Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water supply turned off - who is running this mess?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMoose

Heart of the matter.

"THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOUR FOR WATER".

This is just an other factor in the justification process.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I'm so desperate that I'd gladly pay rite now if that would mean i'd have water tomorrow!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

seems nobody is running anything around here anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMoose

amira wrote: »
    I'm so desperate that I'd gladly pay rite now if that would mean i'd have water tomorrow!! :(

Oh, of course you would.

:rolleyes: "you've been 'ad"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Fook all anyone can do about it unless you want to spend a fortune of taxpayers money on pressurised water supplies.

Here we use the good old fashioned gravity fed system which has worked since the Roman empire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Take a look at the Westmeath forum, some people have had no water at all since before Christmas.
    I myself have been without water since Friday so it will be a week tomorrow.
    We have had water cut off times from 8pm to 8am since before New year.

In our case, it seems that whatever pipes feed our estate and most of the town I think are frozen as the water is not actually cut off.

My case is that the water levels are so low that there is no way we can get water in the fingal area where i live.

Thing is.. what do you do to get water? seriously.. i need water and i have no big containers with lid to go get it from the tanker.. my question was a serious one, where can i get a big container with lid? and do they have a special name so i can ask around for them?? pls.. help!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Builders providers maybe? You can always get one that is used for homebrewing which is what I used to collect water to flush the toilets.
    You would have to order one but you should have it tomorrow from a homebrew supplier like www.homebrewwest.com but they are food grade and at €10 plus shipping might be more expensive than a large container from a builders suppliers.

Thanks a lot!! at least someone finally gave me a solution!! will do some research now see if i can find somthing!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

So my local counsellor (northside Dublin) has told a neighbour (who has no water, my house has low pressure so 1 tap in the kitchen works) that we will be without water for a further 5 days (day 3 now) because, despite being in & paying tax to Dublin City Council, Fingal supply us with our water, and they refuse to send sufficient water supplies into DCC area's. 5mins down the road is my girlfriend's house who has full flowing water where I now have to go to shower etc. On top of that, the two tankers that are either side of the area have yet to be seen in the locations the DCC website says.

This country ranks 9th in the world (according to google) on the rich list using GDP metrics... yet a huge amount of us have no water, little water, are flooded and have wrecked cars because no one gritted the roads.

3inches of snow and the country falls apart. Worse still is there's no information and no one holding their hand up with responsibility. If the former Time Warner CEO can say it was his fault the AOL deal was so bad and take full responsibility for job losses etc., why can't our political figures stand up and say sorry and get the job done. I bet no one is working overnight to provide our first world citizens with a basic human requirement.

Can't wait until I've graduated. I shall be leaving this kip ASAP. Only voluntary tax I'll be paying this year is the one-way ticket out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whoever's ultimately responsible for this debacle should get a big tap on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I dont want to fall on the rude side and say what i really think of ppol who openly defend that leaving taps running is a good idea!! Yes, we agree, there is a big problem with infrastructure but water is a natural resource and needs to be preserved!!! NOT WASTED!!!!

Yes, we still should blame the govt for their incapacity, but that still is not a excuse!! And if bringing on charges on water is gonna stop ppol wasting the water as they are, well then, bring them on!!!

I have no water since sunday,
    Why should the rest of the country shut down shop because your having problems. I'd more than likely never see the water that appears in your taps and it's not like people had there taps turned on full, they had a trickle coming out of the taps. Most the homes in my area where unaffected the newer houses that where thrown up in a shot all had frozen taps unless they kept the taps running. Many businesses ended up with frozen pipes because they didn't run the taps.

Your water problems have nothing to do with me so you'd be much better off talking to your neighbours than announcing to the nation that they're all bastards because your water doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

No water here since Monday morning. It's a fúcking joke. They have tankers roaming around and because the water went while i was at work i haven't been able to buy a big enough carton to fill the water in. I only get home 15 minutes before they leave anyways so all i can do is get around with a few bottles. All the local shops are sold out of bottles of water. Couldn't get any last night in 4 shops. Like how are you supposed to shower, flush toilets, cook, wash dishes, clothes or put on the heating without it. 3 other lads living in this house and only for i'll get to the gym later i'd be fúcked for a shower. And it says on the Finglas County Council site that it may be a few more days before here is fixed.

No water here since Monday morning. It's a fúcking joke. They have tankers roaming around and because the water went while i was at work i haven't been able to buy a big enough carton to fill the water in. I only get home 15 minutes before they leave anyways so all i can do is get around with a few bottles. All the local shops are sold out of bottles of water. Couldn't get any last night in 4 shops. Like how are you supposed to shower, flush toilets, cook, wash dishes, clothes or put on the heating without it. 3 other lads living in this house and only for i'll get to the gym later i'd be fúcked for a shower. And it says on the Finglas County Council site that it may be a few more days before here is fixed.

What's more is the public pools aren't opening their showers for residents to wash themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I've had no water or heating for three weeks, and my heating is still bust as pipes have burst around the boiler. My watertanks froze, shower lines froze, mains froze, etc. Everything was properly insulated but it froze regardless. If I had thought of dripping a tap I would have done it immediately.

The excuse that dripping taps is to blame for the shortages is ridiculous - why is there no redundancy in the system, why has capacity not been continually expanded over all the decades that have passed ?

Instead of being proactive and doing something about it, years ago or all along, the gov and councils would rather sit on their asses, do virtually nothing, then try and blame people for taking a reasonable precaution to try and prevent their houses from being flooded and destroyed by burst/thawing pipes. It has long been known that the likes of, say Dublin, have been nearly at full capacity, but yet nothing has been done.

So what the fup have we been paying taxes and rates for all these years for ? Can they quantify how much was lost due to people dripping taps, or how much was lost due to burst pipes which might have been prevented if people had dripped taps ?
    How much was (and is) being lost due to leaks which are the councils responsibility (are figures like 20-30% or more of all water lost due to this true ?).

These idiots, and don't forget they are working for us, are being very well paid to provide a basic service, and yet in such a wet country as this they cannot even provide enough extra capacity to tide over for a few weeks of a cold snap.

It's the same typical, bumbling incompetency and responsibility shirking that we've seen over and over again in this country and I'm utterly sick of it. /Rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't imagine it's dripping taps that have cost an extra 8% water usage - it's people running taps 24/7 and burst pipes.

I don't imagine it's dripping taps that have cost an extra 8% water usage - it's people running taps 24/7 and burst pipes.

I'd love to meet people who ran taps 24/7. Also would love for FDB and the other insurance agents who advised people to run taps to stand up and take some blame.

However, this blaming of people is taking away from the real issue... the real issue is the burst pipes. Loosing much more water that way then from people running taps...

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why should the rest of the country shut down shop because your having problems. I'd more than likely never see the water that appears in your taps and it's not like people had there taps turned on full, they had a trickle coming out of the taps. Most the homes in my area where unaffected the newer houses that where thrown up in a shot all had frozen taps unless they kept the taps running. Many businesses ended up with frozen pipes because they didn't run the taps.

Your water problems have nothing to do with me so you'd be much better off talking to your neighbours than announcing to the nation that they're all bastards because your water doesn't work.

I think ur not reading the whole thread.. i'm no the only one with problems here!!
    And yes.. water is precious and should be preserved.. i'm only giving my opinion coz this is what boards.ie is for!!
    I just wanted advice on where to get a big container to get water from the tankers!! and explained my situation as i see it..
    I didnt call anybody names and i didnt expect the country to shut down for me!! Just want my water back like evybody else!!
    Sure ur not having problems coz u left ur tap running.. go an open another thread for water wasters and leave the ones that have them talk about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'd love to meet people who ran taps 24/7. Also would love for FDB and the other insurance agents who advised people to run taps to stand up and take some blame.

However, this blaming of people is taking away from the real issue... the real issue is the burst pipes. Loosing much more water that way then from people running taps...

Aye, that's what not replacing 100 year old pipes does for your infrastructure...

Aye, that's what not replacing 100 year old pipes does for your infrastructure...

In 2006 a commissioned plan was put in place to do just that. Consultation ended in Feb 2009, and since then literally nothing has occurred.

Young people of Ireland, it's time to emigrate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I've never heard of anyone that would do such a stupid thing (although I've no doubt that some probably do exist).

However the question is where are the gov and councils pulling this from, how do they know they exist, what figures have they got, basically where's the evidence ?
    Unless they've got solid proof that tens of thousands of people, if not more, have been running taps at full blast, they're simply bull****ting.

I would expect that burst pipes, mostly those outside of homes as the house mains would be fairly quickly shut off, are the cause of most water loss.

And I've just had a quick google for efficiency rates and found that in 1996 water losses from leaky pipes were estimated to be 40% in Dublin and 47% nationwide in 2000, which is incredible. That seems to be almost 6 times greater than England from the figures provided. Has this been improved much since ? I doubt it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_sanitation_in_Ireland#Efficiency_and_levels_of_water_leakage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sure ur not having problems coz u left ur tap running.. go an open another thread for water wasters and leave the ones that have them talk about it!!
    I didn't run my taps, I live in a building that's probably around 150 years old they made them to last back then. I may have no heating and single glazed windows but my pipes or anyone else's in the building didn't freeze.

What I don't like is that this is happening mainly in built up areas and with new houses. There are specific reasons why your tapes froze and calling for the entire country to be taxed because a few people are having problems that could have easily been prevented is just wrong and guaranteed to solve nothing. I appreciate your without water and water is just something that no person can go without but look at the real causes, allot of people are panicking and playing right into the hands of the government who just want to hit us up for more cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 taxi wife

Living in Rathmines. This is our 6th day with hardly any water. Unable to shower wash clothes etc.
    Does anybody have an idea when they intend to resolve this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

you should try camping shops for large containers,for example omearas camping

also if you have any buckets or large containers put them outside to colect rain water and use them to flush the toilet,thatl save quite a bit of water as loo uses about 9litres per flush.make sure you hold the stopcock to prevent it from refilling from the water tank and dont add it until its stopped flushing

if its yellow let it mellow,if its brown flush it down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 taxi wife

you should try camping shops for large containers,for example omearas camping

also if you have any buckets or large containers put them outside to colect rain water and use them to flush the toilet,thatl save quite a bit of water as loo uses about 9litres per flush.make sure you hold the stopcock to prevent it from refilling from the water tank and dont add it until its stopped flushing

if its yellow let it mellow,if its brown flush it down!

haha love the rhyme. have been doing some of the above but that really isn't the issue. when is this going to be resolved??

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

In 2006 a commissioned plan was put in place to do just that. Consultation ended in Feb 2009, and since then literally nothing has occurred.

You got a source for this? I have some arguements to win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I've had no water or heating for three weeks, and my heating is still bust as pipes have burst around the boiler. My watertanks froze, shower lines froze, mains froze, etc. Everything was properly insulated but it froze regardless. If I had thought of dripping a tap I would have done it immediately.

The excuse that dripping taps is to blame for the shortages is ridiculous - why is there no redundancy in the system, why has capacity not been continually expanded over all the decades that have passed ?

Instead of being proactive and doing something about it, years ago or all along, the gov and councils would rather sit on their asses, do virtually nothing, then try and blame people for taking a reasonable precaution to try and prevent their houses from being flooded and destroyed by burst/thawing pipes. It has long been known that the likes of, say Dublin, have been nearly at full capacity, but yet nothing has been done.

So what the fup have we been paying taxes and rates for all these years for ? Can they quantify how much was lost due to people dripping taps, or how much was lost due to burst pipes which might have been prevented if people had dripped taps ?
    How much was (and is) being lost due to leaks which are the councils responsibility (are figures like 20-30% or more of all water lost due to this true ?).

These idiots, and don't forget they are working for us, are being very well paid to provide a basic service, and yet in such a wet country as this they cannot even provide enough extra capacity to tide over for a few weeks of a cold snap.

It's the same typical, bumbling incompetency and responsibility shirking that we've seen over and over again in this country and I'm utterly sick of it. /Rant

You said in a nutshell, we are paying taxes, rates in some cases and the people in charge are being very well paid.....out of our tax money! That is where most of the money is going.Another reason we have a shortage of water though it is falling from the sky by and large 4 out of 7 days in the week, is we do not have enough water treatment plants and reservoirs. The week of the floods, our wee country was drowning from the centre and IMO it had nothing to do with rainfall. Think on, if October was SO dry, can anybody really remember November being so wet? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

people only have themselves to blame. there's been countless warnings not to leave taps running constantly. did people listen? nah, course not. did they think there'd be no consequences? probably. apologies of course to people who did heed the warnings, but that's the way it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It'll be interesting when the water tax is implimented and they use this waffle excuse of "oh people left taps on constantly all through the winter" and provide no proof of it.

Chambers Ireland has already jumped on the band wagon to tax people for water. The obvious conclusion (much like the bin tax) is to then privatise the water supply a la England & Wales. The state will get people paying for the water at first, the taxpayer will pay for the system, it'll then be sold and the tax will just keep dublin' and dublin' and dublin'

http://www.chambers.ie/article.php?newsid=637
    Introduce Domestic Water Charges as a Matter of Urgency
    Published: Wednesday January 13, 2010

Apply User Pays Principle Now

Chambers Ireland has today (13/01/10) said that the water crisis currently facing many counties across the country highlights the need for water meters and charges for all users to be introduced as a matter of urgency.

Seán Murphy, Deputy Chief Executive, Chambers Ireland said, “Many local authorities have been forced to reduce water pressure and in some cases stop supplies completely as many of the nation’s reservoirs are at critically low levels.”

“In one Dublin local authority, the water demands spiked at 82,733 metres cubed on Sunday compared to an average demand of 72,000 metres cubed. This jump in demand came as result of some burst water pipes but more significantly taps being left to run to prevent pipes freezing and people stocking up on water following viral SMS campaigns claiming that water supplies were being cut off. This simply would not happen if people were paying for these scarce resources.”

“Chambers Ireland welcomed the announcement that water meters would be introduced as part of the Programme for Government. However, given the events of recent weeks the schedule must be brought forward to delivery within one year. This estimated €2bn programme would also provide much needed stimulus to the construction sector.”

“The cost of providing Ireland’s ‘free’ public water supply for domestic users currently stands at €1.2bn. If we are to protect this precious resource, then all users must be conscious of how they use it. Moreover, in order to identify leaks and blockages throughout our water network, we must begin with a system of measuring what is being used.”

“The current National Development Plan (NDP) earmarked €4.75bn for water treatment programmes across the country. Ireland’s economy is much changed since the NDP was announced and the only way this could now be achieved is by raising additional revenue. The most equitable way of doing this is by creating more broad-based revenue streams which will focus not only on raising money for capital infrastructure investment programmes but will also incentivise conservation,” Murphy concluded.

Joe Higgins has a response to the above here.
    Higgins and the Socialist party fought the water tax in the 90s.

Does this not make people sick? We're being led around by the nose here. People leaving taps on 24/7? GTFO!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Everybody fills up bottles and jugs with a load of water before it gets turned off anyway so I fail to see the point in this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement