Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stone Cold Sober" - what's the point ?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Any hot girls in this show?....do the lads go out pullin` instead of drinkin`?

No, it's been a sausage factory so far, mostly. There were some women in Ibiza, but they were, hmmmm, rough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Woof woof rough, or slapper rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I can't really see how someone managed to think this was a good idea.

So some guys are going to spend 6 months without any drink - or "without a hangover" as the promo puts it......so ****what ???? :rolleyes:

I reckon I've had one minor hangover in 6 months......it's called sensible drinking, and having decent, fun nights out with friends instead of getting polluted.

I know there's some ridiculous programmes (55 stone virgins and druggies sex fetishes, etc, etc) on the rubbish satellite channels, but I would have expected much, much more from RTE.

What happened to the days when people got onto TV because they actually achieved something worthwhile, rather than simply being sensible and leading a normal life ?

As I said, I'd expect it from some of the brain-dead channels, but RTE ?

Have they sunk to a new banal low with this ?
    i even get the impression the narrator of the show is bored and wonders how he ended up on such drivel....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

A little from column A and a little from column B.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 irishphoenix69

I guess for anyone who wants to stay sober or enjoy alcohol free holidays there's this great new idea http://www.soberholidays.ie. It's a villa in Portugal where you get away from it all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

blow69 wrote: »
    After listening to that guy attempting to rap the only advice I can give is to not give up the day job.

Oh wait...

Seriously though the show should dig deeper and maybe the guys should be signed up for councelling or something (obviously not film the entire session) where they can openly discuss if they are genuinely struggling, you never know they could be depressed. No job, copious amounts of alcohol, small town syndrome. All these lead to depression and a lot of the currently unemployed people could relate to this.

I just feel that the show is merely documenting six people trying to 'survive' without alcohol for six months. If they really wanted to make an impact, they should set about trying to make these people re evaluate their lives and lead them on a path of self-discovery. They could make life changing decisions for the better.
    +1
    There is so much complaining about this show but there are guys in every town in Ireland like this... it's actually sad that they are living for the weekend. I think it goes so much deeper than what the show is focusing on.
    It's good to show that there are so many young fellas with no jobs who p!ss away all their money, perhaps it will incense some of them to do something about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

justmaybe wrote: »
    Guys I think ye are missing the point. This drinking is going on in every village and town in Ireland and while it’s great “craic” it’s ruining marriages, lives, businesses and families. The lads were making the point that in their town there was nothing else to do but meet up in the local and have a few (dozen) pints etc. Hopefully this programme will show that there is something else to do in rural Ireland. Hopefully…
    Exactly!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tellingeye

Worst show ever!!!

These lads are just fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I dont think they're fools at all and must've taken quite a bit of balls to do the comedy night etc.
    I think they're quite representative of certain sections of young society today-
    Everyone knows a gang of lads like that

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

arent they bringing out a sequel to this called "solid steamed" where they get a group of lads that dont drink and have them go on the beer for six months solid??? 6 months aint impressive at all,, if it was a year i'd say 'well done'. maybe if they got jobs they might have something to do.....

...with the way they talk ya;d swear they were raging alcoholics in their 40's but they're in their twenties and go out thurs-sunday every week like the majority of the rest of people in their age group so why are they so special??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 sainttrap

I enjoyed the show and in fairness for those who did nt, there were only four episodes to endure. I agree with the poster that said a councillor should have talked to the lads as it would have highlighted deeper issues for their drinking. Drink is an easy short term option to try and escape from shyness, depression etc but I worry for alot of this country's youth and the long term effect of all this drinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

sainttrap wrote: »
    I enjoyed the show and in fairness for those who did nt, there were only four episodes to endure. I agree with the poster that said a councillor should have talked to the lads as it would have highlighted deeper issues for their drinking. Drink is an easy short term option to try and escape from shyness, depression etc but I worry for alot of this country's youth and the long term effect of all this drinking.

I agree. But goddamnit this was a BORING program and painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have you been to ibiza

:D

Why was it filmed in 'grim-o-vision'?

Everyone looked permanently tired and washed out, and Tullow looked bleak beyond words. It's not that bad a place really...is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Watched the last episode of this on repeat.. What a truly awful show it was.

Week 1: "jaysus I'd love a pint".
    Week 2: "jaysus I'd love a pint".
    Week 3: "jaysus I'd love a pint".
    Week 4: "jaysus I'd love a pint".

Agree about the grim-o-vision. Looked like it was filmed on a mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

wow at this complaining. its not tullow or whatver small town in ireland people are from that is the problem, it is the people. irish people have been conditioned to think that the 'weather is crap' and the only thing to do is to drink alcohol. your 'boring' if you don't drink.

what do you think people do in other countries? do you think in london/barcelona/new york/paris heck even dublin people go around checking out museums and stuff like that every weekend? heck no.

life is fun because of your friends/family/activities. i can honestly say having lived in another european country since i was a kid that irish people generally are very boring as a whole and need to broaden their horizons and become open-minded and also realise that its not boring to just have friends over and have a dinner party. or watch movies.

the obsession with drink has to stop. just drink to be sociable if you want but its not fun to get pissed every weekend. have to laugh at facebook when u see people describe their weekends in the same way every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

wow at this complaining. its not tullow or whatver small town in ireland people are from that is the problem, it is the people. irish people have been conditioned to think that the 'weather is crap' and the only thing to do is to drink alcohol. your 'boring' if you don't drink.

This being the TV board, I think the actual problem is that someone thought that this badly thought out, poorly shot and uninteresting televisual excrement (which, with a bit more polish and work, may possibly have been a mildly interesting "Young Scientists exhibition" entrant from a primary school, but no more than that) would make a good long term prime time television programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

ok the show sucks but i was replying to people saying how the show highlighted how little there is to do

Advertisement