Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

Passed my medical yesterday, absolutely delighted. Do you think I will make the September intake or will have to wait until the next one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Passed my medical yesterday, absolutely delighted. Do you think I will make the September intake or will have to wait until the next one?
    Well I wouldn't ring now but maybe next month if you call hq they might be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cozzy66

Passed my a month ago now hoping for the sept intake also. But I have no idea how many are on the waiting list for training. Did you get any email or written confirmation you passed or was it just the doctor telling you on the day. Just wondering is there or should there be an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

Went through the whole medical exam and in the end the doctor shook my hand and said "Congratulations you're in perfect health, you can go downstairs and tell the lady in reception that you've passed"...went down and she said that I'll get an email or letter regarding the next step

Went through the whole medical exam and in the end the doctor shook my hand and said "Congratulations you're in perfect health, you can go downstairs and tell the lady in reception that you've passed"...went down and she said that I'll get an email or letter regarding the next step

Ya thats exactly how mine went aswel... Not sure if we are too late for the sept intake or not?

• Advertisement

Got my email for training in sept today, delighted... Finally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Congrats Cozzy ya lucky B******!

Got my call for the medical :) Seven months wasn't bad for the security checks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Waiting ages for this day ! Got a call for the medical on the 22th of this month.. At leased I am making some headway now with this application ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

msg11 wrote: »
    Waiting ages for this day ! Got a call for the medical on the 22th of this month.. At leased I am making some headway now with this application ! :)

well done how long have you been waiting ? :)

• Advertisement

A.G.S wrote: »
    well done how long have you been waiting ? :)

Started the process in March 2011.. So going on a while now !

Started the process in March 2011.. So going on a while now !

I'm waiting since January 2011, the wait is killing me :(

I'm waiting since January 2011, the wait is killing me :(

What stage are you at now ?

What stage are you at now ?

waiting to be called for medical

waiting to be called for medical

Can't see you wait to much longer, I had hardly anyone on my background checks as I come from a small family.

How long will the medical take? Any suggestions on what to wear was just thinking, runners , jeans , t shirt and a top. How long would I be expected to be in there for?

Can't see you wait to much longer, I had hardly anyone on my background checks as I come from a small family.

How long will the medical take? Any suggestions on what to wear was just thinking, runners , jeans , t shirt and a top. How long would I be expected to be in there for?

I herd the medical can take up to 4 hours from talking to all my buddys who done it. my family and friends who are in the job advised to go business casual so shirt jumper and slacks with some nice balck shoes, just remmber you will be in hq with most people being in uniform so best to dress smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

Hi guys, I met with Superintendent in August, he said i could be waiting over a year for the medical. bit ridiculous but i know everybodys in the same boat.

My question is to people who have went through the medical. As I've pretty shocking vision (+6.50, +7), I'm 99% sure that its not good enough to pass even with glasses. Would you get away with wearing contacts on the day or does the doctor rigorously check your eyes? Its not ideal but I plan to get implantable contact lenses in the next two years.

Thanks in advance

I did the medical there about two months ago. The others there were mainly wearing tracksuits which I thought looked bad considering your walking around the HQ of the organisation you hope to join. I wore jeans and a shirt which I think is as casual as you should go. All in all I was in there for about 2-3 hours in total but I'd imagine it can vary.

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    My question is to people who have went through the medical. As I've pretty shocking vision (+6.50, +7), I'm 99% sure that its not good enough to pass even with glasses. Would you get away with wearing contacts on the day or does the doctor rigorously check your eyes? Its not ideal but I plan to get implantable contact lenses in the next two years.

Thanks in advance

Yeah I think that'll be a problem for you....is laser eye surgery not an option?

Just thought I'd give an updated account of the GR medical (did mine in August 2012), though it doesn't seem to have changed much compared to the earlier posts. I arrived at the park and got my ID card at the reception area. Took a short walk to the medical centre, where I had to fill out a few more form (similar to the medical form you'll have already filled out). Your given a small container to pee into while waiting on the nurse. After about a half hour the nurse called me and took my blood pressure, height, weight, calculated BMI, and did the hearing test with me. Next it was off to another waiting room upstairs, this time waiting for the doctor. About 45 minutes waiting after which he briefly inspected my body (he was very impressed of course :P - I presume he was checking for deformaties, scars etc), reflexes, flexability, and the eye test which involved looking into a unit to test both the reading and distance vision, then finally it was on to the colour vision test which involved reading the numbers from about 5 or 6 Ishira plates.

Surprisingly there was no drop and cough element for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

When going for your medical and the doctor checks your body for scars, what is the purpose for this? Say somebody had a few scars on their body, would this go against him/her?

• Advertisement

I don't think it would affect your chances. AFAIK its just something they take note of in the same way they take note of the location of tattoos.

Just thought I'd give an updated account of the GR medical (did mine in August 2012), though it doesn't seem to have changed much compared to the earlier posts. I arrived at the park and got my ID card at the reception area. Took a short walk to the medical centre, where I had to fill out a few more form (similar to the medical form you'll have already filled out). Your given a small container to pee into while waiting on the nurse. After about a half hour the nurse called me and took my blood pressure, height, weight, calculated BMI, and did the hearing test with me. Next it was off to another waiting room upstairs, this time waiting for the doctor. About 45 minutes waiting after which he briefly inspected my body (he was very impressed of course :P - I presume he was checking for deformaties, scars etc), reflexes, flexability, and the eye test which involved looking into a unit to test both the reading and distance vision, then finally it was on to the colour vision test which involved reading the numbers from about 5 or 6 Ishira plates.

Surprisingly there was no drop and cough element for me!

What did you wear yourself? Anything out of the ordinary, treadmills or anything ?!

Shirt, jeans and shoes. No nothing like that, all standard sort of stuff.

Shirt, jeans and shoes. No nothing like that, all standard sort of stuff.

Cheers. What's the parking situation anyone know? Do you drive in or park outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Cheers. What's the parking situation anyone know? Do you drive in or park outside?

Park outside. Arrive early as the parking just at the gates is often full so you may have to park a bit away.

Well all went well and they said I passed. Just wore jeans, shirt, converse runners and a jacket. Parked up a bit from the HQ parking was awful to be honest. All in all very nice people in the medical center.

Run down of events.

1. Check in
    2. Fill out another form similar to the email
    3. Basic check over, Blood pressure, Height, Weight, Urine Sample, Lung capacity and Hearing Test
    4. Up to another waiting room
    5. Basic check for scars etc (Half strip). Vision test and another few checks
    6. Told if you passed
    7. Head home

Anyone know what's next ? How long is the next wait ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

1. Check in
    2. Fill out another form similar to the email
    3. Basic check over, Blood pressure, Height, Weight, Urine Sample, Lung capacity and Hearing Test
    4. Up to another waiting room
    5. Basic check for scars etc (Half strip). Vision test and another few checks
    6. Told if you passed
    7. Head home

Hi there,

I have a scar on the top of my nose from a fall.

How will this look for the medical.

I have a valid reason for the injury eventhough it looks bad..

Im very worried i ll be stopped

many thanks
    for any replies :)

Anyone know what's next ? How long is the next wait ! :pac:[/QUOTE]

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a scar on the top of my nose from a fall.

How will this look for the medical.

I have a valid reason for the injury even though it looks bad..

Im very worried i ll be stopped

many thanks
    for any replies :)

Doubt it would be a problem once it dose not effect your motor movements.. IE Leg , Arm , Body and Head movements. Think what they are looking for is that type of scaring that would have an impact on your movements.

Anyone know what's next ? How long is the next wait ! :pac:

To my knowledge, your file now goes to the Commissioner's office to be signed off on after which your name is put down for an intake in Templemore and you get a call/email a couple of weeks before hand inviting you to training.

As I said, I did my medical in August and passed but it has been three months now and still no word, which is begining to concern me. Having said that, I'm not aware of there having been any intakes other than in September and October which probably would have been filled up already before I completed the medical. The other issue is that current reservists require further training on the new public order powers and perhaps this is getting piority, resulting in a relay in the training of new recruits. Hopefully there'll be an intake early next year.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that fingers crossed that I get signed off, be a shame to come so far and not get over the last hurdle.

BTW , I would give them a ring to be honest. I know slightly different PSA forgot to inform the reserve office that I passed my exams in fact they forgot themselves too. Could be a similar situation.

Advertisement