Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water supply turned off - who is running this mess?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

we've had no water since mid last week, you poor poor soul

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

take a look outside..it's pissing rain out here in Limerick.

Besides biatching at people why not have a bitch at John Gormley.
    40% of all the water in this country is wasted before it ever gets to homes.
    What does John say? "ah sure other countries have this problem".
    Not "I'll sit down with my people and come up with a plan to resolve it"...
    fúckin wánker...I hate the greens with a passion.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stoneytoad

Berkut wrote: »
    take a look outside..it's pissing rain out here in Limerick.

Fill a bucket :P

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If the government had spend X million euro preparing for the snow and cold that we just had and then we had a warm December, After Hours would be flooded with posts about how foolish they are, how the money would have been better spent elsewhere etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roboto

stick-dan wrote: »
    we've had no water since mid last week, you poor poor soul

... different standarts in dealing with issues. Water charges are not alien to other EU countries. They provide a way of making people use water in a sensible way. As long as it this commodity is free people will waste it... thats why there is no free (cheap) beer either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Jev/N wrote: »
    IIRC according to the news earlier, water usage had been up 25%, that's a big difference!

Of course, a large percentage of that will be due to broken and leaking pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Maybe people will insulate their pipes before next winter and stop this lark of running taps 24/7.

Whos to blame ? You, and your neighbours. /thread (or move to Dublin forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

engrish? wrote: »

If the government had spend X million euro preparing for the snow and cold that we just had and then we had a warm December, After Hours would be flooded with posts about how foolish they are, how the money would have been better spent elsewhere etc...

Yup, basically AH is an echo chamber of constant whining.

If the government made it rain cookies tomorrow the top thread on AH would be "Government leaves thousands without milk".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the government made it rain cookies tomorrow the top thread on AH would be "Government leaves thousands without milk".
    Ha, so true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMoose

They have plenty of water, they are preparing you for water charges.

They'll come out in a few days and say that water charges are needed, that if people paid for their water this would not happen.

Councils are scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

damoz wrote: »
    Maybe people will insulate their pipes before next winter and stop this lark of running taps 24/7.

Bit hard to insulate a pipe that was put under a few inches of concrete that is now a public footpath.

I am nine days without any running water, and all I was told by the local authorities this morning when they finally made an appearance on the street, was that it was most likely because when the pipes were first put down, that they were not put down anywhere near deep enough to avoid freezing weather.

So it is a bit rich to blame ordinary folk for crap planning of the water system in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

roboto wrote: »
    time to bring in the watermeter and charges; Why? - water is a not a given that can be wasted in such a way that it affects whole parts of the country in such a way. There is a cost of providing clean drinking water and there is also a need to have that service all the time. Wasting water like the last days is just a selfish act of some and now everybody pays... instead pay for that water used, that would solve that kind of behaviour.
    Why should the city's problems mean bills for the rest us? Why is it every time this government fails every ones happy to bail them out with taxes that go down a black hole never to be seen again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 do.ob

TheMoose wrote: »
    They have plenty of water, they are preparing you for water charges.

They'll come out in a few days and say that water charges are needed, that if people paid for their water this would not happen.

Councils are scum.

I'd be inclined to agree with you but i think there's something to this " decreased water pressure" thing. Our water wasn't turned off but I had a bit of a "dumb and dumber" situation with the toilet this morning (i wish i was joking) :(. Water poured in but it still wouldn't go down. So i started pushing it with the toilet brush while flushing (this has worked in the past) but still no joy. Ended up leaving the house with the upstairs toilet full of what can only be descirbed as "brown water" :eek:.

Unless the councils can decrease water pressure at will aswell (or maybe i was using the last of our tank).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

damoz wrote: »

I don't think people are leaving their taps running to the extent that Gormless is claiming.
    The problem is with the crumbling infrastrucutre.
    I'm sure the rest of the country is the same.

I know Dublin loses up to 40% of it's water in leaks at the best of times!
    So once again, a bit of harsh weather turns this into a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

spadder wrote: »
    [...]
    [...]

sad but true, i just never fail to be amazed by the scale of neglect and decay around here…maybe some of the billions wasted during the last few decades with eu aid and the boom and all would have been better invested in the infrastructure to bring the country’s basics up to modern standards…the current mess could have been avoided…

spadder wrote: »
    I don't think people are leaving their taps running to the extent that Gormless is claiming.
    I

yup and yet people still make excuses for the Govt.

It woz the global crisis wot caused our recession
    no grit
    now no water

blah blah blah

can we organise a lynch mob please and be done with this?

ps I suggest we also lynch Govt supporters in order to prevent them from spreading their genes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I hear stocks are running low on Cadburys Crunchies too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

I hear stocks are running low on Cadburys Crunchies too.

oh my god, i was afraid that would happen...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

engrish? wrote: »

Yup, basically AH is an echo chamber of constant whining.

Great.
    Lets just call any criticism of the way the country is run 'whining'.
    That saves anyone from having to address it, or pay attention to it.

'People are being killed by the mismanagement of the health system'
    - 'Stop your whining'

'A small elite is screwing up the economy for their own benefit'
    -'Stop your whining'

'The church raped the kids'
    -'Why didn't anyone say anything?'

We need to complain a lot more, not less.

We need to call out the stuff that is being badly run, and not let mismanagement slide, because we are afraid to be seen as rocking the boat.

And we need to put real pressure on the people who just aren't doing their jobs.

Sure, just moaning on its own is no good. But raising the issues, discussing them, and sometimes even getting angry when bad stuff is happening is part of the process of fixing it.

I found this thread constructive - I learned something about the underlying condition of the water situation I didn't know before (ie, its acknowledged that it is on the verge of disaster for a while)

If we just lazily accept mismanagement and a badly run country, and don't discuss it, then nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysusjones

fergalr wrote: »
    I'm in Terenure, and...

Your Ma....................?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShH1wkJ72YU

• Advertisement

Your Ma....................?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShH1wkJ72YU

No, I've just been renting here for less than a year.

It's a weird place though, there's only us and that family from the ad, that live in the whole of Terenure.

Everyone else probably moved out last time the water stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysusjones

It's a weird place though, there's only us and that family from the ad, that live in the whole of Terenure.

No, Now thats just silly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

This is beyond a joke now. No water since Sunday night and went around to several supermarkets today and everything sold out. *****g melting the snow now in order to flush the jacks.:mad: This goverment is a bloody disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

jumpguy wrote: »
    Relax man, according to the article they're reducing pressure, NOT turning off the water.

But if youre in an area where the water pressure is already $hyt€ as it is in many parts of Dublin (especially if you live in an upstairs apartment/flat) then reducing pressure = no water

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sad to say but this whole mess the country is in, is a complete example of how incompetent our government is at ruinning things now.
    Whats even sadder is that there is still fools out there that will re-elect these idiots again to power.

Anyone notice how FF TDs are keeping a very low profile in the last few months?
    Thats is when they bother to come home from their sunny holidays in Malta like our minister of transport!
    God forbid a national crises might disturb them!

This government now can't run a piss up in a brewery - why? Because even they have no water to make the beer!

THE LIST OF SOME OF THEIR INCOMPETENCE

TV3 right now is showing a one hour special to the current state and crises of the country and NOT ONE government representative would come on air to explain what the hell is going on.

They ALL REFUSED to do so and this was stated on air by the presenter and also that they tried very hard to get someone from our state to come on.
    They REFUSED!
    His words "You (the public) can draw your own conclusions from that!"

They don't give a flying fcuk about the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

No, I've just been renting here for less than a year.

Everyone else probably moved out last time the water stopped.

Watch that one... she's a sister of Iris......

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Biggins wrote: »
    Sad to say but this whole mess the country is in, is a complete example of how incompetent our government is at ruinning things now.
    Whats even sadder is that there is still fools out there that will re-elect these idiots again to power.

Anyone notice how FF TDs are keeping a very low profile in the last few months?
    Thats is when they bother to come home from their sunny holidays in Malta like our minister of transport!
    God forbid a national crises might disturb them!

This government now can't run a piss up in a brewery - why? Because even they have no water to make the beer!

THE LIST OF SOME OF THEIR INCOMPETENCE

TV3 right now is showing a one hour special to the current state and crises of the country and NOT ONE government representative would come on air to explain what the hell is going on.

They ALL REFUSED to do so and this was stated on air by the presenter and also that they tried very hard to get someone from our state to come on.
    They REFUSED!
    His words "You (the public) can draw your own conclusions from that!"

They don't give a flying fcuk about the people.

Just wondering who in opposition is taking it to them in the current "crisis" (or bit of snow and frost). No-one. Alot of them will get re-eletected for sure as there are no better alternatives.

I wouldnt blame FF for shunning a TV3 show (FG TV) when the title of said show is dramatising a cold snap like its the end of days. This is not a crisis. Haiti - now that is. A little perspective please...

Edit - just realised this is After Hours.. not the politics forum. Oops.. eh.... em.... yore ma !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Bandit12 wrote: »
    melting the snow now in order to flush the jacks.:mad:

Why not take a sh1t in the neighbours garden and cover it with snow? Save you a lot of trouble.

Culchies, no initiative. Pffft!

betafrog wrote: »
    Nope they turned it off, completely. My girlfriend works in a creche and their water was cut off in the middle of the day with no warning which meant that the toilets didn't work, there was no water to wash peoples hands and no water for making drinks/bottles etc... When they rang they were told that the water was gonna be off for the day and that it was their problem because they don't make priorities for anyone..

So not only do they not care for the general public but they also have no care for the health and safety of children.

And this morning when the water was back on the smell off of it was ridiculous, having a shower in water that smells like it came from the showers is pointless..

Would agree with that, they're all as bad as each other, wouldn't choose any of them to run the country. Unfortunately the only people capable of running the country have probably all long emigrated.

There's plenty of people capable of running the country well. We have some really smart people still in this country - the same people that become world class engineers, bankers, academics, philosophers, business people - clever people with good organisational and good problem solving skills. Theres lots of smart people in Ireland.

But if these people were to enter politics, they probably wouldn't get elected.

Most people wouldn't listen to them or find out about them, because people don't do any research on the candidates they elect.

And people would rather elect the guy who's dad they elected, just because they elected his dad, or vote for party X because their parents voted for party X.
    That's not how everyone in this country that votes does it, but it seems to be a lot of us.
    Sometimes it reminds me of the Bernard Shaw quote about democracy ensuring you are governed no better than you deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I dont want to fall on the rude side and say what i really think of ppol who openly defend that leaving taps running is a good idea!! Yes, we agree, there is a big problem with infrastructure but water is a natural resource and needs to be preserved!!! NOT WASTED!!!!

Yes, we still should blame the govt for their incapacity, but that still is not a excuse!! And if bringing on charges on water is gonna stop ppol wasting the water as they are, well then, bring them on!!!

I have no water since sunday, all the shops in the area are out of mineral water and yes, they are bringing water tankers to the area but i dont have big containers to collect the water, only a bucket that will probably arrive back home same way as it left: Empty!! And to make it worse, the update from the council today is that "Water supply may not return to the affected areas listed above (mine) for a number of days" So, WTF??? :mad:

Anyways.. anybody knows where can i get a big container with a lid so i can go get water to at least flush the toilet? thanks!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement