must have though, they can eek out an extra 50€ profit and no-one would notice

http://aldi.medion.com/md8341/ie/?refPage=aldi 449.99E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Odd

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2718.htm?WT.z_src=main

Went to that exact page just before i posted that i swear it said 499.99€ back then, the must have rectified it! :)

EDIT: Hold on go here: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week05Thursday10.htm

Still looks like €499.99 to me! bu that obviously is just a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

@madmoe You could always add a USB 3 card if you have something to use it with....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dxhound2003

If this is Medion.com it is probably Sterling price ?

If this is Medion.com it is probably Sterling price ?
    can't be 449 stg as that would make it around 500e, definately is 449 in ireland http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week05Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Still looks like €499.99 to me! bu that obviously is just a mistake![/QUOTE]

It's a typo, it says 499 in the white on red, but says 449 directly below in black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dxhound2003

I was wrong about Sterling, link here from Aldi UK has it for £400. They managed to use the £ sign, I wonder why the Irish one doesn't use €.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week05Thursday10.htm

Advertisement