Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 collw2

hayzer wrote: »
    I have a medical coming up next week, worried about the hearing test. Yikes! Was called today to see if I passed the medical do I have availability for May training.

Congrats. I have mine in three weeks. getting to the Yikes stage myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RosieMarie_91

Passed medical today..Well proud of myself and everyone else that was there today. See ya'll in 2 week...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Passed medical today..Well proud of myself and everyone else that was there today. See ya'll in 2 week...:D

Well done!! Hope to report the same myself next week.

Hayzer. You will not a bother to you. I didnt think i had a cat in hells chance of gettin in cos im a smoker but dont pass much heed on what people say on here about medical. I got myself so worked up by reading what people had wrote on here and it was easy enough. You'll be sound pal!! Do you know when you'll be training??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Steveo.

Hi All.

Passed the medical today with flying colors. Must say it was nerve ending last night and today, well done to everyone else that passed, heading for training in two weeks.

See you all in Templemore in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Can you park in the HQ car park?

Can you park in the HQ car park?

Hi hayzer.

No not inside the actually HQ, but outside the grates left or right of it you can as well as anybody else can park there.
    I was there before 8am, and just after 8am the parking was starting to fill up. If you could be there as early as you can (before 8am) you should be alright, and there's no parking charges there.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

Hey. I've passed my initial exam and interview. Went in to my local station 3 weeks ago, handed in my BR form and had a brief chat with the Sergeant. He looked through it, chatted away about where I could be stationed and that everything looked good so happy out with that. A week later he rang my references and all went well there too. I'm just wondering am I in for the long haul in regards to more interviews and the medical?

Hey. I've passed my initial exam and interview. Went in to my local station 3 weeks ago, handed in my BR form and had a brief chat with the Sergeant. He looked through it, chatted away about where I could be stationed and that everything looked good so happy out with that. A week later he rang my references and all went well there too. I'm just wondering am I in for the long haul in regards to more interviews and the medical?

Hey Veni,

Congrats on going for the Garda Reserve.

The time scale can vary for each candidate, the slowest part is the background check, ie, if you have family living abroad ect, and or if you have ever lived abroad, as they check each family member.
    Once they do there check and everything is ok, they will write to you with a date for your medical.
    I was waiting for a good few years from my interview to the date of my medical, in total I must of waited four years. But don't let that dishearten you at all. The waiting time for you may take a year or very well be less.

Hope that is some help to you, any other questions at all then let them out here.

Just reporting in about my medical today...passed! Off to training next week! Been a lengthy 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just reporting in about my medical today...passed! Off to training next week! Been a lengthy 2 years.

Excellent news!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cozzy66

Hey just got new today that my medical is at the start of June. I was waiting 5 months to be called for mine. Which doestn seem bad compared to some on this. Just a few questions. How long usually after doing the medical do you find out have you passed. Also does anyone know of any training intakes around the june time, that i could be called if I pass the medical. Also how long in total are you in HQ for the medical?

The medical itself are fairly quick, just the waiting around is quite long - Estimate between 2-4hours. I heard there is an intake in May/June/September. The doctor passes you there and then if all relevant paperwork has been received and you do actually pass. Good luck

The medical itself are fairly quick, just the waiting around is quite long - Estimate between 2-4hours. I heard there is an intake in May/June/September. The doctor passes you there and then if all relevant paperwork has been received and you do actually pass. Good luck

Great thanks a million. Id suppose id be too late for the june intake? My medical is the first week of June. Or if I did pass would it be possible to be called for that intake?

cozzy66 wrote: »
    Great thanks a million. Id suppose id be too late for the june intake? My medical is the first week of June. Or if I did pass would it be possible to be called for that intake?

I'm sure it is different for every individual but in my case - Medical last week, Templemore tomorrow. So could work.

I'm sure it is different for every individual but in my case - Medical last week, Templemore tomorrow. So could work.

Cool thanks very much. Id say you are looking forward to it? Hope it goes well. Maybe you could let me know how and what its like when your finished this phase. And if they are giving any information about future intakes ect? Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hey just got new today that my medical is at the start of June. I was waiting 5 months to be called for mine. Which doestn seem bad compared to some on this. Just a few questions. How long usually after doing the medical do you find out have you passed. Also does anyone know of any training intakes around the june time, that i could be called if I pass the medical. Also how long in total are you in HQ for the medical?

Congratulations :) when you got the news was it by phone or email or post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Congrats getting your medical. Just wondering how many people you had on your BR form for checks. And if any of them have history with being in trouble with the guards. Just so I can compare I have nine on mine and I think four of them have history.

smiley963 wrote: »
    Congrats getting your medical. Just wondering how many people you had on your BR form for checks. And if any of them have history with being in trouble with the guards. Just so I can compare I have nine on mine and I think four of them have history.

Hey ah there was 9 relations on my BR form. One was in Aus the rest reasonably local. As far as I knew anyway none were ever in trouble. I wouldnt imagine relations being in trouble will effect you BR check much unless its very serious. How long have you been waiting youself?

A.G.S wrote: »
    Congratulations :) when you got the news was it by phone or email or post ?

Hey I got the news by email, just saying the date and time. I have 3 days to confirm or i will lose my spot. Are you still waiting to be called youself? How long have you been waiting?

• Advertisement

Who's heading down tommorow??

Hey ah there was 9 relations on my BR form. One was in Aus the rest reasonably local. As far as I knew anyway none were ever in trouble. I wouldnt imagine relations being in trouble will effect you BR check much unless its very serious. How long have you been waiting youself?
    My BG checks started January 2012 and they told me it could about 6 months. Out of the 9 people on mine I think 4 of them had come to the attention of the Guards. But I am not in contact with any of them really. I have rang the other day They told me that some where back but not all them. They don't really tell you much at all. Just said some are back but still waiting on more so the commissioner can make his decision bit confusing alright. What's your thoughts. !!!

My BG checks started January 2012 and they told me it could about 6 months. Out of the 9 people on mine I think 4 of them had come to the attention of the Guards. But I am not in contact with any of them really. I have rang the other day They told me that some where back but not all them. They don't really tell you much at all. Just said some are back but still waiting on more so the commissioner can make his decision bit confusing alright. What's your thoughts. !!!

Ya mine started around the end of Janurary I think. All you can do is wait id suppose, never know might get a email in the next few days, might have the same medical date as me. I presume they do it all in groups. Just 5 weeks away now, hopefully if I do pass, training wont be too far around the corner.

Ya mine started around the end of Janurary I think. All you can do is wait id suppose, never know might get a email in the next few days, might have the same medical date as me. I presume they do it all in groups. Just 5 weeks away now, hopefully if I do pass, training wont be too far around the corner.
    Ye Hopefully so I'll give it the end of May try again. If you have got your medical for June I'd say there will b intake the end of June cause May intake phase 2 is over on the 3rd June so defo should be one soon you will prob make that one. You will find ou on the day of your medical when the next intake is you will prob get that one hopefully and hopefully soon I might get called!!! :-)

Who's heading down tommorow??

Myself

Hey I got the news by email, just saying the date and time. I have 3 days to confirm or i will lose my spot. Are you still waiting to be called youself? How long have you been waiting?

Thanks for answering my question bud :) I was wondering how it works, yeah I'm still waiting to be called for medical. Its been a year and two months of waiting its sickening :( good luck with the medical! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

Hi guys and girls i have been surfing around here for a while but never posted anything well my story is i have applied for GR and got as far as medical which is on the middle of May, the things is that my BMI is just above 30 (30.7)and with that i dont think i will pass at that, i play soccer and have been out jogging the last few weeks i dono weather or not to defer my medical or to go ahead with it?

irishgti wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls i have been surfing around here for a while but never posted anything well my story is i have applied for GR and got as far as medical which is on the middle of May, the things is that my BMI is just above 30 (30.7)and with that i dont think i will pass at that, i play soccer and have been out jogging the last few weeks i dono weather or not to defer my medical or to go ahead with it?

You will be fine! just keep with the running and where heavy clothing to sweat as much as possible while jogging. Go to the sauna the day before your medical if you can to shed some more weight, and most importantly dont eat anything before your medical! do all of this you should be fine :) Ive experience in cutting weight from boxing, it aint nice but it will pay off :) dont defer your medical just train hard and cut the weight, sweat is only fat crying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

A.G.S wrote: »
    You will be fine! just keep with the running and where heavy clothing to sweat as much as possible while jogging. Go to the sauna the day before your medical if you can to shed some more weight, and most importantly dont eat anything before your medical! do all of this you should be fine :) Ive experience in cutting weight from boxing, it aint nice but it will pay off :) dont defer your medical just train hard and cut the weight, sweat is only fat crying :D

Haha tnks AGS i have been wanting and waiting for this for too long just to fuc* it up at the last bit. i just wonder how exact are they in measuring your BMI?

• Advertisement

irishgti wrote: »
    Haha tnks AGS i have been wanting and waiting for this for too long just to fuc* it up at the last bit. i just wonder how exact are they in measuring your BMI?

I herd from friends who are in the GR and full time that they are spot on with the BMI and use skinfold calipers so no way of cheating it I'm afraid.
    If I were you I would train hard as possible to cut the weight down and then fast before the medical the night before. That way your body will be as light ass possible you could just snack on a frube yoghurt before you went in to keep some sugar in your body so you wont feel faint.

Advertisement