Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Just to give my bit of insight:

I was in Corrib Village for the first time ever on Friday, which is a little strange considering I live about two minutes from it and I use their tennis courts all the time (shhhhhh!). I went in with the intention of meeting some friends. I brought in a six-pack with me and half-expected to get it taken off me going in. The security guard didn't care and supposedly they never do. There were several other people at the gate with six-packs and others spilling out coke out of 2 litre bottles and filling the gap up with vodka.

Just curious, why on earth did you expect them to take it off you???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Honestly your taking a chance. If you get into an apartment in Corrib with Housemates you get on with you will look past the living conditions and have a great time. But if you dont get on with them you wont enjoy the experience as much.

You will be very, very lucky to get in with 1 person you know, never mind 3 or 4 people. The most you will have in an apartment is 5. But if you dont get on with your housemates, and you know others living in Corrib, there is nothing stopping you going down to your friends apartment. It will make the experience easier.

When I decided to live in Corrib I never really thought about all this. I booked a place the day the offers came out and I knew Corrib had a bad reputation for being a kip but in all honesty I was expecting much worse. For me it worked out okay, I get on with my Housemates and while there are some noisy nights, it is never unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shane'O

Dman001 wrote: »
    Honestly your taking a chance. If you get into an apartment in Corrib with Housemates you get on with you will look past the living conditions and have a great time. But if you dont get on with them you wont enjoy the experience as much.

You will be very, very lucky to get in with 1 person you know, never mind 3 or 4 people. The most you will have in an apartment is 5. But if you dont get on with your housemates, and you know others living in Corrib, there is nothing stopping you going down to your friends apartment. It will make the experience easier.

When I decided to live in Corrib I never really thought about all this. I booked a place the day the offers came out and I knew Corrib had a bad reputation for being a kip but in all honesty I was expecting much worse. For me it worked out okay, I get on with my Housemates and while there are some noisy nights, it is never unbearable.

Yeah thats what im afraid of, getting stuck with people i wont get on with.. I'd no bother head down to my friends' apartment but i'd like to be able to at least get on with my flatmates a little bit.. My friend's sister got a flat with 3 friends last year (she'd be 2nd yr now); I'd take that over the gamble of random people...

Ive heard all about its rep too, as long as i had people living with me that weren't complete dirtbags and just made sh!t of the place i'd be happy enough; that and a room with a lock ha, you'd need your own space all the same.. I might be doing psychology through the omnibus so i'd need to be able to get some study done at some point through 1st year; impossible in corrib?

Despite all the concerns i have/ questions i'm asking, i'm actually looking forward to this ha:) i'm just the type who likes to do a bit of research before committing like, don't wana end up hating the place i have to live in:p

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

ciano1 wrote: »
    I should be putting in my application for Gort on the 28th :P:)

Anyone else?

I'm applying there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Foxx92 wrote: »
    I'm applying there...

Well, now I know theres gonna be at least 2 first years!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

Im going to galway for a look around wednesay - im guna start with corrib and go on from there . Is there any person -- in authority like to show u around at all?

Well, now I know theres gonna be at least 2 first years!! :D

Party time.

Are you staying with anyone or going with random selection?

I'm 90% decided to apply for Gort on the 28th. Can anyone confirm that they put 1st years together?

Cathal O wrote: »
    Im going to galway for a look around wednesay - im guna start with corrib and go on from there . Is there any person -- in authority like to show u around at all?

Please report back to us..

Reillyman wrote: »
    I'm 90% decided to apply for Gort on the 28th. Can anyone confirm that they put 1st years together?

Think i read on the website that they do.

• Advertisement

I've been following this thread for a while and I'm kind of in the same boat as ciano with regards to the whole corrib thing. I've heard its unreal craic etc, but the cons just outweigh the pros for me. There's a load of us goin to galway anyway and I'm sure a good lot will be in gort too. Can't ****ing wait!:cool:

Id be surprised if they didnt
    Thats at least 3 of us!! lol

Thats at least 3 of us!! lol

Haha there's gonna be a lot more dont worry man, from Castlebar alone there'll be around 20.

Haha there's gonna be a lot more dont worry man, from Castlebar alone there'll be around 20.

Lovely, all staying in Gort?:D

I probably wont know a single person in Galway so yay!!
    Lets take the party central status away from Corrib!!:p

Lovely, all staying in Gort?:D

I probably wont know a single person in Galway so yay!!
    Lets take the party central status away from Corrib!!:p

Yeah deffo, and the whole "Corrib is so friendly", well we'll be fcuking friendly too ey? Should be savage craic, the houses look unreal aswell.

Yeah deffo, and the whole "Corrib is so friendly", well we'll be fcuking friendly too ey? Should be savage craic, the houses look unreal aswell.

Well, at least they're confident enough to put pics of their rooms on their site :p I still refuse to believe their '10mb uncontended internet' but shur it bound to be better than corribs :p

Just remember to remind the castlebar folk that booking for Gort opens Thursday and books up fast, or else we'll be forced to be friendly somewhere else :(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 superstar111

Hi,
    Ive just been reading through this whole post and I just thought Id reply with my thoughts on the subject of "Where to live". Im currently a first year in NUIG and Im living in Corrib Village. Now I wont deny that I was slow about applying to corrib as I too has heard all the "horror" stories. I also went on my own so I had the added problem of maybe ending up with nightmares for housemates. But I went for it and I havent looked back! Im delighted I came to Corrib for first year and it honestly isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Yeah there can be some noisy nights but nothing unbearable and sure if you cant beat them, join them!! Its the best craic for first years coz the place is full of them! I was lucky to end up living with 3 lovely housemates! And anyone I have met so far in Corrib doesnt seem to have any serious problems with the place. Seriously though, for first year, Corrib village is the place to be! I was the exact same as many of you this time last year who are put off of Corrib but I went for it and Im so glad I did. I have made so many friends here and I wouldnt think twice about living in Corrib for first year!
    Hope any of this helped! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tacitum

Hello there! (: I'm a third year student whom will be studying at NUI Galway in September 2010. I'm currently looking for accomodation that's somewhat in between the University College Hospital or Merlin Hospital. 8D

I've already crossed out Corrib Village because of all the horror stories that have been mentioned in the past, and I'm reconsidering Dun Aras because uh, I've heard of some problems in another forum.

Currently, I'm looking at Gort Na Coiribe, CÚIRT NA COIRIBE, Amrha House & Atlantis Apartments. So em, any recommendations? I would like to find somewhere there's safe honestly and some place that you can meet new friends. <3 I'm open to new ideas actually.

Does anyone the whole Booking/payment procedure for Gort or any of the accommodations?

Now all I need to do is bum the €780 deposit from mammy! Ha

You download a booking form from their website, after that, god knows!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

tacitum wrote: »
    Currently, I'm looking at Gort Na Coiribe, CÚIRT NA COIRIBE, Amrha House & Atlantis Apartments. So em, any recommendations? I would like to find somewhere there's safe honestly and some place that you can meet new friends. <3 I'm open to new ideas actually.

There have been a few threads created to bemoan Amhrá House so check those out. I was in Atlantis the other day and it seemed a nice enough place. It's a fair walk out to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tacitum

Monzo wrote: »
    There have been a few threads created to bemoan Amhrá House so check those out. I was in Atlantis the other day and it seemed a nice enough place. It's a fair walk out to it though.

Ah I've just struck Amhra house out as well after reading the thread. 8D Thanks for the info. :P Eh, how far is Atlantis from the University College Hospital? I'm doing third year med and will be posted in the hospitals more frequently than NUI itself ... I think. :P

I've decided to try for Cuirt. Is it really popular and difficult to get in? I might try for Atlantis as backup or something. :P

Does anyone the whole Booking/payment procedure for Gort or any of the accommodations?

Anyone??

Bookings in 2 days !:O
    Does it really fill up within a couple of days?

Think the mother will be dropping it in on Thurs morning. What about you?

Think the mother will be dropping it in on Thurs morning. What about you?

Well . . . I'm living in Tipperary so it'll have to be posted id say

Filled out the form there, going in the post tomorrow morning, yeahhup buddy!!!

Filled out the form there, going in the post tomorrow morning, yeahhup buddy!!!

Dya have to send the deposit with it?

Yeah, the application is invalid without it AFAIK.

Anybody applying anywhere else incase they don't get Gort?

Yeah you have to send a cheque.

Think I'm going "on the waiting-list" of Cúirt and Corrib just in case.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the application is invalid without it AFAIK.

Anybody applying anywhere else incase they don't get Gort?

Grrr. . . Anyone have any ideas how to send it ? Registered post and cash/cheque ?

As you can see i'm not very good at organising stuff :p

I dunno. . . Cuirt booking opens on Feb 1st but they seem a bit too strict for my liking!
    Suppose there's always Corrib!

Advertisement