Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi PC on sale 4th Feb

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think its quiet but you mightn't, noise can be a personal thing.
    I think it was a good deal indeed but a bit of a sore point on boards due to number of PCs available in store.
    I'm onto my third Aldi/Medion as I find them excellent builds with 3 year warranty (which I've never needed)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Looking into getting this machine what time would you need to be outside the shop for 8am??? Or even earlier.

What time did the people who got the last one have to be there for???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Looking into getting this machine what time would you need to be outside the shop for 8am??? Or even earlier.

What time did the people who got the last one have to be there for???

You need one of these and get there around 5! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dannyo666

Anyone from cork should come to the Cobh Aldi,I got the one and only Aldi PC last time(about 1 month ago),i went down at 8:55,no queue or anything,i was the only one in the shop for a good 15 mins while i was waiting for the girl to get the PC and even then i didnt see anyone ask for the PC.Might be worth someones while to think about coming down here,they might only have 1 or 2 but you have a way better chance of getting one then anywhere else and if you queued at say 8:45 i would say you have a 100% chance of getting one,just speaking from my own experiance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

I got one of the previous aldi PC's in tullamore a day or two after the offer, and they had a few left. Pure jammy, didnt realise they were in such demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dxhound2003

So they sent 8 or 10 ? to Tullamore and weren't able to sell them all and they only sent 3 to Dundalk (between 2 shops) and annoyed loads of people. They haven't got a clue. Dundalk population over 30,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

iamskippy wrote: »
    not saying much tbh. schoolboy could have written that. i want specs on the MB and PSU!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    not saying much tbh. schoolboy could have written that. i want specs on the MB and PSU!

Its probably a gigabyte board (ok bios settings, but it really is the cheapest board on the market at moment) and if you're lucky a reasonably efficient 500 Watt PSU (I'd like to imagine it has removable modular cabling, but I guess it may be a pipe dream.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Anyone know if this has stereo mix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its probably a gigabyte board (ok bios settings, but it really is the cheapest board on the market at moment) and if you're lucky a reasonably efficient 500 Watt PSU (I'd like to imagine it has removable modular cabling, but I guess it may be a pipe dream.......)

A modular PSU? What are you smoking smmcarrick! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

I've had a couple of Aldi PCs over the years and they were all MSI motherboards.
    I got the one I'm using now after xmas in dundalk, only 1 in the store and it too has a MSI board.

adcrawley wrote: »
    I've had a couple of Aldi PCs over the years and they were all MSI motherboards.
    I got the one I'm using now after xmas in dundalk, only 1 in the store and it too has a MSI board.

In which case its probably the MSI H55-E33 motherboard- possibly the H55-E33M?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Does anyone know why it comes with 3GB of Ram? Presumeably whatever mobo is in it will support dual channel RAM?
    In the very unlikely event I got my hands on one of these and wanted to get another 3GB of RAM to make it dual channel would I have to try to get the same brand of RAM as is already in there?
    Thanks.

Does anyone know why it comes with 3GB of Ram? Presumeably whatever mobo is in it will support dual channel RAM?
    In the very unlikely event I got my hands on one of these and wanted to get another 3GB of RAM to make it dual channel would I have to try to get the same brand of RAM as is already in there?
    Thanks.

Its probably the 32bit operating version of Windows 7- so when you factor the graphics memory into the equation- the system can't address more than the 3Gb. Most systems would normally put 4Gb in Dual channel in, regardless, but its a cost saving here. Given the vast improvement in memory management with the memory controller onchip- its not going to make much of a difference one way or the other.

Re: getting another 3Gb- you'd then need the 64Bit version of the operating system (its actually not clear which version is on it). You would need either identical memory- or else memory with the same timings (and hope for the best) if you wanted to maximise its potential. Wouldn't necessarily have to be the same brand- the chipset and timings would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Desn't seem to be any video outputs, HDMI/VGA/HDMI etc on the IO panel as pictured on the medion website. That would seem to indicate that a P55 board is used and possibly explains why they've included the graphics card.
    In which case its probably the MSI H55-E33 motherboard- possibly the H55-E33M?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Posting from the PC now :D

Seen as they made such a balls of the last pc on sale which i wanted i persisted and had the pc on sale tmoro held.

So far,

Comparable to my 9 yr old pc it is very quiet and quick
    Still getting used to Windows 7
    Did an install of 64bit (dont know why, i read it in another thread and just decided to do it)

It comes with 32 and 64 bit and some sort of recovery cd

Any questions shout and ill do my best to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

nellyshark wrote: »

Do you know how many each branch will have tomorrow?

invest4deepvalue.com

mgadget wrote: »
    Desn't seem to be any video outputs, HDMI/VGA/HDMI etc on the IO panel as pictured on the medion website.
    there is one hdmi as far as i recall from the specs
    That would seem to indicate that a P55 board is used and possibly explains why they've included the graphics card.
    What is the significance of a P55 board? Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

H55 has video outputs on the board which will use the inbuilt graphics chip on the intel i3 CPU. P55 has no video outputs, the graphics chip on the intel processor is redundant and a graphics card must be used for video output. The included G210 graphics card has the necessary video outputs.
    there is one hdmi as far as i recall from the specs

What is the significance of a P55 board? Is that good or bad?

• Advertisement

Posting from the PC now :D

Seen as they made such a balls of the last pc on sale which i wanted i persisted and had the pc on sale tmoro held.

So far,

Comparable to my 9 yr old pc it is very quiet and quick
    Still getting used to Windows 7
    Did an install of 64bit (dont know why, i read it in another thread and just decided to do it)

It comes with 32 and 64 bit and some sort of recovery cd

you have it? Nice one.

There is an hdmi output? There are restore disks? A Windows Disk? How quite is very quiet? Is there an email prog if so which one

Do-more wrote: »
    Do you know how many each branch will have tomorrow?

No I dont, but from my calls with Head Office and Area Managers it seems to be agreed that they ballsed up expectation of previous pc so id expect there would be a few more than 2 but I dont know tbh

you have it? Nice one.

There is an hdmi output? There are restore disks? A Windows Disk? How quite is very quiet? Is there an email prog if so which one
    There is an hdmi output?

I am not sure what hdmi is but on the setting up components leaflet step 1 is
    Connect the signal cable of your monitor either to the VGA (Q), the HDMI (M) or the DVI (Q) connection of your PC. (Please read the operating manual for your monitor)
    There are restore disks? A Windows Disk?

There are 4 physical disks provided:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Windows 7 32 bit
    Microsoft Works 9
    A cd entitled "Application & Support disc" when booted from cd has something about rescue in it
    How quite is very quiet?
    Unable to answer this really. My previous pc was very noisy and this pc is the opposite, so much so i miss the noise and wonder whether it is doing anything. A cd inserted in my other would be like a vacuuum type noise, this pc is just like the cd twirling
    Is there an email prog if so which one
    Upon booting the pc i installed 64 bit but I dont rem seeing any email prog

I am not sure what hdmi is but on the setting up components leaflet step 1 is

There are 4 physical disks provided:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Windows 7 32 bit
    Microsoft Works 9
    A cd entitled "Application & Support disc" when booted from cd has something about rescue in it

Unable to answer this really. My previous pc was very noisy and this pc is the opposite, so much so i miss the noise and wonder whether it is doing anything. A cd inserted in my other would be like a vacuuum type noise, this pc is just like the cd twirling

Upon booting the pc i installed 64 bit but I dont rem seeing any email prog
    Ok thanks, good luck with it.
    PS what is the keyboard like? Are all the keys flush or is it one where they sort of stand alone

mgadget wrote: »
    H55 has video outputs on the board which will use the inbuilt graphics chip on the intel i3 CPU. P55 has no video outputs, the graphics chip on the intel processor is redundant and a graphics card must be used for video output. The included G210 graphics card has the necessary video outputs.
    Says HDMI at
    http://aldi.medion.com/md8341/ie/?refPage=aldi

As it has 2 windows disks would that mean that it could be wiped and windows installed alone without the extra software like the bullguard av which i do not intend to use as i have a sub paid on nav 09 for 3 pcs and its on 2

As it has 2 windows disks would that mean that it could be wiped and windows installed alone without the extra software like the bullguard av which i do not intend to use as i have a sub paid on nav 09 for 3 pcs and its on 2

There was a pile on sh!t preloaded so I just clean installed 64 bit so i guess yeah, there was nothing on the 64 bit so I installed my regulars.

Lol you would swear I knew what I was talking about :D

There was a pile on sh!t preloaded so I just clean installed 64 bit so i guess yeah, there was nothing on the 64 bit so I installed my regulars.
    usually is a load of crap preinstalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tom747

hi all , could you change the graphic card for a geforce 9800gt 1 gig. it uses less power then the one installed and i have one sitting around here some where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Could you please check if it has Stereo Mix?... if you dont know how to find that right click the sound icon and click Recording Devices then you should see Stereo Mix and if not try right clicking to show disabled and disconnected devices to see if it comes up then.. would really much appreciate it... as i need a new pc but it must have stereo mix... thanks :)

Advertisement