Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl XLIV

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

So who is lift Vince in Miami ??

Who is going to win Superbowl XLIV ? 32 votes

Colts
    0% 0 votes
    Saints
    100% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

After last night's games you'd have to fancy the Colts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Well, I gotta say, the Jets would have beaten either side last night. I don't want to sound cocky or presumptious, but if that's the best the NFC can do, Colts will carve them up.

Having said that, i think we will see a sharper Saints in 2 weeks, so who knows? But even if Saints do come out and play, as long as our D holds up, we'll just about win IMO.

Also, why the anonymous poll? c'mon guys, last game of the season, nail your colours to the mast. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I dont think it will be a close one. IMO Manning will show why he's being considered the best QB ever in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I thought the difference between both teams after the game was interesting. It was clear Indy and Manning in particular didn't give a crap about the trophy or celebrating the AFC championship. They have 1 goal, to win the Superbowl. Nothing else matters.

The Saints on the other hand were ecstatic and just seem happy to be going. Some part of it is due to how both games turned out, of course, but I think for New Orleans it's more of an experience and they may not want quite it as much as the Colts. In anyway if they play like they did they have no chance. They need a repeat of their performance vs Arizona to have a chance.

I am going to say Colts by 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I have to say the colts look very impressive,

but history has shown us the underdogs can pull off the biggest of upset,

if the Colts offense don't get firing early on they could be in trouble and it sometimes can take them the best part of the first Quarter to get going,

I just hope its not a rout for the colts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

cooker3 wrote: »
    I thought the difference between both teams after the game was interesting. It was clear Indy and Manning in particular didn't give a crap about the trophy or celebrating the AFC championship. They have 1 goal, to win the Superbowl. Nothing else matters.

The Saints on the other hand were ecstatic and just seem happy to be going. Some part of it is due to how both games turned out, of course, but I think for New Orleans it's more of an experience and they may not want quite it as much as the Colts. In anyway if they play like they did they have no chance. They need a repeat of their performance vs Arizona to have a chance.

I am going to say Colts by 10.
    i noticed tht myself man, thought maybe I was just being smug.

But in fairness to the Saints, this was much, much different to the Colts' situation. This was the biggest win in the city's history, it was a game they looked certain to lose at one point, and coming a mere four years after that exact stadium was used to house thousands of people (refugees in the richest country on earth) gave it a level of emotion lucas oil was never gonna match.

Having said that, the element of it being "their final" is one worth thinking about. I know Peyton Manning has forgotten the Jets game already, has Drew Brees forgotten last night yet?

You never forget your first time;). He's lost is nfc champ virginity:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dont know about the confidence for the Colts here. I wouldnt say they were exactly convincing in either game. Granted, their second half performance against hte Jets was excellent, but they really struggled to move in the first half, and the late TD kept them right in it. It took Manning longer than the usual first quarter to figure out the defence. And for as much as the Jets blitzed, they didnt ever really get near Manning.

Saints on the other hand are targetting QB's. Absolutly clear as day they are out to hit them, and hit them hard. They do cross the line too in foul play.

Colts defence eventually got on top of Sanchez, but they have been up against 2 young QB's and havent had the test of someone like Brees in the playoffs, whereas the Sainst have had challenges against Favre and Warner.

I actually thought Brees made a point of saying the job isnt done yet in his post game speech. He said it 2 or 3 times, about how they have to go to Miami and finish it. But it is a valid point that they could have played their final, much like Arizona last year? And look how that turned out, only seconds away from winning it.

I still think colts are the favorites, but I certainly wouldnt be putting my house on it, nor would I see any reason to be so confident inthem to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

much as I hate to say it.. this will be Manning and the Colts' year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

bruschi wrote: »
    but they really struggled to move in the first half, and the late TD kept them right in it. It took Manning longer than the usual first quarter to figure out the defence. And for as much as the Jets blitzed, they didnt ever really get near Manning.

But... that's the point! That's exactly why the Colts are so good. The Jets (number 1 D in the league) smothered them in the 1st half. The Colts probed, gathered info, exposed weaknesses and then adjusted. In the second half, the Colts dominated. It took them one half of football to dissect the best D in the NFL... and that's, as you put it, 'longer than usual'.

As for the Saints targeting QBs - they certainly targeted Brett. And a good call it was too. I don't think that tactic will be as effective vs the best QB in the league against the blitz. It could be a bad idea. In fact, I remember Pittsburgh took the Colts apart in the Conference finals a few years back by NOT blitzing. Colts max-protected a lot, leaving less receivers in the pattern for Pittsburgh to cover. Masterstroke.

The Pats beat them a while ago too - not by blitzing or roughing up Manning - by using seemingly random patterns of presnap movement so that he didn't have a clue what coverage they were in.

Manning's weakness, if he has one, is his analytical mind. If you can confuse him, you can (maybe) beat him. If you blitz him, he'll find a single-covered receiver and skin you all day.

With all that said... I don't have a clue who will win this game! They're both incredible teams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Lothaar v2 wrote: »

With all that said... I don't have a clue who will win this game! They're both incredible teams.

and that was my point too! I dont see where the over confidence is coming from Colts fans!

agree with your point on Manning. he seems to freak out a bit too much and want to change plays too much when he lines up and sees the defence formation. altho in saying that, its not exactly much of a criticism seeing as he works it so well. would agree that changing defence fronts and showing him different looks is the best way to get at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Right.

It's a bit like Madden, actually. Best way to beat the Colts is to keep audibling on D and changing up what you're doing presnap. Even flipping from a basic blitz to a basic zone coverage will give him fits, but your D still ends up in a decent play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I hope the Saints bring something special to Florida but I can't see them doing the colts judging by last weekends preformance. The Colts O is just awe inspiring at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

this will come down to 2 things. who runs the ball better and creates the turnovers. simpe right. the have thomas and bush. both are good runners, thomas is better imo, and both can go for big gains. and as we saw against the vikes and their 13 wins, they creeate turnovers. +24 diff if i remember right. and they can get to the quarter back.

that is why i'm picking the saints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I think the Saints could do it. They weren't playing there best against the Vikings, I know they can do better then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

I'm gonna go for the Saints in a shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm gonna say the...........Colts, simply because of Manning. When he adjusts into a game, he gets into the swing of things, its 110% concentration, and he just gets the job done, alot might depend on the Colts D, as the Saints have a 'fairly good' Offence. I'm hoping for a 'gunfight', lets say..........52-45 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I think a pole for overtime would of come out on top looking at the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Id say its 65-35 in favour of the Colts to win...so c'mon Saints!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Im picking the Saints only because Im a Pats fan. But I do see the Colts winning it :( I will say I do have massive amount of respect for Manning. Not all us Pats fans hate him. As a player and a coach of the game I have every respect for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

davyjose wrote: »
    Also, why the anonymous poll? c'mon guys, last game of the season, nail your colours to the mast. ;)

well I think the Colts will win so voted for them but I WANT the Saints to win. How much of boost to the whole New Orleans would it be and fair play to Brees after last seasons run of 400yrd games I tipped them to get to the Superbowl this season but after seeing Manning against the Jets and how unresponsive and unimpressive the Saints will be I think the Colts will edge it by 10..... 34-24

altho the Saints have nothing to loose now so they'll go out and give it a goo going so never know what can happen with the match-ups on match day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'll be supporting the Saints, like most neutrals I guess. If they can pressure Manning effectively they have a great shot. I expect them to be able to run well against the Colts but need to pass to stay in touch. Just have a nagging feeling this is the Colts year. :mad:

undIsolde wrote: »
    I'll be supporting the Saints, like most neutrals I guess. If they can pressure Manning effectively they have a great shot. I expect them to be able to run well against the Colts but need to pass to stay in touch. Just have a nagging feeling this is the Colts year. :mad:
    Well thats the big question. I think the vikings would have had a much better chance against the colts. I don't think teh saints will be able to put enough pressure on manning with just the d line and will need to bring 6 or 7 into the box to do it. Which will then leave single coverage and manning doesnt mind who he throws it to, he doesnt have a favourite receiver. I just can't see what the saints will be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Well thats the big question. I think the vikings would have had a much better chance against the colts. I don't think teh saints will be able to put enough pressure on manning with just the d line and will need to bring 6 or 7 into the box to do it. Which will then leave single coverage and manning doesnt mind who he throws it to, he doesnt have a favourite receiver. I just can't see what the saints will be able to do.

Well that is the paradox if they bring in extra pressure they will leave gaps and single coverage for Manning to exploit. Also people dont forget that the Colts are a great running team aswell so its swings and roundabouts really.

But, the Saints have to trust their D-Line and also trust Brees to throw the ball from the start and mix it up so they dont rely on set patterns and routes.

It has the potential to be as nail-bitingly climatic as last year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

saint's by 46.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I'm surprised so many are picking the Saints. I just think Indy has more of an advantage on D compared to NO. I wouldn't mind if the Saints win but it will be tough I think. In fact I'd like to see them get the trophy. But hopefully we'll get a good game at least. Last year will be hard to top.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

You'd have to say that the Colts look the better team. There is every chance it could be a blow out. Although i hope not, I love Drew Brees and they're a very exciting team. But they'd have to play very well, and Manning would have to be very ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Losing Freeney would be a disaster for the Colts. I'm not quite sure if its bluffing from the Colts but I fully expect him to start. No doubt the Saints are looking hard at the situation and will have to go in with the mindset he will play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just wondering if the weather will have its say in the outcome, ie. its lashing rain there at the moment (in the middle of their dry season!!), and seeing as both teams mainly throw the ball, then mistakes could swing it for one team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just wondering if the weather will have its say in the outcome, ie. its lashing rain there at the moment (in the middle of their dry season!!), and seeing as both teams mainly throw the ball, then mistakes could swing it for one team.

I heard Tony Dungy make an interesting point about how prepared Manning is. Prior to Superbowl XLI Manning saw on the news that the weather for that Superbowl was for a massive storm and he got the Colts to practice with wet balls for a week in Indy prior to travelling down so I'd say the Colts will be ready regardless of the weather

Advertisement