Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2044480,00.html

The top 50 apps for 2011 as decided by time magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This looks interesting, it's a facebook chat app called facebook messenger that allows you to call your facebook contacts. Users on the other end who are using a browser will get a popup window to start the call. Not released yet, but if it is as good as it sounds then this could be worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

jester77 wrote: »
    This looks interesting, it's a facebook chat app called facebook messenger that allows you to call your facebook contacts. Users on the other end who are using a browser will get a popup window to start the call. Not released yet, but if it is as good as it sounds then this could be worth getting.

Supposedly a few facebook profiles in america last week had a button at the top (the one that says send a message) change to *call* when the person was online.
    When it was clicked it just brought up a 404 error.
    It has since been put back to normal.

However, with the arrival of the HTC Facebook phones next month,(suggesting when the ability to call profiles will be activated) this type of app for iphones will be rampant.
    I hope ebuddy pro will incorporate it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

iCarBlackBox.
    Im definitely installing this now.
    A mate of mine had this installed. I didnt know what it was.

We went through a green light just as it changed to amber. A cop stopped us and told him he'd gone through a red. The cop was really ignorant when my friend protested, with all sorts of threats etc about how he could do him for more than the red light if he didnt shut up.

Afterwards when we stopped in a car park he took his phone off the dash and he had a video. It showed us clearly go through a green light and recorded the cop being an asshole, even though he was completely in the wrong.

Now there is proof hes going to let it go all the way to court. Wait til the cop and the judge see it. He says he'll send it into RTE too if he has too, and put it on youtube. I'd hate to be that cop tbh.

Brilliant. I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

CMpunked wrote: »
    Sleep cycle alarm clock.
    Orange icon with a white clock image. 4 and a half stars.

Theres no pro/non pro version. Well worth it at 79c.

sleep cycle is great but id like if i could put it on, and continue to listen to the music/podcast as i doze off. for this reason alone, i dont use it anymore.

i've either had a good night sleep or i havent. i dont need a chart to tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

daithi2011 wrote: »
    iCarBlackBox.

We went through a green light just as it changed to amber. A cop stopped us and told him he'd gone through a red. The cop was really ignorant when my friend protested, with all sorts of threats etc about how he could do him for more than the red light if he didnt shut up.

Afterwards when we stopped in a car park he took his phone off the dash and he had a video. It showed us clearly go through a green light and recorded the cop being an asshole, even though he was completely in the wrong.

Now there is proof hes going to let it go all the way to court. Wait til the cop and the judge see it. He says he'll send it into RTE too if he has too, and put it on youtube. I'd hate to be that cop tbh.

Brilliant. I want it.

so does it need to be continiously recording or how does it work?
    id advise against youtubing it if its going the legal/court route.

barryd09 wrote: »
    so does it need to be continiously recording or how does it work?
    id advise against youtubing it if its going the legal/court route.

The best part is he had only installed it the day before. Had it happened a few days later then he probably would have been bored and not been using it anymore.
    He wont do the youtube thing until after he sees what happens over it.

Ive just downloaded it myself. It records constantly and when you crash it saves the last 10 secs or whatever you set it to in the settings.
    It also saves the last recorded minute when you press a button on the screen.

so what is the phone attached to when its recording?
    it records ALL the time?surely that ates the battery?
    needs more info!!:D

so what is the phone attached to when its recording?
    it records ALL the time?surely that ates the battery?
    needs more info!!:D

Car charger. Same thing its connected to when using GPS or have it on speaker for long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Awesome great to hear technology getting one over an ignorant garda. Keep us posted about what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

darsar wrote: »
    For those with American iTunes accounts, Heytell is great.

Basically a walkie talkie between yourself and a mate. Hold screen and speak. Let go and then it's sent straight to your friends phone. They get an alert if app isn't open.

Talk back and forth, I suppose a good alternative to sending a text you don't want to type or have the trouble of leaving a voicemail..

This is a serious app in fairness. Have it the past few days and its excellent. So handy when driving if you don't want to stop to text/ring.

Would love to see maybe a conference type facility set up where 3+ people could all hear each other.

But its a top app!

but not available fot those of us without American iTunes' accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

bc dub wrote: »
    but not available fot those of us without American iTunes' accounts?

very easy to set up a free american account though. just go to app store and change the flag from ireland to american and bottom right of screen and when you click the app to download you have the option of creating a new account(using a new email address of course)

Very handy app and have used it so many times in the past few days!

cheers, just mailed my best iPhone friend to see if he's interested, no point in going it alone!

another app, good for group mails and or group messaging i'd recomend is Beluga. exactly like whats app but there is an option for group mailing (with gps location optional, be careful ;) ive used it quite a bit and its very simple and has never given me any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

daithi2011 wrote: »
    iCarBlackBox.

Brilliant. I want it.
    I wouldn't celebrate yet if I was your friend.
    May not be admisible in court, plus how do they prove it was that exact time, time stamp can be faked. Unless of course it shows the cop car, or the audio of the conversation with the guard

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

"Whatsapp" users...

im using the iphone 4,just got the whatsapp app today,its really good,will save me a fortune on international texting (& texting in general) but just one flaw i can see so far...i need to have my phone "awake" to receive messages through Whatsapp.In other words if my phone is locked/asleep etc i dont get notified that ive received a message.

all my push settings are turned on for Whatsapp,is that it,is that how it works?i need to unlock/wake my phone to be alerted for msgs?or is there a way of alerting me just like when i get an SMS?

For international texting does the person u text have to have this app??
    Im looking for free international texting to normal mobile is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

elainee wrote: »
    For international texting does the person u text have to have this app??
    Im looking for free international texting to normal mobile is this possible?
    Yes they have to have it. Unsure if any alternatives although I think Vodafone allow international web texts so you could try eirtext if you are with them

thanks im with 02 i have free web text only its awkward to access..i think eirtext app the person ur texting has to have eirtext 2?

elainee wrote: »
    i think eirtext app the person ur texting has to have eirtext 2?
    Nope.

just looked i think i have to get eirtext pro to send international text its 3.99??is it worth it?? also just saw jelly text which is free? do u know anything about this app??

• Advertisement

used jelly but use eirtext every day and well recommend it. For international texts through O2 you'd have it paid for in under 15 texts i'd presume and thats before your normal texting. I'm with 3 so cant do international but it saves me a packet every month as i'd go way over my units if I didnt use this as i'd send up to 30 texts a day

Whatsapp works with Nokias with Symbian OS,android phones and blackberrys too.
    I have an iphone & my girlfriend has a nokia e63,works perfectly.

cool cool i have the free web texts but its very long winded i think il get eirtext pro so thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

and just about anything capable of receiving FM but yet i cant stream to my iphone?? Madness.

I did not think the iP has an FM receiver, as you say, stream, this through internet. WiFi is free 3G will [probably] be charged or you could go over your limit.

gbee wrote: »
    I did not think the iP has an FM receiver, as you say, stream, this through internet. WiFi is free 3G will [probably] be charged or you could go over your limit.

What ARE you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

i think he meant IP as iPhone, not internet protocol.
    :pac:
    I was wondering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But that's still irrelevant,

Coverage is avail over FM, therefore you'd thing iPhone streaming is going to be availible,
    but its block at certain times.

it's to due with TV coverage rights, its a problem that can't be avoided afaik,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mellor wrote: »
    it's to due with TV coverage rights, its a problem that can't be avoided afaik,

The EPL rights are broken down into TV, radio and Internet. All sold seperately for each country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I don't think the iP4 has an FM radio receiver for listening to broadcast radio. It has one for another reason, like your SatNav picks up traffic signals.

Some apps use the internet for broadcast radio ~ these carry a charge or could as one may go over limit. If you listen to radio through a WiFi connection there is no additional charges.

If your device really was working on FM the only cost would be a bit of battery usage and one could turn off the 2G/ 3G, WiFi & Bluetooth and still get reception like one would for a small pocket radio subject to reception.

Up to the iP3Gs this was not implemented and seemingly no change on the iP4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 zacchaeus

Query! Has anyone recenlty have had problems with the Al Jazeera app. Picture fine but not sound! Am I alone?

Advertisement