Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I'm amazed at how effective these are at stopping smoking.
    I've smoked constantly for more than thirty years and have spent the last couple of weeks without a single fag.
    I wasn't even really trying to give them up. I bought a set up, with advice from Sir Digby, mostly for the other half who was moaning on about giving up. She didn't seem too impressed with the idea and in a bid to convince her to try them I fired one up myself and haven't smoked since.

My only regret is that it has taken me so long to find them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

congrats :)
    the best thing about them imo is even if you slip up and have a few cigs, or even a packet.. it's not like going cold turkey, you dont immediately say "well **** it, that's done now.. guess i'll go back to smoking". you can just accept the slip and go back to vaping the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

congrats :)
    the best thing about them imo is even if you slip up and have a few cigs, or even a packet.. it's not like going cold turkey, you dont immediately say "well **** it, that's done now.. guess i'll go back to smoking". you can just accept the slip and go back to vaping the next day

I honestly haven't felt the need to reach for the half full box that is still sitting there. I did, after a few pints, find myself going for the fag box, but that was just reflex really.
    My only fear now is running out of battery. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

Hi all, newbie to vaping here and I would appreciate some advice.

Just received delivery of a Joyetech ego-t this morning and have been testing it out. Working well - plenty of vapour.

However I am finding it is giving me symptoms akin to nicotine overload. Slight headrush and dizziness and not feeling 100%. Now I have been taking it easy! - had about 5 puffs of 11mg RY4 at a time and only about 25 in total all day. Even after 5 puffs I was getting a bit of an unwelcome "rush" rather than satisfaction.

I would usually smoke about 20 0.7mg nicotine cigs a day and have been doing so for 15 years so I am far from a newbie to nicotine. I would not get these symptoms when smoking analogues. Should I cut down to the 6mg liquid (which I don't have at the moment!) or give it a chance? Is this normal when one first starts out and will it pass after a few days vaping?

hrm, that sounds a bit strange
    i got the headrushes and whatnot when i first started, but i was vaping 24mg and was almost constantly vaping so I just was getting too much nicotine
    if you're vaping 11mg.. that's strange
    you really shouldn't be getting nicotine rushes from 11mg unless you're pouring the juice into a shotglass and downing it in one

maybe you're allergic to pg, the base liquid of many ejuices. that can happen, but I dont know if the symptoms you are describing are common.. from what i read it's mostly headaches, itchiness, sore throat, etc

hopefully someone else can give you a proper answer

--edit
    had a quick google
    3. Headache, Nausea, Shakiness - but see #V4
    These, together with irritability, inability to concentrate, poor sleep, depression and so on, are common nicotine withdrawal symptoms. If you are using a low-strength refill liquid and not absorbing as much nicotine as when you normally smoked, you can experience these withdrawal symptoms, which typically last only a few days to a week. Perhaps the use of a higher nic strength refill liquid might be a good idea temporarily, reducing the strength as needed. But: see V4

from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3305-list-symptoms-when-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

and the "see v4" from above
    It is said that some people experience one or other of the above symptoms even with a low nicotine liquid and find that switching to VG solves their problems, although such symptoms of PG intolerance are not widely believed to exist never mind be proven. It is more likely that such a reduction of the symptom/s (while staying at the same nic level) would be due to an intolerance to flavorings, colorings or similar used in an eliquid, and changing to a VG liquid simply removed those particular ingredients - see footnote.

so it could be that you're not actually getting enough nicotine, or it's a reaction to the juice.. either the pg base or a flavouring inside it.

or it could be something else entirely.. but something to think about at least.

• Advertisement

another thread here had this

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/162176-first-try-wooooo-what-head-rush.html
    Did you remember to blow out your atomizer first? Some folks have that reaction when they accidentally get a lungful of the packing primer that they ship the atomizer with.

could be that too.. the **** they prime the tank atties with is pretty horrible from what I recall, i dont think it ever gave me a head rush but I wouldn't put it past them

hrm, that sounds a bit strange........

Hi Digby. Thanks a million for your response. The headrush is mild in fairness but is kind of immediate on taking a puff which is indeed strange. It only lasts a minute or two and again is very mild. Maybe I will just need a day or two to get used to it or maybe I am imagining things! I will keep at the 11mg gently and see how it goes.

maybve try this. take out the cartridge and just give the atomiser a blow out, it might be the primer and that should help get rid of most of it

another thread here had this

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/162176-first-try-wooooo-what-head-rush.html

could be that too.. the **** they prime the tank atties with is pretty horrible from what I recall, i dont think it ever gave me a head rush but I wouldn't put it past them

I didn't blow out the atty - didn't know you had to! - not mentioned in the manual. I'll give that a go on the other atty I have (got 2 in the starter pack) and see if it makes a diff.

maybve try this. take out the cartridge and just give the atomiser a blow out, it might be the primer and that should help get rid of most of it

Fair play Digby - I think you've cracked it!

Just did that on the other one and a fair amount of foul chemically smelling liquid came out. About the same as in the vid. I have been vaping that in the other one! No wonder I was getting headrushes. Must be akin to sniffing solvents.

• Advertisement

haha
    good news so :)

you can do the same with the first atomiser too, maybe do it two or three times as youve probably covered it in juice having been vaping with it
    enjoy anyway

haha
    good news so :)

you can do the same with the first atomiser too, maybe do it two or three times as youve probably covered it in juice having been vaping with it
    enjoy anyway

Will do. Thanks very much for your help. I'll post to let you know how I get on in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

Hi guys. I am vaping now for a week and haven't touched an analog fag since. I was smoking for 25 years and always wanted to quit for health and now also for financial reasons. I tried gum, patches and all the other stuff that is out there but nothing worked. Deep down I knew why and that was because I really liked smoking. It wasn't so much the nicotin but the psychological dependency. And I knew that.
    I always thought, God, if there was just something out there that was remotely close to cigarettes, but not as unhealthy and expensive.
    Then I came across this thread 2 weeks ago by pure accident and couldn't believe it. It was the first time I ever heard of vaping and e- cigarettes. I decided to give it a go and BANG!!! all of a sudden giving up fags is a walk in the park. I know switching from smoking to vaping is not quite the same as kicking the habit alltogether. But I just know its as far away from the health risks, as I will ever get.

I am writing this in here in this thread because I want to Thank mewso for starting this thread and all the other regular posters here. You changed my life and you helped to possibly add another couple of years to it.

God Bless You and the people who invented e-cigarettes and vaping. I hope they are very rich people by now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I hope they are very rich people by now....
    I think they are, well some of them anyway.
    Great to hear your story and hope it keeps up. I found that after a month or so I started thinking 'sure one cig wouldnt hurt' and you know what... it didn't, I didn't like the taste anymore. Don't need em, don't want em.
    And I never intended quiting :)

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I think they are, well some of them anyway.
    Great to hear your story and hope it keeps up. I found that after a month or so I started thinking 'sure one cig wouldnt hurt' and you know what... it didn't, I didn't like the taste anymore. Don't need em, don't want em.
    And I never intended quiting :)

Thanks Tommy. I know I shouldn't be spouting about it after only one week, but I am pretty confident that I will never touch the real thing again. From the very start I enjoyed the taste and sensation of vaping much more and got the same 'fix' as with the fags.
    Eventually it would be nice if I could come off the e-cigs as well. But I wont put myself under pressure. I think for me its important to change my behaviour and daly routine. When I was smoking (25-30 a day) I could think of nothing else but the next time I could go outside for a fag again. At home the same as at work.
    I am still going outside at home for vaping as we have kids and I dont want to expose them to anything that is potentially harmful even less so than the real thing and I dont want them to see me doing it either but I can already see a change. I am not only just living from one fag to the next but only go outside if I have a real craving. I am definitely vaping less than I was smoking. So I guess thats a start in the direction of kicking the habit alltogether. I am still on 18 mg but will reduce gradually. Again no pressure.
    God, I am such a happy camper and excited about this. What a great start into the new year!!! Cant believe I haven't come across this much earlier. Please excuse some spelling mistakes in my posts but I am not a native english speaker :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The one thing I find I'd that although the e-cig satisfies the cravings, it also still seems to be lacking something. No desire for an analogue but almost like missing something else aside from nic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

donadoni wrote: »
    Thanks Tommy. I know I shouldn't be spouting about it after only one week, but I am pretty confident that I will never touch the real thing again. From the very start I enjoyed the taste and sensation of vaping much more and got the same 'fix' as with the fags.
    Eventually it would be nice if I could come off the e-cigs as well. But I wont put myself under pressure. I think for me its important to change my behaviour and daly routine. When I was smoking (25-30 a day) I could think of nothing else but the next time I could go outside for a fag again. At home the same as at work.
    I am still going outside at home for vaping as we have kids and I dont want to expose them to anything that is potentially harmful even less so than the real thing and I dont want them to see me doing it either but I can already see a change. I am not only just living from one fag to the next but only go outside if I have a real craving. I am definitely vaping less than I was smoking. So I guess thats a start in the direction of kicking the habit alltogether. I am still on 18 mg but will reduce gradually. Again no pressure.
    God, I am such a happy camper and excited about this. What a great start into the new year!!! Cant believe I haven't come across this much earlier. Please excuse some spelling mistakes in my posts but I am not a native english speaker :o

Not a native English speaker??? You write better than 90% of the native speakers I know!! Well done to you and well done on your efforts to quit smoking!:)

The one thing I find I'd that although the e-cig satisfies the cravings, it also still seems to be lacking something. No desire for an analogue but almost like missing something else aside from nic.

the carbon monoxide, fermaldehyde, various other ****ed up chemicals and the general sense of being a cool son of a bitch.. probably :)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Not a native English speaker??? You write better than 90% of the native speakers I know!! Well done to you and well done on your efforts to quit smoking!:)

Well, the last time I posted on a forum in english language I had a discussion with someone who constantly pointed out my spelling and grammar mistakes. Then again, I had a bit of an argument with him, so its no wonder. But since that I am always pointing out that I am a foreigner when I am new somewhere.Because I know I make mistakes, despite my wife being irish and her drilling me english with a stick. But thats for a different topic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BeetleDeuce

Sir DCC has hit the nail on the head. What your missing is all the nasty chemicals. Arsenic, Cyanide, Lead, Amonia, Methane, rocket fuel and 4000 others.
    As for your English ...nothing wrong with that mate. b.t.w ...Did you ask the guy you had the argument with how many languages he spoke. Speaking for myself, I can only speak 1 language and that's not even my native language lol...
    Good luck with the vaping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Donadoni, what flavour liquid did you start with or did you get cartridges?

I started vaping myself this time last year, I don't need to keep using the e-cig but i'm going to keep it for a while longer!

Sir DCC has hit the nail on the head. What your missing is all the nasty chemicals. Arsenic, Cyanide, Lead, Amonia, Methane, rocket fuel and 4000 others.
    As for your English ...nothing wrong with that mate. b.t.w ...Did you ask the guy you had the argument with how many languages he spoke. Speaking for myself, I can only speak 1 language and that's not even my native language lol...
    Good luck with the vaping

I think Sir DCC was not responding to me but to Green Hornet. I can assure you that I dont miss any of that stuff. I am just incredibly happy to be rid of it.
    To be fair to the guy I had the argument with, he didn't know I wasn't a native.
    I had my first tough test today, having been at a birthday party in a private house, where there were also some smokers. Just back home from there. Thought I might be tempted to go for an analoge if I have a couple of drinks and smell the real stuff.
    Guess what, I passed the test. Wasn't interested at all. In fact, I was the star of the show with my vaping machine. Might even have converted some of them :) They had never heard of it either....

Tayla wrote: »
    Donadoni, what flavour liquid did you start with or did you get cartridges?

I started vaping myself this time last year, I don't need to keep using the e-cig but i'm going to keep it for a while longer!

I have a 510 T and started with Camel and Apple. Its both much better than the taste of the real thing but I will try some different tastes with my next order. I also want to change to a egoT when I have saved some money with not smoking.Wont take long since a packet of B+H, which I used to smoke, is now 9.10 Euro. A lot of people recommended the egoT in a different vaping forum that I signed up to yesterday.

I also want to reduce the nicotine strenght with every purchase of liquid. I am on 24 mg now, which I have the feeling is a bit too strong. Mind You, I am going to keep a bottle of 24 mg in reserve, just in case I dont get enough of a fix from the liquids with less nicotine in it.

I just found an interesting thread over on EC Forum. Not sure if I am allowed to link it.
    Somebody that is doing studies in relation to smoking, vaping etc. is making a point, that one thing that could be a cause for people like yourself that feel that there is still something lacking in vaping compared to cigarette smoking, are the so called Beta Carbolines and MOA-A inhibitors, that are being found in tobacco.
    He basically says, that these Carbolines seem to make the effect of nicotine more potent and also seem to have a soothing, calming effect on their own.

Here is a quote of his summary:
    "My research into carbolines was the most exciting by far, and will not likely be repeated. It has brought together insights into smoking, and more besides, that ties up so much of what I have researched previously. The importance of these findings and analysis is quite breathtaking. The details may be somewhat fuzzy but the overall scheme is well-defined. So here is a brief summary.

Carbolines are a type of alkaloid with psychoactive, and other, properties that are fairly widespread in nature. Some of the beta carbolines, in particular, have been found to have a bariety of beneficial therapeutic effects. Psychoactively, while some tend to hallucinatory effects, others, and this would include thse in tobacco, have a calming effects similar to opiates (and affecting some of the same receptor sites).

The beta carbolines in tobacco, possibly in conjunction with other alkaloids, particularly those also with MAOI activity, play a role that is both supporting of the activity of nicotine (via MAOI activity), and possibly a secondary more direct role on their own. Together, the synergy of MAOIs plus nicotine, plus additional mild, opiate-like activity, provide the unique features of tobacco smoke on human psychology (mild alertness coupled with mild relaxation).

Previous research, mostly un-noted, suggests that beta carbolines are likely the key alkaloids responsible for the 'something missing' experienced with nicotine alone. Others' extractions of beta carbolines from beta carboline rich sources is a strong indicator that this is indeed on the right lines, given the similarity of color of that extraction with the recent tobacco extraction noted in this thread.

Clues led to the nature of harmful toxins called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) in cooked and processed foods. These are created by the action of heat on micxtures of carbohydrates and proteins/dehydrated proteins. One type of HCA is carbolines. While some of the carbolines will be beta carbolines, others will be toxic alpha carbolines. In general most HCAs are bad news. The levels in cooked foods can be far higher than even those found in cigarette smoke (cigarette smoke contains many other toxins too though).

Nevertheless, the existence of some beta carbolines among the generally toxic HCAs is quite likely a reason why there is an 'addiction' to processed and fast foods beyond ease and sweet taste. From a health perspective, an 'addiction' to food that contains high levels of HCAs (and other similar heat induced toxins), and that are also often devoid of significant nutritional value, is serious matter, whose effects are becoming ever clearer.

Ethanol is primarily a 'downer', with the 'high' attributed to preferential slowing of the frontal cortex creating lowered social inhibitions. But there is likely more to it than that, and once again beta carolines might play a key role.

Indeed, I am proposing that beta carbolines play a key role in a broad range of pharmacologically mediated 'addictictiveness', primarily through a mild stimulation of the opiate mediated reward system, and particularly strongly when combined with nicotine and other MAOIs in smoking, with an endorphin release also involved.

In the context of smoking, the inclusion of beta carbolines - and indeed, the whole family of alkaloids found in tobacco - will ensure the best possible efficacy for smoking replacement products. It is almost impossible to over-stress the importance of this point.

E-liquid that has the other alkaloids prsent is likely to be more effective not only for more people in replacing tobacco smoking, but also reduce consumption of nicotine (and the carrier PG etc) by being more effective at satiation.

I look forward to seeing blind studies comparing the effectiveness and consumption levels of normal e-liquid, full spectrum alkaloid e-liquid and nicotine plus beta carbolines.

The extraction of full spectrum alkaloids from tobacco would be easier than just nicotine as isolation of the alkaloids would likely be a step in isolating just nicotine. However, without some kind of 'harm reduction umbrella' statutory-wise, suppliers might be loathe to market a 'natural extract of mixed alkaloids'. But if the FDA and others wanted to show a real commitment to reducing smoking, they would embrace this, offsetting any possible harm/risks with the far greater harm of not allowing it, as is routinely calculated for drugs.

(A designation of 'tobacco product' would be better than 'drug' in this regard if the opportunity here for running with the 'harm reduction' categorisation is missed.)

Testing can confirm this, but if we take the known ingredients route and add only those alkaloids that are safe and effective to pure nicotine, then the beta-carbolines found in tobacco (or some of) are the likely candidate.

All logic and real concern for health points to the pragmatic solution to an entrenched problem. Will it happen? Maybe, but it will take some bold decision making by regulators. We can simply keep putting forward the facts and in time, with public support, it might come to pass.

Experimental results will go a long way to convince, us as a community first of all, that the 'something missing' is not (just) 'enough nic', but an important co-factor.

Yeah, I was just generally making the point that the brain will be missing the Arsenic, Cyanide, Lead, Amonia, Methane, rocket fuel and 4000 other chemicals in laymans terms for other posters to read in case they feel there is something "missing". There is something missing but as you rightly point out ...there is really nothing to miss except the nasty chemicals and that can only be a good thing.

btw, I take back my last comment If the guy did not know you were foreign...but still ...it's a bit silly for anyone to be complaining about grammer on a place such as a forum. I mean, how many tbh, imo ****ed up etc etc are used on forums eh. A forum is hardly a place to come to for the grammer imo.
    Why do you think you are not allowed to link to e cig articles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I use an eGo and DCC LR XL. What is the next step up without mods etc? Often thought about the eGo tanks but I used 510 T LR previously and was not too impressed. The only positive was that I could see what remained in the tank.

Tried smokeymisers but they blew batteries and were way too fiddly for me personally. If DCC are as good as it gets without mods that's fine too!

Yeah, I was just generally making the point that the brain will be missing the Arsenic, Cyanide, Lead, Amonia, Methane, rocket fuel and 4000 other chemicals in laymans terms for other posters to read in case they feel there is something "missing". There is something missing but as you rightly point out ...there is really nothing to miss except the nasty chemicals and that can only be a good thing.

btw, I take back my last comment If the guy did not know you were foreign...but still ...it's a bit silly for anyone to be complaining about grammer on a place such as a forum. I mean, how many tbh, imo ****ed up etc etc are used on forums eh. A forum is hardly a place to come to for the grammer imo.
    Why do you think you are not allowed to link to e cig articles?

Just thought they might not like it if I link to another forum, as in not advertising the competition. I could be wrong though.

I use an eGo and DCC LR XL. What is the next step up without mods etc? Often thought about the eGo tanks but I used 510 T LR previously and was not too impressed. The only positive was that I could see what remained in the tank.

Tried smokeymisers but they blew batteries and were way too fiddly for me personally. If DCC are as good as it gets without mods that's fine too!

Latest thing out there is the eGo W / F1--- eGo C and DCT ( Dual Coil Tank).
    The W and F1 are similar (if not the same more or less) in that you can see the wick in a "T" type cartridge.

The Dual coil Tank is a cross between a big "T" ( Tank) type cartridge with a cartomizer stuck in the middle of it and can hold 3.5 ml or 6 ml.

The eGo "C" has great potential because you can replace the wick.
    Yep, getting to that wick could be a game changer.

eGo "W" http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=z5TiGL6pJYQ

eGo "C" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbx726XuABQ

"DCT" ( Dual Coil Tank) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkb95to3hmI&feature=related

With the DCT I reckon you will need to pierce a larger hole in the cartomizer if you are using V.G liquid as the V.G is thicker but it's not a problem and v. easy to do. Doesn't have to be done with a drill, a simple punch of a nail can get the job done. Also holds 3.5ml or 6ml of liquid so big capacity.
    May even need to pierce a hole with P.G but again, no big deal.

Well, they are new boys on the block as we get closer to the perfect e cig lol. The "W" F1 are retailing between €55 and €60 so reasonable enough.
    The eGo C is selling for $80 with liberty flights http://liberty-flights.com/product.asp?id=137 and was reduced from $100.
    Only time will tell what their Achilles heel will be ...if any. we'll see eh.

Just found a another link for the eGo C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSOTeopFSeI&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Hello,

Is there a walk in shop to buy e-liquid in Dublin City?

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Hi all,

really want to give e-cigs a go but am completely lost as to which brand to get/where to start? can you buy stuff in actual shops in dublin or is it all online? what's the best one around atm? I kind want one that looks like a cigarette too although it's not essential i guess.

thanks

Advertisement