Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn Harps Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Yeah I saw the new training gear on their facebook page, so I'm hoping the jersey will be decent. Never really liked the Donegal Creameries logo, I think it made us a bit "toyish" for the lack of a better work (Like Portsmouth and Sheffield Wed. a few years ago with toyish looking logos). Wonder what the new Donegal Forestry logo will look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

In fairness it was better than a few years ago when it was the dairy section and we had a cow on the jersey... Wasn't a fan of daisi!

Yeah I dont think Dasi helped sell many gansies. Hopefully the new kit will give the team a more manley feel. I personally feel that wearing a jersey with a cow on it would make me feel inferior to my opponent.

rightyabe wrote: »
    I personally feel that wearing a jersey with a cow on it would make me feel inferior to my opponent.
    ah it came in in 2008, our years of languashing in the middle of d1 are explained :v
    Promotion will be easy this year! (I hope! Reckon d1 will be a real dogfight this year, id put 5 of the 8 teams in with a chance, our extended squad for the usl will really help tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Am I the only one that actually liked Daisi?

She certainly beat the hell out of the time we had Borderloo Toilet Hire on the back of our shirts. :eek:

Although that was sort of fantastic in its own way as well. :D

• Advertisement

She would have made a good mascot but not a big fan on the jerseys...
    When were borderloo? I can't remember them at all. Dunno how I would have missed that one! Guessing it came thru the sponsorship raffle... Speaking off which, was there one this year?

Don't think there's going to be one this year.

Borderloo were back when Gorman was in charge I think, it was 2006 anyway.

Jesus I would have had a good attendance the years either side of that... Can't believe I don't remember it!
    Wonder are they just negotiating all the spots on the jersey this year then. Are the forestry co nailed on as main sponsors & its the other spots spots they were in negotiations for... They said they would announce creameriea replacement this week... Then again it was ahem as the 'news' source for forestry

Not sure on that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Technique

overshoot wrote: »
    Jesus I would have had a good attendance the years either side of that... Can't believe I don't remember it!

It was on the back of the shirt.

• Advertisement

Talking about shirts, did Bobby Charlton or George Best ever pull on a Harps jersey? I remember I heard a story about one of them played for Harps in a charity match?

nice, good to have everything sorted! want more pics of the jersey tho!!! wonder will they be wearing it v derry tomorrow

51F599D1-D737-4EC7-AD0F-5F33F8B467BC-18850-00000FE3D329AA3A.jpg

Good news for Harps yesterday on a number of fronts. Firstly the senior team cruised to a 4-1 win over Mayo League to progress in the league cup. The team looks very fit and determined. Roll on the first league game in Waterford at the weekend!

Also the club had their AGM and reported a 33.5k profit for 2012. Also, the stadium project has seen some progress after various delays and should start moving quicker soon, but it now looks like we'll be moving with one stand completed and another under way. The other two stands will be completed later.

Finally Finn Harps Radio made a storming start to the season, misidentifying a goalscorer and initially not realising the fourth goal hadn't hit the side netting. :p

im just gonna steal neish's post from elsewhere to throw in a bit more detail
    News from tonight's AGM
    The main delay with the build since last AGM was due to the fact the club had submitted an invoice so that the next money could be released. This was submitted last February but only approved in september I must of mis-heard when i said issue was due to parking after the last meeting(apologies for that)

Several club members had a meeting with reps form the FAI & Ministry of sport(2 weeks ago) in which they queried the delay. The sports ministry apoligised for the delay and said the money would now be available

There is now significant funds available for the build.

Phase 1: of the build due to start shortly and expected to be completed by the end of the year. This phase will be building of main stand which will include a 2000 seat stand & admin building(Offices and changing rooms etc)

Phase 2: will hopefully start next year which will most likely be laying of pitch, installing of lights etc, parking & entrance to stadium.

Phase 3: will be building of 2nd stand but no date for this yet, untill phase 2 starts.

They said they may move once phase 2 is completed and pitch is playable(2015 or maybe 2016) operating from the new venue with just the 2000 seat stand and admin building. Then continue with build of 2nd stand

Then the rest of the build(2 end stands) to continue in phases in later years.
    kinda suprised they actually apologised!
    would be more than happy if we get phase 3 finished 2018 or so...
    would be shocked to see the goal ends built before 2020 considering the above would have us at a capacity of 4k... it would be a damn good problem to have if we need them before that!

oh and we also got 24k in january for stephen mclaughlin going across the water from derry

its back!!!!
    updates on highland radio around 740 805 830 905 920 935
    the usuals from harps radio couldnt make it

waterford radio & extratime will have to do til we get back to finn park next week... mon the harps!

Gall

Dee, Keith, McMonagle, Matty

Hagey, McBride, Wiz

Funsty, Kev, Brollz

subs:
    McCarron
    M Doherty
    Handy
    Patton
    Harkin
    Forks
    T Bonner

Finished 1-1 with an 89th minute equaliser from McCarron.

Good away result against probably the favourites for the First Division.

Looking forward to Cobh Ramblers at home next week.

Technique wrote: »
    Finished 1-1 with an 89th minute equaliser from McCarron.

Good away result against probably the favourites for the First Division.

Looking forward to Cobh Ramblers at home next week.
    and mchugh hit the post with a 30 yard free a minute later... another minute later mcbride was sent off (harshly by any account iv seen... and by the same ref who sent him off in limerick last year for mouthing off when he gave a penalty for a foul outside the box... and a 8 game ban too)

also very good interview in the donegal news with pizza by chris mc nulty if anyones missed it

a very interesting interview on highland with pizza after the waterford game regarding the sending off. worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Safe to say we went mental to that equaliser! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

My throat is still sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

First home game of the new season tonight guys! Kick off is 8pm. These lads have put in a tremendous amount of work so far and Pizza is doing great work at the club. Come down tonight and support them. Remember kids entry is only €1 with every paying adult. Up the Harps!

Won 4-1, sounds like we absolutely battered them. We're top of the league overnight at least :)

Longford at home next Saturday as Ireland are playing on Friday night.

Mr_A wrote: »
    Won 4-1, sounds like we absolutely battered them. We're top of the league overnight at least :)

Longford at home next Saturday as Ireland are playing on Friday night.
    battered as right, if we were more clinical or mccarron didn't go off injured it could have been a lot more. Pretty sure cobh didn't have a proper shot in the second half (plenty of possession just weren't allowed to do anything with it). Cowen & co broke up everything.

mccarron looks excellent tho... Runs his heart out. Himself n kev could have a great partnership this year

Anyway welcome back cobh... I missed ye but the honeymoon is over!

Great win for Harps tonight... that man Kevin McHugh with the only goal in what sounded like a very close game. We don't go top as Mervue unexpectedly went on a goal rampage in Waterford, but we play them next, in Mervue.

Hutton really seems to have done a great job preparing the team for this season, long may it continue!

Fantastic goal by kev, turned his man at the edge of the box n placed it in the net.
    Both teams probably could have had a few goals n the ref lost the plot second half... Actually thought he had let the game flow well in the first. Harps probably slightly better but wouldn't have begrudged longford the point.

723 in tonight too up 100 on last week hopefully we can keep em coming! Bus to mervue next week too for our second top of the table clash in a week after they unexpectedly battered Waterford! Expected to be 20 return, stops from letterkenny down to ballyshannon

kevin mchugh up to joint 7th on the all time loi goalscorers list with his 4th goal in 4 games tonight as harps came from 2 down to stay unbeaten. ciaran gallagher saved a penalty at 2-2 also with mcmonagle getting us back into it after half time. althlone drew and d1 favourites waterford lost so good night overall

All-Time until end of 2012
    (as of tonight)

1. Brendan Bradley 235
    2. Jason Byrne 193 * (196)
    3. Pat Morley 182
    4. Turlough O'Connor 178
    5. Donal Leahy 162
    6. Glen Crowe 159
    7. Stephen Geoghegan 158
    8. Johnny Matthews 156
    9. Kevin McHugh 154 * (158)
    10. Alfie Hale 153

other harpers
    13 Jonathan Speak 135
    32. Con McLoughlin 110

wexford at home on friday where super kev could move up to 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good to see Kevin about to overtake Crowe, always liked him as a player.

Having said that, he should be well clear if he had scored more for us, but under Kenny I don't think he ever got to play as an out-and-out striker.

overshoot wrote: »
    kevin mchugh up to joint 7th on the all time loi goalscorers list with his 4th goal in 4 games tonight as harps came from 2 down to stay unbeaten. ciaran gallagher saved a penalty at 2-2 also with mcmonagle getting us back into it after half time. althlone drew and d1 favourites waterford lost so good night overall

All-Time until end of 2012
    (as of tonight)

1. Brendan Bradley 235
    2. Jason Byrne 193 * (196)
    3. Pat Morley 182
    4. Turlough O'Connor 178
    5. Donal Leahy 162
    6. Glen Crowe 159
    7. Stephen Geoghegan 158
    8. Johnny Matthews 156
    9. Kevin McHugh 154 * (158)
    10. Alfie Hale 153

other harpers
    13 Jonathan Speak 135
    32. Con McLoughlin 110

wexford at home on friday where super kev could move up to 6th

Kevin could realistically finish the season as 5th overall.

• Advertisement

Met seamie Coleman in the abbey tonight, sound lad, harps man at heart which is good to know. Couldn't begrudge him going to sligo tho in terms of making a living for himself at that stage in his career, when he was still a teen, they could simply offer more than we could afford.

Lets face it, it probably costs a large percentage of players in this country to play senior football because of financial restrictions of clubs so respect for all those on the pitch who do it.

We can moan about performances and style, but at least with harps players given our budget, its worth remembering they are there for the love of the club and game. So lets get behind the lads for what looks set to be a pivotal season where we can rise from obscurity and fulfill our often mentioned potential!

Advertisement