Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2010 Boards.ie Draft (Discussion and Reaction)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I've one lad in mind, the heart is in me gob waiting to see if MNG will pick him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hmm some good picks made this round. I should have my pick up inside the hour.

Hmm some good picks made this round. I should have my pick up inside the hour.

Well feck you anyway, I was hoping to get Joe meself. Back to the drawing board....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well ye shower of pups, have been away in the States all week, just logged in to see the redoubtable Ger has made my pick for me, legend that he is. Thanks to Ger. As he says Dibiase and Hansen tagged regularly in Japan throughout the 80's and wer champs over there I think in 1984, making them an eligible pairing in the sdame way Kobashi and Misawa are.

Delighted with this selection as it gives me two bone fide main eventers in one felk swoop. Anyway off to drink myself into a coma in South Boston, be good boys and girls, keep her lit and up teh Deise, thanks again to the bauld Ger...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

flahavaj wrote: »
    Well ye shower of pups, have been away in the States all week, just logged in to see the redoubtable Ger has made my pick for me, legend that he is. Thanks to Ger. As he says Dibiase and Hansen tagged regularly in Japan throughout the 80's and wer champs over there I think in 1984, making them an eligible pairing in the sdame way Kobashi and Misawa are.

Delighted with this selection as it gives me two bone fide main eventers in one felk swoop. Anyway off to drink myself into a coma in South Boston, be good boys and girls, keep her lit and up teh Deise, thanks again to the bauld Ger...:pac:

I had my eye on Hansen! didn't think anyone would even think of him. Am envious of Ted .... knew he'd go this round though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Was hoping in vain myself that Ted would sneak through so I could pick him again even though I am trying to avoid the guys I chose last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

What's the status of the NWA title under the TNA banner because Christian is a two time NWA World Heavyweight Champion in TNA?

What's the status of the NWA title under the TNA banner because Christian is a two time NWA World Heavyweight Champion in TNA?

"(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )"

As far as I know, it's okay as he never won the TNA world title...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Gerard.C wrote: »
    "(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )"

As far as I know, it's okay as he never won the TNA world title...

Though would that not still be considered the TNA World title, it was effectively what it was. Plus it was during a time that the likes of Kurt Angle and Sting were going for the title so you can't exactly claim there was no prestige there. That NWA rule really complicates things.

Though would that not still be considered the TNA World title, it was effectively what it was. Plus it was during a time that the likes of Kurt Angle and Sting were going for the title so you can't exactly claim there was no prestige there. That NWA rule really complicates things.

It was still technically the NWA title though. And along with Kurt Angle and Sting were Rhyno and R-Truth challenging for the belt. We'll wait and see what the powers that be think, if they want I'll just pick Christian...

• Advertisement

This will be an interesting call... I would have put it as included as TNA's world title. But can't argue with Gerard C's interpretation. Other winners of the NWA title in TNA include Ken Shamrock, Ron Killings, Raven, Rhyno, and Abyss ... hardly a collection of people to make a title lineage seem prestigious.

I'm right...

image3a2520eric2520bischoff3a252.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Yeah I was under the impression the TNA-NWA title counted because if it doesn't those who picked AJ and Joe got jipped.

Really really wanted Di Biase anyway. Thought he'd be a great match up for Benoit and wanted Dr. Death for free as well. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

This will be an interesting call... I would have put it as included as TNA's world title. But can't argue with Gerard C's interpretation. Other winners of the NWA title in TNA include Ken Shamrock, Ron Killings, Raven, Rhyno, and Abyss ... hardly a collection of people to make a title lineage seem prestigious.

You are forgetting Sting, Jeff Jarrett & AJ Styles

In my opinion since TNA had exclusive use of the NWA World Heavyweight championship from the start to 2007 and used it as its heavyweight title it carries the same prestige as the current TNA world heavyweight championship. Its champions should be counted as world champions as well. I'll go by whatever everyone else decides. Doesnt affect my choice though which will be up in 10 mins or so

The NWA Title isn't being counted as a World Title after Flair vacated it.

I'm confused about the justification for taking Tomko though. As far as I am aware Tomko and he were never a tag team and he was more of a bodyguard.

I haven't followed his progress in TNA though so perhaps others can enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

A Christian surely is counted as a world champ and dont think he teamed with tomko did he

The NWA Title isn't being counted as a World Title after Flair vacated it.

I'm confused about the justification for taking Tomko though. As far as I am aware Tomko and he were never a tag team and he was more of a bodyguard.

I haven't followed his progress in TNA though so perhaps others can enlighten me?

I think you might be right ....in WWE Tomko was Christian's problem solver. They did tag occassionaly, but usually it would be Christian wrestling, with Tomko on the outside. Similar to Virgil and Ted DiBiasi, or Triple H and Chyna ....

In TNA Tomko was a part of the Christian Coalition, but would tag more with AJ Styles (winning the tag titles with him).

It's not a call I'd like to make.

They were in a faction with AJ and while they may have teamed intermitently the main tag in that team was Tomko and AJ

campo, if we count Christian as a World Champion then we count Ron Killings as a World Champion. Do we really want that? Are we seriously suggesting he is a former World Heavyweight Champion?
    I think you might be right ....in WWE Tomko was Christian's problem solver. They did tag occassionaly, but usually it would be Christian wrestling, with Tomko on the outside. Similar to Virgil and Ted DiBiasi, or Triple H and Chyna ....

In TNA Tomko was a part of the Christian Coalition, but would tag more with AJ Styles (winning the tag titles with him).

It's not a call I'd like to make.

This is why I'm asking because I only know Tomko from his WWE stint.

The onus is on people involved to show proof of them being a tag team. The rules are quite clear:
    Cannot have a world champion in them ie no DX or Hart Foundation
    - Must have tagged together for at least 3 months
    - Inter gender tag teams not allowed
    - Members of factions, ie Saturn and Malenko, are not deemed valid picks as they are not classed as legit tag teams under the criteria for the game.

If Gerard can't provide proof of them being a regular team for 3 months then the Tomko pick isn't legit.

campo, if we count Christian as a World Champion then we count Ron Killings as a World Champion. Do we really want that? Are we seriously suggesting he is a former World Heavyweight Champion?

I don't think you should look at it in terms of who the champions were but rather where they were. TNA were the second company at that stage so if you don't count that belt's reign then you only have 1 companies champions recognized as world champs until they split from the NWA and by the time that happened they had credible champs like Angle, Sting, Christian, Styles, Daniels, Joe and Jerret. On the other hand ECW was bigger. Your call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,187 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The 'Viper' v The 'Snake'.

Jake's a solid pick; he was on my shortlist for Round 3.

didn't expect to get him.

there's one i'm shocked at hasn't been picked, and if this pick makes Round 3, someone is going to have one hell of a coup.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't think you should look at it in terms of who the champions were but rather where they were. TNA were the second company at that stage so if you don't count that belt's reign then you only have 1 companies champions recognized as world champs until they split from the NWA and by the time that happened they had credible champs like Angle, Sting, Christian, Styles, Daniels, Joe and Jerret. On the other hand ECW was bigger. Your call

Well this is the thing remember we're not counting ECW nor AWA and the latter had, I think we'd both agree, way more credible world champ material than the NWA Title post-Flair.

I'd be happy to bow to majority concensus on it if it's what people want but I can't personally say I'd be in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

There's a few picks that I thought of tonight that would be huge, in my opinion at least, if they were still available next round. Cruel waiting :(
    Well this is the thing remember we're not counting ECW nor AWA and the latter had, I think we'd both agree, way more credible world champ material than the NWA Title post-Flair.

I'd be happy to bow to majority concensus on it if it's what people want but I can't personally say I'd be in favour of it.

I'd agree with that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Well my picks are up.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,187 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Taz and Sabu is a decent pick.

i think you may have been able to wait another round.

there are so many huge picks that are just being ignored.

it's f*cking killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

ah theres definitely huge picks left, i just wanted to make sure i got 2 decent talents, before someone else did..

SlickRic wrote: »
    Taz and Sabu is a decent pick.

i think you may have been able to wait another round.

there are so many huge picks that are just being ignored.

it's f*cking killing me.

I don't think top picks are necessarily being ignored I think people are just trying to see who fits into their plans.

I spent about an hour trying to decide between star power or storyline potential and I went with the latter option.

If Gerard can't provide proof of them being a regular team for 3 months then the Tomko pick isn't legit.

"September 13, 2004 - RAW: Shawn Michaels & Chris Jericho defeated Christian & Tyson Tomko"

"January 9, 2005 - New Year's Revolution: William Regal & Eugene defeated Christian & Tyson Tomko to retain the Tag Team titles"

"March 14, 2005 - RAW: Kane defeated Christian & Tyson Tomko in a Handicap match"

Source: http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/t/tyson-tomko.php

Them dates span over 7 months, and that's just from tomkos career highlights, not full stats

Gerard.C wrote: »
    "September 13, 2004 - RAW: Shawn Michaels & Chris Jericho defeated Christian & Tyson Tomko"

"January 9, 2005 - New Year's Revolution: William Regal & Eugene defeated Christian & Tyson Tomko to retain the Tag Team titles"

"March 14, 2005 - RAW: Kane defeated Christian & Tyson Tomko in a Handicap match"

Source: http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/t/tyson-tomko.php

Them dates span over 7 months, and that's just from tomkos career highlights, not full stats

They weren't acknowledged as a unit during this period though it was just a case of Christian tagging with his bodyguard every now and then. Even those stats don't class them as a unit. They do class Tomko and Snitsky as one but not Tomko and Christian.

Here's Wikipedia:
    He made his television debut on the April 19, 2004, Raw, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, interfering in a Christian versus Chris Jericho match on Christian's behalf and helping him pick up the win.[1] His gimmick was that of "The Problem Solver", and acting as an "enforcer for hire" for Christian and his kayfabe girlfriend Trish Stratus in their feud with Chris Jericho.[1] His singles matches were few and far between; his main goal was ensuring victory for his clients, usually by interfering. When Christian suffered a legit back injury, Tomko continued to stand by Stratus and aid her in gaining an advantage in feuds against Jericho, Victoria, and Steven Richards, among others.[1] The duo occasionally paired together for mixed tag team matches.[1] Upon Christian's return, Tomko immediately paired with him again, filling the same role as before.[1] Following the on-screen split between Stratus and Christian (their dispute was seemingly over Tomko's services), Tomko remained Christian's enforcer.

And here were your own words in your write-up:
    and, I will also draft his longtime side-kick in both WWE and TNA - Tomko!

I understand why you'd want him as a freebie but we're trying to cut that out from the game this year.

• Advertisement

They weren't acknowledged as a unit during this period though it was just a case of Christian tagging with his bodyguard every now and then. Even those stats don't class them as a unit. They do class Tomko and Snitsky as one but not Tomko and Christian.

Here's Wikipedia:

And here were your own words in your write-up:

I understand why you'd want him as a freebie but we're trying to cut that out from the game this year.

So it's a no-go then? I'd have considered them a tag-team, they did fued over the tag-titles in fairness, and teamed together a fair bit in WWE. Whatever ya think yourself though...

Advertisement