Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would have thought that a 15% evasion level should be enough to justify the Broadcasting Charge being introduced. UPC and Sky, together with other payTV platforms, should collect the licence fee from their customers in the same way that they collect VAT. They would then inform the An Post of the customers name and address so that they can be credited with the fee.

If it does come back after the election, it will be called something else. It should always have been collected on the ESB bill, but now by ESB Networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

icdg wrote: »
    The proposed public service broadcasting charge has now officially been abandoned until after the election, and in reality will probably not happen for the foreseeable future.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/licence-fee-evasion-crackdown-but-no-broadcasting-charge-1.2183952

Seems like everything that was said on Morning Ireland is in that story except a mention of Morning Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I would have thought that a 15% evasion level should be enough to justify the Broadcasting Charge being introduced. UPC and Sky, together with other payTV platforms, should collect the licence fee from their customers in the same way that they collect VAT. They would then inform the An Post of the customers name and address so that they can be credited with the fee.

If it does come back after the election, it will be called something else. It should always have been collected on the ESB bill, but now by ESB Networks.

You can have SKY without having a TV :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You can have SKY without having a TV :/

The charge will be regardless of equipment

The STB is a TV set, unless you are talking about Sky broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Elmo wrote: »
    The charge will be regardless of equipment

The STB is a TV set, unless you are talking about Sky broadband

You don't need the STB, you can just use skygo on a mobile device or laptop - which are currently outside the legislation.

• Advertisement

You don't need the STB, you can just use skygo on a mobile device or laptop - which are currently outside the legislation.

Also sky go as well sorry forgot that. €500m and growing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sky know what you are getting and charge you accordingly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget the AnPost collection fee too :mad:

In the past TV rental and cable companies had to rat out their customers. So it's not something that could be re-introduced.

Don't forget the AnPost collection fee too :mad:

In the past TV rental and cable companies had to rat out their customers. So it's not something that could be re-introduced.

TV rental company possibly would still have to. AFAIK if you buy a TV the seller should inform An Post.

Cablelink was part owned by RTÉ so prob wasn't difficult.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    TV rental company possibly would still have to. AFAIK if you buy a TV the seller should inform An Post.

In the UK (or certainly in England and Wales) you have to provide your name and address to the dealer whenever you purchase a TV or STB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I see no valid reason I should provide a vendor with my name and address and/or any other personal details.

I have never seen any of those vendors display anything to the effect that they have had a Data Protection audit or are approved to hold such information about their customers.
    Maybe I missed them! :(

If I have the cash and he is willing to sell and provide receipt etc then that is all he needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I know this has been touched upon etc, but have to post.

The amt of ads during Rise of the Plant of the Apes on TV£ tonight was.

Truly truly shocking.

Suddenly the license fee seem reasonable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Girlfriend just got a court summons for no tv licence. Here's the thing. She doesn't have a TV. She is Brazilian and watches only on the internet, and is working home care so is only in the apartment 2 days a week. The tv licence guy rang her doorbell 6 months ago and said 'oh, you just moved in, ill give you some time', he took her name, and never asked if she had a tv. Now she will need to take a day off work (she cannot take a few hours off, it has to be a full shift i.e. day) to go to court to tell them she doesn't have a tv. what bs is this. Is there a chance the judge will not believe she doesn't have a TV? Should I get her to get a solicitor? Will an post pay her costs? Thanks.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Girlfriend just got a court summons for no tv licence. Here's the thing. She doesn't have a TV. She is Brazilian and watches only on the internet, and is working home care so is only in the apartment 2 days a week. The tv licence guy rang her doorbell 6 months ago and said 'oh, you just moved in, ill give you some time', he took her name, and never asked if she had a tv. Now she will need to take a day off work (she cannot take a few hours off, it has to be a full shift i.e. day) to go to court to tell them she doesn't have a tv. what bs is this. Is there a chance the judge will not believe she doesn't have a TV? Should I get her to get a solicitor? Will an post pay her costs? Thanks.

Have you rang tv licencing to explain is there a TV at the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 don023

A postcard from a license inspector came through the letterbox while my partner was cooking dinner (the front door is pretty much off the kitchen).

The postcard said they could not get our attention (even tho no knock at the door) and that a satellite/antenna/TV was seen and they'll be back within 10 days.

We live in a terraced house and so its difficult to tell who owns which chimney and some can be shared but our neighbour's (who have moved out) must have had sky because there is a satellite attached to our chimney and as far as I can tell the wire goes into their house but looks like its ours.

What can I do about this? Am I liable to pay tv license because someone else's satellite is attached to the only roof appendage?

don023 wrote: »
    A postcard from a license inspector came through the letterbox while my partner was cooking dinner (the front door is pretty much off the kitchen).

The postcard said they could not get our attention (even tho no knock at the door) and that a satellite/antenna/TV was seen and they'll be back within 10 days.

We live in a terraced house and so its difficult to tell who owns which chimney and some can be shared but our neighbour's (who have moved out) must have had sky because there is a satellite attached to our chimney and as far as I can tell the wire goes into their house but looks like its ours.

What can I do about this? Am I liable to pay tv license because someone else's satellite is attached to the only roof appendage?

You are obliged to pay a TV licence if you have, on your premises, the equipment necessary to receive TV broadcasts, even if such equipment is a combination of individual devices.

Johnboy1951 - Thanks for the textbook definition. Any idea what I should do if i don't own the equipment? I didnt put it there, im sure not going up on the roof of my rented apartment to take something down that doesnt belong to me, the reason its "on my premises" is because the neighbour had nowhere else to attach their satellite and have it face the right direction!!

If I pay to get it taken down it will prob cost the same to get a tv licence

Fred Swanson - apparently a dish, antenna, vcr, tv or any device capable of receiving a broadcast through digital or analogue means you have to pay for the license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Johnboy1951 - Thanks for the textbook definition. Any idea what I should do if i don't own the equipment? I didnt put it there, im sure not going up on the roof of my rented apartment to take something down that doesnt belong to me, the reason its "on my premises" is because the neighbour had nowhere else to attach their satellite and have it face the right direction!!

Fred Swanson - apparently a dish, antenna, vcr, tv or any device capable of receiving a broadcast through digital or analogue means you have to pay for the license
    A dish or antenna does not require a licence. Only the equipment connected to it, or not even connected but capable of receiving broadcasts.

• Advertisement

You do not own it, you cannot touch it.

You only have to pay a licence fee if you personally have the equipment capable of receiving the broadcasts at your premises.

So how would I prove that I don't own it? <---I mean even that sentence sounds damning

I tell TV license inspector its not mine... he/she says its on your roof, tough sh*t
    ??

So how would I prove that I don't own it? <---I mean even that sentence sounds damning

I tell TV license inspector its not mine... he/she says its on your roof, tough sh*t
    ??

Are you not reading the replies?
    You don't need to prove the dish does not belong to you as you don't need a licence for it.

??

As I said above ....

You are obliged to pay a TV licence if you have, on your premises, the equipment necessary to receive TV broadcasts, even if such equipment is a combination of individual devices.

That means ALL the equipment which together enables you to receive broadcast TV.

If you have such equipment in your home then you are obliged to get a licence.

A Sat dish can be one of those pieces equipment but if the rest are not present it, of itself, does not require a licence ..... whether you own it or not.

Of course if you do have equipment capable of receiving broadcast TV then your 'cover' is blown, so you had best get the licence.

Thanks Johnboy, so the satellite is enough to raise suspicion (that's why I received the postcard which had a circle around "satellite seen on premises") but it is not enough to force purchase of a tv license or removal of the satellite...

Thanks Johnboy, so the satellite is enough to raise suspicion (that's why I received the postcard which had a circle around "satellite seen on premises") but it is not enough to force purchase of a tv license or removal of the satellite...

Correct ...... on its own it is meaningless.
    There are many unused Sat dishes around the country.

Correct ...... on its own it is meaningless.
    There are many unused Sat dishes around the country.

......however, not having a dish or antenna is not proof that you don't have a tv ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Had the inspector out the other day, a fairly pushy one at that, gave him my name and told him i'm not obliged to have a licence as I have no equipment covered under it. He asked to search the house. I said no. He quoted the 2009 act, and that he had powers of search under it. I told him article 40 of the constitution means he can bugger off. So apparently he's off to get a warrant, off the district court I presume. So now i'm waiting for him to arrive back with a gaurd and a bit of paper to search through me socks and jocks.

There are 2 sky sats on the house, he actually pointed this out and said that was enough to seek a warrant. I said fair enough go get the warrant as its the only way a jumped up postman is getting in here. I have no tuners or tv's of any description within the house so i'm not really bothered about the search. Now I know the grown ups posting here will tell me to get a life but I'm actually happy to give these people the run around and highlight the farcical nature of it all.

I mean come on, warrants, district courts, gardaí all for €160, guilty until proven innocent attitude of these people stinks.

Had the inspector out the other day, a fairly pushy one at that, gave him my name and told him i'm not obliged to have a licence as I have no equipment covered under it. He asked to search the house. I said no. He quoted the 2009 act, and that he had powers of search under it. I told him article 40 of the constitution means he can bugger off. So apparently he's off to get a warrant, off the district court I presume. So now i'm waiting for him to arrive back with a gaurd and a bit of paper to search through me socks and jocks.

There are 2 sky sats on the house, he actually pointed this out and said that was enough to seek a warrant. I said fair enough go get the warrant as its the only way a jumped up postman is getting in here. I have no tuners or tv's of any description within the house so i'm not really bothered about the search. Now I know the grown ups posting here will tell me to get a life but I'm actually happy to give these people the run around and highlight the farcical nature of it all.

I mean come on, warrants, district courts, gardaí all for €160, guilty until proven innocent attitude of these people stinks.

Will the warrant permit 'the TV inspector' to enter the house, or will it be only for members of the force?

Just wondering what the situation would be if you refused him entry should he accompany the guards. :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement