Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais announces World Tour

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I thought it was alright, the support act was good but I had heard so much of the material that Ricky used before and when you consider the ticket price it was a pretty poor show.

I've loved all his previous stuff but wouldn't go see him again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

...he was taking the piss.

ORLY?
    Maybe if he hadn't mentioned it 3 or 4 times I might have chuckled..
    I do get him, thats why I love him and all the stuff he has done.
    Just found the show very mediocre and was disappointed as I was so looking forward to seeing him for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Friday was the first time I had seen Ricky live, loved every minute. Thought that there was a few lulls in between the jokes but thats the rollercoaster ride that you get with stand up in general. It did seem to go quick but thats a good reflection of the show imo, if it seemed to go quite quick, but he was still standing there delivering jokes for over and hour then thats surely a good point not a bad one?
    The warm us was brilliant, I wasn't sure who was lined up to do it, I presumed like before Robin ince would be doing it but I thought Stewart Francis was very good. He was done his job very well, he's a warm up act, he was there to get the crowd going and not be the star of the show so the one liners work. The only criticism I would have was the gap between Stewart going off and Ricky coming on was a bit too long. The point is that Stewart warms the crowd up and it took so long for Ricky to come on after the interval it was like we had just re-entered for the first time.
    Other than that I wasn't disapointed, theres a subtelty to Ricky's stand up that doesn't seem to be well received here but I liked it. Stand up is subjective though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paulie101

I thought Friday was good but not amzing by any stretch.

Think I much prefer his TV shows (Office+Extras) but delighted I got to see him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I think this is one of the best episodes of Extras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Steward Francis was very entertaining, loved it when his joke about the English rugby team went down like a lead balloon, ha the Irish crowd doesnt buy into the sucking up!

Ricky's Noah section was very enjoyable. Did feel cheated when he ran off after what felt less than an hour. And yes everyone must have had very small bladders, it was ridiculous, the lads next to me left for a smoke during the Noah piece.

This is my fav David Brent moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

It seemed very short

He was on for approx an hour and a half straight ffs, what more did you want?!
    daysleeper wrote: »
    Only real criticism I might have with the show would be with the support act... I'm not sure of the guy's name but good jaysus he was bad... I've read most of his 'jokes' before on feckin members' signatures on boards.

erm....thats because people use his quotes as sigs on boards....not the other way round :rolleyes:

stewart francis is a legend but i think the crowd coming in to find their seats didnt help him one bit, when you could hear him he was solid gold!
    Ricky's Noah section was very enjoyable. Did feel cheated when he ran off after what felt less than an hour.

you kidding me?> he had done over an hour (the fact that you say it felt like less than an hour shows it was brilliant - time flies and all that BS) and the fact for ANY comedian to do an hour and a half straight it remarkable!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭highnc

thought the gig was very good. stewart francis warm up act was good too - "i don't like warm up acts either - but let's get through it" was a good opening line and stuttering sluts was a highlight - pity about everyone coming in "late" finding their seats during his act - what happened to the 7.30 cut-off!!!

really enjoyed ricky's part, although some of his material is modifying Karl's podcasts twaddle and rehashing some of his old topics from previous shows...pity but still laughed throughout. didn't like the way he ran off at the very end, when he said "start the car", he clearly meant it as he rushed off stage.

the amount of people coming and going during the gig got ridiculous at one stage but great gig all the same. can't wait for the inevitable DVD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

highnc wrote: »
    stewart francis warm up act was good too - "i don't like warm up acts either - but let's get through it" was a good opening line and stuttering sluts was a highlight - pity about everyone coming in "late" finding their seats during his act - what happened to the 7.30 cut-off!!!

Stewart Francis highlight was surely the "I've heard women say size doesn't matter, I think they're just shallow" gag :pac:, thought he was very good especially considering the crowd weren't helping him out.

I was a bit disappointed with Ricky, I'd heard an awful lot of the material before. I did enjoy it overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

highnc wrote: »
    didn't like the way he ran off at the very end, when he said "start the car", he clearly meant it as he rushed off stage.

Pretty sure he didn't mean it like that.I think he meant that the joke was so filthy he'd have to make a quick getaway..

Or something like that..

OMG the joke he went out on..
    'Well make something up then'... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Review: Ricky Gervais, 02 Dublin

By Eamon Sweeney
    Monday April 26 2010
    RICKY Gervais doesn't have to leave his Golden Globe and Emmy-winning comfort zone to make a buck. Having taken on 'Animals', 'Politics' and 'Fame', 'Science' supposedly is the next target for the Gervais comic treatment.

However, the title has little or no bearing on the show's 80-minute course, a fact that Gervais notes and attempts to turn into a joke. Like much of his latest show, it fails to ignite. Gervais has never been afraid to rattle a few cages, but his latest stunt is ill-advised and terribly lame. He tells of being ashamed of an incidence of drink driving, only to conclude this awful gag with an inexplicable rape reference.

This show lacks any apparent structure, rhyme or reason. Gervais waffles through a lacklustre set that would be poor at an intimate open mic night, whatever about an arena.

A routine about a Noah school book dominates the second half of the show and is an entertaining enough comic diversion. However, Eddie Izzard has been down this road before to much greater effect. Gervais's lack of quality material is surprising for a man who can churn out scripts.

At the end of the show he thanks the crowd for being the "best on the tour". If this is true, it just goes to show how Ricky Gervais live has become limp and lazy.

- Eamon Sweeney

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Thought it was a great gig, very enjoyable, the first 10 minutes were pure comedy gold from Ricky, the recession, the helicopter and insulting the entire audience and telling them how lucky they were to get tickets for a living legend, just brilliant.

Still cannot understand why people pay 40-50 euro for a ticket, accomodation and travel for the night and the proceed to spend the night going to the toilet/ bar, some people near me spent most of the night outside rather than watching what they paid to see.

As for Stewart Francis, that guy had to contend with most of the people looking for their seats and then having a good chat wondering who the guy reeling of the punchlines was.

The O2 is a great venue but the people moving around during the events really is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

For those who think Ricky wasn't being serious about the helicopter, there's two photos on his blog here:

http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Big time Ricky fan, like others I enjoyed the show on friday but it certainly wasn’t near ricky at his best. Thought his best bits were the bits where he was being himself and ad-libbing and being generally natural. Didn’t like hearing him using Karl's quotes as his own material - surely he's better than that! Don’t think Science and Fame are anywhere near the level of Animals and Politics.

Personally I'd have been much happier if the show had been himself, Karl and Stephen all chatting informally for an hour, ive been listening to the podcasts for the past few weeks (if you include the xfm series there's so much material of the 3 of them out there, 80% of which will have you in tears of laughter) and they are what I consider Ricky doing what he does best, one of the funniest things about the guy is his really loud hysterical laugh.

Didn’t think he put enough time into writing this show (in fairness the guy's always got a million projects on the go at any time, considering his latest movie and new c4 animated series are out now, and a new sky show with Karl starting soon - so he's got a lot on his plate) but I'd rather not see him tour than tour with a show that doesn’t do him justice. I often get the feeling he's trying to achieve too much with his career, how many other people have written and starred in 2 TV series and inspired a third that’s still running in america, written and starred in 3 movies (albeit 2 of them getting dire reviews), starred in god knows how many record breaking podcasts and radio shows, and performed 4 stand up shows, with a few other less major side projects and a few books. All in the space of about 10 years - its actually incredible.

I had read the reviews of the show so wasn’t that disappointed as I had expected it to be sub-standard. Thought the O2 was incredible, its huge! I was near enough to the back (not in the back block but the one before it) and couldn’t really make Ricky out so just ended up watching im on the big screens which slightly took away from the thrill of seeing him live.

For anyone who wasn’t at the show, this video samples a lot of the jokes of stewart frances, the support on the night. I really liked him but some people around me just didn’t seem to laugh at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWH5XubGKLA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

samf wrote: »
    Thought the O2 was incredible, its huge! I was near enough to the back (not in the back block but the one before it) and couldn’t really make Ricky out so just ended up watching im on the big screens which slightly took away from the thrill of seeing him live.

Can't understand the appeal of going to see comedy in such a large venue. You are so detached from the person on stage and the fact that there are so many people at the gig who get up and walk around and basically don't listen to the show.... seems to be harder to do at a small venue where the audience police themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wrote up a quick review for those thinking about watching/buying his new Science Live stand-up DVD :

I'll preface this review by saying I'm a huge Ricky Gervais fan. He's my favourite comedian. I love his sarcastic, observational humour and hilarious situational impressions. I've been watching him since the 11 o'clock show over ten years ago.

I saw his performance live in Dublin and again on DVD. This stand-up is funny, but it's not nearly as funny or bitingly satirical as the rest of his DVDs. I was a little disappointed that there was almost no jokes/routines centered around Science; it was all general stand-up and religion, which has been covered before. That's not to say it wasn't funny, it's just not up to his previous high standards.

Overall, you're not missing out. This is his least funny DVD, as you'd hope for and expect much better. Really only give it a watch if you're a die-hard Gervais fan.

Advertisement