Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Im starting at NUI Galway later this year. But i dont want to go to student acc because well its so expensive and strict! I would love to be very near eyre square and NUIG. has anybody got any places for living to suggest? Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

You should reconsider student accommodation for your first year. You meet so many people in student accommodation, you'll really feel left out if you're not living near lots of other student. Gort na Coiribe is nice, but they might be booked out by now. I lived in Dunaras in first year, it's quite far out and there's not as much of a student atmosphere as the other places, but it's still easy enough to get to know your neighbours, and the apartments are nice.

Do give some thought to student accomodation, you'll be in college for 3 to 4 years, you'll make friends in your first year in student accommodation that you'll be close to until you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Gort na Coiribe booking opens on the 28th of this month ;)

Im looking for accommodation too... I only want to go to student accommodation in first year to meet people!

Unless you're going to Galway with a few people you know then renting a place would be good, but otherwise, student accommodation is the way to go !

Im torn between Gort because its supposed to be nice and not too far from the college OR Corrib village
    Corrib doesnt have very nice accommodation but its the closest to the college by FAR and the craic is supposed to be mighty there!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

ciano1 wrote: »
    Im looking for accommodation too... I only want to go to student accommodation in first year to meet people!

Same here, will try to get into Gort.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Same here, will try to get into Gort.

Whats putting ya off corrib ?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

A need of Sleep!:)

It wouldn't be the worst staying there, just have to weigh up weather the 'craic' is worth it. Do many 1st year students go to Gort? At the moment the fact that I'll be away from most of the first years is making the decision really hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Gort na Coiribe is mostly second and third years. Corrib Village is almost exclusively first years ... kind of tells you all you need to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Same trying to get Gort:) Would love Corrib for the parties but I'm a big fan of my sleep! And it's a lot of money to pay for a room that's really not that nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Which accomodation is the cheapest?....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Foxx92 wrote: »
    A need of Sleep!:).

Ugh......

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Bit of advice, avoid Amhra House. Just search for it here and you'll see plenty of reasons why.

• Advertisement

When does booking for Corrib open? Or is it already open? :confused:

I doubt its open now...Their website still has the 09/10 application form

I doubt its open now...Their website still has the 09/10 application form

Thanks. I've just heard that it books out pretty fast so I want to book it straight away. Still confused over which accomodation to stay in though. :confused:

GLUEY wrote: »
    Thanks. I've just heard that it books out pretty fast so I want to book it straight away. Still confused over which accomodation to stay in though. :confused:

Id say they all start taking bookings at around the same time
    Gort na coiribe bookings open on the 28th and cuirt na coiribe bookings open on the 1st of feb

I'm probably gonna try Gort if I can get somebody I know to go in with me...Otherwise Corrib

Id say they all start taking bookings at around the same time
    Gort na coiribe bookings open on the 28th and cuirt na coiribe bookings open on the 1st of feb

I'm probably gonna try Gort if I can get somebody I know to go in with me...Otherwise Corrib

I've nobody going with me so it'll probably be Corrib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

Gort na Coiribe usually put first years together... second years together and so on!! Best place ever - lived there in first and second year! Met loads of people and I didn't know anyone going to Galway in First year so student accomodation is def the way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Have had nothing but hassle with Corrib all year round (I'm a First Year), I agree with the whole "live in student accomo to meet people" thing but Corrib in general isn't the kind of people you want to meet, I imagine Gcort is much better since there's more settled people rather than people that find getting back to Galway on a Sunday night cause for celebration. Not to say you couldn't move into Corrib and meet nice people, but it's an extortionate price for awful conditions and rubbish management. Go for one of the nicer student villages imo, Amhra House sounds desperate though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

cheap houses around.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Another bonus of Gort is being close to Dunnes & Tesco. And it's easier to get into town from.

linda leaning towards Gort now after hearing you're opinions. :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

hmm... Id love Gort, but might have to settle for menlo.
    Anybody have experience is menlo and is it annoying/expensive going to town?

I should be putting in my application for Gort on the 28th :P:)

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I lived in Corrib Village in first year, and loved it. You get to know so many people, it's more social than Gort I think. In Corrib Village people actually go around flats introducing themselves and there are great block parties. It's definitely closest to college but then Gort is closer to Dunnes, Tesco, the cinema, and the city centre really.
    If you're applying to Corrib Village I'd recommend applying for an ensuite room as those are nicer apartments. There are two types of apartments - the ones that have 3 single rooms and a twin room, all sharing a bathroom, and with one joint sitting room-kitchen, and then the ones with a single ensuite, double ensuite, and a double and a single sharing ensuite. These ones have a separate kitchen off the sitting room and the kitchens are better equipped. The ensuite flats are also at the two ends of Corrib Village rather than in the middle where all the partying is, so it's quieter there.

I dunno...

The craic in corrib sounds mighty but i think i've read/heard enough bad things about it to put me off.

Not to sound like a dry arse, but im sure I would get sick of all the partying really fast..
    If I find wherever I eventually do stay boring, theres nothing stopping me from popping into corrib*

*Bar some security guards and a fence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Just to give my bit of insight:

I was in Corrib Village for the first time ever on Friday, which is a little strange considering I live about two minutes from it and I use their tennis courts all the time (shhhhhh!). I went in with the intention of meeting some friends. I brought in a six-pack with me and half-expected to get it taken off me going in. The security guard didn't care and supposedly they never do. There were several other people at the gate with six-packs and others spilling out coke out of 2 litre bottles and filling the gap up with vodka.

Why were we all waiting at the gate? That's the annoying part, the signing in crap. I had to wait for someone to come down and "fetch me", else I wasn't going anywhere fast. Eventually I bumped into a guy from my course who signed me in. The hilarious thing was that after he signed me in, I said "Seeya man" and walked in the opposite direction to him. The fact that the guard didn't even bat an eyelid shows how stupid this signing in thing is...

Oh also - I'm sure some apartments are in a good state, but the one I was in was... forgettable. I didn't like it one bit and I know that if I ended up living there away from home for college I would be miserable. But then I love my creature comforts, so I live at home for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

It's true, the security guards like to think they're authoritative but really they haven't a clue. When we lived there, a friend of mine went over to their hut at the gate with brownies and made friends with them, and after that she could bring in an 8-seater taxi full of non-Corribeans and the guard would just ask her how her night had been. Also, I brought a friend in with me through the campus gate after walking home from nightclubs once, and this friend told the security guard he'd lost his card but lived in apartment 206. The security guard said that was fine and let us in. The apartments only go up to 176!!!

Do many first years stay at Gort ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The Cool wrote: »
    Also, I brought a friend in with me through the campus gate after walking home from nightclubs once, and this friend told the security guard he'd lost his card but lived in apartment 206. The security guard said that was fine and let us in. The apartments only go up to 176!!!

Nowadays they'd check their computer database to match the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The security in Corrib is a nuisance but you can just imagine how bad the place would be without security.

Im tempted to live in Gort/Cuirt next year as the apartments are nicer and you are still close to the college and the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shane'O

I'll be going to NUIG next year (hopefully:o), probably going to Corrib village; just wondering is the craic genuinely worth the living conditions & price? (was there for a day last year and seemed pretty run down, was a 'morning after' though ha.!:D)

Also can anyone tell me what the story is with applying? i'll be going with anywhere from 3 to 7 friends, are we able to get a flat/apartment together as 4 or is there a 2-person-per-flat limit?

Advertisement