Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl XLIV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

wow its all finished by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

I think the reference is to the regular season game where they rested players when they could have gone for the perfect season.

Not so much a problem for me the colts have always done that at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

ccosgrave wrote: »
    What happened vs the Jets?

They were 14-0 and winning vs the Jets when they took off most of their whole first team and basically threw the game and a chance for the perfect season because they wanted everyone rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

What a game, really enjoyable, so glad the Saints won. Some really gutsy play calling and rewarded well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hey guys! There were very few flags thrown during this SB game. But better yet, we just played the biggest game of our season's end, with plenty of excitement in the 2nd half, and there was not one reported post with 84 users viewing or posting to our American Football forum. You guys are real sportsmen and sportswomen, who can make this the best forum on boards.ie!

Ah sure tis all down to the moderators. :D

Nice to see a new name on Vince.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I have to say guys great being with yis for the game

all being well I will be involved from the start next year

my best American rugby memories is from the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Karlusss wrote: »
    Saints DST to score (11/4)
    Peyton Manning to score (13/2)
    Saints to beat +17.5 (2/11)
    Saints to beat +10.5 (2/5)
    aaaaaaand
    Colts to win (10/21)

Win, lose, win, win, lose.

That Saints DST one worked out pretty well though, put me into a little bit of profit.

Excellent game. I feel bad for Peyton, not that Peyton needs anyone to feel bad for him. Hard being the favourite all your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

jasonb wrote: »
    One last comment, I do wish Cecil would shut the hell up. He's added nothing in terms of insights, just lots of cliche and hyperbole!

Time for bed, great to see an exciting, close ( 'til the Int ) game...

J.

+1.

Really wish Shaun Gayle would come back - always get quality commentary from Shaun.

On the plus side Jeff Rheinbold always good as a studio analyst - just needs to get better working the telestrator!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

September seems like forever away!! Packers ftw!!!

Roll on the World Cup!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Delighted for New Orleans :)

Great game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Delighted for the Saints. I actually tipped them on another forum to win and Brees to go MVP but didn't put my money where my mouth was. Damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Had Brees for MVP at 4/1! Happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I coldn't be happier.

Most on here know I've been a Saints fan as long as I've been into the NFL

Great, great, great night

Drew Brees is an absolute hero, and Payton's play calling is the stuff of legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Delighted...its tremendous for New Orleans

Unbelieveable game, i have the upmost respect for the Saints, big underdogs but they went out, showed heart, bravery and won the game because they wanted it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Just want to say, I am absolutely savagely gutted. But hats off to New Orleans, and Drew Brees. Perhaps the greatest QB performance in a Super Bowl ever.
    It hurts really, really deeply. But in my heart of hearts I knew the saints O was good enough to do this.

Congratulations.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Commiserations to davejose, top Colts fan. And to all other Colts fans on here who I've forgotton. That loss will drive Manning to win more rings and play to 40 no doubt in my mind.

Take solace in that the Saints won that one with gutsy calls and defence. They made the plays and calls which a lot of teams wouldn't have gone for.

Man I wish I was in New Orleans right now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

davyjose wrote: »
    hats off to New Orleans, and Drew Brees. Perhaps the greatest QB performance in a Super Bowl ever.
    It hurts really, really deeply. But in my heart of hearts I knew the saints O was good enough to do this.

Agreed about Brees being superb. But... it was Saints D who won it! Incredible stuff from them, particularly in the 4th.

Actually an all round performance, special teams did brilliantly also, great FGs and onside kick.

That's the thing, it was simply a great Superbowl, best I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Absolutely top notch entertainment tonight. I was shouting for the Saints but I honestly didnt fancy them. Totally underestimated Sean Payton, some unbelievable calls, and Brees played a stormer.

Roll on September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Absolutely delighted that the Saints won.

My mate put 50 on them to win the superbowl back in September. Can't remember the odds but were something ridiculous. Jammy bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Saints coaching won it. A series of great calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I couldn't hack all the ads, so I'll catch the game when I can get highlights somewhere.

I like the game and I understand it fine, although I don't pretend to know the tactical intricacies involved but the ads every few minutes was just too much for me.

Saw bits of the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Half-time show was great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I am so happy the Saints have won, only been a Saints fan 4 years, I feel so happy for Saints fans who have waited years for this. Who Dats are the best fans and now we have the best team, amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I am so happy the Saints have won, only been a Saints fan 4 years, I feel so happy for Saints fans who have waited years for this. Who Dats are the best fans and now we have the best team, amazing.

They are the best fans dude. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Delighted to see a new name on the trophy. Don't like the Colts or Manning so happy no glory for them this year. It's the simple things... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Saw all the 1st half and I must say I was surprised to hear this morning that the Colts lost, I thought they played very well in the 1st half, even ran the ball well, but they either must have fallen apart or the Saints D played REALLY well, anyways I guess one man "can't" carry a team and fair play to the Saints (especially as it was extra emotional for them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Only managed to watch the 1st half (stupid work wouldnt give me today off) but I have to say Im surprised to see the colts not win this one. I tghought each teams 1st drive was going to sum up the game.. Saints 3 and out and the colts drive into FG range. How wrong was I!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Dodge wrote: »
    Saints coaching won it. A series of great calls

Their video analysis won it for them, they had seen how the Colts went to that play (the play that Manning was intercepted on), Porter copped it and made the
    move that sealed the win

Found this interesting story online about Porter, that he missed the team bus getting his hair cut :D

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/07/tracy-porter-saints-defense-make-play-of-the-year/?icid=main|main|dl1|link1

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Super game I thought. I haven't watched the superbowl complete in a fair few years but I was glad I atched all this one. Brees was greatand fully deserving of the MVP award

Play of the match was the 2 pointer catch and turn in mid air to get the score. Amazing play by Moore.

Some recored broken that I saw was the most combined yards on offense?
    Three FGs over 40 yards scored. Brees equals Tom Brady for completed passes (32) I would have loved to see Brees throw a couple more with 50 secs to go at the end, just to break the record.

Brady was 32/48, but Drew was 32/39...better % rate for Drew

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Amazing to think how far the Saints have come in the last few years. Just to think in 2005 they finished 3-13 and we're the league whipping boys. And now they're World Champions. I love how the NFL springs suprises with the smaller teams springing up and challenging the more traditional powerhouses. Last year we saw the Cardinals nearly win the SB against the Steelers and now the Saints beat the Colts. Obviously the Saints have progressed in the last few years, winning the NFC South a few times but I never really saw them winning the big one. But i'm glad I was wrong!!

So to keep with the current trend of emerging teams, Texans for Vince '10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

watched my first super bowl last night , first time really to watch the game , enjoyed it and was glad to see the saints win .

Advertisement