Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais announces World Tour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

What Time will Ricky Be Finishing up do people reckon?? 7.30 seems very early for starting even with support acts:O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

What Time will Ricky Be Finishing up do people reckon?? 7.30 seems very early for starting even with support acts:O

you're lookin at half 10, there or there abouts id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

you're lookin at half 10, there or there abouts id say!

Or earlier if Edinburgh is any indication.

I saw the show there with the same support act and it was over about 9:40 as far as I can remember, with the same start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

^ Any idea what time the interval was at? My friend has an exam tomorrow evening and she couldn't sell the ticket so she's going to try and make it for the interval. She'd want to, she paid €60 for her ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Jesus I hope it is over early, i've got to get back to N.u.i Galway for an exam at 10 a.m saturday morning:eek:

• Advertisement

^ Any idea what time the interval was at? My friend has an exam tomorrow evening and she couldn't sell the ticket so she's going to try and make it for the interval. She'd want to, she paid €60 for her ticket!

Well the show started about ten mins after the advertised time and Stewart Francis was on for 20-25 mins so I'd say he'll finish up somewhere between 8-8:20. Ricky will prob come on about 8:40.

Please note I'm just going off Edinburgh, this could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

bret69 wrote: »
    Well the show started about ten mins after the advertised time and Stewart Francis was on for 20-25 mins so I'd say he'll finish up somewhere between 8-8:20. Ricky will prob come on about 8:40.

i hope to gawd you are not wrong....if we get Stewart Francis as the support that is just the best gig ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Cool, thanks! Another friend of mine is coming instead so it won't matter now :)

So bloody excited, but I feel so nervous for some reason! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

It's Friday evening, warmish out, I'm finishing up work for the weekend in 15 minutes and then it's Ricky Gervais time!!

This should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bit disappointed to be honest - very good in parts, other parts felt like he was trying stuff out. 6/10 from me.

It seemed very short and I didn't think it was as good as Politics, but I still thought tonight was amazing! (especially the excerpts from Noah's Ark!)

Bit peeed off at the number of people getting up to leave and coming back though. One guy left our row and had to climb over everyone about 3 times during the show. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

Absolutely loved Ricky tonight! good god I thought he was superb! He just seemed to be in fantastic form and the jokes were a flowin' all night :)

Only real criticism I might have with the show would be with the support act... I'm not sure of the guy's name but good jaysus he was bad... Throwing out one-liners/puns for 35 minutes straight... I honestly couldn't wait for it to be over. And for god's sake- I've read most of his 'jokes' before on feckin members' signatures on boards. The cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭theflesh

Thought the show was great. Hadn't seen him live before and laughed pretty much the whole way through. He mentioned at one stage that it was the best gig of the tour - thought that was just something he said everywhere to get a cheer but to quote his blog again...
    OK. Just played the O2 Dublin. Best gig I've ever done. And I don't mean because of me. It was overwhelming. Thank you so much to the most amazing crowd I have ever experienced.

I was blown away. It was worth every penny of the 12 grand, (plus ****ing VAT of course), I paid for the helicopter to get there. (It seriously was though. Cheers Dublin. I'll be back)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

tbh wrote: »
    bit disappointed to be honest - very good in parts, other parts felt like he was trying stuff out. 6/10 from me.

Have to agree totally..............wasn't a great show at all.
    I'm a huge fan - all the podcasts, dvd's etc but i wasn't impressed.
    Some of it was good but the ken dodd stuff etc just wasn't funny.
    The warm up guy actually got bigger laughs tbh.
    Gutted because i had built it up to be something unbelievable.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Thought the show was brilliant laughed my ass off all the way through. Ricky was on great form. As a huge fan I really enjoyed it.

Do people suffer with weak bladders or are we all just piss heads who can't sit still without a pint in hand? Honestly I don't understand the need to leave your seat every 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I thought he was really great, shocked to see people saying the support act got more laughs, must have been at a different show to me. I think he has improved as a stand up and is really great now.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Have to agree totally..............wasn't a great show at all.
    I'm a huge fan - all the podcasts, dvd's etc but i wasn't impressed.
    Some of it was good but the ken dodd stuff etc just wasn't funny.
    I think that may have been the problem - he recycled a lot of old stuff - there was a lot of stuff I'd heard before. For example, the bit about the christmas present - that's all Karl from the podcast.

I'm really surprised he said it was his best gig ever - I went to see Politics in the point and I was crying with laughter - there were huge waves of laughter for the whole show. I just didn't get that last night, the whole thing was way more disjointed. Like - the film before the show started - what the hell was that? It seemed to me like a lot of effort to go to for something that didn't really do anything except make a lot of cum-jokes.

I did enjoy myself last night, and I did enjoy parts of the routine, but imo this is definately the weakest of his shows yet. I would say that the DVD will have significant differences to what we saw last night, whereas Politics was pretty much word-for-word, showing it was more of a finished article when he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think that may have been the problem - he recycled a lot of old stuff - there was a lot of stuff I'd heard before. For example, the bit about the christmas present - that's all Karl from the podcast.

I'm really surprised he said it was his best gig ever - I went to see Politics in the point and I was crying with laughter - there were huge waves of laughter for the whole show. I just didn't get that last night, the whole thing was way more disjointed. Like - the film before the show started - what the hell was that? It seemed to me like a lot of effort to go to for something that didn't really do anything except make a lot of cum-jokes.

I did enjoy myself last night, and I did enjoy parts of the routine, but imo this is definately the weakest of his shows yet. I would say that the DVD will have significant differences to what we saw last night, whereas Politics was pretty much word-for-word, showing it was more of a finished article when he did it.

Couldn't agree more^^

Heard 2 lads on the luas on the way home - "man i loved the girl with no arms on the swing joke"
    "I can't believe you've never heard that one before, it's a classis!!"

I agree with the stuff taken from the podcasts - the goat is karl's and is old as the hills!!

I think i had built it up to much and then was let down cause i wasn't crippled over with laughter.

• Advertisement

Scien wrote: »

I don't see how he was trying out new stuff last night,
    He told us he was, right at the start, remember? ;) afaik that was the second show on this tour.

I went to see Politics in the point and I was crying with laughter - there were huge waves of laughter for the whole show.

I would have KILLED to see that show!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Decent gig.

Was it just me or when he said "Goodnight ladies & gents etc.etc." the first time did anyone else feel a little hard done by/robbed that he had only worked off a handful of topics? And many were either audiobook stuff or old jokes...left a bitter taste for the 20minute encore.

Best part was probably "Noah"...fairly consistent laughs there. A few sick one liners and stories were good too...

A bit too much "I can say whatever the f*ck I like","political correctness gone mad" sort of chat. Felt like shouting "We agree Ricky...now get on with the jokes!"
    It was good though. SCIENCE my arse!

Was he really drinking the Guinness ?? Looked empty to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

BTW..interesting how he came off just as his show on Channel 4 was starting :rolleyes:

Ends cynicism

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It was definitely funny but I chuckled a lot more than I flat out laughed in the way that Bill Bailey/Ross Noble/amateur standups have made me in the last 18 months. Good, not great and definitely wouldn't go to see him again.

Lots of stories/jokes telegraphed the ending a long way off and I kept waiting for him to get on with it. The "Noah" stuff was ok, again I was chuckling rather than wishing he would stop because my cheeks were hurting which is what I expect from such a lauded comedian. Bailey and Noble definitely delivered in this regard, Gervais did not.

Also, he's a smug prick. He plays on it and it is funny, for about 5 minutes, but it gets old very quickly. We get it, you hired a helicopter, fair play to you, now get on with the show.

Top marks to the O2 though, phenomenal venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I'm a massive fan and took a friend who isnt, to it..

I was so dissappointed as its my first time to see him live.. My mate didn't enjoy it at all and just dosen't seem to get him even though I had promised that this gig would change his mind about him..

I thought the support was excellent, I laughed out loud a hell of a lot more than I did when Ricky came on..

The whole 12K for the helicopter thing annoyed me.. Fuck off, how much have you made from tonight alone:rolleyes: Didn't enjoy the noah's ark thing either.. The only time I actually burst out laughing was when he was messing around with his hair doing the Mongo thing, and he pushed it back and said.. Back to handsome!:pac:

Still love him and and await his new sitcom with steven merchant about the dwarf with anticipation but was defo not impressed with that gig.

Loopy wrote: »
    The whole 12K for the helicopter thing annoyed me.. Fuck off, how much have you made from tonight alone:rolleyes:

...he was taking the piss.

I saw the same show in August '09 in Edinburgh, so it's been goin a while. Def not the second show in the tour lol!

Also, some people saying they didn't like some bits such as Noah etc. I can't understand that cause that's classic Gervais. If you didn't find that funny, how can you find the other things funny?!

Having said that, comedy is a subjective thing...some people in this thread alone saying the support act was awful / some saying he was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I saw the same show in August '09 in Edinburgh, so it's been goin a while. Def not the second show in the tour lol!

Also, some people saying they didn't like some bits such as Noah etc. I can't understand that cause that's classic Gervais. If you didn't find that funny, how can you find the other things funny?!

Having said that, comedy is a subjective thing...some people in this thread alone saying the support act was awful / some saying he was brilliant.

Some well made points there.

People seemed to have gone to the show and then were shocked by his style. The helicopter thing was a joke Jesus Christ you don't have to find it funny but don't take it seriously...jeez I wonder about people some times. So much of the show was classic gervais Noah, fat people, fame, religion etc so if you didn't get it you never will like him. Of course it's all subjective but people not " getting it" is mind boggling.

Advertisement